Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2016, 05:58   #6616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
Seek route guidance on Chennai Udupi
Chennai - Bangalore - Nelamangala - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Uppinangady - BC Road - Mangalore - Udupi

This would be the easiest and possibly the fastest route. Are you planning to do this in a day?
Old 18th February 2016, 06:04   #6617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post

This would be the easiest and possibly the fastest route. Are you planning to do this in a day?

Thanks. Not in a day. Planning to halt at Hassan and any decent hotels at Hassan?
Old 18th February 2016, 07:59   #6618
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Thanks. Not in a day. Planning to halt at Hassan and any decent hotels at Hassan?
1. Southern Star
2. Suvarna Regency
3. Kadamba Comforts
4. Hotel Ashok
5. Mallige Residency

Check out 1 and 5 and then take a call although others are either on the higher side or a little less better when compared to these.
Old 18th February 2016, 10:10   #6619
BHPian

Thanks Parag. Hope it is safe to park the car.
Old 18th February 2016, 10:12   #6620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parag. Hope it is safe to park the car.
Indeed Safe and nothing to worry at all.
Old 18th February 2016, 11:26   #6621
BHPian

Quote:
Seek route guidance on Chennai Udupi
I do Chennai Kundapur atleast 4 - 5 times in a year.

My preferred route is Chennai - Ranipet - Chittor - Kolar - Hoskote - NH 207 - Dabaspete - Tumkur - Shimoga - Agumbe

It takes around 12 - 13 hours with regular breaks and not much traffic. Off late the drive between Tumkur and Shimoga has become lot painful due to increased number of speed breakers on this stretch.
Old 20th February 2016, 12:29   #6622
BHPian

Just reached Mangalore at 12. Started from Bannerghatta road at 4:45. Did the regular Shiradi route with 2 stops.

Panchayat elections in most of the villages enroute are happening today I guess. There is a crowd gathering in almost all villages. I had to slow down and drive through cautiously as the local bikes and cars were joining and leaving highway without proper signalling.
Old 21st February 2016, 17:03   #6623
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore to Udupi this morning. Started at 0515 from BSK 1st stage and reached Udupi at 1145 with one stop for fuel in Sakleshpura.

Road between the second and the last toll on the Mangalore highway is now bumpy with patchwork at many places. With summer starting in, this will start to deteriorate. It was a pitchy ride on the bike today.Truck traffic in Shiradi was very high today. So took the Dharmasthala - Belthangdi - Karkala - Manipal route. This route has been relaid at lot of places and one can easily cruise at 60kmph.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 18:53   #6624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
My preferred route is Chennai - Ranipet - Chittor - Kolar - Hoskote - NH 207 - Dabaspete - Tumkur - Shimoga - Agumbe
How is 207 between Devanahalli -Doddballapur- Dabaspet ?

May need to do this at 11 pm in a car. Anything to watch out for ?

Makin Rulesz - when was the last time you did this stretch ?
Old 21st February 2016, 20:40   #6625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

The road remains good Condor.

Even without a reason few folks with me keep doing this circuit quite regularly. Of course the last one was at least 3 months before.

Post 11pm, traffic won't be much but still you will have decent freight traffic anyway. So this isn't really a deserted stretch by any means as we have done this late at nights and returned via Dabaspet back home.

Nearing towns and Railway crossings you only need to watch out for Speedbreakers but that's about it.

Regarding road conditons - Devanahalli to Doddaballapura is excellent throughout. Doddaballapura to Dabaspet is good too but they have patched few sections to fill up any potholes.

Overall, definitely a good road to drive on.

There might be Police Check Posts nearing Doddaballapur and Dabaspet (we have seen it 30% of the times at night). So just carry all documents with you just in case.
Old 21st February 2016, 22:37   #6626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

It was last week of November that i took this route.
Then it was mostly good throughout, except for few potholes just after the junction, where road from Budigere joins in. Also road widening work was ongoing beween Dabaspete and Doddaballapura.

Traffic would not be much other than trucks taking it to bypass the city. Look out for unmarked speed breakers and bikers near around the villages.
Old 21st February 2016, 23:21   #6627
BHPian

I will be travelling by car from Udipi to Mysore with family in the beginning of May, can anyone suggest the best route. Intend to start at around 6.00 am and hope to reach Mysore by 1.00 pm. Is this a realistic time or will it take longer?
Old 22nd February 2016, 05:48   #6628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Regarding road conditons - Devanahalli to Doddaballapura is excellent throughout. Doddaballapura to Dabaspet is good too but they have patched few sections to fill up any potholes.

Overall, definitely a good road to drive on.
I think the other issue is: Can a driver relatively new to the area, who has no idea of the directions to be taken, cover that section without getting lost? Once your cross the Doddaballapur railway crossing, you need to get the the main cross road, where you turn left to Doddaballapur. How about that section being covered at night? I think there are sign-guages? But are they enough for one to use?

Last edited by ampere : 22nd February 2016 at 07:12.
Old 22nd February 2016, 07:55   #6629
Senior - BHPian

Update in today's Udayavani newspaper on the Shiradi repairs. The work will not start soon according to the report.

However the extension of small bridges and culverts were being worked on when I travelled through the Shiradi yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1456107840463.jpg  

unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 08:06   #6630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think the other issue is: Can a driver relatively new to the area, who has no idea of the directions to be taken, cover that section without getting lost?
Just last Thursday, Speedsatya simply relied on Googlemaps and returned via Doddaballapur - Nelemangala without issues. Of course this may not be much tedious compared to getting inside Doddaballapura town and navigating to hit the road leading to Dabaspet but nothing less challenging to find a road leading to Nelemangala from here too.

I had constantly mentioned him over chat about possible confusions right where you are nearing Doddaballapur Town and the absence of signage exactly where you need.

So to answer your question - Anyone can get lost as anyone else and many of them wont like many others .

I can tell you what happened only yesterday when one of my colleague returning from "India Bikers' Week" in Goa calls me at 10:00PM telling he is is 11 kms before Sira and wants a good family location for dinner to which my instant answer was Kamat Upachar after Sira Bypass.

On Whatsaspp, I even sent him the location of this restaurant and he called me in the next 2 mins telling he has overshot the distance by 6 kms as the maps is telling him to make a U-Turn to reach Kamat.

I was more than just sure that he was behind Kamat as he said Sira was 11 kms ahead as per signage. So I knew what may have happened and asked him to turn the maps on and move ahead till GPS got oriented in the direction of his travel and immediately he said now the maps mentions that the distance was 3.5 Kms!!

So this was really a case of not only taking that horse near the water but making it drink too. Hence, I know where you are coming from .

Quote:
Once your cross the Doddaballapur railway crossing, you need to get the the main cross road, where you turn left to Doddaballapur. How about that section being covered at night? I think there are sign-guages? But are they enough for one to use?
There are signages which are not adequate I agree and the driver really needs to pay attention to these as you get multiple cross roads and petty intersections. However, Maps come as a big rescue for first timers.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd February 2016 at 08:09.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks