Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2013, 20:51   #4546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy

Not worth it in this dry season. Take good road and reach home faster and may be go to a beach
How is the road quality on this stretch?
Old 21st March 2013, 23:41   #4547
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyaksha View Post
Planning to drive from Banagalore to Bekal .....
The route we are thinking of using currently is:
Bangalore - Channarayapattana - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Mangalore.
Then:
Mangalore - Kasargod - Bekal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
......... So i can safely say, you can use this route for your travel to kasargod.
As an alternative, has anyone taken the Bangalore - Mysore - Madikeri - Sullya -Kasargod route recently. I was wondering how good is the Mysore - Madikeri- Sullya stretch in particular ?
Old 22nd March 2013, 08:29   #4548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post

How is the road quality on this stretch?
Shiradi would be good. Bit rough but no bad bumps. Should be smooth sail
Old 23rd March 2013, 22:20   #4549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
As an alternative, has anyone taken the Bangalore - Mysore - Madikeri - Sullya -Kasargod route recently. I was wondering how good is the Mysore - Madikeri- Sullya stretch in particular ?
The stretch from Bangalore - Madikeri is in pretty good shape except for a couple of places. As per my relatives, who had come to Madikeri from Mangalore, the stretch around Sullia is in pretty bad condition. The roads in the ghat section are very good though.

May be someone who had been to Sullia/Puttur can put more light.
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 11:00   #4550
BHPian

Sampaje to BC road , you can expect a lot of bad roads. This stretch is supposed to asphalted by the end of May.
Puttur bypass is completed by the way.

Last edited by _chikku : 24th March 2013 at 11:01.
Old 25th March 2013, 11:21   #4551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to drive down to Mangalore in the 1st week of April from Bangalore. Last time I had been through Shiradi ghat. This time wanted to try a different route. Has anyone tried Charmadi ghat recently? Have heard about Charmadi being more scenic (Not expecting much in the April heat though..). At first I had thought about Kudremukh, but the detour would be nearly a 100kms, so dropped the plan.
The Charmadi Ghats is excellent now with a brand new surface. We were there 15 days back.
While it may not be great driving through this stretch during summer, it still has some fabulous views. Also the road from Mudigere to Hassan via Belur is excellent.
Old 25th March 2013, 11:26   #4552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to drive down to Mangalore in the 1st week of April from Bangalore. Last time I had been through Shiradi ghat. This time wanted to try a different route. Has anyone tried Charmadi ghat recently? Have heard about Charmadi being more scenic (Not expecting much in the April heat though..). At first I had thought about Kudremukh, but the detour would be nearly a 100kms, so dropped the plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyaksha View Post
Planning to drive from Banagalore to Bekal through Mangalore next week. We will drive two low GC cars (an A4 and a f30 328i).

The route we are thinking of using currently is:
Bangalore - Channarayapattana - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Mangalore.
Then:
Mangalore - Kasargod - Bekal.

I gather from recent posts that Sakleshpur - Gundya is the pain point in this route. Is it bad enough for us to have to use a different route altogether?
Take a look at this TL of mine. On the way back, why don't you try to come via Viarajpet?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...iri-bekal.html
Old 25th March 2013, 12:40   #4553
BHPian

Wow is Charmudi in excellent condition? I'm planning a quick visit to Dharma. While going I take shiradi & coming back planning to come via charmudi. Hope there won't be issues with my new Rapid which has done just 1k kms. My children has not seen charmudi, we always via shiradi. Same day after darshan, in hot sun I'll drive back home. Purpose is darshanam & some running in . Last week visited Kukke & came back same day in hot sun. No issues, all fluid levels are just perfect.
Old 25th March 2013, 14:24   #4554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, I didn't say the bypass is worse than Hassan city roads, there are no pot holes. It is something you have to tolerate for 15 minutes. That's all.
Samurai, Thanks for making it clear. I saw what you meant when I drove that Stretch over the weekend. The Hassan bypass is also getting better now and if work carries on at the current pace it should be done soon.

I have never seen such good roads in Shiradi ghats in my past 3 visits. The drive from Bangalore to Kukke was great except few patches where work is going on. I personally prefer rainy climate for the awesome views one can get in Shiradi ghats. But the road gets bad and drive is risky as well during rains.
Old 25th March 2013, 21:13   #4555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
The Charmadi Ghats is excellent now with a brand new surface. We were there 15 days back.
While it may not be great driving through this stretch during summer, it still has some fabulous views. Also the road from Mudigere to Hassan via Belur is excellent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Take a look at this TL of mine. On the way back, why don't you try to come via Viarajpet?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...iri-bekal.html
Thanks Fauji for update on Charmadi route. Virajpet route looks good too. Usually what would be the travel time if one takes this route? Also any update on the current condition of this route?

Btw, a good travelogue there.

Last edited by Me-hul : 25th March 2013 at 21:15.
Old 27th March 2013, 18:57   #4556
BHPian

Quote:
The four laning is no more WIP. The work has stopped since the contractor Navayuga is having some trouble back home, something to do with Jagan's arrest I hear.
The IRB Infra has landed the project from NHAI for construction of four lane on NH17 between Kundapur and Goa/K'taka border. The project has to be completed in 900 odd days. Hope they do a good job of it.
Old 27th March 2013, 19:15   #4557
Team-BHP Support

I drove the Shiradi again today, yeah I know...

They have opened up more new roads, so the drive between bellur cross and Channarayapattana is becoming better. Best news, they are building a bypass for Channarayapattana. That means we can avoid it in future, just like we avoid Kunigal.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 19:53   #4558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They have opened up more new roads, so the drive between bellur cross and Channarayapattana is becoming better. Best news, they are building a bypass for Channarayapattana. That means we can avoid it in future, just like we avoid Kunigal.
I hear Sakleshpur bypass too is on the cards.

Saw a land acquisition notice in today's TOI for the Hassan-BC Road road widening project. They have printed each survey no, where land is to be acquired for the whole Hassan-BC Road stretch, and have asked public to contact them about objections, if any.
Old 27th March 2013, 19:57   #4559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The IRB Infra has landed the project from NHAI for construction of four lane on NH17 between Kundapur and Goa/K'taka border. The project has to be completed in 900 odd days. Hope they do a good job of it.
You mean they have taken away the contract from the current contractor and given to a new contractor? They need 3 more years?
Old 27th March 2013, 20:43   #4560
BHPian

Quote:
You mean they have taken away the contract from the current contractor and given to a new contractor? They need 3 more years?
This hasn't been taken away from anyone else. It seems like a new contract. Hope they do a good job of it, considering south canara has worse implementation of highway development.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks