Here
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 10:33   #6377
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Folks, can you please suggest a decent vegetarian restaurant in Hassan for lunch with family? We will be traveling to Kukke on the 24th and will be returning the 25th.
Are you traveling from Bangalore ?
If so, any reason why are you looking for a hotel/break option in Hassan specifically ?

If not, there are other options as well along the way (and you avoid getting into the Hassan town):
1. Swathi Delicacy (Veg), just before Yediyur
2. Mayura (Veg) at Bellur Cross
3. A2B (new, Veg) at Udayapura and a Kamat (veg) opposite this
4. I think there is an IOC petrol pump with a CCD in its campus also at Udayapura
5. Sakleshpur has some options like Athithi
6. At Kukke, there is a Vijay Comforts hotel which is right at the entrance of the town, can't miss. Their restaurant is decent too (Veg).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
For those who are not familiar with the history of Karnataka, Mayura Sharma was the first Kannada King, and also the founder of Kadamba Dynasty. That is why so many restaurants along Bangalore-Hassan area are named Mayura.
And the famous Dr.Rajkumar movie by the same name Mayura

Last edited by NPV : 20th October 2015 at 10:46.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 10:50   #6378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would suggest two of them:

- Suvarna Regency
- Ashok.

The IOC bunk (here) is a good one to fill.
Never visited Sri Krishna? - It was answer to Survana when it came up in Hassan more than a decade ago and still serves one of the best Veg food and at par with Suvarna when it comes to amenities, has excellent parking next to the complex. Try it next time.

Quote:
Sorry. I thought link worked.

The one I meant is in the city.

Here
This Fuel station is next to the house of an influential baron who owned E class when we did our Engineering and now has more to his list. Most of us refilled here knowing all his cars too were tanking up at this fuel station. This is BPCL and if you ask any local here, its name is synonymous to the surame of the biggie.

Apart from this, Venkatadri Service Station which is a HPCL station at Santhepete Circle is another very reliable and good station which also accepts cards and owned by folks who flaunt multiple car/2 wheeler dealerships in Hassan.

It is located right here.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 12:12   #6379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, can you please suggest a decent vegetarian restaurant in Hassan for lunch with family? We will be traveling to Kukke on the 24th and will be returning the 25th. I will also need to refuel (petrol) at Hassan. Any suggestions of a bunk with pure fuel will be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
I would suggest two of them:

- Suvarna Regency
- Ashok.
Agree with Ampere. Suvarna Regency is one the better places to have Veg food in Hassan. Hotel Hassan Ashhok has a better ambiance but food is very inconsistent. Both of them are on the main BM road (Bangalore Mangalore road) inside Hassan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Please add to the list, Hotel Mayura International on the Hassan bypass. Pure veg, tasty food and quick service.
This is a good option too. But it is not on the Hassan bypass. it is located on BM road at Thanneruhalla (towards Mangalore just after the junction where Belur road joins BM road))

Apart from the above mentioned places, there is a new Veg only restaurant called Swaad at Hotel Raama just before Thanneeruhalla (Thanneeruhalla is the junction where the road forks towards Mangalore and towards Belur-Chikmagalur). This is a fairly new place and has good ambiance as well as good food. No problems with parking too. My suggestion is to try this

Quote:

The one I meant is in the city.

Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Apart from this, Venkatadri Service Station which is a HPCL station at Santhepete Circle is another very reliable and good station which also accepts cards and owned by folks who flaunt multiple car/2 wheeler dealerships in Hassan.

It is located right here.
Agree with ampere and Parag. These 2 fuel stations are quite popular in Hassan. Both of them are located on the right hand side of the road (when coming from Bangalore)
addyhemmige is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 12:15   #6380
BHPian

Quote:
Your link did work, ampere! Since G-Maps says it's Kenchamba Petrol Bunk, not IOC, I got confused. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Are you traveling from Bangalore ?
If so, any reason why are you looking for a hotel/break option in Hassan specifically ?

If not, there are other options as well along the way (and you avoid getting into the Hassan town):
1. Swathi Delicacy (Veg), just before Yediyur
2. Mayura (Veg) at Bellur Cross
3. A2B (new, Veg) at Udayapura and a Kamat (veg) opposite this
4. I think there is an IOC petrol pump with a CCD in its campus also at Udayapura
5. Sakleshpur has some options like Athithi
6. At Kukke, there is a Vijay Comforts hotel which is right at the entrance of the town, can't miss. Their restaurant is decent too (Veg).
NPV, yes, I am leaving from south Bangalore. Due to other commitments, I can leave only at or a little after 10:45 am. Any place before Hassan might be a little too early for lunch. So I decided to refuel both man and machine there.

#s 1 - 4 in your post have been mentioned a few posts earlier, and I had noted those details down then, but thanks again!

Any additional info on Athithi in Sakleshpur? I couldn't find it in G-Maps. I may have to eat there on the way back.

We are staying at Vyasa Mandira in Kukke. My brother stayed there a month ago and recommended it. It is a new place built by the Subramanya Mutt itself. Has A/C rooms and a decent veg restaurant. 08257-281811. www.snsmutt.com. However I am saving the info on Vijay Comforts, thanks. Always good to have multiple options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Never visited Sri Krishna?

This Fuel station ...

Apart from this, Venkatadri Service Station which is a HPCL station at Santhepete Circle is another very reliable and good station. It is located right here.
Thanks Parag, info saved. But couldn't locate Venkatadri Service Station or any HPCL stations in Hassan either from your link or G-Maps.
Old 20th October 2015, 12:43   #6381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parag, info saved. But couldn't locate Venkatadri Service Station or any HPCL stations in Hassan either from your link or G-Maps.
If you see Parag's link, there is a Federal Bank marked there. That is the Venkatadri fuel station. There used to be a circle here earlier which was used as a landmark, but now that has been removed.

In fact the marking of Federal bank is wrong as the bank is not located at that place. The actual location of Federal bank is at another place which was suggested here, Suvarna Regency (which is a few hundred meters earlier on the same road)
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 13:22   #6382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
If you see Parag's link, there is a Federal Bank marked there. That is the Venkatadri fuel station.
Aah, the wonders of Google Maps! Thanks addyhemmige!
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 14:42   #6383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you see Parag's link, there is a Federal Bank marked there. That is the Venkatadri fuel station. There used to be a circle here earlier which was used as a landmark, but now that has been removed.

In fact the marking of Federal bank is wrong as the bank is not located at that place. The actual location of Federal bank is at another place which was suggested here, Suvarna Regency (which is a few hundred meters earlier on the same road)
Quote:
Aah, the wonders of Google Maps! Thanks addyhemmige!
This is what happens when you only look at google maps and search your destination/POI versus knowing the place even before Googlemaps arrived .

There are so many such locations all over Googlemaps which provide wrong info, specially in small towns and you end up driving to a wrong location altogether.

I was more than sure that the point marked Federal Bank was indeed the fuel station since this is a place I have filled quite a number of times and Hassan is like a backyard since childhood. If you see the location in Earth mode, you can spot the fuel station (Huge Flat roof).
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 20:33   #6384
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to drive down from Bangalore next week and spend a couple of days there visiting temples. Think Udupi would be a suitable base, but open to other suggestions. Also need suggestion for a good hotel with parking.

This is the tentative plan
Day 1: Reach Udupi via Mangalore (meeting a friend in Mangalore).
Day 2: Visit the Udupi Krishna temple, Mookambika temple and if possible Murdeshwar and back to Udupi.
Day 3: Head back to Bangalore via Dharmastala and Kukke Subramanya.

Will visit other places only if time permits. Might even drop from the above list. Basically want to do a relaxed trip.

Would it be possible to visit either Kukke Subramanya or Dharmastala during the onward journey? Asking because as per my calculations, it will be almost afternoon closing time for both these places by the time we make it. Assuming a 6-7am start on a Monday morning.

Also, what is status of Agumbe ghats? Heard it will closed in Nov. Am I better of taking NH 48 for both ways?
Old 20th October 2015, 22:17   #6385
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am planning to drive down from Bangalore next week and spend a couple of days there visiting temples. Think Udupi would be a suitable base, but open to other suggestions. Also need suggestion for a good hotel with parking.

This is the tentative plan
Day 1: Reach Udupi via Mangalore (meeting a friend in Mangalore).
Day 2: Visit the Udupi Krishna temple, Mookambika temple and if possible Murdeshwar and back to Udupi.
Day 3: Head back to Bangalore via Dharmastala and Kukke Subramanya.

Will visit other places only if time permits. Might even drop from the above list. Basically want to do a relaxed trip.

Would it be possible to visit either Kukke Subramanya or Dharmastala during the onward journey? Asking because as per my calculations, it will be almost afternoon closing time for both these places by the time we make it. Assuming a 6-7am start on a Monday morning.

Also, what is status of Agumbe ghats? Heard it will closed in Nov. Am I better of taking NH 48 for both ways?
Actually, if you start your journey in both directions at 4 AM => both dharmasthala and kukke will work out.

Day 1 :
you can take shiradi ghat (since you anyway plan to go to mangalore) and detour for 22kms from gundya and reach kukke ~9 AM (after a breakfast stop beforehand). Temple will be open and you can finish darsan, retrace the 22km and proceed further to mangalore and then onwards to udupi.
You can even do evening darsan at udupi sree krishna temple

Day 2 :
start early morning 5 AM , go to mookambika and finish darsan. THen on, proceed to murudeswar and be back to udupi in the evening (very hectic). If murudeswar is avoidable, start 8 AM from udupi, darsan at mookambika, followed by annaprasada, reach back to udupi by evening relaxed.
Again you can do one more darsan of udupi sree krishna in the evening

Day 3 :
Start at 4-5 AM and reach dharmasthala through karkala route. Have breakfast and a relaxed darsan (before the crowd starts pouring in). Then take the charmadi route back to belur, hassan and bangalore. You will get enough time to rest in bangalore , before office the next day.
Old 20th October 2015, 22:22   #6386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can try this:

- D1 : Drive to Kalasa. Stay. Visit temple in the evening.
- D2 : Visit Horanadu next day morning and drive to Udupi. Its about 100km via Kudremukh. Visit Udupi temple in the evening. Stay at Udupi.
- D3: Drive early morning by 8 to Kollur. Finish darshan by 11/12 and drive to Sringeri. Visit temple in the evening stay overnight
- D4: Drive to Kukke. Visit by evening. Choice of driving back or stay overnight and come back next day.
Dharmasthala can be crowded so not sure. May be visit Dharmasthala and drive to Kukke by evening. Stay overnight and drive back to Bangalore the next on D5.

Last edited by ampere : 20th October 2015 at 22:24.
Old 20th October 2015, 22:57   #6387
Senior - BHPian

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:

Looks like some people depend on Google Maps to even slow down for speed breakers 😀

Last edited by speedsatya : 20th October 2015 at 23:04.
Old 21st October 2015, 11:11   #6388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Actually, if you start your journey in both directions at 4 AM => both dharmasthala and kukke will work out.

Day 2 :
start early morning 5 AM , go to mookambika and finish darsan. THen on, proceed to murudeswar and be back to udupi in the evening (very hectic). If murudeswar is avoidable, start 8 AM from udupi, darsan at mookambika, followed by annaprasada, reach back to udupi by evening relaxed.
Again you can do one more darsan of udupi sree krishna in the evening
I am traveling with two ladies 65 and 80 years old. So, 4 am start is not possible.

Would it be that hectic to go to Murudeswar? As per google maps, Murudeswar is just over an hour's drive from Mookambika temple.

Quote:
You can try this:

- D1 : Drive to Kalasa. Stay. Visit temple in the evening.
- D2 : Visit Horanadu next day morning and drive to Udupi. Its about 100km via Kudremukh. Visit Udupi temple in the evening. Stay at Udupi.
- D3: Drive early morning by 8 to Kollur. Finish darshan by 11/12 and drive to Sringeri. Visit temple in the evening stay overnight
- D4: Drive to Kukke. Visit by evening. Choice of driving back or stay overnight and come back next day.
Dharmasthala can be crowded so not sure. May be visit Dharmasthala and drive to Kukke by evening. Stay overnight and drive back to Bangalore the next on D5.
I am not able decide one hotel in Udupi and you are now suggesting me to find four Please suggest hotels as well.
Old 21st October 2015, 11:34   #6389
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not able decide one hotel in Udupi and you are now suggesting me to find four Please suggest hotels as well.
For a visit to Kollur Mookambika you can either stay at Udupi or at Kollur itself - Mookambika Palace owned by the Adigas group is good, also Abimon Residency has been recommended by some TBHPians as well. Both hotels are in walking distance to the temple.

EDIT: Look up this thread as well for more information on hotel options - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-take-11.html

At Kukke, there is a Vijay comforts that seemed decent, we tried only the restaurant en route to Bekal.

Last edited by NPV : 21st October 2015 at 11:37.
Old 21st October 2015, 14:04   #6390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What hotels in Udupi have you shortlisted? Or what is ur budget. I am at Udupi so I can book / recommend if needed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks