Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:28   #6691
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Some options are Yediyur (Swathi Delicacy on right side), Bellur Cross (Mayura), Udayapura (A2B).
Added to NPV

Some options are Yediyur (Swathi Delicacy + Adigas on right side), Bellur Cross (Mayura), Udayapura (A2B).

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And there's Kamat right opposite to Adigas that we easily forget now that we have A2B that also has a CCD attached to an IOCL Station.
Did this come up recently? I have not seen this. (I mean Kamat opposite Adigas. This is at the Markonahalli reservoir exit)

Last edited by ampere : 3rd May 2016 at 10:43.
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:41   #6692
Distinguished - BHPian

And there's Kamat right opposite to Adigas that we easily forget now that we have A2B that also has a CCD attached to an IOCL Station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Added to NPV

Some options are Yediyur (Swathi Delicacy + Adigas on right side), Bellur Cross (Mayura), Udayapura (A2B).

Did this come up recently? I have not seen this. (I mean Kamat opposite Adigas. This is at the Markonahalli reservoir exit)

My bad, I meant Kamat opposite to A2B and Aadyas at Udyapura.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd May 2016 at 10:59. Reason: Back to back posts merged
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 12:07   #6693
BHPian

Quote:
3. Kundapura – Maravanthe – Baindoor: 4 Lane work in progress in bits and pieces. Overall, not a roadblock for your journeys anyway.

Attachment 1502461
What on earth is that mass of concrete doing on the Maravanthe beach highway ?

The pristine land and waterscape of ocean, road and river, mutilated beyond repair.

Last edited by RSUDARSANAN : 4th May 2016 at 12:08.
RSUDARSANAN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 12:10   #6694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
What on earth is that mass of concrete doing on the Maravanthe beach highway ?

The pristine view of ocean, road and river, mutilated beyond repair.
Must be a balcony view for the south bound traffic. It was sort of expected, as the space being narrow they would have come up with this design. Development always comes with some cost!
JMaruru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 10:39   #6695
BHPian

Yesterday while coming from hometown I observed that breaching of dividers is on the rise especially between C R Patna and Kunigal. In some places there is one illegal opening for every 1-3kms, this is serious threat and I am surprised NHAI is not able to counter this. Anyways I have sent a mail with details to Bangalore NHAI division and cced chairman and sec NHAI, hoping to see some action taken.

Till the time NHAI closes these opening I would suggest folks taking this route to be on left lane as much as possible.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 11:40   #6696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Yesterday while coming from hometown I observed that breaching of dividers is on the rise especially between C R Patna and Kunigal. In some places there is one illegal opening for every 1-3kms, this is serious threat and I am surprised NHAI is not able to counter this. Anyways I have sent a mail with details to Bangalore NHAI division and cced chairman and sec NHAI, hoping to see some action taken.

Till the time NHAI closes these opening I would suggest folks taking this route to be on left lane as much as possible.
Not sure if it was due to speedsatya's post on NHAI Website few months before but the officials ensured to inspect the spot right opposite to A2B and closed the median temporarily.

Later, this was fixed permanently.

All this because A2B set shop here and wanted to make it "easy" for folks to make U/right turn here to reach there. What followed next was a series of accidents, regularly and one that was captured by speedsatya himself involving a Swift and a Truck.

He then posted the same on NHAI FB Page and things may have got heated up within and they fixed this.

The other thing I have noticed from my return last Saturday from Belur is the deteriorating condition of Kunigal Bypass (towards Bangalore) with the undulations becoming more and more prominent despite of the thick dark patchwork that itself has sunk down.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 13:06   #6697
BHPian

Quote:
The other thing I have noticed from my return last Saturday from Belur is the deteriorating condition of Kunigal Bypass (towards Bangalore) with the undulations becoming more and more prominent despite of the thick dark patchwork that itself has sunk down.
Yeah this stretch is more like bouncy track which tests our car`s suspension and add to that if one is doing a high speeds at these corners which has some thick patchwork there is all probability that he might loose control.

Talking about the breaching of dividers, some of the breaches are in the places where is a road connected to the highway. So looks like these are the work of local miscreants to facilitate the crossing. For saving some bucks they are endangering themselves and also the fellow motorists. NHAI may close these openings upon inspection but public should also understand their responsibility towards safety.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 12:39   #6698
BHPian

Took NH 48 yesterday on a ride to Somwarpet and as suggested on this and related thread, went off the main highway at Channarayanapatna and took SH 8 to Holenarsipura. Could not find the enchanting SH 121/102 that some members had written about to avoid a 2 km bad stretch between C'patna and H'narsipura, but there was freshly laid tarmac instead of the bad stretch. Took the first left after the bus stand at C'patna to head towards H'Narsipura

Good roads throughout till Somwarpet and agree with comments above on the bumpy tarmac at Kunigal cross
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:03   #6699
BHPian

Completed a relaxed drive from Bangalore to Moodbidri and back this weekend. Started from Bangalore on 20th at 5 AM and reached my destination by 11:30 AM with a 30 min breakfast break at A2B. Started back on 22nd at about 9:15 AM and reached home by 4:15 PM with a 45 min lunch break at A2B. Traffic was quite heavy though, being a Sunday.
Roads are good throughout except for the uneven stretch between CR Patna and Nelamangala as mentioned above. Road after gundya is almost completely relaid and in very good condition. Hope it stays the same after the upcoming monsoon
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:28   #6700
Senior - BHPian

Gents ,I will traveling to Udupi on Wednesday for a vacation and was looking for the best route to reach there ?

Its been a real long time since I have done the Hassan --Chennarayapatna -- Mangalore --Udupi route. My usual travel route was always via Theertahalli-- Agumbe-- Hebri and then Kundapur.

This time around I decided to skip Theertahalli--Kundapur and stay at Udupi. Do let know whats the best route.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 23rd May 2016 at 13:30.
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:40   #6701
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Gents ,I will traveling to Udupi on Wednesday for a vacation and was looking for the best route to reach there ?

Its been a real long time since I have done the Hassan --Chennarayapatna -- Mangalore --Udupi route. My usual travel route was always via Theertahalli-- Agumbe-- Hebri and then Kundapur.
I think the best options are the Shimoga-Tirthahalli route and the Hassan-Sakleshpur-Mangalore route. Tirthahalli route may be about 50-60Km longer and given that you want to skip that, makes sense to take Mangalore route.
Roads are in good condition now but I would suggest an early start between 4-5 am.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:47   #6702
Senior - BHPian

Planning a drive from Manipal to Bangalore on 26th and back on 28th, via the regular Hassan route. We (+wife, son, dad) plan to leave around 9:00 - 9:30. Leaving earlier is not possible. Speeds will be 80-85 kmph as I want test the maximum mileage of my Aspire. Where can I expect to be around lunch time? And what are my options?

When can I hope to reach Cox Town.
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:59   #6703
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
We (+wife, son, dad) plan to leave around 9:00 - 9:30. Leaving earlier is not possible. Speeds will be 80-85 kmph as I want test the maximum mileage of my Aspire. Where can I expect to be around lunch time? And what are my options?

I think you can expect to reach around the halfway mark of 200-250Km by 12:30-1pm which would be somewhere between Hassan-Channarayapatna. I don't have too much of an idea about hotels inside Hassan but I think A2B or Kamat near Udayapura are good options and these are just beside the highway.
After that, there are several hotels on the highway at Bellur Cross and near Yediyur but those are much more closer (100Km) to Bangalore.

You should be able to reach Bangalore near Yeshwanthpur by around 4pm I think. After that you will hit city traffic between IISC, Mekhri circle, Nandidurga Road and Coles Road before you reach Cox Town so give it about an hour at least.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd May 2016 at 14:01.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:14   #6704
BHPian

Quote:

This time around I decided to skip Theertahalli--Kundapur and stay at Udupi. Do let know whats the best route.
Recently i did both the routes mentioned by you and I suggest to take the route via Hassan.
What I felt, is the road via Tumkur - Shimogga being old styled highway without the lane separators and with innumerous speed breakers , adds the additional stress to your driving and takes more time compared to the other route though shorter in distance. Also between Theerthalli and Agumbe, you will get many culverts which were built recently and over them the road was not yet tarred, requiring frequent downshifts
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:28   #6705
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Planning a drive from Manipal to Bangalore on 26th and back on 28th, via the regular Hassan route. We (+wife, son, dad) plan to leave around 9:00 - 9:30. Leaving earlier is not possible. Speeds will be 80-85 kmph as I want test the maximum mileage of my Aspire. Where can I expect to be around lunch time? And what are my options?

I did the route yesterday, so I have the freshest experience. Your realistic lunch place would be Sakleshpur at around 1pm. Many options there starting from Surabhi Nxt, Durga International (Madhuvan Veg), Gandharv, Mythri, etc.

Quote:
You can either do Hassan-Shiradi-Mangalore-Udupi or Hassan-Shiradi-Dharmastala-Karkala-Udupi. The distance is almost same, the former is faster and has more 4-lanes and tolls, the latter is slower and has more curves.

Either way, the only place where you will encounter pot holes is Bangalore.

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd May 2016 at 17:35.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks