Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:35   #5191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post

And I will be driving on a Sunday(June 1st), how about the traffic on sunday's on this stretch? I am worried about the Shiradi with these gas tankers and taxi's
The rush is only on Sunday evenings towards Bangalore. But the rush is nothing compared to Mysore road traffic .
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:20   #5192
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Just back from this drive. The roads are in good shape all the way till Sampaje. One has to be careful about unmarked speedbreakers till periyapatna.

We did see a gas station open in the night at Kushalnagar , but the auto box behaved well on the highway. With speeds around 80-100 kph , we got 16 kpl , so there was no need to refuel.

There is road widening working going on between Sampaje and sullia. Can be tricky at some places in the night , if there is oncoming traffic as the diversions aren't well marked.

Overall a good drive , but I would still recommend the route via Sakleshpur for people going towards puttur.

Sent from my mobile phone , please excuse typos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Hi,

I would be travelling from Bangalore-Sullya coming weekend via Mysore-Madikeri. Couple of questions just to make sure me and my car are well prepared in advance.

1. How is the road condition from Sampaje-Sullya?
2. What is the current weather condition and during next week?
3. Also I would need your suggestions on the best hotel on the way for lunch, probably between Hunsur and Madikeri.

Thanks in Advance!!
Road conditions are good till Sampaje . Its still manageable after Sampaje till Sullia .

On traffic , depends on what time you start from Bangalore . The Mysore SH is best avoided during weekend day times . Best option will be to start early morning from Bangalore.

BTW , we have now stopped taking the SH to mysore , we take the kanakpura road whenever we drive to mysore . Its less stressful , lower traffic and takes around 3 hours to reach mysore
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:33   #5193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Road conditions are good till Sampaje . Its still manageable after Sampaje till Sullia .

On traffic , depends on what time you start from Bangalore . The Mysore SH is best avoided during weekend day times . Best option will be to start early morning from Bangalore.

BTW , we have now stopped taking the SH to mysore , we take the kanakpura road whenever we drive to mysore . Its less stressful , lower traffic and takes around 3 hours to reach mysore
Ya I agree it is really painful driving in the SH. Recently my uncle took 4.5 hours to reach Mysore on a Saturday morning, they left around 8AM and reached Mysore by 12.30PM. It is really a pain to overcome those traffic and speed breakers.

As others suggested even I would prefer the Kukke route to Sullia.
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:32   #5194
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions for good places for breakfast between Bangalore and Hassan and good places for lunch between Hassan and Bangalore?

thanks in advance.
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:23   #5195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Any suggestions for good places for breakfast between Bangalore and Hassan and good places for lunch between Hassan and Bangalore?

thanks in advance.
Mayura at Bellur Cross, Swati Delicacy near Kunigal, Kamath Upachar at Channarayapatna. There is also a CCD near Bellur Cross.
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:13   #5196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Yes, its the best route to Kukke Subramanya. Subramanya is before Sullia.
Thanks man! What is the weather like this week-end in and around kukke? I think I'll need a spend a night close by as well. Wrong thread, but if you can point me in the right direction much appreciated!
Old 22nd May 2014, 20:49   #5197
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Quote:
Mayura at Bellur Cross, Swati Delicacy near Kunigal, Kamath Upachar at Channarayapatna. There is also a CCD near Bellur Cross.
Between Swathi Delicacy and Bellur Cross there are 2 more new places that I saw in December, if i remember correctly one of them was Pavithra ? These are on right side when going from Blr towards Hassan (same side as Swathi Delicacy).

You can also try Hoysala Village Resort at Hassan for lunch but it's on the Belur Road so a detour into Hassan if you're planning to go to Sakleshpur/Kukke.

Last edited by NPV : 22nd May 2014 at 20:52.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:42   #5198
BHPian

Just reached Mangalore. Started from Bannerghatta road at 3:30. It took 6.5 hours with a 30 min break at Mythri hotel, Sakleshpur.

The quality of food has dropped quite a bit and looks like the management has changed.

There were a couple of accidents between kokkada and uppinangady in the turns. One involving a Alto and a moped, other involving a omni and a truck.

The roads are good all the way except for the section at hirisave. The patch work done near Sakleshpur and the initial part of the ghats are very uneven and rough.
Old 24th May 2014, 21:22   #5199
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick question to the experts of these roads. I'll be driving from Bangalore to Udupi tommorow. My destination in Udupi is Ambalpadi, which seems to be on the Mangalore Udupi road.

After Shiradi I plan to turn right towards Dharmasthala. Then Ujire - Belthangady - Bajegoli - Nitte - then right towards Shiriva - Bantakal - Shankarapura - Katpadi and then join Mangalore Udupi highway.

Is this a good option to reach Ambalpadi or am I better going via Mangalore?

Also after Bajegoli am I better off turning right towards karkala? This route takes me to Udupi town. From there I 'll have to cross the town and come back towards Ambalpadi.

I am not a frequent traveller to these places, I am just looking at the map. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 24th May 2014 at 21:30.
Old 25th May 2014, 08:55   #5200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Is this a good option to reach Ambalpadi or am I better going via Mangalore?
If i were you, i would take the NH all the way to M'lore, get onto the bypass at Padil, and back on NH all the way to Udupi and Ambalapady. There has been rains in the coastal region, and one would never know the condition of interior roads.
Old 25th May 2014, 22:36   #5201
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Sullia to Bangalore through Shiradi this noon. Started at 1 pm and reached Bangalore at 7 pm with 30 minutes break at Mayura. Traffic was surprisingly thin until Kunigal after which the traffic density suddenly increased. There was a huge queue at Nelamangala toll booth but they opened additional two counters which is meant for outbound traffic from Bangalore to the inbound traffic which helped the situation. There were no lane jumpers which eased the situation.

I observed two huge potholes at Shiradi while going to Sullia on Friday morning but were patched up today. Hope they show this enthusiasm to fill the potholes in the monsoon too.
Old 25th May 2014, 23:06   #5202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Drove from Sullia to Bangalore through Shiradi this noon.
Did you try the Madikeri route while going? If yes, any changes to report there on that route ?

Quote:
I have ditched Mysore - Madikeri route for good . I had planned that route but wanted to reach early morning on Friday hence took Shiradi. The Sampaje - Sullia stretch is not yet complete according to my cousin. Its manageable but becomes difficult if it rains. I have no idea why the work is progressing in such a slow manner.
That also reminds me. You may want to try Kunigal-Magadi-Nice? It may help beat the Nelamangala jam. But yes this would also add time in Magadi. How I wish, we had a bypass for Magadi town. Would have been perfect.

Last edited by ampere : 25th May 2014 at 23:17.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 23:13   #5203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Did you try the Madikeri route while going? If yes, any changes to report there on that route ?
I have ditched Mysore - Madikeri route for good . I had planned that route but wanted to reach early morning on Friday hence took Shiradi. The Sampaje - Sullia stretch is not yet complete according to my cousin. Its manageable but becomes difficult if it rains. I have no idea why the work is progressing in such a slow manner.
Old 26th May 2014, 08:46   #5204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

That also reminds me. You may want to try Kunigal-Magadi-Nice? It may help beat the Nelamangala jam. But yes this would also add time in Magadi. How I wish, we had a bypass for Magadi town. Would have been perfect.

Have you done the magadi - kunigal stretch recently? This has always been my preferred route whenever driving alone to mangalore

Sent from my mobile phone , please excuse typos
Old 26th May 2014, 08:58   #5205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have you done the magadi - kunigal stretch recently? This has always been my preferred route whenever driving alone to mangalore
No not done recently. Once the 4-lane was up, I totally gave up that route. Hence even I was curious as to how it is today? The only issues on this stretch were the winding roads to Magadi and crossing the town itself. Beyond that, as per what I remember it was very good.

Please note, I am not a regular on this stretch like you guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks