Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2015, 09:39   #6301
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
Guys,

Any good morning breakfast option on mangalore road after Nelmangala with clean toilets. Travelling tomorrow morning in a group and expecting to be at nelmangala around 7:30AM.

Regards
SE
1. Swathi Delicacy - Just after you cross Kunigal on the right side.
2. Mayura - A little ahead in Yediyur on the left side.
3. Vasudev Adigas - further ahead on the right.

My personal favourite is Swathi Delicacy.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 10:46   #6302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

Thanks Bro! This for sure will help. Also any review about YATHRIK RESTAURANTS, just after turning left from nelmangala?
Old 1st October 2015, 10:55   #6303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just a small correction.

1. Swathi Delicacy
2. Hotel Mayur - Just before Yediyur (on the right side)
3. Adigas Grand - Between Swathi and Mayur on the right side (not related to the Adigas hotels in Bangalore)
4. Golden Breeze and Shark Food Court - These are before Kunigal. Shark Food Court is quite popular with travelers here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
You could try another route. From Channarayapatna go towards Shravanabelagola. Continue on state highway to Huliyurdurga. Then Magadi and then BLR town.

I found it very scenic. Traffic is less till Sunkadakatte. Beyond that it's your normal jam packed traffic.

You would need a good map if you've never been on that route. It's got a few turns you may need help on. When I last travelled that way 2 years ago, the roads were in decent condition.
This route was quite bad between Nagamangala and Huliyurdurga. The other stretches are good to decent. I last took this route sometime in May/June (IIRC). Although the whole route is almost devoid of traffic, the bad roads will test your patience. One or two stretches (Shimsha bridge to Devalapura) was being re-laid, so this might be done by now. No idea about the latest conditions on the remaining stretches.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 1st October 2015 at 11:05. Reason: Quoted another comment
Old 1st October 2015, 10:59   #6304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
2. Hotel Mayur - Just before Yediyur (on the right side)
Err no. I am talking about Mayura on the left side while going towards Mangalore.

EDIT: Just before Bellur cross to be even more precise.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 1st October 2015 at 11:06.
Old 1st October 2015, 11:09   #6305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Err no. I am talking about Mayura on the left side while going towards Mangalore.

EDIT: Just before Bellur cross to be even more precise.
Yes indeed, that is correct. You mentioned Yediyur, so I assumed you were referring to the Mayura (now called Mayur) at Yediyur
Old 2nd October 2015, 17:18   #6306
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Kundapura

Hi folks,

I am driving down from Bangalore to Kundapura next month and wanted to confirm that the following route (which is my all-time favourite) contiues to be the optimal one:

Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Chikkamagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Haladi - Ampar

Another query - is there any option other than via Chikkamagalur to reach Aldur from Belur? The one via Mudigere might be too much of a detour. Inputs needed.

Thanks in advance...
Old 2nd October 2015, 18:07   #6307
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Kundapura

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Chikkamagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Haladi - Ampar
Do you know the state of this road? Last time I did it, it was horrible between aldur and balehonnur.

You are better off taking ampere's route.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:16   #6308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Do you know the state of this road? Last time I did it, it was horrible between aldur and balehonnur. You are better off taking ampere's route
Thanks Samurai. As per this route, I need not go all the way up to Shivamogga. If so, how would be the road conditions b/w Bhadravati and Madagadde (where I join NH13)?
Old 4th October 2015, 15:26   #6309
BHPian

I am headed to Madikeri, starting from my home near Hebbal, next week. Is the Chanrayapatna-Holenarsipura-Arakalagud-Somwarpet-Madikeri route still in good condition? I took it during summer this year and was smooth all the way.
Old 4th October 2015, 16:12   #6310
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
I am headed to Madikeri, starting from my home near Hebbal, next week. Is the Chanrayapatna-Holenarsipura-Arakalagud-Somwarpet-Madikeri route still in good condition? I took it during summer this year and was smooth all the way.
Haven't heard about any bad stretches on this route recently. Should be fine. Try the CR Patna-Agrahara-Holenarasipura, scenic with some windmills around, see the Bekal, Kabini thread for details.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 16:19   #6311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks Samurai. As per this route, I need not go all the way up to Shivamogga. If so, how would be the road conditions b/w Bhadravati and Madagadde (where I join NH13)?
It is fine, and no traffic either. Ampere's route has no bad stretch at all.
Old 5th October 2015, 15:57   #6312
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I will be travelling to Mangalore on either 23rd/24th Oct from Davanagere. Driving from BLR to DVG on 23rd and from there to MLR on 24th.

I plan to take one of the below routes:
1. Davanagere-Shimoga-NR Pura-Koppa-Sringeri-Karkala-Padubidri-MLR
2. Davanagere-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Koppa-Sringeri-Karkala-Mudubidri-MLR
3. Davanagere-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Udupi-MLR

Can someone suggest which is the better route in terms of road condition? I will be driving my Amaze and it has tendency of bottoming out even on not-so-bad roads. Time is not a constraint, and I intend to break for lunch at Sringeri, which seems to be the logical mid-point of the journey.
Old 6th October 2015, 13:20   #6313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazeGuru View Post
I will be travelling to Mangalore on either 23rd/24th Oct from Davanagere. Driving from BLR to DVG on 23rd and from there to MLR on 24th
AmazeGuru, sharing few points :

Please don't take Davangere - Harihar - Honnalli - Shimoga route. The Honalli - Shimoga stretch is in bad shape and makes the progress slow (Davangere - Harihar PB Road has potholes and broken patches, but you can avoid it by taking NH4)

a) You can take the Hadadi Road Exit and do Davangere - Hadadi - Sulekere (Shanthi Sagara) - Nallur - Channagiri - Shimoga (good two lane scenic roads with less traffic). Though the distance is 10+ kilometres more compared to the other one, you can save time

- There's a beautiful view point of Shanthi Sagara (Sulekere - Asia's second largest irrigation tank) at 14.13071, 75.8853491. If you're not in a hurry, spend some 5 mins there

i) Shanthi Sagara - Channagiri road

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-11045340_10206165141431400_3560672391173773751_n.jpg

ii) Shanti Sagara - Channagiri road

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-10352616_10206165143231445_1611129118446514084_n.jpg

iii) Shanti Sagara view point

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-11041806_10206165139031340_1240905858544506695_n.jpg

iv) Views of Shanti Sagara

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-11037321_10206165139591354_5027801409222686991_n.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-11041802_10206165140871386_8376841639476534769_n.jpg

b) Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Someshwara

- Shimoga - Thirthahalli is in excellent condition
- Thirthahalli - Agumbe - excellent surface (but do watch out for two unmarked rumble strips - they resemble rough patches filed with granite pieces - after the deviation to Kundadri - roughly 8 km before Agumbe)

c) Agumbe - Someshwara

- First half is concreted and has broken patches
- Second half is tarred - seems recently resurfaced and is a bliss to drive

And while you're in Davangere, have the yummy Davangere Benne Dosa from Old Sagar Benne Dosa Hotel (or Sri Guru Kottureshwara Benne Dosa Hotel - easy to locate and park your vehicle)

Last edited by Klub Class : 6th October 2015 at 13:26.
Klub Class is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 15:26   #6314
BHPian

@Klub_Class, thanks for the suggestions. I will make sure to take the Channagiri - Shimoga route and avoid Honnali.

I do plan to visit Sringeri (break for lunch perhaps) via Thirthahalli - Koppa. Any idea about Sringeri to Mangalore route?

There were couple of routes that Google Map threw up:
1. Sringeri-Karkala-Padubidri-MLR
2. Sringeri-Karkala-Moodbidri-MLR

Any recommendations on the above routes to reach MLR?
Old 7th October 2015, 11:24   #6315
BHPian

Bangalore-Davanagere-Mangalore-Goa: Road Condition

Hi Folks,

I have planned a long road trip (long by my standard) during the end of this month and here is the itinerary.

Day 1: Bangalore - Davanagere via NH4 (I believe it is 4/6 lane throughout)

Day 2: Davanagere - Mangalore - Plan to take Channagiri-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Sringeri-Karkala-Moodabidri-MLR route. Need help from experts on the road condition.

Day 3: Mangalore sight-seeing

Day 4: Mangalore - Udupi and stay in Udupi. (Visit the temple and St Mary island)

Day 5: Udupi - Goa: stops at Maravanthe-Murdeshwara-Gokarna. Destination is Colva beach

Day 6&7: Goa sight-seeing

Day 8: Leave Goa and head to Bangalore via NH4A and SH34 and join NH4 @ Dharwad (Borim-Mallem-Gharli-Honnapur-Dharwad)

I will need help on the road condition on the above route - especially the NH17 from MLR to GOA and also from GOA - Dharwad. I will be driving my Amaze (with family) and do not want to get into bad roads in a low-GC car.

Thanks,
Guru

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks