Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 17:58   #6016
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
But i see that the suggested route is around 70+ km more than Charmadi route. Same goes with kudremukh route too.

Its like I am standing right below Charmadi ghat and asking how i can avoid it !!
Thats the problem. Belthangady is right between Shiradi and Charmadi. Apart from these any thing else is a detour. Agumbe would be even bigger.
Old 7th May 2015, 18:50   #6017
BHPian

There is one stretch of road on the Charmadi ghat where only one bus width of road is available. Recently when they were widening the curves to avoid causing traffic jams, I think they could not do this stretch because it is full of rock. Two buses were staring at each other and with traffic behind them in full flow, there was a traffic jam. It took time for people to come together & resolve which side of traffic should go back & ensure free flow of traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Good to know people were maintaining lane discipline
Any idea what was the reason for the jam?
prabhusati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 18:57   #6018
Distinguished - BHPian

^ This is immediately after the Temple. Its been that way since years and also has speedbreakers on either side.

All these days drivers were proactive and would stop for each other. These days we have cars from Bangalore and that makes it a bigger mess as they are used to "not giving way" and using headlights during the day to pounce on you.

And, this stretch is mere 50 meters.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th May 2015 at 18:59.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 12:58   #6019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
It was surprising to see that most of the vehicles were maintaining lane discipline.

I am sure these are the ones who have been stuck in jams earlier , while the ones who were not maintaining the line would be the Bangalore registered cars who anyways arent used to giving way to traffic or using their head while driving !

So this week , I had an unplanned trip which came up on Thursday morning . I started at 7 am IST and took the road to Bisle ghat from Arakalagud . Just before the 3 way junction to Bisle , I took the first exit on the left towards Somwarpet .

Was a superb 20 odd kms to Somwarpet through some awesome scenery and zero traffic on narrow roads

As I was approaching Somwarpet , a group of kids were pelting stones at these stray dogs , one of which got hit by the car . I slowed down to around 30 kph , but couldnt avoid the dog as these kids were on both sides of the road . Luckily both dog and the bumper survived . This dent on the bumper disappeared mysteriously by the time I landed in Mangalore

And Sampaje as usual had heavy traffic , but most of them were well behaved . Somehow , I dont enjoy driving on Sampaje
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-mad1.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-mad2.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-mad6.png  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-mad7.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-mad8.jpg  

Last edited by speedsatya : 8th May 2015 at 13:09.
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 17:28   #6020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I started at 7 am IST and took the road to Bisle ghat from Arakalagud . Just before the 3 way junction to Bisle , I took the first exit on the left towards Somwarpet .

Was a superb 20 odd kms to Somwarpet through some awesome scenery and zero traffic on narrow road
Did you go through Shanivarasante to reach Kooduraste or through Kodlipete? Kodlipete - Kooduraste was bad sometime back and also the SH-85 between Somawarapete - Bisle entry. Good to know that SH-85 is repaired beyond Somawarapete.
Old 8th May 2015, 18:42   #6021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Did you go through Shanivarasante to reach Kooduraste or through Kodlipete? Kodlipete - Kooduraste was bad sometime back and also the SH-85 between Somawarapete - Bisle entry. Good to know that SH-85 is repaired beyond Somawarapete.
I think I went via Shanivarasante. Though broken at some places, cars with low GC can manage easily . The scenery was just awesome with absolutely zero traffic . Some locals asked me to take the Bisle route , even Google Maps suggests this as an option!
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2015, 20:00   #6022
MCR
BHPian

I was at Udupi for a Friend's wedding this week. Started from Bangalore on Thursday evening and the road we took was as follows :

Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Ilavala - Hunsur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri - Sampaje - BC Road - Mangalore - Udupi.

SH17 was as usual crowded, since we started from Bangalore @ 7.00PM. Reached Madikeri by 11.30 PM and then onwards, it was a pleasure to drive as the roads were literally empty. We only encountered a few buses which were heading to Bangalore from Mangalore. Reached Udupi @ 3.00AM.

Return was on Saturday morning and we decided to ry out the Agumbe route.

Udupi - Hebri - Agumbe - Sringeri - Jayapura - Chickmagalur - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore.

We stared @ 11.00AM and were in Bangalore by 9.00PM, thanks to a big Jam right after the Nelamangala toll and again on SH17 near Kengeri.

As usual, the worst driven cars were Bangalore registered ones on the highway and the KL registered ones near Mangalore and Udupi.

Last edited by MCR : 10th May 2015 at 20:02. Reason: Typo
Old 10th May 2015, 23:16   #6023
Team-BHP Support

Did Manipal-Bangalore today via Tirthahalli, took 9 hours thanks to multiple breaks as I was travelling with family. Started at 1:15pm and reached at 10:15pm. Didn't have to deal with any extra traffic despite it being Sunday.
Old 11th May 2015, 15:27   #6024
BHPian

Not sure if this query belongs to this thread, but I heard that the route to Sringeri was through Sakleshpur. Now that Shiradi ghats are closed , which the the best way to Sringeri. Google maps suggest Bangalore-Bhadravathi-Sringeri. How good is the route between Bhadravathi and Sringeri ?
Old 11th May 2015, 15:58   #6025
Senior - BHPian

Today morning, I happened to see a couple of KSRTC Multi Axle Volvos going to Mangalore on NH 48. Are the Multi Axles taking Charmadi route to Mangalore? Not sure why they would take the NH48 when Shiradi is closed. I was always under the impression that these long buses used to take Sampaje route to Mangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Not sure if this query belongs to this thread, but I heard that the route to Sringeri was through Sakleshpur. Now that Shiradi ghats are closed , which the the best way to Sringeri. Google maps suggest Bangalore-Bhadravathi-Sringeri. How good is the route between Bhadravathi and Sringeri ?
The normal route to Sringeri is Bangalore-Hassan-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri. I'm not sure of road conditions after Chikmagalur. Roads are good upto Chikmagalur though. No need to go to Sakleshpura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I think I went via Shanivarasante. Though broken at some places, cars with low GC can manage easily . The scenery was just awesome with absolutely zero traffic . Some locals asked me to take the Bisle route , even Google Maps suggests this as an option!
Indeed this is a beautiful route too. This is almost parallel to the SH 85 which you took. I have used this route to reach Mallalli Falls from Sakleshpur side and the roads were good after you deviate from the Bisle road, when I last went there (monsoon 2014)

Btw, wasn't the Bisle ghat road closed? Did you happen to get any info from locals?

Last edited by addyhemmige : 11th May 2015 at 16:01. Reason: Added comment
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 16:10   #6026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Today morning, I happened to see a couple of KSRTC Multi Axle Volvos going to Mangalore on NH 48. Are the Multi Axles taking Charmadi route to Mangalore? Not sure why they would take the NH48 when Shiradi is closed. I was always under the impression that these long buses used to take Sampaje route to Mangalore.
Most probably they are taking the CR Patna - Arakalagud - Somawarpete - Madikeri Route. I travelled on this route thursday evening and saw 4 volvos coming to Bangalore.
_chikku is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 18:42   #6027
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Alternate route is to go via Shimoga-Tirthahalli, roads are excellent on this route. One option is to do:
Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Tirthahalli-Sringeri. En route you can stop at Gajanur Dam and Sakrebylu elephant camp.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 21:21   #6028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Today morning, I happened to see a couple of KSRTC Multi Axle Volvos going to Mangalore on NH 48. Are the Multi Axles taking Charmadi route to Mangalore?

Indeed this is a beautiful route too. This is almost parallel to the SH 85 which you took. I have used this route to reach Mallalli Falls from Sakleshpur side and the roads were good after you deviate from the Bisle road, when I last went there (monsoon 2014)

Btw, wasn't the Bisle ghat road closed? Did you happen to get any info from locals?

According to locals , Bisle Ghat is closed for repairs. But google maps still shows this as one of the options to go to mangalore !

I doubt KSRTC B9Rs taking Charmadi ! All these buses take the left from Channrayapatna to Arakalagud - Konanur -Kushalnagar and Madikeri
Old 11th May 2015, 22:07   #6029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Alternate route is to go via Shimoga-Tirthahalli, roads are excellent on this route. One option is to do:
Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Tirthahalli-Sringeri. En route you can stop at Gajanur Dam and Sakrebylu elephant camp.

Thanks , that's a good option too. NH4 all the way till Chitradurga , how good Chitradurga -Shimogga road? A small stretch of road between Arsikere and Tarikere is bad , rest all is good.
Old 11th May 2015, 22:37   #6030
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks , that's a good option too. NH4 all the way till Chitradurga , how good Chitradurga -Shimogga road? A small stretch of road between Arsikere and Tarikere is bad , rest all is good.
The strech between Chitradurga and Shimoga is good but a single road. You will have lot of local traffic near channagiri. There is also a railway crossing in between just after Channagiri.

Most Viewed