Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2016, 19:18   #6736
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Will they finally keep it open? That is a major junction, they should have given an overpass or underpass.
That was the demand by the protestors. But I think a rule concerning the minimum distance between 2 flyovers overrules the overpass option.
Old 10th June 2016, 07:14   #6737
Distinguished - BHPian

Any updates on the road conditions between Chikmagalur - Sringeri? Planning to drive down tomorrow. I had driven here in March and roads were excellent. Any idea how heavy the rains are right now?
Old 10th June 2016, 08:00   #6738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Any updates on the road conditions between Chikmagalur - Sringeri? Planning to drive down tomorrow. I had driven here in March and roads were excellent. Any idea how heavy the rains are right now?
March till now can never cause a drastic change this side of the state when the road is not a typical highway marred with trucks and other heavy vehicles. The roads were good when I drove last month and rest assured, they will remain good even today as the recent rains haven't been regular but only occasional spells.

Have a safe drive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
6. Sringeri – Jayapura – Balehonnur – Aldur: Again, cleanest of roads in the recent past with a lot of sections completely re-asphalted. There is no single stretch that you may want to refer as bad or even “OK”. Its brilliant all throughout.

7. Balehonnur – Aldur – Chikmagalur: Stays good as before and no bad patches here as well
Quote:
Bottom Line: If you are headed for Sringeri, the default route should now be Bangalore- Hassan – Chikmagalur – Aldur - Balehonnur – Jayapura – Sringeri. The route is 100% clean.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 08:12   #6739
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bottom Line: If you are headed for Sringeri, the default route should now be Bangalore- Hassan – Chikmagalur – Aldur - Balehonnur – Jayapura – Sringeri. The route is 100% clean.
And I must add: A mandatory halt at Bhadra Coffee Stop!

Cross Posting the Image

Imagine the place in rains!
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 08:31   #6740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes, a lovely stop for some authentic coffee. We didn't stop here last time but we did pull over a little ahead at another coffee shop and the coffee served here was indeed authentic & aromatic and in those cutlery cups Good on quantity!

Off late, there are too many of these that have mushroomed all over here. A few like these remain good for years while the rest either shut shops or change owners/management.

Quote:
Am sure the last few days here have been welcoming the monsoons and this weekend too would be awesome to be there.

OT: This is another beautiful location that also serves equally awesome Coffee with lovely snacks just before Mallandur. A must visit if you are in Chikmagalur even if you aren't staying anywhere here as it is only a 30 minute drive from the town center.

The Estate Cafe
Old 10th June 2016, 09:01   #6741
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The roads were good when I drove last month and rest assured, they will remain good even today as the recent rains haven't been regular but only occasional spells.
Travelling with extended family & hence a quick check before I set expectations at home

Quote:
aldur - balehonnur stretch has always been my favorite and this will be the first time I drive there during the rains. Cant wait to soak in beauty of the place.

Parag - Thanks for the heads up regarding Estate cafe. I will be staying in Chikmagalur town at a friends place. Will try and visit Estate cafe sunday morning as it looks to be a 30 min drive from where I will be staying. How is the road from chikmagalur to estate cafe?

Last edited by procrj : 10th June 2016 at 09:05.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 09:17   #6742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How is the road from chikmagalur to estate cafe?
One word - Excellent! Road all the way to Estate Cafe. You need to take the Mallandur Road from Chikmagalur and this is located almost 1 km before Mallandur on a left handed curve.

Difficult to miss as you will notice good signage and few parked cars on the opposite side of this road (if its a weekend). The road itself will be a delightful experience.

EDIT: They make some good French Fries and Onion Pakodas. Try them out with coffee

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th June 2016 at 09:18.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 19:02   #6743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Roads remain butter smooth and the early morning ride to sringeri was calm, quiet & peaceful. The return journey was a completely different experience .

Accuweather predicted rain starting 1 pm and at 12 noon, I watched dark monsoon clouds roll in from the south. We were on the road by 1.20 pm and just outside sringeri we ran into torrential downpour which lasted till jayapura. Post that is was beautiful weather with the clouds play hide & seek in the mountains. Man, machine & wanderlust were all in sync and the drive back to chikmagalur was absolutely gorgeous.

Quote:
Coffee was the perfect drink given the weather and the atmosphere. I spent close to half an hour here just walking around and sipping my coffee. Did not remember to take out my mobile and click a few pics, the setting was just perfect.

Quote:
Am sure the last few days here have been welcoming the monsoons and this weekend too would be awesome to be there.
I think its just getting started Everything is a lush wet green and some sections of the road between jayapura & sringeri are so dark that you wonder if you need to switch on your headlights at 2 pm
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 10:30   #6744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One word - Excellent! Road all the way to Estate Cafe.
Morning coffee drive to Estate cafe was brilliant. Added to my list of good drive routes

Estate cafe
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-drive2.jpg

Dwarfed by the hills
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-drive1.jpg

Parag - Maps shows that this road connects to Balehonnur - have you driven all the way upto balehonnur on this road. I guess you will pass through sections of bhadra wildlife reserve on this route. Was tempted to drive further but other commitments did not allow me to do so. Will someday explore more of this route.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 09:45   #6745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Parag - Maps shows that this road connects to Balehonnur - have you driven all the way upto balehonnur on this road.
Not in the recent past but during my college days, we have rode ahead quite a distance ahead.

Quote:
I guess you will pass through sections of bhadra wildlife reserve on this route.
You do and few homestays here actually take you for a Jeep Ride at night to do some wildlife spotting - Mostly wild boars & cattles!

Quote:
Was tempted to drive further but other commitments did not allow me to do so. Will someday explore more of this route.
Somehow, I simply missed mentioning about this place that locals refer to as "shooting point" as many Kannada movie scenes are shot here. This was only 3-4 kms ahead of Estate Cafe at Mallandur.

The pics below should give you enough reasons:
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-11692766_10153203813664998_3220264185704649171_n.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-10369230_10153203835404998_3342318170951149132_n.jpg

Next time, add this to your list too
Old 13th June 2016, 18:43   #6746
BHPian

Quick write-up on my weekend Bangalore-Udupi-Bangalore drive -

Started from HSR layout on Thursday, 4.15 PM in my Swift VDi. Headed southeast to Electronic City to get onto Nice road. Exited onto Magadi road, and joined NH48 before Kunigal. With couple of 10 mins breaks, reached Udupi at 11.45 PM via Hassan, Mangalore. Odo did not exceed 110 KMPH any time. Rains accompanied all the way from Ballupet to Kapu. What great sights those rains bring along

On the return journey - started from Udupi on Sunday at 5.30 PM, with dinner break (hot Akki rottis) at Hotel Mythri, Sakleshpur, reached HSR layout at 1.15 AM.

While I largely managed to stay on the road all along during the onward drive, while coming back, had to get off the road couple of times to make way for a slow moving truck to overtake a slower moving truck.

Shiradi ghat just after Gundya now has couple of pot holes, which when filled with water, are good enough to rattle every nook and corner of the car. I dived into one that I didn't see due to an oncoming vehicle's glare. Tarmac on a few small bridges is also wearing thin - either they never were tarred or it was a shoddy work.

Surprisingly toll booths were far less crowded with not more than 3-4 mins waiting time at any of them.
Old 16th June 2016, 12:03   #6747
Senior - BHPian

Hi
Do you know good places to stay in Udupi? I may travel soon from Bangalore.
Regards,
Rajiv
Old 16th June 2016, 12:26   #6748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Hi
Regards,
Rajiv
You could check out 'Hotel Kediyoor' near bus stand. If on the highway, 'Karavali' is quite prominent.
Old 16th June 2016, 13:12   #6749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
You could check out 'Hotel Kediyoor' near bus stand. If on the highway, 'Karavali' is quite prominent.
Karavali is closed out now. Try Sharada International on the opposite side of the highway (if you prefer highway). Otherwise Kidiyoor, at the heart of the city, is the best bet.
Old 16th June 2016, 13:19   #6750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Hi
Regards,
Rajiv
What is your budget? For 1500-2000 something, you have a lot of options, including Kediyoor, Sriram Residency, Udupi Residency, Diana, Ramakrishna, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Karavali has been shutdown by the banks - almost a year now. But there's Sharada International on the highway, a little ahead of Karavali.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks