Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2014, 23:14   #5356
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post

Route - Bangalore > Tumkur > Tiptur > Arsikere > Shimoga > Sagar > Jog Falls > Honnavar > Bhatkal > Udupi > Mangalore.
Honnavara-Bhatakala: Good roads, occasional pot holes.
Bhatkala-Kundapura: Pretty bad roads. 4-lane work going on.
Kundapura-Udupi: Decent.

There is an inner road from Jog that goes directly to Bhatkala, without going via Honnavara. Remember some BHPian had tried it out long time ago. Wondering whether anyone has done it recently.

Prasad
Old 21st August 2014, 23:29   #5357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
There is an inner road from Jog that goes directly to Bhatkala, without going via Honnavara. Remember some BHPian had tried it out long time ago. Wondering whether anyone has done it recently.

Prasad
That was me who did it in 2010, but roads were in good shape then.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...alley-otr.html (Sharavathy Valley OTR)
Old 21st August 2014, 23:38   #5358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That was me who did it in 2010, but roads were in good shape then.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...alley-otr.html (Sharavathy Valley OTR)
Yes yes, I remember reading this thrilling post Samurai-san.

But, you say "roads were in good shape then". Does this mean they have become very bad now?

Prasad
Old 21st August 2014, 23:55   #5359
Team-BHP Support

No, I meant to say I have no idea about the current state. Very scenic route though.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 14:41   #5360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Road condition till Jog should be good since I never heard anyone complain about it till now. (I may be wrong)

Jog to Udupi via Agumbe will be very scenic route. Agumbe ghat upper stretches(concrete roads) are still same condition but the lower part coming via Someshwara jungle till Hebri is in good condition. Apart from say 10 km max on Agumbe Ghat, it should be good condition

From Mangalore to Bangalore you can take either Shiradi(Fast) or Charmadi(Scenic). your personal choice
Thank you rajshenoy. I will take the Agumbe route to Mangalore.

I have been taking the charmadi route for the previous couple of trips to Mangalore. So will do the same for return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its possible. Distance pretty much the same. If you want to go via Agumbe, the route should be:

Jog-Sagar-Ripponpete-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwar-Hebri-Udupi-Mangalore.

Roads around Hebri are rough and broken at some places. But I would say its better than going via Bhatkal.
Thank you ampere. I will take the route mentioned by you.

Quote:
Honnavara-Bhatakala: Good roads, occasional pot holes.
Bhatkala-Kundapura: Pretty bad roads. 4-lane work going on.
Kundapura-Udupi: Decent.

Prasad
Thank you prasad. I will stick to the agumbe route based on the inputs above.

Old 23rd August 2014, 17:00   #5361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes yes, I remember reading this thrilling post Samurai-san.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No, I meant to say I have no idea about the current state. Very scenic route though.
Are you guys referring to SH50? The road via Kargal? A friend of mine from Udupi says many state buses ply on that route. Its a narrow road. Dont know the exact conditions. But yes, its quite desolate after dark.
Old 24th August 2014, 11:14   #5362
BHPian

Hi All! Planning a drive with family to Dharmasthala and Kukke next weekend. Car is an old gen Verna CRDi with 5 people on board.

Need your help with the below queries.

1. Planning to take Charmadi on the way to Dharmasthala from Bangalore. As per google maps, it's 17 km longer. But better road with lesser traffic compared to Shiradi is pulling me towards taking Charmadi. Your advice please.

2. From Dharmasthala which is the best route to Subrahmanya? The one via Ejilampady road/SH 37 or the road via Gundia?

3. On the way back from Subrahmanya to Bangalore I guess I will have to take Shiradi and this probably after dark. The last few pages of this thread suggest the ever deteriorating condition of this road. So, is there any other better road I can take to come to Bangalore?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th August 2014, 13:48   #5363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Hi All! Planning a drive with family to Dharmasthala and Kukke next weekend. Car is an old gen Verna CRDi with 5 people on board.

Need your help with the below queries.

1. Planning to take Charmadi on the way to Dharmasthala from Bangalore. As per google maps, it's 17 km longer. But better road with lesser traffic compared to Shiradi is pulling me towards taking Charmadi. Your advice please.

2. From Dharmasthala which is the best route to Subrahmanya? The one via Ejilampady road/SH 37 or the road via Gundia?

3. On the way back from Subrahmanya to Bangalore I guess I will have to take Shiradi and this probably after dark. The last few pages of this thread suggest the ever deteriorating condition of this road. So, is there any other better road I can take to come to Bangalore?

Thanks in advance.
I went to Sullia through Shiradi last Wednesday and its manageable. The road has deteriorated at the lower half of Shiradi but it won't slow you down significantly. There were no bottom scraping pot holes. They were indeed covering the potholes with stones and mud but no idea how long it'll last.

I don't know the road condition between Dharmasthala - Gundya but Gundya - Subramanya is excellent.

I recommend Shiradi to come back to Bangalore from Subramanya. You can also take the Madikeri route if you want to avoid Shiradi. Good roads all the way upto Mysore. Subramanya - Sullia is excellent. I took the Sullia - Sampaje - Madikeri route this morning. There are very small bad patches between Sullia - Sampaje but the rest of the parts are good. Sampaje - Madikeri - Hunsur is in pristine condition. I'm right now at K.R. Nagara since I'll be taking the Holenarasipura - Channarayapatna route to come back to Bangalore so that I can avoid the dreaded Mysore road.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 24th August 2014 at 13:52.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 18:22   #5364
Team-BHP Support

The last time I took the Charmadi ghat, it was my first long trip in the Grand Vitara, back in Dec 2007. It was so horrible, I never ventured back there.

Today, I took the Charmadi ghat after 6.5 years. After Belur, the roads are in pristine condition all the way till Ujire. But the ghat road is so narrow, I felt quite uneasy at many places, especially hair pin curves. Couple times vehicles (even buses) came close in the turns, I almost swerved. Even Agumbe ghat feels wide compared to this. One has to drive very carefully in this ghat, unlike Shiradi or even Agumbe.

The view was fantastic. Since it was raining too, the entire hill was inside the clouds. Great photo-op for tourists. I didn't stop for photos since I have too many of them.

There were many hazard light drivers too. But since they were going very slow (due to the narrow roads), I could pass them quickly. Passing trucks/buses was possible only if they allow, and they did allow every time.

Here is the entire Charmadi drive in the rain, posted in 4x speed to reduce it to just 10 minutes. Watch in HD to see the details.

Samurai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 10:33   #5365
BHPian

Will be driving down to Udupi from Bangalore this weekend. Shiradi still the best bet?

Also, I need some recommendations for lunch along the Mangalore-Suratkal stretch. I would like to avoid getting into Mangalore city so I am looking for options along the highway for a decent restaurant. Any pointers?
Old 26th August 2014, 12:02   #5366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Subramanya - Sullia is excellent. I took the Sullia - Sampaje - Madikeri route this morning. There are very small bad patches between Sullia - Sampaje but the rest of the parts are good.
Is the route between Sullia and Subramanya the one referred here:

http://goo.gl/dKPMcM

Further which is the best route to come to Mangalore from Subramanya

I have 3 options (frm Google maps)

1. Subramanya -->Via Puttur, even here there are 2 routes after some distance from Subramanya

2. Subramanya -->Via Gundya

3. Subramanya -->Via Uppinangadi here more options to reach Uppinangadi Via Nellyadi or Kadaba Subramanya road.

Phew confusing help me.

Shanks
Old 26th August 2014, 12:29   #5367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
Will be driving down to Udupi from Bangalore this weekend. Shiradi still the best bet?

Also, I need some recommendations for lunch along the Mangalore-Suratkal stretch. I would like to avoid getting into Mangalore city so I am looking for options along the highway for a decent restaurant. Any pointers?
Try hotel SAI SURAJ in Surathkal. As you drive towards Udupi the hotel is approximately 500 meters after Surathkal bus stand on right hand side. There is a cut in divider just infront of hotle where infamous single lane Surathkal flyover starts. I have taken parcel from this hotel multiple times. My friends eat here regularly (both veg and non veg). Food was pretty good.
recshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 12:55   #5368

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshanks View Post

Is the route between Sullia and Subramanya the one referred here:

http://goo.gl/dKPMcM
Yes, that should be the ideal route between Sullia and Subramanya. Lovely winding and scenic route.

Quote:
Further which is the best route to come to Mangalore from Subramanya

I have 3 options (frm Google maps)

1. Subramanya -->Via Puttur, even here there are 2 routes after some distance from Subramanya

2. Subramanya -->Via Gundya

3. Subramanya -->Via Uppinangadi here more options to reach Uppinangadi Via Nellyadi or Kadaba Subramanya road.

Phew confusing help me.

Shanks
Option 3 via Kadaba to reach Uppinangadi and then on to Mangalore seems best as otherwise you will have to traverse through Puttur town which can cause delays.
Old 26th August 2014, 20:00   #5369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post

You can try my hometown hotels then!

Try Sadanand or Suraj International in Surathkal for food. Both decent quality place.

Sadanand is on the left side bang in Surathkal town.
Suraj International is further ahead of the town and should be on your right side after the flyover ends.

ilbkrishna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 11:27   #5370
BHPian

If the news reports are to be believed the Shiradi route will soon be closed for repairs. Will be interesting ... what are other options? Charmadi... and... any pointers?

Most Viewed