Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2015, 14:54   #6481
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Hello all,

I shall be driving Bangalore-Mangalore-Udupi-Bangalore shortly. Start from Bangalore on Dec 2 and back on Dec 4. I shall be driving a Jetta.

The route suggested by Google for this is shown below in the picture. Is that the only route (or is that the best route)?

The reason I am concerned is that according to some earlier posts, Shiradi Ghat will be closed in December and Google is showing only Shiradi Ghat. Please note that this is the complete route, both to and from, being shown in the picture here. Same route to go and come back. I am also posting the link here for reference. https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Cl...d13.007794!3e0

I noticed some people mentioning alternate routes but I am unable to properly map those in Google.

Can someone please suggest and help me map the best route for this please?

Thank you and cheers
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by tilt : 27th November 2015 at 14:59.
Old 27th November 2015, 15:11   #6482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Yes, and I say this because Sakleshpur to Hanbal is a really bad stretch with some huge potholes.
  • From the place where you fork out off NH for Hanbal, the roads are back till Hanbal town - It is mostly going to be a drive through 1-2-3 gears only

• It is a narrow road and has very rough/sharp edges along with the potholes mentioned above
  • Balur - Javali - Kelagur - Kalasa is a mixed bag with mostly moderate roads on this particular stretch and certain bad sections

Assuming that you drive a Vento (We met at Mallandur if you can recall), I would advice you do this under natural light and with a lot of patience and it is only a small stretch 15-20 kms after which roads are good from Hanbal onward.

[/url]
Hi paragsachania,

Thank you for the immediate and valuable response. Of course I do remember meeting you in Mallandur (on the plains).

So my main concerns would be:

1. Stretch between Sakleshpur and Hanbal - I might be doing this stretch at around 10 AM.
2. Kottigehaara to Kalasa - Again this will be done in the morning.

Once again, thank you very much.

Regards,
Anant
anantu2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 22:15   #6483
BHPian

Hope this is the right thread to request route options from Sringeri to Davanagere.

Would this be ok?
https://goo.gl/maps/YoSqNyVXytr

Is it possible to depart Sringeri around 11am and reach Kolhapur (MH) by 10pm via Davanagere incorporating the above route?

Thanks.
Old 29th November 2015, 22:33   #6484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post
Hope this is the right thread to request route options from Sringeri to Davanagere.
The default route would be to head to Thirthahalli and continue towards Shimoga and there on head to Channagiri. But even the NR Pura road is good to come down to Bhdravathi. But I dont about Bhadra-Channagiri road. Expect it to be narrow and rough. Typically thats the texture of roads in these regions.

As regards to timing, I would say put about 4 to 4.5 hours max to hit Davanagere. An average of 50 would be reasonable due to winding roads. An extra half an hour added to account for bad roads if any beyond Bhdravathi.

Davanagere to Kolhapur is another 350km. Expect another 4.5 to 5 hours. An average of 70km/h. I would say plan for about 10/11PM arrival. Definitely possible.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 23:07   #6485
BHPian

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The default route would be to head to Thirthahalli and continue towards Shimoga and there on head to Channagiri
Any specific reason to go via Thirthahalli? As per maps it is about 25km longer than going via Bhdravathi. Of course if the road conditions are better than it should be preferable.
Quote:
But even the NR Pura road is good to come down to Bhdravathi.
NR Pura road = SH 65?

Thanks again for your reply.
Old 30th November 2015, 00:01   #6486
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any specific reason to go via Thirthahalli? As per maps it is about 25km longer than going via Bhdravathi. Of course if the road conditions are better than it should be preferable.
The only reason being its the standard NH13 upto Channagiri. Also note the road beyond Channagiri towards Davanagere may not be that great.

Quote:
NR Pura road = SH 65?
Yes thats the SH65.
Old 30th November 2015, 00:07   #6487
BHPian

Quote:
Also note the road beyond Channagiri towards Davanagere may not be that great.
Thanks.

If we put it differently, what should be the best route to hit NH4 from Sringeri?

I've to travel up to Pune.

Thanks again.
Old 30th November 2015, 00:27   #6488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If we put it differently, what should be the best route to hit NH4 from Sringeri?
What you chartered out is the correct route. Tilll Channagiri its perfect. But most take Nh13 to Chitradurga (Shimoga-Chitradurga) and hence there is not much of an update available about the road condition from Channagiri to Davanagere.

Also you will have to cut through Bhadravathi town. Please keep a GPS handy with the correct route marked for guidance. Else you can easily lose time.
Old 30th November 2015, 00:41   #6489
BHPian

This looks like the shortest connection from Sringeri to NH4 if one is northwards bound

https://goo.gl/maps/GTwAAgSznQy

However, I recall reading that Shimoga to Honnali was under repairs.

Thanks so much for all the information
Old 30th November 2015, 00:51   #6490
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This looks like the shortest connection from
However, I recall reading that Shimoga to Honnali was under repairs.
Exactly. Thats precisely I was not recommending that option. Its quite bad as per last what I know. You are better off taking the Channagiri option. And if you want to take that, there is no point coming back to Shimoga, but go via Bhdadravathi. But yes, you have some time loss due to crossing Bhadra town.
Old 30th November 2015, 00:57   #6491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope this is the right thread to request route options from Sringeri to Davanagere
Regarding Channagiri - Davangere, the roads are scenic but average two lane roads passing through few villages and towns with speedbreakers and few potholes through in between

- Channagiri - Bhadravati - Shimoga is good with few rough patches and speedbreakers

It took me 2+ hours to do Davangere - Sulekere (Asia's second largest irrigation tank) - Channagiri - Bhadravati - Shimoga during my last two drives. The last drive was in October last week

Another suggestion would be : Sringeri - Koppa - Thirthahalli - Shimoga - Honnalli - Malebennur - Devarabelekere - Davangere

- The bad sector in Shimoga - Davangere is between Malebennur and Harihar (no information about the current status. Anyone?). You can avoid the bad sector by taking the above road. The roads are good to go as per my friend's update

- Shimoga - Thirathalli is excellent

- Thirthahalli - Koppa - Sringeri is good

Last edited by Klub Class : 30th November 2015 at 01:03.
Klub Class is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 01:22   #6492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Regarding Channagiri - Davangere, the roads are scenic but average two lane roads passing through few villages and towns with speedbreakers and few potholes through in between

- Channagiri - Bhadravati - Shimoga is good with few rough patches and speedbreakers

It took me 2+ hours to do Davangere - Sulekere (Asia's second largest irrigation tank) - Channagiri - Bhadravati - Shimoga during my last two drives. The last drive was in October last week

Another suggestion would be : Sringeri - Koppa - Thirthahalli - Shimoga - Honnalli - Malebennur - Devarabelekere - Davangere

- The bad sector in Shimoga - Davangere is between Malebennur and Harihar (no information about the current status. Anyone?). You can avoid the bad sector by taking the above road. The roads are good to go as per my friend's update

- Shimoga - Thirathalli is excellent

- Thirthahalli - Koppa - Sringeri is good
Thanks Klub_Class for that important update. There are many travelers intending to hit NH4 from Western destinations like Udupi/Agumbe/Shivamogga etc and your recent drives help us ascertain the latest info as it is always great to hear the account from one's recent travels, especially when these are roads less traveled and the fact that the regions here are marred by uncertain weather conditions (Read rains) and roads giving away in a matter of 24 hours!!

This will certainly help a lot of folks here.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 01:32   #6493
Senior - BHPian

Manipal to Chikmagalur. 163 kms in 4:45 hours with breaks totalling about 40 min.
Average speed: 36 km/h

Took the Hebri - Agumbe - Sringeri - balehonnur - Aldur route. The roads were nice but very slow. It's like we had to drive through 3 ghat sections. Nowhere did I get a stretch of straight road of more than 2 km, after the first 10 upto Hiriyadka and until the last 10 km upto Chikmagalur !!!

Have always taken this route in our Alto so never went over 30-40 on the winding curves. This time, in the new car, I did not realise I was doing 50+ until my mother and wife started complaining of feeling nauseous at the back Obviously I slowed down after that.

We had 3 toilet breaks - one just below Agumbe, pay and use at Jayapura bus stand and one at an Aldur petrol bunk. These breaks also included some snacking and looking for vegetable shops.

(Don't know if this is the right thread for this, but one of us did travel from Manipal to Bangalore, albeit in another car.)

Chikmagalur to Manipal - 177 km in 4:50 hours with breaks totalling about 30 min. Average speed 35 km/h

Decided to take a different route to avoid the winding stuff. So it was Mudigere - Charmadi - Ujire - Bajegoli - Karkala - Hiriyadka - Manipal route. As expected this was less winding and faster, but few stretches of bad roads negated any advantage that could be had.

1) Amber Valley school to Mudigere town limits (except Mudigere town) - very bad stretch of broken tarmac.
2) upto about 5km from karkala bypass - BAD.

At belthangady considered going straight to mangalore then Udupi - Manipal. The distance was 110 km as against 90 kms via karkala (as told by a rickshaw fellow). Did not know the condition of the road upto bc road so decided against it.

At jodukatte, saw the karkala - Padubidri road and remembered Parag waxing eloquent about this road. Was tempted, but thought the extra distance would be too much. (Apparently not, according to Mr Google.)

Finally the change of route did not make any difference to time or comfort. Winding roads there - bad roads here.

But Google maps was spot on regarding the time taken. Wonder how they do that.
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 01:38   #6494
BHPian

Thank you Gentlemen for the brilliant suggestions.

I am planning out a 6,000km western seaboard drive from here in eastern India and the Sringeri - NH4 sector was the grey-est stretch for me. Thanks to the fantastic inputs I have much clarity now.

Let me revert on this with any further queries.

Thank again
drive_factor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 01:48   #6495
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Nice! Looks like you have come a long way from your home! When did you shift to these parts of the country ? (I did notice your updates about these locations. But forgot to ask you about it).

Quote:
Thank you Gentlemen for the brilliant suggestions.
That update from @KK clears up every thing for you!

As @drive_factor mentioned, going via Thirthahalli/Shimoga is a slight detour. Instead SH65 to Bhadra makes a lot of sense. And the update further beyond Channagiri adds it up.

But yes my original assessment on timing holds good. Assume 4.5 hours to hit the 4-lane from Sringeri.

Last edited by ampere : 30th November 2015 at 08:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks