Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2014, 11:14   #5341
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Friends,

I'm Planning to drive down to Udupi from Bangalore tomorrow early morning. Any suggestion on routes which holds the tar in good condition? Thanks in advance !
Old 13th August 2014, 11:44   #5342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Hope the roads are holding up in last one week. Has it really rained cats and dogs in last one week ?
Last heard, its been raining since the last week of July continuously. One of the reasons avoiding a drive this week.
Old 13th August 2014, 11:58   #5343
Senior - BHPian

Sun came out after a long break in Mangalore, last couple of weeks we saw the monsoon kicked in almost in its full glory, i dont think it would be raining much next few days. however avoid driving at night.

Last edited by lohithrao : 13th August 2014 at 12:00.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 14:11   #5344
BHPian

How about Charmadi ghat road condition compare to Shiradi ghat? Anyone travelled recently on these ?
Old 13th August 2014, 14:56   #5345
Senior - BHPian

Guys i drove via shiradi few hours back. Roads are in decent state considering how it used to be during mining days

Recommend people to go through the video that samurai shared. Roads were in same state plus no rain means easy drive

I covered the distance between sakleshpur town to gundya in 40 min with two little kids on board
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 23:06   #5346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshanjathanna View Post
How about Charmadi ghat road condition compare to Shiradi ghat? Anyone travelled recently on these ?
I think this photo below is self explanatory on the condition of Charmadi Ghat
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-10574305_460832027387050_3832419161560563948_n.jpg
fusionbang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 11:35   #5347
Senior - BHPian

Just to be more precise on shiradi route

1. Road reaching to sakleshpur from hasan has become very bumpy as you near the town
2. Gundya to dharmastala crossing has some sudden potholes towards bridge and curves

3. Shiradi is rough but i dont see any reason why they need to close the road for 6 months. I wont mind if they better it

Bc road to mangalore is a toll road with potholes . Yes they charge 20 rs to dig potholes

There are at least 20 odd nice water falls and streams on this route now
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 11:52   #5348
BHPian

I drove down from Bangalore to Mangalore via Shiradi last week. Though I was aware of the deteriorating ghat condition, I took a chance.

As @rajshenoy mentioned earlier the from Hassan to Sakleshpur, whilst approaching the Sakleshpur town the road is pretty bad.

The ghat itself was a mixed bag experience. while the remnants of the last patch up appears still fresh, the road has started giving up. Many of the curves are pot holed and rubble spread around. The exhausting part is when you start believing that the road is getting to be just fine and you tend to ease up and there goes a heavy thud. welcome the next pothole.

It is the surprises that I hate most and this ghat tends to throw a few surprises when you expect the least. But overall much better than the previous years.

But what made the ride still worthwhile was the heavy fog, drizzle and the rainbow in the Horizon and over a dozen chota water springs all along the way. the ghat in my opinion is 50-50. Not bad but again not so good.

I shall take the Charmadi route while going back to Bangalore in a couple of days. Let's see what charmadi has in store for us

Ashok
Old 14th August 2014, 21:17   #5349
Senior - BHPian

Update for those going to Hassan/Mangalore/Chikmagalur tomorrow (Aug 15)

I just heard that the NH 48 (or 75?) Bangalore-Mangalore road is going to be blocked somewhere between Shantigrama and Hassan bypass. Apparently it is a 'rasta roko' by disgruntled travelers who travel and live on the Hassan-Dudda road (SH 71). This road is/was under construction for the past 4-5 years and since then there has been no progress.

I was supposed to go to Hassan tomorrow morning and my dad told me that the road may be blocked and asked me to take an alternative road. One of his friends, who uses the above mentioned road daily, told him about the rasta roko. I have no information regarding the exact location or the timings of the blockage etc.

I cannot vouch for the authenticity of this news as I have no more details. I just wanted to pass on what I heard so that other travelers may take precautions.

This is the road I'm talking about

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2988827

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2251977

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1741458
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 23:03   #5350
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Just back from Kukke and Dharmasthala trip.

Road from Hassan to Gundya is decent to bad at best and Worst in many places. Similarly Dharamsthala road from BLR-MLR highway is at its worst.

I return I took charmudi ghat, absolutely delight to drive. Got back in BLR in 5hrs.
Old 18th August 2014, 21:41   #5351
BHPian

Just returned from Mangalore to Bangalore via Charmadi Ghat. drove via Bantwal-Belthangadi-Ujire-Charmadi-Kottigehara-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore.
The drive was delightful with light to heavy showers en-route. Traffic was moderate. For people driving down from Bangalore to Mangalore, if you are ok with a leisurely beautiful smooth drive, choose Charmadi. it will definitely be an hour longer than the Shiradi route but if time is not a constraint and especially for drivers coming down from Bangalore, all those down gradient ghat road will be a pleasure.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 12:14   #5352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
It will definitely be an hour longer than the Shiradi route but if time is not a constraint and especially for drivers coming down from Bangalore, all those down gradient ghat road will be a pleasure.
Somehow, I have always preferred Charmadi over Shiradi even if its a bit slow due to minimal traffic, least no of trucks and peaceful drive. Not to forget the beautiful scenery that it has to offer.
The fact that it is narrow and has 11 Hair pin curves has kept most of the typical drivers from the Dual carriageway era out of this route even now.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 15:31   #5353
BHPian

Planning a drive to Mangalore via Jog falls on Aug 30th.

Route - Bangalore > Tumkur > Tiptur > Arsikere > Shimoga > Sagar > Jog Falls > Honnavar > Bhatkal > Udupi > Mangalore.

Any inputs on the road condition in the above route? Any other alternates that is better than the above?

I will be staying back near Jog (stay not booked yet) on Aug 30th and will be starting next day morning from Jog to Mangalore.

I was also thinking of the Agumbe ghats but not really sure of the road conditions in that part.
Old 21st August 2014, 15:45   #5354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Planning a drive to Mangalore via Jog falls on Aug 30th.

Route - Bangalore > Tumkur > Tiptur > Arsikere > Shimoga > Sagar > Jog Falls > Honnavar > Bhatkal > Udupi > Mangalore.

Any inputs on the road condition in the above route? Any other alternates that is better than the above?

I will be staying back near Jog (stay not booked yet) on Aug 30th and will be starting next day morning from Jog to Mangalore.

I was also thinking of the Agumbe ghats but not really sure of the road conditions in that part.
Road condition till Jog should be good since I never heard anyone complain about it till now. (I may be wrong)

Jog to Udupi via Agumbe will be very scenic route. Agumbe ghat upper stretches(concrete roads) are still same condition but the lower part coming via Someshwara jungle till Hebri is in good condition. Apart from say 10 km max on Agumbe Ghat, it should be good condition

From Mangalore to Bangalore you can take either Shiradi(Fast) or Charmadi(Scenic). your personal choice
Old 21st August 2014, 17:22   #5355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Its possible. Distance pretty much the same. If you want to go via Agumbe, the route should be:

Jog-Sagar-Ripponpete-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwar-Hebri-Udupi-Mangalore.

Roads around Hebri are rough and broken at some places. But I would say its better than going via Bhatkal.

Most Viewed