Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2015, 14:20   #6061
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Guys, slightly offtopic; I have to attend a marraige function at Vittal on 31st May. I'll be driving early morning from Mysore. Is the suggested road good? I haven't driven past Madikeri before :
Hello SunnyBoi, I drove on the Madikeri-Sampaje-Sullia-Puttur-Kalladka route over the weekend and found it to be great. Nothing specific to highligh, except that the road is quite twisty and might induce motion sickness in some. I found traffic on this route well-behaved (much better than impatient Bangalore drivers!), except the KSRTC buses. They are at their normal behaviour, I would say!
Arka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 03:48   #6062
BHPian

Drove Blore - Mlore via Madikeri - Mysore yesterday.

Mysore - Blore highway has become more dangerous after NHAI decided to replace speed breakers with collapsible barricades. I found vehicles switching lanes in the last minute and this can be very dangerous. 90% of them dont even use indicators. I found some barricades damaged and looks like there already has been a lot of accidents.

One has to be extremely careful while travelling between Blore - Mysore.
Old 27th May 2015, 10:24   #6063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post

Mysore - Blore highway has become more dangerous after NHAI decided to replace speed breakers with collapsible barricades. I found vehicles switching lanes in the last minute and this can be very dangerous. 90% of them dont even use indicators. I found some barricades damaged and looks like there already has been a lot of accidents.
I have the exact same feeling. Given the high traffic density on this route, it is better off with speed bumps. The metal barricades are only going to add to the chaos and probability of mishaps. Hope KRDCL takes note quickly and shifts strategy here. I too saw a few barricades that had been converted to twisted metal between my onward and return trips.
Old 30th May 2015, 12:47   #6064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
One option is to take the Sampaje ghat route:
Bangalore-Nelamangala-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri-Sampaje-Sullia-Mangalore
Took this route while going to Mangalore last Sunday. Sparse traffic throughout. Some rashly driven cars and tempos on the Sampaje ghat. With 2 halts (breakfast at Swati and lunch in Madikeri) took 11 hours to reach Mangalore.

While returning to Bangalore, decided to try out the Madikeri - Kushalnagar - Ramnathpura - Arkalgud - Channarayapatna - Nelamangala - Bangalore route.

Lovely undivided 2 lane between Kushalnagar and Channarayapatna. Saved about 45 minutes of travel time on this route.

The only sore point was the numerous speed breakers between Kushalnagar and Ramnathpura. There were humps before and after village, some as badly designed as the ones on Mysore road. Also there is a 1 km stretch at Konanur, just before Ramnathpura where the tar disappears and you are left negotiating potholes on gravel.
MorePower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 10:11   #6065
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for your suggestions, TOok the suggested routes and I was delighted with the drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
The route: https://goo.gl/maps/7KMLM

The Vitla junction (black circle) is a nasty one with four narrow roads joining at a single place with 4 electricity poles at each corner with private buses competing to turn from every possible junction. It's always a pain to take a turn at this junction. Between the SH-100 between Puttur - Vitla is newly re-surfaced and you'll enjoy the drive. One rarely encounters any traffic on this road.
The marraige function was at Alike so I took the route mentioned by you. Road from Puttur to Ukkuda had some really sharp crests, my car caught air on one of them when going at 70KMPH! On the way back I went even faster and caught air at 3 spots

I took the Madikeri-Somvarpete-Shanivarsanthe-Arkalgud-Holenarsipura-CR Patna-B'lore on the way back. Only bad roads were 4KMs before Arkalgud till the town, except that it was brilliant roads all the way.

The Madikeri-Somvarpete stretch deserves a special mention. After getting out of Madikeri town, the roads were just a dream to drive on. It has to be my favourite ghat stretch

A pic taken when traversing the above mentioned stretch :

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20150531_141404001.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:45   #6066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
The marraige function was at Alike so I took the route mentioned by you. Road from Puttur to Ukkuda had some really sharp crests, my car caught air on one of them when going at 70KMPH! On the way back I went even faster and caught air at 3 spots
There even are more sharper crests if you continue in SH-100 towards Manjeshwar after Alike . But the road turns pathetic after the Kerala border.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 09:19   #6067
BHPian

Leaving for Mangalore at 5:30 am from South Bangalore tomorrow (6th) via Channarayapatna, Holenarsipur, Ramnathpura, Kushalnagar, Madikeri.

Plan to have breakfast at Channarayapatna and lunch at Madikeri. Would appreciate recommendations for decent vegetarian restaurants at these places.

Also need to refuel (petrol) up and down at Madikeri. Any suggestions for bunks with clean fuel?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 5th June 2015, 14:38   #6068
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Plan to have breakfast at Channarayapatna and lunch at Madikeri. Would appreciate recommendations for decent vegetarian restaurants at these places.
Why Channarayapatna for breakfast ?
For breakfast you can stop at Swathi Delicacy near Yediyur, on right side. Just after you cross this place, there is break in the median for U-turn.
Other option is about 10 Km after Swathi - Mayura, Bellur Cross.
For lunch at Madikeri try Coorg International (buffet) or the restaurant inside KSTDC's Mayura Valley view near Rajah Seat (both are not veg. only places but you will get Veg. food)
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 15:52   #6069
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For lunch at Madikeri try Coorg International (buffet)
How is Coorg International hotel/food quality these days? I stayed there many years back and it at best was decent. But yes, for a break from the road point of view, it is a good place.

Quote:
If there is an equally good alternative in CPatna, Holenarsipur or Arakalagud, I'm all ears (I think there aren't any).
Mayura is good and so is Swathi. Its definitely worth an early breakfast.

Last edited by ampere : 5th June 2015 at 16:01.
Old 5th June 2015, 15:54   #6070
BHPian

Quote:
Why Channarayapatna for breakfast ?
Thanks Sir. Only reason to pick Channarayapatna was the time factor. Google says I will reach Mayura at 7:08 am (5:30 departure + 1:38 driving time). Maybe a tad early to eat. CPatna is another ~ 30 minutes away.

If there is an equally good alternative in CPatna, Holenarsipur or Arakalagud, I'm all ears (I think there aren't any).

Otherwise Mayura it is.
Old 5th June 2015, 16:11   #6071
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How is Coorg International hotel/food quality these days? I stayed there many years back and it at best was decent.
It is still decent. I had buffet lunch there couple weeks back.

Quote:
Adya's Hotel Athithi is a good option in CRPatna, but is not on the way if you are turning to Arakalagud, it is on the other end of CRPatna.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 16:50   #6072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Leaving for Mangalore at 5:30 am from South Bangalore tomorrow (6th) via Channarayapatna, Holenarsipur, Ramnathpura, Kushalnagar, Madikeri.
I recommend taking Somawarapete route from Arakalagud. Heard from a relative that the entire stretch inside Konanur is dug up for road repairs.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 18:20   #6073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I recommend taking Somawarapete route from Arakalagud. Heard from a relative that the entire stretch inside Konanur is dug up for road repairs.
Thanks much. I decided on the Ramanathapura - Kushalnagar route because you all said here that the Somawarapete route had a lot of twisties. At least two ladies traveling in my car get car sick quite easily.

However, if the route I chose is bad, I'll take the Somawarapete route.
Old 5th June 2015, 18:41   #6074
BHPian

Quote:

Also need to refuel (petrol) up and down at Madikeri. Any suggestions for bunks with clean fuel?

Thanks a bunch!
I am travelling to M'lore as well. I will be starting from Kalena Agrahara at about 4 AM. Trying to decide between
1. CR Patna - HNpura - Arkalgudu - Shanivarasanthe - Somawarapete - Madikeri
2. CR Patna - HNpura - Arkalgudu - Kushalnagara - Madikeri

My regular breakfast point in this route is in Madikeri I.e. Neelsagar @ kodavasamaja building. The breakfast is good and guessing the lunch will be good as well. You can try this place if you are looking for veg only.

There are a couple of filling stations in Madikeri. Not sure of the quality.
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 19:07   #6075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, if the route I chose is bad, I'll take the Somawarapete route.
The route is not bad. The problem is only inside Konanur town. If your passengers are sick of twists, stick to Ramanathapura - Kushalnagar road. You can enjoy the Somawarapete twisty route sometime else while driving alone

One more reason for me to avoid Kushalnagar route is that I can avoid the weekend warriors heading towards Coorg between Kushalnagar - Madikeri.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 5th June 2015 at 19:15.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks