Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2015, 10:34   #6271
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Wow! that is crazy fast. I would've done this before, but that speed bug has left me a long time ago. I don't do more than 110 kmph no matter how empty the roads. I'm still not married and I intend to be back home in 1 piece.

That seems like a good idea. Assuming I take 2h 30mins to get to sakleshpur, would the hotels be open ???
If you cover 240 KMz to sakleshpur in 2H30M, couldn't you make another 60 KMz to Adithya in an hour and half? Just saying!

Adithya is your best bet!

Last edited by JMaruru : 11th September 2015 at 10:36.
Old 12th September 2015, 11:09   #6272
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
I need to reach Udupi by 1.00 pm to pick up my inlaws before proceeding to Kollur. Also wish to stop over at Belur Chennakesava temple and Karkala Gomateshwara temple enroute. My overall understanding after going thru this thread is that this route is in decent condition through out. Any latest updates pl share.

Also if I start at 4 am, can I make it to Udupi by 1.00 pm including the above 2 stop overs or would it be too tight?
I seem to recall you need to reach Kollur temple before 1.30 for any special poojas. It then closes till 3 or 3.30. After that it's only normal darshans, no sevas.
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 17:23   #6273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
If you cover 240 KMz to sakleshpur in 2H30M, couldn't you make another 60 KMz to Adithya in an hour and half? Just saying!

Adithya is your best bet!

Sorry I meant 3h 30mins. I took the same time last weekend too. Hopefully some restaurants will be open in Sakleshpur by that time. I tend to cruise at 110 kmph. I like a relaxed drive.

Need to get back to namma Bengaluru same day as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 13th September 2015, 00:29   #6274
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry I meant 3h 30mins. I took the same time last weekend too. Hopefully some restaurants will be open in Sakleshpur by that time. I tend to cruise at 110 kmph. I like a relaxed drive.
At the safe and relaxed speed of 110KMPH, you can easily make it to Aditya by 8AM. If else, your other option would be Mythri at Sakleshpur. But am not sure, whether Mythri would be open around 7 in the morning!
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 10:09   #6275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
Very much doable if you have a red beacon on top! And a pilot car!

Except the part of getting out of town. If you stick to the normal nelamangala route you'll be shocked at the volume of traffic from Yeshwantpur to Nelamangala the early hours notwithstanding.
You mean to say there will be heavy traffic on the Yeshwantpur-Nelamangala stretch even early morning !!! I am planning to start from HSR at 4 am and was thinking of driving thru the city instead of taking the NICE road since I thought there will be no traffic that early. Are you suggesting that I should stick to the NICE road?
Old 13th September 2015, 10:29   #6276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You mean to say there will be heavy traffic on the Yeshwantpur-Nelamangala stretch even early morning !!! I am planning to start from HSR at 4 am and was thinking of driving thru the city instead of taking the NICE road since I thought there will be no traffic that early. Are you suggesting that I should stick to the NICE road?
At 4am, Its city route closing your eyes. Easiest and fastest.

Traffic actually builds up around 6:45/7:00 ish and not before that with queues mostly at NBTL and Devihalli toll Plaza.

Just zip through the usual city route at this time of the day.
Old 13th September 2015, 17:05   #6277
BHPian

Started at 4 am from JP Nagar, took NICE Road, reached Sakleshpur at 7 am (110 km/hr cruising). Surabhi was open (opp to TATA estate or something). Had breakfast, reached uppinangadi by 8:30 am and TMA Pai Convention Centre by 10 am.

Lovely drive. Hardly any traffic on Nelamangala toll road as well as NH48.

Shiradi Ghat concrete section was good. Wide roads and the shoulders have been levelled with mud. After the newly laid concrete section, the road gets severely patchy upto Gundya after which again a breeze to drive on.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1442143992.337251.jpg
Hassan to Sakleshpur - fantastic roads and amazing scenery

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1442144048.189996.jpg
The newly laid Shiradi Ghat section

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1442144117.416788.jpg
No more suspension-breaking shoulders

drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 22:42   #6278
BHPian

Quote:
Very much doable if you have a red beacon on top! And a pilot car!
Quote:
Wow! that is crazy fast. I would've done this before, but that speed bug has left me a long time ago. I don't do more than 110 kmph no matter how empty the roads. I'm still not married and I intend to be back home in 1 piece.
Quote:
Started at 4 am from JP Nagar, took NICE Road, reached Sakleshpur at 7 am (110 km/hr cruising). Surabhi was open (opp to TATA estate or something). Had breakfast, reached uppinangadi by 8:30 am and TMA Pai Convention Centre by 10 am.
So you could make it to uppinangady around 8 in the morning with a stop over for breakfast! All in one piece! Assume, there wasn't a pilot car!

Nice to know that shoulders have settled in place. I would be taking this route in a weeks time.

Quote:
At such early hours, you could easily drive through the city. NICE road seems like overkill!

Last edited by JMaruru : 13th September 2015 at 22:48.
Old 14th September 2015, 15:48   #6279
BHPian

Quote:
At such early hours, you could easily drive through the city. NICE road seems like overkill!
I prefer NICE to city roads because, Speed Humps!!! I stay near Gottigere, amount speed breaks you will see in outer ring road, and that to unmarked one, it would be safe to pay to NICE road and drive even more relaxed!
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 16:40   #6280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I prefer NICE to city roads because, Speed Humps!!! I stay near Gottigere, amount speed breaks you will see in outer ring road, and that to unmarked one, it would be safe to pay to NICE road and drive even more relaxed!
No need of ORR at all. Take the route via City passing High Grounds - Bellary Road - IISc - Yeshwantpur - Tumkur Road. This itself works out best against ORR anyway unless your house is situated closer to ORR and ORR Is shorter than City route to reach Tumkur Road.
Old 14th September 2015, 17:55   #6281
BHPian

Quote:
So you could make it to uppinangady around 8 in the morning with a stop over for breakfast! All in one piece! Assume, there wasn't a pilot car!

Nice to know that shoulders have settled in place. I would be taking this route in a weeks time.

LOL no pilot car. Guess I under estimated the roads and the traffic. Return took much longer what with the rain pouring down in the Ghats and all the way from Bellur Cross till home.

I stay in JP Nagar and if I take NICE Road from Gottigere, it takes me exactly 25-30 mins to get to Tumkur road that too near BIEC.

Not possible if I go via City / ORR even if it's at 4 in the morning.

Old 14th September 2015, 18:03   #6282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
LOL no pilot car. Guess I under estimated the roads and the traffic.
Odd hours, Odd Day - Makes it possible to manage this without even exceeding 110kmph.

Everytime I am in Belur and returning on a Sunday, I make it a point to start from my home at 10PM sharp and reach my Bangalore home before 1:00AM with no breaks. At times, it takes as less as 2H45M for the entire 220 kms to my North Bangalore home.

Less queues at the toll, zero misc traffic, Sleepy villages and petty towns makes it a breeze to drive at these odd hours without even speeding.
Old 14th September 2015, 22:25   #6283
BHPian

Quote:
Not possible if I go via City / ORR even if it's at 4 in the morning.
We stay besides the ORR in JP Nagar, so during early hours we make it to Nelamangala Junction within an hour. It is like 30 minutes to Goraguntepalya Cross. And another 30 minutes from there to Nelamangala Cross.

Last edited by JMaruru : 14th September 2015 at 22:52.
Old 17th September 2015, 17:17   #6284
BANNED

Quote:
If you are looking for budget accommodation, 'Ginger' near Kottara Chowki and NH Bypass fits the bill. If you want something in the town, you can check out 'Ganesh Prasad', 'Vasanth Mahal' or 'Deepa Comforts'.
Quote:
Since its for 3-4 days it's better to stay in the town center. Abhimaan is clean.
Thank you folks,

The plan is to visit the beaches, then soak in some local sight seeing and also visit the Bekal fort. So, something which is closer to the beach and also easier on the pocket is what I had in mind. I am looking at options within 3k/night. Which are the places/locations i should stay? There are a lot of hotels, but since I do not know the location, I am a bit lost.
Old 17th September 2015, 19:21   #6285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
The plan is to visit the beaches, then soak in some local sight seeing and also visit the Bekal fort. So, something which is closer to the beach and also easier on the pocket is what I had in mind. I am looking at options within 3k/night. Which are the places/locations i should stay? There are a lot of hotels, but since I do not know the location, I am a bit lost.
You could try 'Hotel Sadanand' or 'Suraj International' near Suratkal. It is closer to beach and also within your budget.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks