Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2016, 20:51   #6646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Planning a trip to Udupi next weekend, from Bangalore. I drive a Civic.

I need to know:
  1. the "best", shortest route for my car, and
  2. nice restaurants on the way for bio-breaks and coffee

Thanks in advance for your help.
Option 1, Bengaluru nelamangala Hassan Shiradi Gundya BC road Mangalore Udupi.

Restaurant options are, Swathi delicacy, Adigas grand near Kunigal, Mayura at bellur cross, A2B, Kamat in Udayapura. One on the Hassan bypass who's name I don't remember. Oosoor, Surabhi and Mythri at Sakleshpura. Couple of hotels in Nelyadi, Laxmi Vilas, the famous KT coffee at kalladka, BC road has a couple of options, if you get into Mangalore, lot of options. Bittu da dhabha at Mulky. Add a couple of CCD between Kunigal and Hassan.

Option 2, Bengaluru nelamangala Hassan Shiradi Gundya Dharmasthala Belthangady Naravi Karkala Manipal Udupi.

On this route, after the usual one till sakleshpura, you have plenty of small hotels if you are comfortable on the interior roads.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 09:22   #6647
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Option 2, Bengaluru nelamangala Hassan Shiradi Gundya Dharmasthala Belthangady Naravi Karkala Manipal Udupi.
Thanks a lot. Very helpful.

How's the QUALITY of the road in Option # 2 ?
Old 18th March 2016, 12:06   #6648
BHPian

Quote:
Unless you have reasons to visit any of the towns in Option 2, stick to Option 1. Excellent to drive all along. BC Road - Mangalore bypass - Udupi is a breeze to drive.

btw, I will also be driving to Udupi on 24th evening taking Option 1.
Shubbi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 17:05   #6649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
Unless you have reasons to visit any of the towns in Option 2, stick to Option 1. Excellent to drive all along. BC Road - Mangalore bypass - Udupi is a breeze to drive.

btw, I will also be driving to Udupi on 24th evening taking Option 1.
I would always choose the option 2. The roads are less crowded, scenic, spare occasionally for a local vehicle which are driven by maniacs. The roads have been patched up or relaid and one can easily maintain an average of 50kmph on these roads. And if possible get a darshan and prasadam for lunch at Dharmasthala. I did a roundabout trip on my Duke in this route recently taking a 6 1/4 hours identical both sides compared to the earlier 7 hours on the option 1.

On the Mangalore highway, the vehicular traffic after the BC road takes a toll on you. Lot of local traffic and maniac 2 wheel drivers. The Nantoor junction and the Surathkal overbridge are notorious for vehicle jams. With a 100kmph limit on this road, the action has drastically increased. So I now avoid this road. If you are travelling for the first time, you can take this route.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 17:31   #6650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
On the Mangalore highway, the vehicular traffic after the BC road takes a toll on you. Lot of local traffic and maniac 2 wheel drivers. The Nantoor junction and the Surathkal overbridge are notorious for vehicle jams. With a 100kmph limit on this road, the action has drastically increased. So I now avoid this road. If you are travelling for the first time, you can take this route.
Depends on the time you reach these places. I typically drive through these places at 8-ish in the night (with a start time of 2.30-3PM from Bangalore), when its easier to navigate around. No jams ever so far in all my once-in-two-months Bangalore-Udupi drives.

If visiting Dharmasthala, then yes, it is #2.

When Shiradi ghats were not motorable (before the last concretizing episode), my route was Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Charmadi-Belthangady-Guruvayanakere-Venur-Moodabidri-Mulky-Udupi.

I have had couple of horrible experiences on the Belthangady-Naravi-Karkala stretch after which I never dared to try that route and switched over to Venur-Moodabidri-Mulky route.
Shubbi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:57   #6651
BHPian

Hi ,

Any one can confirm if jog falls still has waterfalls in full glory? Heard there was some accident at the hydel plant,hence they were releasing water.

I am in gokarna currently, was wondering if Jog falls can be visited? This has been a long trip Blr-kukke-mlr-bekal-marudeshwar-gokarna
Old 23rd March 2016, 08:26   #6652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Just to scare you a little , during my ride I saw couple of enfield`s with flat tyre. With only one spare tube, we were not in a position to offer them any sort of help even though we had a portable tyre inflator. Provided they had any spare available we could somehow helped them to get to Kudurasthe which is the nearest town from Bisle ghat. Just imagine the situation wherein getting support of any sort is ruled out. With no mobile network connectivity or human trace and nearest town is around 20-25kms away add to that broken roads. All in all one needs to factor out many things while we take this route and definitely its a matter of taking calculated risks and avoid travelling solo.

Talking about your intention of offroading, from the pace of work I am bit skeptical about the work completion before the onset of monsoon. So I feel one can take this trial before they start the work once again.
Yup, I understand the risks involved. The reason that I don't know to replace tube in a flat tyre yet, is why I prefer riding with company. Somehow, a puncture repair kit/spare tube, tools to remove the old tube out and a portable tyre inflator have never made it to the list of items I carry I guess not anymore! I'll definitely add them to my bag before the next ride and hope I'll never have to use them!

Being a relatively new rider(my classic is just 6 months old), I have been learning things in every single ride I have gone, thanks to my friends and the team-bhp forum!

And yes, whether they finish the road or not, Bisle is on cards for this monsoon.
LazyGunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 09:31   #6653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
Depends on the time you reach these places. I typically drive through these places at 8-ish in the night (with a start time of 2.30-3PM from Bangalore), when its easier to navigate around. No jams ever so far in all my once-in-two-months Bangalore-Udupi drives.

If visiting Dharmasthala, then yes, it is #2.
Now it looks like I've to toss a coin between Options #1 and #2 !!

I'm very conservative, averse to taking risks, and this being my first trip on these roads, I guess I'll stick with Option # 1 -- also, I always start early in the morning, around 5:30 AM.

By the way, are there any "recommended" petrol pumps on the way - I didn't see any Shell outlets, where I normally fill while in Bangalore?

Many thanks.
Old 23rd March 2016, 09:36   #6654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, are there any "recommended" petrol pumps on the way - I didn't see any Shell outlets, where I normally fill while in Bangalore?

Many thanks.
No Shell outlets anywhere on this route except few on Tumkur Road itself. But these are located before NICE Exit and hence if you are driving via NICE Road, they may not serve your purpose.

Apart from these, there are quite a few Fuel stations on this route which have been reliable. There are at least 4-6 new stations after 4 laning between Nelemangala - Hassan.

However, going by the usual reviews and experiences (including mine), you can either tank up completely at Bangalore and that should easily last all the way till Udupi considering a range of at least 500 kms in your car.

Else, there is a HPCL station attached to CCD that comes on the left side after the Nelligere toll. There is also an IOCL attached to Kamat and CCD that comes after Channarayapatna Bypass on the right hand side.

Apart from this, BPCL COCO station near Uppinangady on the right hand side is also a good option.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd March 2016 at 09:53.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 09:37   #6655
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Any one can confirm if jog falls still has waterfalls in full glory? Heard there was some accident at the hydel plant,hence they were releasing water.
Due to the accident at Sharavathi unit, the water was being released downstream to reach another power generation station, but there was a report that the Sharavathi unit will be opened on Monday (not sure if it was the Monday this week or next week ?) and then maybe they will stop releasing water.

Source:New Indian Express, Bangalore 21 March - Sharavathi Unit To Resume Generation

Last edited by NPV : 23rd March 2016 at 09:39.
Old 23rd March 2016, 15:45   #6656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning a trip to Udupi next weekend, from Bangalore. I drive a Civic.
Back from a Coastal Drive in my CIVIC.
Total of almost 1100Kms of drive.
Places visited - Kukke, Mangalore,Kateel,Udupi,Anegudde,Kundapura,Murudesh wara,Kollur etc.
All roads are in excellent conditions (Exclude 4 lane road construction from Mangalore - Bhatakal, just some deviation , but in good condition)
Route
Bangalore - Sakleshpura-Gundya-Kukke - Excellent road (freshly tarred between Gundya-Kukke)
Kukke-Kadaba-Alankaru-Uppinangadi-Mangalore - Excellent
Mangalore - Bajpe - Kateel -Mulki - Udupi- Kundapura - Good roads
Kundapura - Marvanthe-Byndoor-Murudeshwara - Bhatkal-Byndoor-Kollur Excellent road (freshly tarred between Byndoor-Kollur)
Kollur-Ampar-Someshwara-Agumbe-Hariharpura-Balehonnur-Aldur-CKM - Excellent road, freshly tarred between Balehonnur-Aldur.

Stay was at Meridian Bay resort Kundapura - Excellent hospitality
Not to forget the Shetty Lunch home - Finger licking Chicken Ghee roast

Believe me, the irritating stretch now is BLR-Hassan Highway with innumerable road humps/Rumbler strips.
sushrutha is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 08:23   #6657
BHPian

News reports are suggesting that SHIRADI GHAT PHASE 2 WORK FROM MONDAY - How true is that?
Apparently, Gadkari is making a visit to kick off the fourlaning of BC-Road to Shiradi as well as a stretch from Sakleshpur to Hassan.
Anyone knows if vehicular traffic will be allowed/diverted?

I have been taking weekly trips, just wonder which part of the Ghat needs repair since most part is in shape!
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 09:48   #6658
BHPian

Got this update via Whatsapp.

Quote:
State PW Department is going to start 2nd phase road repair and asphalting work at Shiradi Ghat from coming Monday (I guess from toady).

Currently, Shiradi Ghat repair work is being undertaken at the cost of Rs 155.18 crore.

Shiradi Ghat that connects Mangaluru with Bengaluru the fourlaning of BC-Road to Shiradi as well as a stretch from Sakleshpur to Hassan. Of the 352 km stretch between the two cities, 180-km is four-laned (till Hassan).

The road has one of the highest vehicular density with 20,000 passenger car units (PCUS) per day. Once the fourlaning is done, time travel will be cut down to 6 hours from the present 8 hours.
Old 28th March 2016, 16:14   #6659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempuguru View Post
Here is the newpaper clip : http://goo.gl/6AamHA

The listed Package 1 & 2 seems long term project. In another news it was mentioned that Shiradi Ghat work will kick off only post Monsoon.
Old 28th March 2016, 20:02   #6660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempuguru View Post

State PW Department is going to start 2nd phase road repair and asphalting work at Shiradi Ghat from coming Monday (I guess from toady).

Currently, Shiradi Ghat repair work is being undertaken at the cost of Rs 155.18 crore.
More investments means more toll booths.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks