Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2014, 17:02   #5146
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

The shortest is via Shiradi.

Hassan-Shiradi-Ujire-Bajagoli-Udupi

Another option albeit a bit longer is :

Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwar-Hebri-Udupi.

Very good roads and a bit low on ghat sections. (Just the Agumbe hairpins which are easier)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 18:34   #5147
BHPian

I did Shiradi route on 29th April and found the route to be excellent except for few rough patches after Hassan. Mangalore to Udupi is being converted to 4 lane now and work is mostly completed. Few diversions to be taken care of though. If you are going to Udupi town, then the regular turn at Udupi arch from Highway is closed now. Instead, you will have to take diversion at second right from the highway and this is clearly marked for identification. From Electronics City, I took Nice Road till Tumkur Road and took Bangalore-Mangalore Road from Nelemangala and the total distance to Udupi from Electrnic City was around 435 KM. Movement of Tube type Trucks carrying Oil is restricted during night on Shiradi ghat section.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 19:26   #5148
Senior - BHPian

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Just back from mangalore. Being a long weekend meant long queues at toll booths as well. And , at every toll booth , you have the jokers who would try to jump the queue , get into a fight with whoever tries to block them and in the whole process , block the entire lane.

We were stuck at 2 toll booths for close to 20 mins because of idiots like these.

Traffic was very heavy , we needed 7.30 hours to reach bangalore which included a 90 mins stop at Kamath.

As a rule , we usually avoid driving back on the last day of long weekends , but this time had to do this because of some unplanned programs at Mangalore. For the first time , we had to wait for 15 mins before we could get a table at Kamath.

With the roads being so good , we saw a couple of near misses especially on the channrayapatna bypass and the stretch between Mani and Gundya. There would be this long convoy of cars stuck behind some slow moving truck , when someone would suddenly switch on their lights and almost crash into oncoming traffic. Luckily we weren't involved in any of these close calls.

For anyone driving back to bangalore on the last day of long weekends , I would say plan your drive such that you reach your destination before noon if you don't want to be stuck at the toll booths

Sent from my mobile phone , please excuse typos

Last edited by speedsatya : 4th May 2014 at 19:28.
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 20:59   #5149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Just back from mangalore. Being a long weekend meant long queues at toll booths as well. And , at every toll booth , you have the jokers who would try to jump the queue , get into a fight with whoever tries to block them and in the whole process , block the entire lane.

We were stuck at 2 toll booths for close to 20 mins because of idiots like these.

Traffic was very heavy , we needed 7.30 hours to reach bangalore which included a 90 mins stop at Kamath.

As a rule , we usually avoid driving back on the last day of long weekends , but this time had to do this because of some unplanned programs at Mangalore. For the first time , we had to wait for 15 mins before we could get a table at Kamath.

With the roads being so good , we saw a couple of near misses especially on the channrayapatna bypass and the stretch between Mani and Gundya. There would be this long convoy of cars stuck behind some slow moving truck , when someone would suddenly switch on their lights and almost crash into oncoming traffic. Luckily we weren't involved in any of these close calls.
Sadly these are the side effects of having good roads.

I also avoid reaching bangalore between 4pm to 10pm during long weekends
Old 5th May 2014, 21:45   #5150
Senior - BHPian

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Sadly these are the side effects of having good roads.

I also avoid reaching bangalore between 4pm to 10pm during long weekends

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1399306401.645971.jpg

Attaching a pic from the ghat. If you notice , I am on the extreme left and there is a race going on with double and triple overtakings on blind corners

My preferred timings are 2 am from bangalore and reach mangalore by 8 am while it's 9 pm from mangalore ( you get a clear road till hassan ) and reach by 2.30-3 am

The blue ecosport was a rented car from Zoom cars driven by an idiot. He would drive on the center of the road and would get stuck by the turbo lag on his diesel car by trying to change gears mid-way through the incline. He would almost stall his car only for the convoy of bigger racer idiots behind him to become more impatient

Last edited by speedsatya : 5th May 2014 at 21:49.
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 22:04   #5151
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Attaching a pic from the ghat. If you notice , I am on the extreme left and there is a race going on with double and triple overtakings on blind corners
completely understand your plight - I directly experienced the same when I was on a day trip to kukke from bangalore and back this past saturday. The journey took 5.5 hrs in both directions, sedate driving, was also helped by the fact that it was not the last day of the long weekend.

However, still witnessed "rally cross" driving stunts in the shiradi ghats & on the hassan-sakleshpur stretch. Taxi innovas and BMW/Merc/Audi's were the main culprits. Most of the people driving these machines just cannot digest it if your humble maruti 'by chance' overtakes them - one guy nearly rear ended me because I refused to overtake a petrol tanker in a blind curve and he was like a terrier straining at its leash.

Sadly, these morons not only threaten their own life and property but also those of the innocent victims who are travelling in the opposite direction.
Old 5th May 2014, 22:11   #5152
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Mangalore to Bangalore this noon. Started from Kulashekhara at 2 PM and reached Bannerghatta road at 9 PM with 1 hour break at Swathi Delicacy. Two huge trees had fallen across the road at Shiradi but luckily there was space for a vehicle to pass. Being a weekday, the traffic was very thin and I enjoyed driving in empty roads.
Old 6th May 2014, 08:49   #5153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Drove from Mangalore to Bangalore this noon. Started from Kulashekhara at 2 PM and reached Bannerghatta road at 9 PM with 1 hour break at Swathi Delicacy. Two huge trees had fallen across the road at Shiradi but luckily there was space for a vehicle to pass. Being a weekday, the traffic was very thin and I enjoyed driving in empty roads.
I too did Udupi-Bangalore starting from Udupi around 11AM yesterday. Very thin traffic after Uppinangady, though it was a little crowded till then. Reached Nelamangala by 6PM including an hour's break at Sakleshpura.
Was surprised and relieved that the fallen trees in Shiradi did'nt cause trouble. Weekdays is the best option to traverse Shiradi if roads hold up . Abundant greenery even in the midst of summer!

Last edited by nma83 : 6th May 2014 at 08:50. Reason: Typo
Old 7th May 2014, 09:03   #5154
Senior - BHPian

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1399433397.032165.jpg

Today's TOI says the route via puttur-Madikeri will be a NH

Hope they remove the speedbreakers between bangalore and Madikeri

speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 10:00   #5155
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1237856

Today's TOI says the route via puttur-Madikeri will be a NH

Hope they remove the speedbreakers between bangalore and Madikeri

Did my return trip from Mangalore to Coimbatore via Madikeri. The stretch of 100 Km from Mani to Madikeri is full of potholes and at places there was no tarmac. It had taken almost 3 hours to cover this stretch. But I could see Road widening work happening at lot of places on this stretch. Initially planned for a night stopover at Madikeri but changed mind after experiencing warm weather at Madikeri town.
Old 7th May 2014, 11:42   #5156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Did my return trip from Mangalore to Coimbatore via Madikeri. The stretch of 100 Km from Mani to Madikeri is full of potholes and at places there was no tarmac. It had taken almost 3 hours to cover this stretch. But I could see Road widening work happening at lot of places on this stretch. Initially planned for a night stopover at Madikeri but changed mind after experiencing warm weather at Madikeri town.
I also did this a 2 weeks back . Road widening work is going on only between Puttur and Sullya which can get tricky when driving in the night or in rains . Otherwise this is doable .
Old 9th May 2014, 20:20   #5157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I need to travel to Udupi in May to attend a wedding and from Udupi I will be driving to Sirsi. Need some opinions on the best route that I should take. I will be driving a Skoda Laura TSI MT.
SB, I did the Udipi - Sirsi stretch last October. Fine up to Kundapur, then Kundapur to Kumta was a cruel joke. Gigantic craters where even private buses and all lorries were coming to a full stop, changing to first gear and getting in and out gingerly. Only KSRTC buses ploughed on merrily. Despite all the care, an ABS sensor got busted on my 2013 model high-ground clearance Linea. We left Udipi at about 2 pm and reached Sirsi by 8, thanks to this joke of a "National Highway". If I was the person in charge of this hwy, I would have hung myself in shame.

On the way back we took a different route - Sirsi - Sagara - Shimoga - Chickmagalur - Hassan - Mandya etc. The Sirsi - Sagara - Shimoga was an absolute dream - perfect tarmac, hardly any traffic, no speed breakers. One of the best stretches for driving.

I don't know if NH17 is now fixed between Kundapur and Kumta. Strongly caution you to you find out before venturing there. It was that bad.

Maybe Udupi - Hebri - Thithahalli - Belthangady - Sagara ?
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 08:00   #5158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
SB, I did the Udipi - Sirsi stretch last October. Fine up to Kundapur, then Kundapur to Kumta was a cruel joke. Gigantic craters where even private buses and all lorries were coming to a full stop, changing to first gear and getting in and out gingerly. Only KSRTC buses ploughed on merrily. Despite all the care, an ABS sensor got busted on my 2013 model high-ground clearance Linea. We left Udipi at about 2 pm and reached Sirsi by 8, thanks to this joke of a "National Highway". If I was the person in charge of this hwy, I would have hung myself in shame.

On the way back we took a different route - Sirsi - Sagara - Shimoga - Chickmagalur - Hassan - Mandya etc. The Sirsi - Sagara - Shimoga was an absolute dream - perfect tarmac, hardly any traffic, no speed breakers. One of the best stretches for driving.

I don't know if NH17 is now fixed between Kundapur and Kumta. Strongly caution you to you find out before venturing there. It was that bad.

Maybe Udupi - Hebri - Thithahalli - Belthangady - Sagara ?
Thanks Teacher! Kundapur to Kumta is always a big question mark. There are huge crater like potholes that are filled up every now and then by the authorities. With the potholes filled, the road is not so bad. But the problem is this patch work lasts for a very short time. So if we land up on this road when the patch work has worn off, we had it. I was hoping that since this is summer and before the onset of rains, the roads may not be so bad. I'll try to get some information from the locals.

Anyone got any info about the Kundapur - Hosanagara - Sagara route?
Old 10th May 2014, 08:42   #5159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Anyone got any info about the Kundapur - Hosanagara - Sagara route?
Kollur - Nittur - Nagara ghat is closed for repairs.

The other option : Kundapura - Haladi - Siddapura - Hulikal ghat stretch is excellent - newly laid tarmac / concretised.

Pathetic road from Chandikamba temple ( top end of hulikal ghat ) to Nagara. doable at 20kmph.

Would suggest Kundapura - Haladi - Agumbe - Thirthahalli option - excellent roads throughout.
roamingrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 09:02   #5160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post

Would suggest Kundapura - Haladi - Agumbe - Thirthahalli option - excellent roads throughout.
Has this stretch been relaid? The last time I did this route,the roads from Thirthahalli to Agumbe was in real bad condition. Post Agumbe,the roads till Haladi again were below average. Have you done this stretch recently?

Most Viewed