Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2013, 23:04   #4666
Senior - BHPian

More updates. Just back from our weekend mangalore drive. The ghat has just gone from bad to worse at some places. Did a mistake of starting at 1130 am from mangalore only to be stuck in the heavy Sunday traffic towards bangalore. Needed 5 hours to reach Sakleshpur ! While there was some patch work ( loose gravel ) being done on some of the real bad potholes , one has to be careful on small cars and sedans.

We encountered heavy fog at around 3 pm on the ghat with visibility down to a few car lengths only ! We were doing real slow when I suddenly see this vehicle with parking lights on in the middle of the road. Initially I assumed it was some vehicle which had broken down , when I saw these blinking lights come closer at me. Only then did I realise that this another one of those idiots who drive with parking lights on in rain , fog ,early mornings ,... Saw a couple of vehicles especially private cars which were driven with parking lights on. Was confusing at times as there were vehicles which had broken down also and were parked with lights on !!

Sakleshpur to Koramangala via Nice Road took us another 5 hours because of the heavy traffic heading home after the long weekend.

I think the best strategy on a Sunday towards a relaxed drive would be to plan your entry into Bangalore by 2 pm max.
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 23:48   #4667
BHPian

I did come back from Puttur. Only thing bugged me is why did NHAI made c.r.Patna bypass a narrow 2 lane road?
Old 19th August 2013, 09:44   #4668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
I did come back from Puttur. Only thing bugged me is why did NHAI made c.r.Patna bypass a narrow 2 lane road?
Add to that the Hassan bypass. Even that is only a 2 lane road. I think NHAI went on a cost cutting approach while constructing the Bellur cross to Hassan stretch. No large bypasses, overpasses over villages as compared to the Nelamangala-Bellur cross stretch. In fact they have skipped bypasses to potential traffic bottlenecks at Hirisave and Udayapura
Old 19th August 2013, 10:12   #4669
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I think Hassan bypass will probably have a 4 lane. Aren't they clearing along that stretch?

BTW, Kunigal bypass is a dream road. An amazing stretch of road that is...
Old 19th August 2013, 10:13   #4670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I think Hassan bypass will probably have a 4 lane. Aren't they clearing along that stretch?

Yup. They are clearing the road. I think i saw people working on side of the road.
Old 19th August 2013, 10:26   #4671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

hasan bypass is a tricky road. widening it will require considerable effort due to the road being at an elevation for most of the part. currently its a work in progress

i am back from mangalore by bus and since i did not want to take my brand new car on this stretch that too when its raining so much

fresh rains would remove even the signs of patch work. I think i ll only drive here in October and hope the patchwork is done by then
Old 19th August 2013, 10:46   #4672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nope. They are merely widening the 2 lane road. Even I was thinking it will be a 4 lane bypass when widening work started, but apparently only the 2 lane road is being widened and no 4 lane road is being done. I heard this from an acquaintance who works as an engineer for NHAI in Hassan.

It is only a matter of time before garages/dhabas start cropping up close to the bypass and start encroaching the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
hasan bypass is a tricky road. widening it will require considerable effort due to the road being at an elevation for most of the part. currently its a work in progress
Even the Kunigal bypass has an elevation for most part. Hassan bypass should have been made 4 lane and provided over bridges at the 2 major junctions. Total lack of foresight.

As I said in my previous post, if you compare the Nelamangala-Bellur Cross stretch with the Bellur Cross-Hassan stretch, you can easily notice the difference. This is blatant cost-cutting.
Old 19th August 2013, 10:53   #4673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

Nope. They are merely widening the 2 lane road. Even I was thinking it will be a 4 lane bypass when widening work started, but apparently only the 2 lane road is being widened and no 4 lane road is being done. I heard this from an acquaintance who works as an engineer for NHAI in Hassan.

It is only a matter of time before garages/dhabas start cropping up close to the bypass and start encroaching the road.

Even the Kunigal bypass has an elevation for most part. Hassan bypass should have been made 4 lane and provided over bridges at the 2 major junctions. Total lack of foresight.

As I said in my previous post, if you compare the Nelamangala-Bellur Cross stretch with the Bellur Cross-Hassan stretch, you can easily notice the difference. This is blatant cost-cutting.
Then its sad. Slow moving trucks reduce the speed considerably. i was actually thinking that apart from that railway bridge everything else can be made four line by elevating the slopes near that road. railway lines eat up their own sweet time.
Old 19th August 2013, 13:04   #4674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
i am back from mangalore by bus and since i did not want to take my brand new car on this stretch that too when its raining so much
Relatives are so scared of the bad roads in the ghat section that they've booked bus tickets without asking me because they don't want me driving there in my new car with the potholes, rain etc.

Not sure what I'll do come the weekend.
Old 19th August 2013, 14:32   #4675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think so. The stretch has uneven surface, construction is not upto the mark, probably because most of road surface is built on elevated surface.
Some of the bridges entry, exit are very bouncy indeed and quite annoying to keep the same pace as we keep for other stretch of the road.
I'm a regular on this route, I always make sure to cut down the speed at this stretch coz of the above said reason.
Old 19th August 2013, 15:10   #4676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I don't think so. The stretch has uneven surface, construction is not upto the mark, probably because most of road surface is built on elevated surface.
Some of the bridges entry, exit are very bouncy indeed and quite annoying to keep the same pace as we keep for other stretch of the road.
I'm a regular on this route, I always make sure to cut down the speed at this stretch coz of the above said reason.
Agree. There is this overbridge on a curve that has an uneven part and can unsettle anyone doing triple digits

I love the channrayapatna bypass. Awesome stretch to drive on
Old 20th August 2013, 00:58   #4677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I love the channrayapatna bypass. Awesome stretch to drive on
I completely agree! I frequently travel between Bangalore-Mangalore, and plan to do so this weekend as well. The Channarayapatna is an excellent stretch but sadly ends all too soon.

Overall, the entire drive is great - apart from the unfortunate ghat section. In its current state, it really is a sorry excuse for a road.
Old 20th August 2013, 02:34   #4678
Senior - BHPian

Requesting road condition update along NH17 from Mangalore up until Kundapura. Is it horrible or bad? Is it doable on a hatch?

Also requesting suggestions for place of stay in Mangalore. Budget accommodation, three bachelors.
Old 20th August 2013, 03:04   #4679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Also requesting suggestions for place of stay in Mangalore. Budget accommodation, three bachelors.
For places to stay, try any of these: Hotel Suman Residency or Nalapad Residency. I'm not entirely sure what your budget is, but these places have (had? early this year) air-conditioned rooms for under 1k a night.
lyneld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 03:24   #4680
Senior - BHPian

edit window over, please merge with above :

Also need update on

Mangalore - Bantwal - Puttur - Sullia - Madikeri - Gonikoppal - Thirunelly.

Any luck with animal sightings?

Most Viewed