Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2015, 21:33   #6046
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
Planning to drive to Kudroli, Mangalore next Sunday. We plan to leave from JP Nagar around 6 am.

What is the suggested route?

I had taken the Charmadi route 2 years ago but looks like it isn't the most preferred route now due to jams.
One option is to take the Sampaje ghat route:
Bangalore-Nelamangala-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri-Sampaje-Sullia-Mangalore
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 10:43   #6047
BHPian

KSRTC buses have most likely stopped taking the route between Chennarayapatna and Kushalnagar now, as almost every Airavat and Rajahamsas can be spotted travelling via Illvala Srirangapatna Madikeri.
Old 18th May 2015, 11:31   #6048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
One option is to take the Sampaje ghat route:
Bangalore-Nelamangala-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri-Sampaje-Sullia-Mangalore
Thanks. Hows the route condition, especially the ghat section? I will be taking this route for the first time, so anything that I should watch out for?
Old 18th May 2015, 11:42   #6049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
Thanks. Hows the route condition, especially the ghat section? I will be taking this route for the first time, so anything that I should watch out for?
Shanivarsanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri is full of twisty road and traffic is very sparse in this whole stretch. Sampaje ghat is as usual, a breeze to drive but you may witness bit truck traffic due to shiradi closure but nothing to worry about.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 23:23   #6050
Senior - BHPian

For those who use Arakalagudu - Shanivarasante - Somawarapete - Madikeri: My cousin took Arakalagudu - Ramanathapura - Kushalnagar - Madikeri last weekend. This route is repaired as reported earlier in this thread. He felt it's much faster than the Somawarapete route due to the straight roads. The distance between Arakalagudu - Madikeri is exactly same in both the routes i.e., 80 km. However I'd still prefer Somawarapete route just for the scenic beauty
guyfrmblr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 15:53   #6051
BHPian

Any updates on the following stretches for reaching Kundapur
  1. Ampar-Hulikal-Nagar-Hosanagara-Ripponpete-Ayannur-Shimoga
  2. Ampar-Hulikal-Yadur-Mulubagilu-Thirthahalli-
I hear that some private buses use these roads regularly. So an update on the road condition will be helpful as I need to make multiple trips to Kundapur in next 2 Months from Bangalore.
Old 19th May 2015, 16:11   #6052
Senior - BHPian

Guys, slightly offtopic; I have to attend a marraige function at Vittal on 31st May. I'll be driving early morning from Mysore. Is the suggested road good? I haven't driven past Madikeri before :

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-map2.jpg

After the wedding, I'll return back to Bangalore. Google Maps suggests return route via Bisle Ghats, Are the roads good? I'm not at all keen on returning via Mysore.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-map3.jpg

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 19th May 2015 at 16:18.
Old 19th May 2015, 16:22   #6053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Guys, slightly offtopic; I have to attend a marraige function at Vittal on 31st May. I'll be driving early morning from Mysore. Is the suggested road good? I haven't driven past Madikeri before :

Attachment 1372293

After the wedding, I'll return back to Bangalore. Which ghat is highlighted in the map on the blue route? Are the roads good? I'm not at all keen on returning via Mysore.

Attachment 1372294
No issues with the onward route. The route you have selected for the return (Bisle ghat road) is closed. Instead, you need to come back to Madikeri and from there you have two options (since you have ruled out Mysore road)

1. Madikeri-Somwarpete-Shanivarasanthe-Arkalgud-Holenarsipura-CR Patna-B'lore
2. Madikeri-Kushalnagar-Ramanathapura-Arkalgud-Holenarsipura-CR Patna-B'lore

Both these routes have good roads. The second route is faster since it does not have too much of ghat roads. GuyfrmBlr has updated the road condition a couple of posts earlier.
addyhemmige is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 02:00   #6054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Guys, slightly offtopic; I have to attend a marraige function at Vittal
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-untitled.jpg

The black circle in the above picture is the Vitla town junction. If the marriage hall is at Green circle area or towards that side, you take the route which you have posted from Puttur. If it's in the area or direction towards Blue or Red markings, I highly suggest you to take SH-100 from Puttur to Vitla through Punacha.

The route: https://goo.gl/maps/7KMLM

The Vitla junction (black circle) is a nasty one with four narrow roads joining at a single place with 4 electricity poles at each corner with private buses competing to turn from every possible junction. It's always a pain to take a turn at this junction. Between the SH-100 between Puttur - Vitla is newly re-surfaced and you'll enjoy the drive. One rarely encounters any traffic on this road.
guyfrmblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 14:06   #6055
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosTHEjackal View Post
Any updates on the following stretches for reaching Kundapur[list=1][*]Ampar-Hulikal-Nagar-Hosanagara-Ripponpete-Ayannur-Shimoga
There is an update on part of this route from another BHPian who did this route for Bangalore-Kollur.
It's on the Kollur thread - Link
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 16:18   #6056
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday near Kunigal I encountered massive rains and was forced to take a break. Check the details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3710907
Old 20th May 2015, 18:37   #6057
BHPian

Not aware of the daytime trip, but anyone planning an after-dusk trip via Mani-Puttur-Madikeri-Kushalnagar-Illvala can be prepared to welcome numerous sand mining lorries all along the route, either sides. This was a very unpleasant surprise for me, since had never spotted these lorries in this route. The ones towards Mani (the empty jones, going for a sand refill) ply with those extra set of headlamps and higher speeds. Just an fyi.
dkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 21:25   #6058
Senior - BHPian

We all knew this when they promised in April to complete work in the next 30 days ! And now they blame unseasonal rains for the delay. Let's see what they say in July

Shiradi Ghat unlikely to open by June 1, only 50 percent work completed http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=321545
Old 25th May 2015, 20:56   #6059
BHPian

Took the Channarayapatna -> Arsikere -> Kadur -> Beerur -> Bhadravathi by-pass -> N R Pura -> Koppa -> Agumbe -> Hebri -> Udupi route last Thursday.

Roads were excellent and traffic was minimal. The roads are a bit winding though. With this route you can skip going through Thirthalli. Saves some time too.

On the return journey tried a new route Udupi -> Hebri -> Agumbe -> Koppa -> N R Pura -> Tarikere -> Beerur -> Kadur -> Arsikere -> Channarayapatna -> Bangalore

Roads were narrow at few places and passed through some villages but skipped Thirthalli, Bhadravathi.
Falcon_blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 21:01   #6060
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_blr View Post
Took the Channarayapatna -> Arsikere -> Kadur -> Beerur -> Bhadravathi by-pass -> N R Pura -> Koppa -> Agumbe -> Hebri -> Udupi route last Thursday.
Thats a much longer route. What you should do is:

Channarayapatna -> Arsikere -> Kadur -> Beerur -> Bhadravathi by-pass -> Mandagadde - Thirthahalli -> Agumbe -> Hebri -> Udupi

- Basically much before NR Pura, you get a turning for Mandagadde on SH65
- Take this exit and then further you cross the river Tunga and then head on NH13 to Thirthahalli
- At Thirthahalli you take the road to Agumbe via the SH1 and proceed further with the earlier plan.
- NR Pura-Koppa-Agumbe would be a twisty and a longer detour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosTHEjackal View Post
Any updates on the following stretches for reaching Kundapur
  1. Ampar-Hulikal-Nagar-Hosanagara-Ripponpete-Ayannur-Shimoga
  2. Ampar-Hulikal-Yadur-Mulubagilu-Thirthahalli-
I hear that some private buses use these roads regularly. So an update on the road condition will be helpful as I need to make multiple trips to Kundapur in next 2 Months from Bangalore.
Ampar-Hulikal : Work in progress. But should be OK and that bad I think.
Hulikal-Hosanagara-Ripponpete-Ayannaur-Shimoga : Brilliant. Between Hosanagara-Ayannur, the road is narrow, but brilliant to drive.

Last edited by ampere : 25th May 2015 at 22:20.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks