Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2015, 09:04   #6466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Planning a round trip to Chikmagalur from Manipal, with family, in our new Aspire (petrol). How is the Charmadi route? Both parents have back problems so would prefer a comfortable route and with at least 2 toilet breaks.
Read my last few posts. Charmadi is holding up well overall. However, since you mention your parents have back problems, I would advice against it since all 11 Hair pin curves has bad surface and while making a climb, it may not be a pleasant experience.

On the other hand, even the Kalasa-Kottigehara is bad in patches.
So via Kuduremukha is also ruled out.

You need to be thinking of other alternatives via Agumbe (even if longer) or Sringeri considering your criteria because Manipal Karkala SK Border Sringeri is in better shape.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th November 2015 at 09:15.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 10:30   #6467
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

You need to be thinking of other alternatives via Agumbe (even if longer) or Sringeri considering your criteria because Manipal Karkala SK Border Sringeri is in better shape.
We always take the hebri - agumbe - sringeri - chikmagalur route. This is a very winding and slow route - but its a pleasure to travel through.
I thought Charmadi might be better and faster. If its just the 11 hair pins that are bad, would going really carefully through them help (or is it just too bad).

Have never tried this route though - Manipal Karkala SK Border Sringeri. What ghats do we get here.
Old 26th November 2015, 10:42   #6468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought Charmadi might be better and faster. If its just the 11 hair pins that are bad, would going really carefully through them help (or is it just too bad).
Well, its just the Hair Pins. Else the whole Ghat is holding up fantastically for all the abuses it has taken while Shiradi was closed. Icing on the cake its that since its now the less preferred route, traffic is also on the lower side even during peak/extended weekends.

Quote:
Have never tried this route though - Manipal Karkala SK Border Sringeri. What ghats do we get here.
This is NH13 that forks out into 2 near SK Border (Forest Gate) where heading left will lead to Sringeri and straight towards Kuduremukha-Karkala (and its the same NH that continues to Sringeri). The NH itself is in super good condition when I drove a month back till this fork.

This too is a winding road but I am not fully sure about the conditions beyond this fork till Sringeri which is around 40+ kms.
Old 26th November 2015, 12:46   #6469
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

I am planning to travel to Mangalore on Dec 28th from Bangalore in my santro.
I am travelling with my wife and my 2 kids.
I am not a speed-enthusiast and I am happy driving between 80-90 kmph.

Google maps is suggesting route 48 - Bangalore-Nelamangala-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Nellyadi-Uppinangadi-Mangalore

Can you please let me know if the above route is good? If not, can you please suggest an alternative route?
Old 26th November 2015, 13:32   #6470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narenteam View Post
Google maps is suggesting route 48 - Bangalore-Nelamangala-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Nellyadi-Uppinangadi-Mangalore

Can you please let me know if the above route is good? If not, can you please suggest an alternative route?
Stick to that if your ultimate destination is Mangalore. Don't worry on roads. They remain good.

Dual carriageway with median all the way till Hassan from Bangalore for 184 kms (except Channarayapatna bypass) which is single carriageway without a median.

Hassan - Sakleshpur - Donigal - Gundya - BC Road - 2 Lane & Good roads with wide ghat roads and not too much twisty unlike Charmadi Ghat.

BC Road - Pumpwell Circle(Mangalore)will again be dual carriageway with median which is a mere 20 kms stretch.

With a 80-90kmph cruising speeds and provided that you start early as 5/6am, budget at least 6 hours along with one meal break (Breakfast mostly).

You can plan to break anywhere between Kunigal Cross (1.5 hours) to Sakleshpura (3.5 Hours) at many options available.

Swati Delicacy (After Kunigal Byapss), Adigas Grand (Little ahead after Swati), CCD & Mayura (Nelligere/Bellur Cros), A2B, Aadya's Grand, Kamat (all located before Udyapura after CR Patna Bypass ends), Ashrita (Sakleshpur).
Old 26th November 2015, 15:14   #6471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania

Stick to that if your ultimate destination is Mangalore. Don't worry on roads. They remain good.

Dual carriageway with median all the way till Hassan from Bangalore for 184 kms (except Channarayapatna bypass) which is single carriageway without a median.

Hassan - Sakleshpur - Donigal - Gundya - BC Road - 2 Lane & Good roads with wide ghat roads and not too much twisty unlike Charmadi Ghat.

BC Road - Pumpwell Circle(Mangalore)will again be dual carriageway with median which is a mere 20 kms stretch.
Thank you very much, paragsachania, for the detailed response! Really appreciate it.
I meant 80-90kmph as max speed . I am a sedate driver and will assume it will take a few hours more for the travel.
Old 26th November 2015, 20:20   #6472

Hello BHPians,

I am planning to travel to Mangalore from Bangalore on the 5th of December with my colleagues for an academic conference in a VW Vento. Since, I will be driving for the first time to Mangalore, apart from the Google Map recommended route via Hassan-Shiradi-BC Road, which will be the other alternative routes? My colleagues and I are unfamiliar with other routes so, please suggest the best route to be taken. Apologies if the query seems repetitive.

Regards,

Gautam.
Old 26th November 2015, 21:54   #6473
BHPian

Restaurants en route to Haasan from Bengaluru

What is a decent restaurant for BF between Bengaluru and Haasan? I plan to take the NICE road from Electronic City as I live near Bellandur. Is that the right route? Would appreciate inputs. Thanks and cheers
Old 26th November 2015, 21:58   #6474
Team-BHP Support

Re: Restaurants en route to Haasan from Bengaluru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
What is a decent restaurant for BF between Bengaluru and Haasan? I plan to take the NICE road from Electronic City as I live near Bellandur. Is that the right route? Would appreciate inputs. Thanks and cheers
You have many now. Take the first one that comes. Go past Kunigal bypass and go about 8km up. You should see Swathi Delicacy on the other side.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 22:55   #6475
BANNED

Quote:
Planning a round trip to Chikmagalur from Manipal, with family, in our new Aspire (petrol). How is the Charmadi route? Both parents have back problems so would prefer a comfortable route and with at least 2 toilet breaks.
Lucky you. That place is going to be beautiful with the rains just getting over. The Charmadi ghat road is very good. Though they have attempted to widen some sections, it's a bit narrow. So keep your headlights on.

In particular there are one or two turnings with large rock outcroppings. I have had a few scary moments with a Kempanna bus emerging suddenly.

Rest breaks - I don't remember. There are a couple of good comments on this thread which mention decent hotels. Please search a bit.

But I have seen a few decent looking resort type hotels on the way. I've not stopped at any. So can't comment.

You're going via Agumbe? Just check. I read they're closing that road for repairs. If it's not, it's a bad road.

Suggest you take karkala, kudremukh, horanadu and so on. See map.

Don't go upto Belthangadi. That's too long. Go via kudremukh.

Is it a holiday? Visit Kuvempu's memorial village and museum. It's well maintained and worth it. It's near Sringeri. A place called kuppalli.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-image.png  

Last edited by hangover : 26th November 2015 at 23:04.
Old 27th November 2015, 09:21   #6476
BHPian

Greetings folks !

There used to be a perpetual jam at the B C Road Junction flyover ... Or whatever one wants to call that monstrosity.
Is it still a regular event?
If so has anyone tried any detour?

Thanks in advance.

Drive Safe.
Old 27th November 2015, 10:51   #6477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
Last 2 times I drove - Once via Shiradi in August and Charmadi last month, I passed this section without much ado.

I am sure you are referring to the Junction before the flyover starts where road from Ujire/Belthangady intersects Bangalore-Mangalore Highway?

Neither I faced jams during onward or return.
Old 27th November 2015, 11:02   #6478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
There used to be a perpetual jam at the B C Road Junction flyover ... Or whatever one wants to call that monstrosity.
If so has anyone tried any detour?
I know what you are speaking about. It is coz of the poor condition of road at the junction. Huge potholes coming from Bantwal/Belthangady side into the junction. Hence vehicles slow down and result in jam at times. I wonder, why they can NOT repair that spot. It's been like that for quite some time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Last 2 times I drove - Once via Shiradi in August and Charmadi last month, I passed this section without much ado.

I am sure you are referring to the Junction before the flyover starts where road from Ujire/Belthangady intersects Bangalore-Mangalore Highway?
Yes, it is the junction before the flyover starts and other roads merge onto NH48.
JMaruru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 12:57   #6479
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure whether these questions can be asked here. If not suitable, kindly shift to relevant threads.

I am travelling from Bangalore on the 29th of this month. Trip consists of three stages:

1. Day 1 - Bangalore to Sakleshpur - No questions here. Straight forward route.

2. Day 2 - Sakleshpur to Kalasa - I am planning to take the following route - Sakleshpur - Hanbal - Mudigere - Kottigehaara - Balur - Kalasa. How is this route at present? Any major worry?

3. Day 3 - Kalasa to Dharmasthala to Bangalore - I am planning to take the following route - Kalasa - Kottigehaara - Charmadi Ghat - Ujire - Dharmasthala - Nellyadi - Shiradi Ghat - Gundya - Sakleshpur - Bangalore. How are Charmadi Ghat and Shiradi Ghat at present? Any major worry? I heard Shiradi Ghat might be closed in December. Is it true?

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-horanadu.jpg

Given above is the route map. Kindly guide me. Vehicle is VW Vento TDI.

Regards,
Anant
Old 27th November 2015, 14:10   #6480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
2. Day 2 - Sakleshpur to Kalasa - I am planning to take the following route - Sakleshpur - Hanbal - Mudigere - Kottigehaara - Balur - Kalasa. How is this route at present? Any major worry?
Yes, and I say this because Sakleshpur to Hanbal is a really bad stretch with some huge potholes. I did this last month to avoid the mad rush on the usual Sakleshpur Mangalore stretch and have the following inputs for you:
  • From the place where you fork out off NH for Hanbal, the roads are back till Hanbal town - It is mostly going to be a drive through 1-2-3 gears only

• It is a narrow road and has very rough/sharp edges along with the potholes mentioned above

• Post Hanbal, the road are relaid all the way till Jannapura (where you hit Belur-Mudigere stretch) barring occasions where culvert/bridges are undone and you will suddenly spot them in the middle of nowehere due to the better tarmac you get after Hanbal

• Jannapura - Mudigere Handpost - Banakal - Kottigehara - Balur remains in Good Shape

• Balur - Javali - Kelagur - Kalasa is a mixed bag with mostly moderate roads on this particular stretch and certain bad sections

Assuming that you drive a Vento (We met at Mallandur if you can recall), I would advice you do this under natural light and with a lot of patience and it is only a small stretch 15-20 kms after which roads are good from Hanbal onward.

Quote:
3. Day 3 - Kalasa to Dharmasthala to Bangalore - I am planning to take the following route - Kalasa - Kottigehaara - Charmadi Ghat - Ujire - Dharmasthala - Nellyadi - Shiradi Ghat - Gundya - Sakleshpur - Bangalore. How are Charmadi Ghat and Shiradi Ghat at present? Any major worry? I heard Shiradi Ghat might be closed in December. Is it true?
Makes sense. That is best way to approach Dharmasthala. Else you can as well do Kalasa - Kuduremukha - Bajagoli - Naravi - Belthangady - Ujire - Dharmasthala. But this is going to be really longer by at least 25-30 kms but faster sections for the 2 reasons below:
  • You don't have to do Kalasa - Kottigehara again which has bad sections
  • You will approach Ujire via Kuduremukha which will have zero freight, zero KSRTC, very little Private Bus and light private traffic plus less winding roads (against Charmadi which has 11 Hair Pin curves)

If you are looking for a scenic route where you have places you can actually stop by and take photos, via Kuduremukha is advised else you can stick to Kalasa - Kottigehara - Ujire - Dharmasthala.

For Dharmasthala - Bangalore - No advice needed. Take the usual Gundya -Shiradi -Sakleshpur route to return to base.

Shiradi - Is mostly good and there is no need to worry for any car

Charmadi - If you read my last few posts, I have reported that the 11 Hairpin curves have bad surface. May not be a pain to negotiate when descending for Ujire but certainly might irritate if you are climbing up and have a low slung sedan.

Note: I had driven Bangalore - Sakleshpur - Hanbal - Mudigere - Ujire - Mangalore - Padubidre - Karkala - Kuduremukha - Kalasa - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore last month and the conditions reported are from that drive.

News about Shiradi Ghat closure in Dec 2015 : Read it all here

Quote:
The Shiradi Ghat stretch of national highway 75 between the city and Bengaluru will remain closed for four months from December this year.

Speaking at Hassan, superintending engineer of National Highways Authority of India, Raghavan, said on Friday October 16 that the second phase of works on the road would be completed in four months.

He gave this information at the meeting of the district awareness committee held at Hoysala auditorium of zilla panchayat, Hassan. "The first phase of 13 km road concreting was completed recently. Crash barrier construction has also been finished. Work of building 2.4 km of protective wall and 200 metres of culverts are yet to be completed. The contractors have time till November this year to finish these jobs," he explained.

He said that tender processes are continuing for the second phase of work, and that like in the past, works will be allowed to begin only after the concerned stock enough raw materials to complete over half of the road works.

"Although 24 months time is allotted as per contract rules for this work, we will ensure that the work is attended within four months. For taking up road works, we will have to close the road," he added.

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th November 2015 at 14:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks