Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2013, 22:15   #4876
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

The roads are so dug up, I have to say it reminds me of the mine truck days. Yes, it is that bad now. I usually don't slow down much for potholes, but this time I had to pause and wonder at certain stretches.

Some repair work was happening just before the Gundya checkpost.
Traveled to M'lore by bus this Sun night and return on Tue morning. After reading this post by Samurai-san was prepared for the worst. Traveled in Durgamaba A/c sleeper, the guy was in a mad hurry that atleast twice I almost got tossed out. Even just sitting on that sleeper clutching whatever was available to avoid injuries was a pain, literally. Tuesday, I returned by day in a multi-axle KSRTC Volvo and realized how bad the ghats have become. The Volvo driver, a lot saner guy, stopped couple of times to decide which crater to take - thats how bad it has become. Sedans were limping inch-by-inch, Oil/gas tankers and a couple of long (18.75mtrs) VRL logistics trucks were seen expertly maneuvering.

Saw patch work in 3 different places, but they seemed to be patching only smaller patches and didn't seem to touch the large ones.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 22:35   #4877
Team-BHP Support

Seriously, I am thinking Bisle ghat may be more comfortable than Shiradi ghat right now.

Edit: But then Bisle route is lot longer. Charmadi is probably the best bet now.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th December 2013 at 22:42.
Old 18th December 2013, 23:03   #4878
BHPian

Drove Bangalore to Murudeshwar via - Chitradurga, Shimoga - Sagar - Honnavar and finally on Coastal Highway.

Road is good all the way. Was pleasantly surprised with the condition of NH17. Also drive Murudeshwar to Kundapur and found that to be very good aswell.
Old 20th December 2013, 17:08   #4879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
From Kateel, I would suggest you drive down to Mangalore byepass - BC road - Bantwal - Belthangadi - Charmadi. Obviously, a longer route to avoid the tedious / winding roads on the Moodabidre - Venoor - Guruvayanakere stretch.

Hope this helps.
@roaming rao sir, how is the road condition on the Guruvayanakere-Venoor-Moodbidri route?
Old 20th December 2013, 17:39   #4880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
how is the road condition on the Guruvayanakere-Venoor-Moodbidri route?
Broken tarmac and sporadic potholes on the 20km very curvy Guruvayankere - Venoor stretch. 5km from Venoor to Moodabidre is good. We could drive the 35 km stretch in about an hour.
roamingrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 17:53   #4881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seriously, I am thinking Bisle ghat may be more comfortable than Shiradi ghat right now.
Bisle Ghat? Ahem!

Myself and cousin decided to explore this ghat around 8 months back since its just 25 km from my hometown. We took an old Omni so that there won't be any scraping issues. But our assumptions were wrong.

We entered from Kukke Subramanya side. Excellent roads for around 4 km. Then it suddenly turned into a mud road but was manageable. We then reached a temple. There we faced a Wagon-R which consisted of a group from Bangalore in the opposite direction. They stopped us and told that they saw the board for Sakaleshpur and took this route from Kukke. They negotiated until the temple, got scared by seeing the dense forests and decided to return. We told them that there is no issues in that ghat but they were completely shaken.

As soon as we crossed the temple, the mud road turned into a rocky terrain. We crawled for around 8 km and then Omni scraped at two places! We somehow managed to drive another 6 km and finally reached the summit. It was a very tiring and scary drive. But once we reached the summit, all the tireness went off after watching the beautiful scenery at the two view points. We gave up the idea of driving back in the ghats and hence took Somawarpet - Madikeri route to reach back Sullia.

The stretch from the summit of Bisle ghat to Sakaleshpur is also in a very bad shape. Instead of coming back to Sakaleshpur, one can go staright after climbing Bisle ghat which reaches Kodlipete near Shanivarasante. This stretch is manageable. It passes through beautiful back waters of Gorur Dam. From Kodlipete, one can take the Holenarasipur route to reach Channarayapatna.

I remember taking some pics of Bisle roads during our drive. I'll upload it if I find it. I hope they don't repair this ghat. If they repair it, crowd starts flowing in and the natural beauty will be completely spoilt.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 20th December 2013 at 18:09.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 23:33   #4882
Senior - BHPian

OT , but need some inputs.

Any idea on Davangere to Mangalore via Agumbe ? We are planning to avoid the Ankola - Mangalore stretch and try out this route for a change.
Old 20th December 2013, 23:45   #4883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
OT , but need some inputs.

Any idea on Davangere to Mangalore via Agumbe ? We are planning to avoid the Ankola - Mangalore stretch and try out this route for a change.
Pardon me sir for asking this, but how did Ankola come into the picture whilst driving from Davanagere to Mangalore unless you are meaning to take the Yellapur road for which you may have to drive north from Davanagere up to Bankapur or even further upto Hubli to take the yellapur road to Ankola (I mean you could be driving in the opposite direction altogether)

Davanagere to Mangalore via Agumbe is the natural choice of route as Ankola is way off from the chart. Davanagere to Honnali-SHimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Karkala (bypassing Udupi) -Mangalore. The route from Shimoga onwards towards Mangalore is pretty decent. Haven't been on that road for a while now though
Old 20th December 2013, 23:59   #4884
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Bisle Ghat? Ahem!

Myself and cousin decided to explore this ghat around 8 months back since its just 25 km from my hometown. We took an old Omni so that there won't be any scraping issues. But our assumptions were wrong.
I have taken bisle ghat numerous times. But always in a 4WD vehicle. You should see how buses drive on the road. I had hard time keeping up with a bus I was tailing once.

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 15:59   #4885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Pardon me sir for asking this, but how did Ankola come into the picture whilst driving from Davanagere to Mangalore unless you are meaning to take the Yellapur road for which you may have to drive north from Davanagere up to Bankapur or even further upto Hubli to take the yellapur road to Ankola (I mean you could be driving in the opposite direction altogether) Davanagere to Mangalore via Agumbe is the natural choice of route as Ankola is way off from the chart. Davanagere to Honnali-SHimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Karkala (bypassing Udupi) -Mangalore. The route from Shimoga onwards towards Mangalore is pretty decent. Haven't been on that road for a while now though
Apologies for the confusion. We are actually driving to mangalore from Mumbai. Instead of the usual route of taking Ankola road from Dharwad , we plan to take the Mumbai - Davangere - Shimoga - Mangalore route.
Old 21st December 2013, 20:32   #4886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should see how buses drive on the road. I had hard time keeping up with a bus I was tailing once.
One KSRTC bus goes from Kukke side to Sakaleshpur in the morning and it returns back in the evening. Poor chap was stuck behind our Omni for a long time due to space constraints for overtaking. We allowed him to overtake after crawling for around 2 km. He then gunned his engine and disappeared into thick forests. It belonged to Puttur depot and I pity the mechanic who'll be working on it. I could find the pics of our Bisle drive.

Butter smooth roads for first few km near Kukke:
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1.jpg

Wide broken roads after covering some distance:
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-3.jpg

Huge stones started making their appearance:
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-5.jpg

This was the condition for around 7-8 km. The roads were very narrow:
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-6.jpg

There were more horrible stretches but couldn't click pics of those. At one point, a 407 appeared in front of us out of nowhere. The road was so narrow that it was impossible for two vehicles to pass. We had to reverse almost 0.25 km to find a suitable place to pass each other.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 23:32   #4887
Team-BHP Support

At least you didn't have to deal with waterfall across the road.

My share of Bisle photos are here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...isle-ghat.html
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013, 12:57   #4888
Team-BHP Support

Took the Shiradi ghat to reach Surathkal from Bangalore yesterday. Many times, you have to stop the car, hit the reverse, crawl to the other side of the road to get around the seriously deep craters. Night driving is impossible now.

At Gundya, the road was blocked with barricades because of road repair work. All vehicles need to take the Subramanya road to reach Uppinangady - and that added extra 30 kms to the journey.
Old 23rd December 2013, 07:35   #4889
Team-BHP Support

I took the Shiradi ghats yesterday (22nd) towards Mangalore, with full family this time. The first few kms of bad roads have been patched up. But then another 20kms are really bad. I had to go slow at many places since my wife would yell at me otherwise. At one crater, my rear bumper banged into the road.

But there was no block at Gundya since the roads after that have been patched up.

I heard Rs.94 crores has been allocated to fix the roads this time. I thought we will get new roads. Instead we are getting the same old patchup or thyape!

The current union cabinet minister for Road Transport and Highways is from Udupi. Will we get a better deal this time, I can only wonder.
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:48   #4890
Senior - BHPian

I am travelling to Dharmasthala and then to Ujire this weekend from Bangalore. I would not like to take Shiradi Ghat at any cost as I will be driving a Santro Xing and my uncle with an Alto. Also I would not like to take Madikeri - Sullia - Puttur road since it will add up to 80kms to my journey.

Can anybody suggest me with the best route to Dharmasthala - Ujire.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks