Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2015, 09:51   #6151
Distinguished - BHPian

Suhas, the speedbreakers were always there since more than a year now including those at Bellur Cross near AIMS.

Those on CR Patna Bypass too existed: Beginning, End and Nuggehalli Cross Road.

They had gone flat off late and the "authorities" have only added few more next to it!!

The only new addition to speedbreakers is the one at the curve of Heritage Club on Hassan Belur Road. This takes the count to 6 set of speedbreakers(real big ones!!) within 20 km stretch.

There is an interceptor specially on weekends and almost at the end of Kunigal bypass for checking speeds (limit being 80 kmph). This is when you are driving to Bangalore.

What you are referring to (Mistral) is the Highway Patrol Vehicle that is often seen parked on left hand side between Bellur Cross and Kunigal bypass doing nothing.

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th July 2015 at 09:54.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 10:49   #6152
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
There is an interceptor specially on weekends and almost at the end of Kunigal bypass for checking speeds (limit being 80 kmph)
Add to it,
Interceptor just before Belur,around 2kms before Belur (before the curve) while coming from Hassan side.
Also an insane one at outskirts of Chikmagalur, While coming from Mudigere/Aldur side towards CKM, after you cross Mugthihalli and just before Rampura turn, speed limit board is there with 30kmph, just after this there will be one Interceptor, they catch you if you are doing more than 30kmph in your vehicle. Many will be doing around 50kmph at this turn as it's a highway.
sushrutha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 11:11   #6153
BHPian

Any idea if the Sakleshpur to Gundia can be traveled by now?
I am planning for a Kukke subramanya visit this month end and hence this query.

Thanks,
Anup C
Old 15th July 2015, 11:48   #6154
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
Any idea if the Sakleshpur to Gundia can be traveled by now?
I am planning for a Kukke subramanya visit this month end and hence this query.
Going by recent media reports, Shiradi ghat "may" open on August 1 so I think it's better for you to do:
Bangalore-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri-Sampaje-Sullia-Kukke

OR

Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Madikeri-Sampaje-Sullia-Kukke
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 12:11   #6155
Team-BHP Support

Last Friday I saw the Interceptor Jeeps at two different places on NH48. Both times I was at 90Kmph, but they didn't try to stop me. Didn't the central government raise the highway speed limit to 100kmph, why are they not repainting the speed sign boards accordingly?

BTW, the arasikere route to Manipal is depressingly boring between C.R.Patna and Bhadrawati. I am looking for some change. Is the Bisele Ghat finally open? I am considering Bangalore-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Shanivarasanthe-Kooduraste-Bisle Ghat-Kukke-Dharmasthala-Karkala-Manipal. No, I am not religious , since it is monsoon, the Bisele should be interesting.
Old 15th July 2015, 12:52   #6156
Senior - BHPian

We are planning a trip to Chikmagalur this weekend and I would need your inputs on the best route to take to Chikmagalur.

As per the previous posts, I feel Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur would be the best bet, but would like to understand is there anything which I need to be aware of in this route. Since we are still contemplating on the homestay, not exactly sure which place would be the final destination hence a general help on this route would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!!
Old 15th July 2015, 14:14   #6157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A nice newer option. If not for shortcut, should at least take it to visit the dam itself!
It is a small dam, on the Watehole river which is a tributary of the Yagachi river. You can have good views of the backwaters from the dam and I'm sure photographers will love this. I had taken some pics on mobile when I last went there. Will see if I can find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Is the Bisele Ghat finally open? I am considering Bangalore-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Shanivarasanthe-Kooduraste-Bisle Ghat-Kukke-Dharmasthala-Karkala-Manipal. No, I am not religious , since it is monsoon, the Bisele should be interesting.
One of my friends had taken Bisle ghat route to Kukke sometime in March. He said it was open. Last week of June, I met a group of guys driving a Honda Amaze at Mallalli, who claimed to be returning from the Bisle View Point. They said that the road was open, however they were stuck there for about 3-4 hrs because of a tree fall. If there is not much rain during the time you plan to be there, there should be no issues I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
As per the previous posts, I feel Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur would be the best bet, but would like to understand is there anything which I need to be aware of in this route. Since we are still contemplating on the homestay, not exactly sure which place would be the final destination hence a general help on this route would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!!

If you have to pass through Chikmagalur, then that is the best route to take. There is nothing specific to be aware of on this route, it is quite straightforward. Only thing is that you will face some heavy traffic between Hassan and Belur.

But it would be better to check again after you decide on your final destination. There are homestays scattered all over the estate areas of Chikmagalur district, so better check after you decide on the place.
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 14:39   #6158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We are planning a trip to Chikmagalur this weekend and I would need your inputs on the best route to take to Chikmagalur.
Why not take two different routes. Your Cheetah is going to love it

Just posted my update on Chikkamaluru thread
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 15:15   #6159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is the Bisele Ghat finally open? I am considering Bangalore-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Shanivarasanthe-Kooduraste-Bisle Ghat-Kukke-Dharmasthala-Karkala-Manipal. No, I am not religious , since it is monsoon, the Bisele should be interesting.
No Bisle is not open. In May we rode Shanivarsanthe-Koodraste-Bisle with the intention to reach Kukke. In the beginning we could see a closed gate but still sneaked through. 28 km of no road and tough terrain later we saw the JCB which had blocked every corner. We were told that there's no way we can continue as they have started concreting the road from Kukke side and have completed only 10 km.

We had to return to Shanivarsanthe but the terrain and landscape was mind blowing.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-10683445_10153766973933238_6504450528033149999_o.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-11039822_10153766973893238_6636500147483769658_o.jpg

Last edited by Added_flavor : 15th July 2015 at 15:21.
Added_flavor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 16:31   #6160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
No Bisle is not open. In May we rode Shanivarsanthe-Koodraste-Bisle with the intention to reach Kukke. In the beginning we could see a closed gate but still sneaked through. 28 km of no road and tough terrain later we saw the JCB which had blocked every corner. We were told that there's no way we can continue as they have started concreting the road from Kukke side and have completed only 10 km.
Any idea if you crossed the view point? or the temple checkpost? Because I met someone who had been till the view point during the last week of June
Old 15th July 2015, 16:33   #6161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Any idea if you crossed the view point? or the temple checkpost? Because I met someone who had been till the view point during the last week of June
We did go to the view point. But even to go there, you will have to cross the closed gate shown above. Perhaps they have opened the gate to allow people to go till the view point from Koodraste side.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 21:44   #6162
BHPian

I'm driving straight to Murudeeshwar from Chennai before heading down to Manipal for a day of rafting.

I have never done the Davangere - Chikberur - Sidapur - Murudeeshwar stretch. Can anyone help me with inputs?
Old 15th July 2015, 22:11   #6163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
If you have to pass through Chikmagalur, then that is the best route to take. There is nothing specific to be aware of on this route, it is quite straightforward. Only thing is that you will face some heavy traffic between Hassan and Belur.

But it would be better to check again after you decide on your final destination. There are homestays scattered all over the estate areas of Chikmagalur district, so better check after you decide on the place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Why not take two different routes. Your Cheetah is going to love it

Just posted my update on Chikkamaluru thread
Finally, the destination has been finalised and it is 27Km away from Chikamagalur, place called Coffee Terrain Homestay, Saragoor.

So can you guys please suggest best routes accordingly. It would be of great help and I don't mind taking a longer route if they are scenic.
Old 16th July 2015, 08:48   #6164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Finally, the destination has been finalised and it is 27Km away from Chikamagalur, place called Coffee Terrain Homestay, Saragoor.

So can you guys please suggest best routes accordingly. It would be of great help and I don't mind taking a longer route if they are scenic.
This one is on Mallandur Road.

Straightforward option: Bangalore Nelemangala Kunigal Bellur Cross Channarayapatna Hassan Belur Chikmagalur Mallandur Road Coffee Terrain.

Scenic but slower option: Bangalore Tumkur Tiptur Arasikere Devanur Sakharayapatna Chikmagalur Mallandur Road Coffee Terrain (You can as well do Arasikere Kadur Chikkamagulur).

You can take second option for onward and first for return. Chikmagalur to Home Stay would be another scenic road with clean tarmac too (was around here a weekend before)
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 11:33   #6165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
I'm driving straight to Murudeeshwar from Chennai before heading down to Manipal for a day of rafting.

I have never done the Davangere - Chikberur - Sidapur - Murudeeshwar stretch. Can anyone help me with inputs?
The standard route is Bangalore-Channarayapatna-Arsikere-Shimoga-Honnavar-Murudeshwar. The roads are good all the way. Check out the Bangalore-Shimoga route thread for eating options on the way.

The Davanagere-Chikbereur-Siddapura route shown by google maps is not recommended as it goes through single lane local/minor artery roads and roads conditions may not be good.

Most Viewed