Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2016, 08:52   #6721
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I just dread to think what it will be driving this route when its dark.
Exactly what I might have to do this Friday. Have to drive down to Udupi for my father-in-law's surgery and due to work related pressure, I might not be able to leave home before 2PM.

If I take the Shiradi ghat route, I won't reach Sakleshpur till around 6PM. After that, it's going to be dark through the entire ghat stretch.

I'll have to manage dinner also somewhere along the way.

I'm thinking of taking Shiradi ghat but posts like this are making me consider Charmadi. Especially because of paragsachania's post above.

What do you guys suggest? I've driven multiple times through Shiradi and quite enjoy the drive apart from having to drive in the dark this time.
Old 1st June 2016, 09:01   #6722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post

I'm thinking of taking Shiradi ghat but posts like this are making me consider Charmadi. Especially because of paragsachania's post above.

What do you guys suggest? I've driven multiple times through Shiradi and quite enjoy the drive apart from having to drive in the dark this time.
Still consider Shiradi only. There is simply no point taking Charmadi when you are leaving from Bangalore around 3 or 4PM.

Charmadi under total darkness unless you are very experienced with that road is not am easy one due to 11 Hair pins and lots and lot of curves. Of course, traffic on this will be the least you can think of till Udupi but then, on a Friday late evening Sakleshpur Mangalore Udupi would be bliss too with very moderate traffic.

You only don't make it so late that you end up confronting all Bangalore bound buses which leave Mangalore post 9/10pm.

So just stick to Shiradi as you will never enjoy Charmadi (and it's views) at nights. May be you can plan your return through Charmadi.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 09:04   #6723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly what I might have to do this Friday. Have to drive down to Udupi for my father-in-law's surgery and due to work related pressure, I might not be able to leave home before 2PM.

If I take the Shiradi ghat route, I won't reach Sakleshpur till around 6PM. After that, it's going to be dark through the entire ghat stretch.

I'll have to manage dinner also somewhere along the way.

Honestly I wouldn't think of doing the sakleshpur route after dawn. The sheer number of morons driving along this route simply is a deterrent for me to never try night driving unless absolutely necessary. But then that's just me and I think there is no harm in doing the route as such as long as you take it easy. Maybe I am being paranoid having done this route after a long gap of 8-10 years.

I usually would take the agumbe--hebri-manipal route on my journeys to coastal Karnataka.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 09:57   #6724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Still consider Shiradi only. There is simply no point taking Charmadi when you are leaving from Bangalore around 3 or 4PM.
Quote:
Honestly I wouldn't think of doing the sakleshpur route after dawn. The sheer number of morons driving along this route simply is a deterrent for me to never try night driving unless absolutely necessary.
Right, it is kind of absolutely necessary for me to be in Udupi by 9/10 PM on Friday. Guess I will take the Shiradi route and be cautious based on your vote of confidence.

Thanks!
Old 1st June 2016, 12:38   #6725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Right, it is kind of absolutely necessary for me to be in Udupi by 9/10 PM on Friday. Guess I will take the Shiradi route and be cautious based on your vote of confidence.

Thanks!
No need to worry at all if you pass this on a normal day/evening before the buses leave from Mangalore.

I drove to Mangalore twice last month and the first one was with a 7pm departure from Nelamangala and lot of slow driving and breaks that we ended up meeting these oncoming buses right in the ghats. They don't want to lose momentum and at curves that fishtailing almost swipes you as they pass.

Roads are fantastic and traffic for your day will be lesser.

In contrast, when I left for Mangalore the second time, it was a Saturday morning and I just hated the way people drove in the ghats which you wont encounter anyway .

Have a good trip.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 16:57   #6726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You can either do Hassan-Shiradi-Mangalore-Udupi or Hassan-Shiradi-Dharmastala-Karkala-Udupi. The distance is almost same, the former is faster and has more 4-lanes and tolls, the latter is slower and has more curves.
I take this variation of the second route -> Hassan-Shiradi-Dharmasthala-Guruvayanakere-Venur-Moodabidri-Kinnigoli-Mulky-Udupi. Comfort of easier drive between Mulky to Udupi makes me go here, and avoid Karkala-Hiriyadka-Udupi stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
There was a toll booth coming up near Koteshwar. Don't have an idea if toll collection has started.
The toll booth is at Sasthana, around 15KMs away from Koteshwara and not yet operational.

Quote:
This is the same canteen that earliest existed inside Kunigal town next to the Police Station & Opposite to Govt. School.

On Popular demand and the fact that the bypass became operational, he moved it to this location: <Sree Siddalingeshwara Cafe>
Does this place only open at certain time in the evening? I have been wanting to try this place for sometime, but at least the 3 times that I checked, the shutters were down between 4-4.30PM.

Quote:
EDIT: Missed certain recommendations near Mudigere. You get plenty of Coffee Shops right from Kottigehara till Mudigere Hand post (Around 15 kms) on both sides. The one that we stopped for lunch now serves proper South Indian meals as well. They have hygienic rest rooms which are well maintained.
Which exactly was this place? After looking out all the way from Charmadi ghat without much success, we finally had ended up stopping at Hotel Vishnu, near Belur bus stand. Would like to know few more options.

Quote:
Charmadi under total darkness unless you are very experienced with that road is not am easy one due to 11 Hair pins and lots and lot of curves. Of course, traffic on this will be the least you can think of till Udupi but then, on a Friday late evening Sakleshpur Mangalore Udupi would be bliss too with very moderate traffic.
Plus, you would encounter quite many govt buses starting from Dharmasthala bound to Chikmagalur & beyond after 6PM in Charmadi ghats. They hate loosing their upward momentum (unless absolutely necessary, which is understandable), so it doesn't leave you with any option but to downshift and make way since the roads are not as wide as Shiradi. Charmadi is more enjoyable during day time for its sheer views.

Quote:
I do a similar schedule on most of my drives. Start from HSR layout after 2PM -> reach Udupi by 10PM, via Hassan, Mangalore. You encounter many rogue drivers in the ghats, but as long as you know what to expect and are prepared, you should be pretty fine. I am not sure if others agree, but the number of these moronic drivers reduces sharply after the turn towards Dharmasthala.
Old 3rd June 2016, 19:56   #6727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
Plus, you would encounter quite many govt buses starting from Dharmasthala bound to Chikmagalur & beyond after 6PM in Charmadi ghats.
Good point !

Well, as it turned out, the in-laws decided, at the last moment, to come down to Bangalore and seek medical care here. I was two hours away from starting from here and I got a phone call to cancel !

Anyway, I'll keep in mind what you all have suggested for my next drive to Udupi whenever that happens.
Sangre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 11:24   #6728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What beats my goat is the sheer number of moronic and suicidal drivers along this stretch. One clown almost t-boned me at the Dharmasthala deviation while he was joining the highway.

A few kms into the ghats and there was a new class of nincompoops. Suicidal overtaking maneuvers !!! Damn these fools were overtaking trucks and buses on blind left curves like there was no tomorrow. Quite a few close calls too. Phew !!

I just dread to think what it will be driving this route when its dark.
I met a fair share of these morons, overtaking on blind turns. And it seems like age and class is no bar for idiocy. There was a dilapidated Omni driven by a young fellow and another Landrover driven by an aged "gentleman" that I had to avoid being crashed into. And an Innova taxi that was being driven as if there was no oncoming traffic - even taxis seem to have lost their mind.

Finally, at the same Dharmastala junction a KSRTC bus just came onto highway from the left despite my flashing and honking, and I lost my cool. I blocked his way and stopped for 5 minutes. Then better sense prevailed and I backed up and drove away. It was a stupid thing to do, but my patience was drained by then.
Old 5th June 2016, 22:19   #6729
Senior - BHPian

The new stretch between Udupi and Mangalore is almost complete.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20160524_201248.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20160525_014631_richtonehdr.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20160525_013901_richtonehdr.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20160524_201632_richtonehdr.jpg

It's such a beautiful road now with reflectors at curves, junctions and all strategic points. Perfect for night driving. Wish all Highways were like this.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th June 2016 at 22:25. Reason: Rotated image and uploaded.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2016, 22:22   #6730
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
It's such a beautiful road now with reflectors at curves, junctions and all strategic points. Perfect for night driving. Wish all Highways were like this.
Not so quick. Don't forget Padubidri, and their traffic control cops. They can undo all the advantages of the 4-lane highway by delaying you by 20-30 minutes.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 07:25   #6731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Too premature to say so. Honestly the authorities should have simply constructed flyovers along these small towns. Ever noticed the junction where you branch off into the Udupi town/bus stand ? The deviation is at a curve and I hardly noticed anyone waiting for oncoming traffic to pass.

Their expectation was that traffic along the highway should stop for them .
Old 6th June 2016, 07:29   #6732
BHPian

Quote:
Not so quick. Don't forget Padubidri, and their traffic control cops. They can undo all the advantages of the 4-lane highway by delaying you by 20-30 minutes.

I second this vehemently as I was a victim myself when I visited Udupi during May 16. And getting into the town from Kochi-Panvel Highway is a bit tricky nowadays for not so frequent travelers like me.
Old 6th June 2016, 09:49   #6733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not so quick. Don't forget Padubidri, and their traffic control cops
That's why I said almost.

But work has started in full earnest again at Padubidri. They have begun the tree cutting and are slowly working their way towards the town.

Quote:
Too premature to say so. Honestly the authorities should have simply constructed flyovers along these small towns. Ever noticed the junction where you branch off into the Udupi town/bus stand ? The deviation is at a curve and I hardly noticed anyone waiting for oncoming traffic to pass.

Their expectation was that traffic along the highway should stop for them .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
I second this vehemently as I was a victim myself when I visited Udupi during May 16. And getting into the town from Kochi-Panvel Highway is a bit tricky nowadays for not so frequent travelers like me.
That deviation will be closed off once the flyover at Karavali junction (about 1 km or so away) is completed. Maybe a month more. New service roads are also being made to enter Udupi through the old entrance - Swagatha Gopura.

The only problem spot that will remain is the Ambalpady junction that's right after the current deviation - the plan is to install a traffic signal here, after local protests objected to the divider being closed off.
Old 6th June 2016, 10:08   #6734
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The only problem spot that will remain is the Ambalpady junction that's right after the current deviation - the plan is to install a traffic signal here, after local protests objected to the divider being closed off.
Will they finally keep it open? That is a major junction, they should have given an overpass or underpass.
Old 6th June 2016, 17:38   #6735
BHPian

Quote:

More than the traffic control cops its the Barricades kept at regular intervals which are more disturbing.

These sudden chicanes are quite a surprise for the not so regulars on this road.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed