Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2016, 22:32   #6901
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
For quite sometime, I have been stopping at Suruchi at Kadur and the food(pure veg) is decent over there with clean washrooms. This falls just after crossing the Kadur town while driving toward Bangalore.
+1. I stopped here earlier this week. Food was decent and the restrooms were clean. This was a much needed addition to the BH road which had a severe shortage of family restaurants with clean restrooms between Tumakuru and Shivamogga.

I also happened to see another newish restaurant in Kadur, 'Sri Vinayaka Cafe' which is located after Masala Suruchi when travelling in the direction of Shivamogga.
Haven't tried it but appears decent from outside and Google maps has good reviews of it.
Old 17th October 2016, 22:12   #6902
BHPian

What is the best route to Kadmane(Sakleshpur) from Bangalore..?
Kindly advice.

Regards
Old 18th October 2016, 07:40   #6903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot View Post
What is the best route to Kadmane(Sakleshpur) from Bangalore..?
Kindly advice.

Regards
Bangalore Hassan Sakaleshpur Anemahal (where you get off NH) Hanbal Kadumane. Stick to this simple and straightforward route.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 08:00   #6904
BHPian

{No need to go all the way to Hanbal. From the Anemahal turnoff, drive approximately 7km & take left. You can see a signage for Megha homestay here.
chandan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 09:26   #6905
Senior - BHPian

Folks

My friend will be travelling to Kundapura this Saturday from Bangalore by car. He intends to leave by 5 PM.
Can you suggest the best route. Is it fine if he leaves by 5 PM or should he prepone the timings bit earlier?
Old 18th October 2016, 09:43   #6906
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

My friend will be travelling to Kundapura this Saturday from Bangalore by car. He intends to leave by 5 PM.
Can you suggest the best route. Is it fine if he leaves by 5 PM or should he prepone the timings bit earlier?
4 Choices here:
  1. Bangalore - Hassan - Chikmagalur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Koteshwar - Kundapura (Twisty all the way after Chikmagalur)
  2. Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi - Gundya - Dharmasthala - Ujire - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Karkala - Nitte - Belman - Udupi - Kundapura (Faster sections even in Ghats)
  3. Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi - Ujire - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Karkala - Belman - Udupi - Kundapura (Twisty again but an alternate to route no 2)
  4. Bangalore - Kunigal - Channarayapatna - Shivamogga - Hosanagara - Hulikal - Kundapura (Also the fastest in terms of roads but similar times)

For a first timer, I would stick to route No 2. Regular traffic, Regular towns to stop over for unplanned breaks and no surprises for a first timer (on this route). The 1st and 3rd route will have slower progress.
Old 18th October 2016, 10:09   #6907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
4 Choices here:
  1. Bangalore - Hassan - Chikmagalur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Koteshwar - Kundapura (Twisty all the way after Chikmagalur)
  2. Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi - Gundya - Dharmasthala - Ujire - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Karkala - Nitte - Belman - Udupi - Kundapura (Faster sections even in Ghats)
  3. Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi - Ujire - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Karkala - Belman - Udupi - Kundapura (Twisty again but an alternate to route no 2)
  4. Bangalore - Kunigal - Channarayapatna - Shivamogga - Hosanagara - Hulikal - Kundapura (Also the fastest in terms of roads but similar times)

For a first timer, I would stick to route No 2. Regular traffic, Regular towns to stop over for unplanned breaks and no surprises for a first timer (on this route). The 1st and 3rd route will have slower progress.
If my friend takes Option 2 as suggested by you, what time should he leave Bangalore and what will be the journey time. Any good places to break for tiffin/dinner enroute ?
Old 18th October 2016, 10:23   #6908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If my friend takes Option 2 as suggested by you, what time should he leave Bangalore and what will be the journey time. Any good places to break for tiffin/dinner enroute ?
He can anytime between 0500-0600. Ideal options for Breakfast will be the following options:

The Journey time will be anywhere between 8-9 Hours end to end with usual highway cruising speeds of 90-100 KMPH and all the breaks.

There will be 3 Cafe' Coffee Days within the first 150 kms that I have excluded for obvious reasons.

He can also bank upon the same places for dinner from the above list.
Old 18th October 2016, 13:16   #6909
BHPian

Quote:
If my friend takes Option 2 as suggested by you, what time should he leave Bangalore and what will be the journey time?
Just an fyi, that the sections of the Shiradi ghat, post the concreted surfaces (towards Mangalore), has gone very bad, and requires driving with patience

Also, unsure of the early morning drive, but the section between Hassan and Sakleshpur, and the initial few kms of the ghat section is ridden with dense fog. Please suggest him to take caution while driving, if in fog (it's the thickest fog atleast I have come across, in the last few years).
Old 18th October 2016, 13:22   #6910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Just an fyi, that the sections of the Shiradi ghat, post the concreted surfaces (towards Mangalore), has gone very bad, and requires driving with patience
Factored that and last few pages only talk about deteriorating condition of Shiradi Ghats.

The other options are good too including its closer competition "Charmadi" which only has patchy/rough surfaces around the 11 Hair Pin curves and not all of them are that bad.

The entire video of how Charmadi Ghat is still holding good can be seen here on this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4071360

There won't be escaping from fog on both these ghats as you can notice that even Charmadi was foggy at the end in the night but again when I compare Charmadi to Shiradi and the fog, Shiradi any day is better in terms of driveability under such conditions while Charmadi still retains the tag when it comes to denser fog in comparison.

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th October 2016 at 13:25.
Old 18th October 2016, 14:47   #6911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He intends to leave by 5 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
He can anytime between 0500-0600.
Paragbhai, he said 5-00 pm not 5-00 am.

What would the options be for snacks and dinner if it's 5-00 pm
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 14:50   #6912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Paragbhai, he said 5-00 pm not 5-00 am.

What would the options be for snacks and dinner if it's 5-00 pm
Oops I missed it but Won't that still hold Good Sam . I have given approximate distance and the hours.

With 5PM Departure from Bangalore I am sure A2B or Sakleshpur will hold good for Dinner.

With slight detour into the city, Hassan as well.
Old 18th October 2016, 19:43   #6913
BHPian

Thanks Parag and Chandan!
Anybody aware of this place : http://www.sinnadorai.com/kadamne-experience.aspx?q=3

Tried to google for some good places, looks interesting on website and some reviews too. Any suggestion for family stay with a 5 year kid @Sakleshpur..?
Old 18th October 2016, 22:12   #6914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot View Post
Anybody aware of this place
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...akleshpur.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-kadamane.html

These 2 Travelogues by BHPians should answer most of your questions.
Old 18th October 2016, 23:19   #6915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
As per news published in online portal, Shiradi ghat will be closed for traffic starting October 15th. http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=417390
Is the ghat closed already?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks