Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2012, 20:39   #4411
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I need to do a Udupi-Bangalore drive on 29th. Planning to leave Udupi around 10 am. What is the best possible route (would have a sedan) and how much time should I budget for? Any lunch stopover suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th December 2012, 13:05   #4412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Updates !

The ghat though really bad at some stretches is still manageable. Buses and trucks do have a problem negotiating some of these turns , but car and SUV drivers shouldn't have a problem.
It was reported in this thread that some patch work has started from Sakaleshpur side. How long has it proceeded?

Also what is the better option to go to Udupi (same as the question posed by Enygma, but I'm doing the opposite)? Is it via Dharmathala-Karkala or is it via BC-Road-Mulki?

Prasad
Old 17th December 2012, 13:55   #4413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enygma View Post
I need to do a Udupi-Bangalore drive on 29th. Planning to leave Udupi around 10 am. What is the best possible route (would have a sedan) and how much time should I budget for? Any lunch stopover suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Udipi-Pumpwell circle ( mangalore) - Uppinangady-Sakleshpur-Hassan-Bangalore should be the fastest and best route . Just that you have to exercise caution on the ghat .

Lunch in Mangalore would mean entering the city which is a pain these days . Laxmi Nivas at Kalladka is where we usually stop ,dunno if they have lunch .
http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...er-milk-madras

Udipi Mangalore should take max 1.15 hours . While Mangalore -Bangalore takes about 6- 7 hours including pit n pee stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
It was reported in this thread that some patch work has started from Sakaleshpur side. How long has it proceeded?

Also what is the better option to go to Udupi (same as the question posed by Enygma, but I'm doing the opposite)? Is it via Dharmathala-Karkala or is it via BC-Road-Mulki?

Prasad
I saw some big patches missing from the road . A couple of toppled gas tankers and slow moving buses were not a great scene . I have always had fears about these sleeper buses toppling over , but this time , I braked suddenly as I was sure that this B9R in front of me would roll over for sure . This bus scrapped its underbody on this particular turn inspite of the driver raising the bus using the air bellows in the Volvo.

Dunno how do these bus operators manage driving these expensive buses on this road .

I returned this morning in a Durgamba B9R . When I asked the driver on the cracked windshield which wasnt there last week , he said they hit this crater on the ghat . He was also mentioning about how the suspension and the brakes have taken a hit by driving on this 10-15 kms of bad road .

About Udipi , like I mentioned , BC Road-Pumpwell-Suratkal-Mulki - Udipi should be the fastest.
speedsatya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 14:06   #4414
BHPian

Been to Sakleshpur - anemahal. Till Sakleshpur the roads are wonderful. And from there to Donigal too, it is nice.
Old 17th December 2012, 23:12   #4415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post

Udipi-Pumpwell circle ( mangalore) - Uppinangady-Sakleshpur-Hassan-Bangalore should be the fastest and best route . Just that you have to exercise caution on the ghat .

Lunch in Mangalore would mean entering the city which is a pain these days . Laxmi Nivas at Kalladka is where we usually stop ,dunno if they have lunch .
http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...er-milk-madras

Udipi Mangalore should take max 1.15 hours . While Mangalore -Bangalore takes about 6- 7 hours including pit n pee stops.

I saw some big patches missing from the road . A couple of toppled gas tankers and slow moving buses were not a great scene . I have always had fears about these sleeper buses toppling over , but this time , I braked suddenly as I was sure that this B9R in front of me would roll over for sure . This bus scrapped its underbody on this particular turn inspite of the driver raising the bus using the air bellows in the Volvo.

Dunno how do these bus operators manage driving these expensive buses on this road .

I returned this morning in a Durgamba B9R . When I asked the driver on the cracked windshield which wasnt there last week , he said they hit this crater on the ghat . He was also mentioning about how the suspension and the brakes have taken a hit by driving on this 10-15 kms of bad road .

About Udipi , like I mentioned , BC Road-Pumpwell-Suratkal-Mulki - Udipi should be the fastest.
Folks,

Need a favour.

I am planning a BLR Udupi trip coming Saturday. I need a couple of good restaurant suggestions similar to Kamat upachar or CCD which have decent toilet facilities and serve decent food.

Since I will be traveling with my infant kid, would be great if the first place is about 3 hrs and the second one is about 5.5 hrs driving distance from BLR. I don't have an estimate of the average speed that I can maintain, so all I can say is that, I am a sedate driver and generally do not exceed 80-90 km/hr even on GQ kinda roads, also the realistic time by when I can leave BLR is 8 AM.

I was thinking of taking the first break near Sakleshpur & a second one before Mangalore. I would like to have lunch at the second stop over.

Any suggestions? Please help.
Old 17th December 2012, 23:21   #4416
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
I was thinking of taking the first break near Sakleshpur & a second one before Mangalore. I would like to have lunch at the second stop over.
I would suggest take the first break at CCD/Kamat before Hassan. If you start by 6, I think with traffic, you should at this place by 8:30/9.
Sakleshpur may be an overkill for the first break given the fact that you have an infant on board.

But if you can manage it nothing like it.

Last edited by ampere : 17th December 2012 at 23:22.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 23:23   #4417
BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking of taking the first break near Sakleshpur & a second one before Mangalore. I would like to have lunch at the second stop over. Any suggestions? Please help.
The best options would be Hotel Mythri or else Surabhi Next in Sakleshpur and Hotel Aditya near Uppinangady. If you want something closer to Mangalore, you can stop over at Laxmi Nivas at Kalladka. Ambience is not so great, but the food you can not argue.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 01:22   #4418
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning a BLR Udupi trip coming Saturday. I need a couple of good restaurant suggestions similar to Kamat upachar or CCD which have decent toilet facilities and serve decent food.

also the realistic time by when I can leave BLR is 8 AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would suggest take the first break at CCD/Kamat before Hassan.
Sakleshpur may be an overkill for the first break given the fact that you have an infant on board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The best options would be Hotel Mythri or else Surabhi Next in Sakleshpur and Hotel Aditya near Uppinangady.
I went to Mythri restaurant on my last trip and this place served the best food I have had on this route till date i.e. before the ghat section. They had varieties early in the morning at about 8:00 AM and everything we ordered was yum. Hotel Adithya near Uppinangady is also a good option with decent food.

As Ampere mentioned Sakleshpur may be an overkill for the 1st break. May be you can enter Hassan town and take your 1st break at Hotel Krishna or there is another one with the name starting from S, guess Sanman on the LHS. (can't recall the name).

I am also doing a trip to Mangalore this weekend. I may be starting very early in the morning at about 4:00 AM on Saturday.
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 12:01   #4419
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine knows a KSRTC Volvo bus driver who drives between Bangalore and Mangalore. So my friend checked with him and told me that about 50% of the patchwork is completed. Like last year, I guess most work will be completed by year end.

I am planning to start at 3 AM (from Sarjapur, which means 4 AM from Yashwantpur) on Sunday the 23rd morning. Any BHPians with similar plans? Please PM me.
Old 18th December 2012, 12:32   #4420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I am planning to start at 3 AM (from Sarjapur, which means 4 AM from Yashwantpur) on Sunday the 23rd morning. Any BHPians with similar plans? Please PM me.
@Rohanjf I am planning on 22nd Morning Saturday aroud 6-7AM. Plan is to go from
Bangalore - Subramanya temple visit - Ujire (stay).. (back on 25th).

The best I can do is to update the exact road condition on this thread by evening once I reach Ujire on Saturday , provided those Shiradi Craters wont break my back !!
Old 18th December 2012, 13:24   #4421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would suggest take the first break at CCD/Kamat before Hassan. If you start by 6, I think with traffic, you should at this place by 8:30/9.

But if you can manage it nothing like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The best options would be Hotel Mythri or else Surabhi Next in Sakleshpur and Hotel Aditya near Uppinangady. If you want something closer to Mangalore, you can stop over at Laxmi Nivas at Kalladka. Ambience is not so great, but the food you can not argue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
I went to Mythri restaurant on my last trip and this place served the best food I have had on this route till date i.e. before the ghat section. They had varieties early in the morning at about 8:00 AM and everything we ordered was yum. Hotel Adithya near Uppinangady is also a good option with decent food.

As Ampere mentioned Sakleshpur may be an overkill for the 1st break. May be you can enter Hassan town and take your 1st break at Hotel Krishna or there is another one with the name starting from S, guess Sanman on the LHS. (can't recall the name).

I am also doing a trip to Mangalore this weekend. I may be starting very early in the morning at about 4:00 AM on Saturday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyon View Post
@Rohanjf I am planning on 22nd Morning Saturday aroud 6-7AM. Plan is to go from
Bangalore - Subramanya temple visit - Ujire (stay).. (back on 25th).

The best I can do is to update the exact road condition on this thread by evening once I reach Ujire on Saturday , provided those Shiradi Craters wont break my back !!
Thanks a lot Folks! . I will try my best to leave early say 6-7 AM .

So, the stopover options are

1. CCD/Kamat just before Hassan (CR-Patna)
2. Hotel Krishna @ Hassan
3. Hotel Mythri @ Sakleshpur
4. A personal contact suggested another place starting with "O" just before Sakleshpur. (This needs to be checked)
5. Hotel Aditya @ Uppinangaday
6. A personal contact suggested another place just before Uppinangady on the RHS. (This needs to be checked)

A few developments since yesterday, I may actually end up visiting Kukke enroute to Udupi.

So the itinerary would be BLR-HASSAN-Gundya-Kukke-Mangalore-Udupi.
As this is a pretty tight schedule, I may have no option but to leave by 6-7 AM.

So Kiyon, we might be tailing each other on the way (i.e. If I manage to leave BLR [Rajajinagar] by 6-7). Keep an eye open for a Metallic Sky Blue Ford Fusion No - 5272.
Old 18th December 2012, 13:45   #4422
Senior - BHPian

'A personal contact suggested another place starting with "O" just before Sakleshpur'

This place is Hotel Ossor, my favourite place always on this route, you get very good food and reasonable pricing. Other best options will be Kamat after Channarayapatna and Hotel Aadya Comforts again after Channarayapatna.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 14:58   #4423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
A friend of mine knows a KSRTC Volvo bus driver who drives between Bangalore and Mangalore. So my friend checked with him and told me that about 50% of the patchwork is completed. Like last year, I guess most work will be completed by year end.

Barring 2-3 weeks in the last month,I have been driving to Mangalore almost every weekend since September. Patchwork has been done on some stretches , but the bad ones have turned worse . You can only imagine how bad/deep the craters must be ,if you fear about a B9R toppling over !

New drivers on this stretch , just dont drive in the night . Over confident drivers , just dont tailgate the vehicle ahead of you
Old 18th December 2012, 20:43   #4424
BHPian

Quote:
4. A personal contact suggested another place starting with "O" just before Sakleshpur. (This needs to be checked)
5. Hotel Aditya @ Uppinangaday
6. A personal contact suggested another place just before Uppinangady on the RHS. (This needs to be checked)
4. Ossoor Restaurant
6. Aditya Hotel n Restaurant, which is on RHS before uppinangady junction.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 23:06   #4425
BHPian

Looks like a lot of BHPians heading towards Mangalore this weekend.

I will be driving my white Ritz VDI with 'got bhp?' decal on the rear bumper RHS. You spot this and you know who it is

I will start on Sat eve (around 5 PM) or Sunday early morn (around 4 AM). Plan yet to be finalized.

Most Viewed