Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2014, 18:38   #5011
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Had been on a round trip exploring the remote ghats last sunday.

Route taken : Bangalore - Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Sullia - Kukke Subramanya - Bisle - Shanivarasante - Holenarsipura - Channarayapatna - Bangalore.
Did you cover this round trip in a single day?

Quote:
Sullia - Doddathota - Guthigaru - Subramanya : good to excellent stretch
What time did you pass through Doddathotha? I was staying just 1 km from Doddathotha last weekend. If I had known your plans before, I would have invited you for a quick tea and also would have suggested some excellent roads from Doddathota to Subramanya . The stretch between Guttigaru - Subramanya is not completely done.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 20:18   #5012
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
But, I heard about bad roads around Bajagoli. Have they been fixed now?
Not Bajagoli. It is bad around Aladangadi. But the rest of the stretch is fine. The route has very little traffic, and no heavy vehicles at all.
Old 5th February 2014, 20:26   #5013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not Bajagoli. It is bad around Aladangadi. But the rest of the stretch is fine. The route has very little traffic, and no heavy vehicles at all.
That is useful info. Thanks for the same.
Some of the town names are really funny. Is there any connection between Golibaje and Bajagoli? I wonder if it originated from this place. Bele illada achari baleda..
Old 5th February 2014, 20:45   #5014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Did you cover this round trip in a single day?

What time did you pass through Doddathotha? I was staying just 1 km from Doddathotha last weekend. If I had known your plans before, I would have invited you for a quick tea and also would have suggested some excellent roads from Doddathota to Subramanya . The stretch between Guttigaru - Subramanya is not completely done.
Yes guyfrmblr, had it done in a single day. Bangalore 5am, Madikeri 9am to 10.30am break, Panathur 12.30pm, Sullia 1.30pm, Subramanya 2.30pm, Kooduraste 5pm, Arkalgudu 6pm, Channarayapatna 7pm and home at 9.30pm. Total 706kms.

Had passed through Doddathota around 2pm. Yes, the road from Guttigaru was being widened but nothing much to bother as baby chips were already laid.

Being familiar with the area, would you have suggested the inside road from Doddathota towards / joining the Panja - Bellare road ? Is that road good ?

Thank you for the thoughtful invite :-)
roamingrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 22:23   #5015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Total 706kms.
Oh! Thats quite a distance in a single day considering the bad roads.

Quote:
Had passed through Doddathota around 2pm.
I was detailing my car at that time. Its a perfect place for detailing unlike Bangalore where dust gets settled as soon as the car is washed.

Quote:
Being familiar with the area, would you have suggested the inside road from Doddathota towards / joining the Panja - Bellare road ? Is that road good ?
Yes, I would suggest to take a left at Doddathotha and travel towards Bellare - Panja - Kukke road. Once you take the left, just follow the signboards to Pajapalla which passes through Kukkujadka and Kalmadka. The roads are good. If the above route is confusing, you can take a left at Sonangeri (left at the Y-fork) which directly goes and joins Bellare. Even this road is good. The Bellare - Panja - Kukke road puts some of the best highways to shame. Its that great.

Once the Guttigaru - Kukke is ready, its the best and shortest route. Hopefully they'll complete the work by monsoon. Else need to wait for another year.
Old 5th February 2014, 23:52   #5016
BHPian

guyfrmblr,

Glad to know the good roads in the region. Thanks for the update on Bellare road. Will try it over the usual Kadaba road ( from Kukke to Mangalore ) next month. Though longer, it may be good to compare :-)

I found the Sullia - Guthigaru stretch too very inviting.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-108.jpgThe art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-111.jpg

Hope the good stretch is extended / completed till Kukke soon. Once completed, it could be a boon to people of this region / or even Kasargod to drive to Bangalore ( via Shiradi ).

Thanks again.
roamingrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 14:54   #5017
BHPian

Hi,

I am traveling to Manipal/ Udupi in an about an hour. If someone wants to go they can accompany me in my car.
pc1686 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 17:45   #5018
BHPian

Planning to go to Sakleshpur.

Would anyone have an update on the Yeshwantpur - Peenya section? Used to be a mess because of the metro work etc.

If I take Nelamangala flyover is there an exit to the SH48 towards Mangalore?

Have'nt been to that side of the town in ages.

Thanks in advance!
Old 7th February 2014, 18:36   #5019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercharlie View Post
Planning to go to Sakleshpur.

Would anyone have an update on the Yeshwantpur - Peenya section? Used to be a mess because of the metro work etc.

If I take Nelamangala flyover is there an exit to the SH48 towards Mangalore?

Have'nt been to that side of the town in ages.

Thanks in advance!
Yeshwantpur - Peenya section has been completed long time back and now it is pretty easy to cross yeshwantpur. Once you cross gorguntepalya signal, there is a elevated highway which leads to the Nelamangala Toll road.

If you are travelling from South part of Bangalore, you can take the ring road and reach Gorguntepalya junction. Also you can take Nice road and reach Tumkur Road.

And a correction, its not SH48 it is NH48. The exit to NH48 to reach Mangalore is right before the toll road ends. To identify the exit keep in mind on the right you will get a toll on the other side of the road, and after some 200mtrs you have the exit. Later when you go some 400mtrs on the service road you get a signal where you need to take a left.

Hope this helps:-) Happy Journey!!
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 18:42   #5020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
To identify the exit keep in mind on the right you will get a toll on the other side of the road, and after some 200mtrs you have the exit.
Yeah, keep looking on your far left you will see a big Lord Anjaneya statue .. when you are about to reach that take the exit...
Kiyon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 11:01   #5021
Team-BHP Support

This Sunday I experienced my worst timing for the usual 400Kms drive. I left Manipal at 12PM and reached my Bangalore home at 10:15PM. Two weeks back I had only taken 7 hours to drive other way.

Main cause for the delay: 5 toll gates and one railway crossing full of really stupid people.

Why do I say really stupid people? Let me explain. As we all know the toll booth in these roads have 4-5 lanes on each side. But when I approached each of those toll gates, I saw 8-10 lines. Even though there are only 4-5 lanes, lots of drivers drive between the lanes hoping cut into the proper lanes at the last moment, just before the toll booth. Once the fake line gets long enough, it is impossible to know which is the real lane and which is fake. At 3 of the 5 toll booths, I ended up joining the fake lane only to realise it as I got closer to the toll booth. Next I had to cut into one of the sides, receiving abuses from the drivers in the proper lane. Many buses indulged in fights with cars and tempo travellers, holding back the cars behind them. I spent 20-25 minutes at each toll booth due to this nonsense. I don't understand how these stupid people think, staying in proper lane from the beginning would take one across the toll booth lot faster than fighting to cut into the proper lane at last moment.

The railway crossing near Mathikere was a bigger nightmare. I had to stop for the train crossing, that was sheer bad luck. However, after I crossed both the train track, I had to again wait for another 20 minutes. Why? Because the really stupid people on the oncoming side had blocked every available space on the road. We could not go forward because we had oncoming traffic packed in my side of the lane. How stupid people can get, did they really think they can go faster if they block the oncoming traffic?
Old 11th February 2014, 11:14   #5022
BHPian

Quote:
This Sunday I experienced my worst timing for the usual 400Kms drive. I left Manipal at 12PM and reached my Bangalore home at 10:15PM. Two weeks back I had only taken 7 hours to drive other way.

Main cause for the delay: 5 toll gates and one railway crossing full of really stupid people.

Why do I say really stupid people? Let me explain. As we all know the toll booth in these roads have 4-5 lanes on each side. But when I approached each of those toll gates, I saw 8-10 lines. Even though there are only 4-5 lanes, lots of drivers drive between the lanes hoping cut into the proper lanes at the last moment, just before the toll booth. Once the fake line gets long enough, it is impossible to know which is the real lane and which is fake. At 3 of the 5 toll booths, I ended up joining the fake lane only to realise it as I got closer to the toll booth. Next I had to cut into one of the sides, receiving abuses from the drivers in the proper lane. Many buses indulged in fights with cars and tempo travellers, holding back the cars behind them. I spent 20-25 minutes at each toll booth due to this nonsense. I don't understand how these stupid people think, staying in proper lane from the beginning would take one across the toll booth lot faster than fighting to cut into the proper lane at last moment.

The railway crossing near Mathikere was a bigger nightmare. I had to stop for the train crossing, that was sheer bad luck. However, after I crossed both the train track, I had to again wait for another 20 minutes. Why? Because the really stupid people on the oncoming side had blocked every available space on the road. We could not go forward because we had oncoming traffic packed in my side of the lane. How stupid people can get, did they really think they can go faster if they block the oncoming traffic?
Same experience with me too, this Sunday. Luckily, I was a rear seat passenger watching all the circus. For the first time, NH48 reminded me of Mysore road & the toll booths reminded me of toll booths in MH I was also lucky near the Mathikere railway crossing, it was smooth flow
chandan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 11:16   #5023
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Same experience with me too, this Sunday. Luckily, I was a rear seat passenger watching all the circus. For the first time, NH48 reminded me of Mysore road & the toll booths reminded me of toll booths in MH I was also lucky near the Mathikere railway crossing, it was smooth flow
What time was it? I rarely come back on a Sunday, this was an exception. I hope this is not the case on other week days.
Old 11th February 2014, 11:30   #5024
BHPian

Quote:
What time was it? I rarely come back on a Sunday, this was an exception. I hope this is not the case on other week days.
Me too, never drive on this stretch on a Sunday post lunch. But this time, a friend of mine was doing the honours. Left Sakleshpur around 3 PM, reached RT Nagar at 7.30 PM. On weekdays, it would have taken 3.5 hr. BTW, the main reason behind the rush was a slew of weddings everywhere.
chandan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 11:37   #5025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have come back from Mangalore numerous times on Sunday but never faced this issue. NH-48 is one of the peaceful highways with most of the drivers behaving very well. It's sad to see this kind of situation. It was just your bad luck that most of the idiots were on NH-48 that day.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 11th February 2014 at 11:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks