Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2016, 11:08   #6946
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Afterwards its all stressful. People won't let you drive in peace even on left or middle lane at 80km. Some take thrill at tailgating, Constant honking, what not. It usually happen when cluster of cars starts racing at each other and somehow they find me not want to racing with them, shessh!. Madness at rumble strips in many places is not worth writing about.
This is one reason why I hate to drive on most of our highways. You try maintaining a decent gap between you and the guy in front and someone _has_ to come and fill in the gap. And as you say, madness at all levels wanting to overtake. Once I overtook a vehicle and was joining again onto the same side when another car squeezed into this gap.

This is also the reason why I prefer the Kanakapura-Kollegala road when going towards Wynad or Munnar and avoid the Mysore Road or Coimbatore road.
Old 7th November 2016, 18:52   #6947
Distinguished - BHPian

I will be traveling to Kalasa/Kudremukh this week. Wanted to check the road conditions between Hassan - Belur, Belur to Kottigehara, Kottigehara to Kalasa.

Route link

How about the Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehole - Kalasa?

Will be doing a night journey. The last drive in March had some very bad roads between Mudigere to Belur. In simple words it was horrible with deep potholes and very dusty.

Any leads on this will be really helpful.
Old 7th November 2016, 19:04   #6948
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I will be traveling to Kalasa/Kudremukh this week. Wanted to check the road conditions between Hassan - Belur, Belur to Kottigehara, Kottigehara to Kalasa.

Route link

How about the Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehole - Kalasa?

Will be doing a night journey. The last drive in March had some very bad roads between Mudigere to Belur. In simple words it was horrible with deep potholes and very dusty.

Any leads on this will be really helpful.
Krishna, You can refer to my detailed trip report, less than a month (or exactly a month now) old where I drove to Kuduremukha here on this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4070830

You mention bad roads between Mudigere and Belur in March? Was that Mudigere - Gendehalli - Belur or Mudigere - Jannapura - Cheeknahalli - Belur.

Since you also mention "Huge Potholes and Dusty" I am getting a good hint that you were indeed taking the route via Gendehalli that March.

If it was the former, it was in bad shape at few sections but the latter (one via Jannapura) has been in the same state (That is good) since more than 2 years now despite battering rains and sunshine.

Overall, you should stick to Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Javali- Kalasa - Kudiremukha Route. The road conditions are good indeed.

If you would want to know section wise, here it is:
  • Belur - Mudigere - Kalasa : Fully Good
  • Kalasa - Javali : Fully good
  • Javali - Kelagur - Kalasa : Mixed bag, but very small bad patches
  • Kalasa - Kuduremukha: Good

The same post that I have referred will give you all details you want in terms of timings as well.

I think you can simply stick to the usual Mudigere - Kottigehara route for Kalasa.

I have complete Dashcam recording of the entire Belur - Kalasa and beyond that if you are wanting to know about any specific section, I can upload it here .

Also - You can experiment with Belur - Gendehalli - Mudigere, its repaired now except 2 kms before Gendehalli which is still having few potholes: Same time taken but then you need to enter and exit Mudigere town and drive out 3 kms to "Handpost" where road from Belur merges. With the other "Preferred" route to Mudigere from Belur via Jannapura, you don't even touch Mudigere and pass it from a distance.

But I see no reason other than just experimenting as I had taken the same during this trip (from the post referred) and next time I took the usual Jannapura Road.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th November 2016 at 19:08.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 19:29   #6949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Krishna, You can refer to my detailed trip report, less than a month (or exactly a month now) old where I drove to Kuduremukha here on this post:
Great, this route looks apt.

Quote:
You mention bad roads between Mudigere and Belur in March? Was that Mudigere - Gendehalli - Belur or Mudigere - Jannapura - Cheeknahalli - Belur.

Since you also mention "Huge Potholes and Dusty" I am getting a good hint that you were indeed taking the route via Gendehalli that March.
No, this was via JannaPura - NH73 only. There was a couple of small bridges also were being repaired. I believe the have asphalted the road post these repairs.

Replies in bold.

Quote:
If you would want to know section wise, here it is:
  • Belur - Mudigere - Kalasa : Fully Good - I guess you meant Kottigehara here
  • Kalasa - Javali : Fully good - This is brilliant for some corner craving. At night literally no traffic at all
  • Javali - Kelagur - Kalasa : Mixed bag, but very small bad patches - More than the potholes here, its pretty bumpy. Spoils the fun in the corners
  • Kalasa - Kuduremukha: Good - This has been that way for as far as I can remember.

The same post that I have referred will give you all details you want in terms of timings as well.

I think you can simply stick to the usual Mudigere - Kottigehara route for Kalasa.

I have complete Dashcam recording of the entire Belur - Kalasa and beyond that if you are wanting to know about any specific section, I can upload it here .
Nah, I will take your word

Quote:
Also - You can experiment with Belur - Gendehalli - Mudigere, its repaired now except 2 kms before Gendehalli which is still having few potholes: Same time taken but then you need to enter and exit Mudigere town and drive out 3 kms to "Handpost" where road from Belur merges. With the other "Preferred" route to Mudigere from Belur via Jannapura, you don't even touch Mudigere and pass it from a distance.
Not intending any experiments this time. Mudigere town would be around 3 kms from the bypass/Y junction.

I plan to leave around 11-11.30 pm and reach Kudremukh by 6.30/ 7 am.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 19:41   #6950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
No, this was via JannaPura - NH73 only. There was a couple of small bridges also were being repaired. I believe the have asphalted the road post these repairs.
One soon after Gonibeedu is still bad. The joints are exposed and the experience is not so great when passing them at usual speeds.

And yes, I did refer to Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara (and not Kalasa) in my earlier response. Was a typo as the next bullet refers to the road conditions after Kalasa.

The section between Kalasa - Kuduremukha, especially Kalasa - Samse was bad last year around same time with huge to very huge potholes. So to say that Kuduremukha - Kalasa section has indeed undergone repairs in the last few months for sure.
Old 8th November 2016, 04:59   #6951
BHPian

Quote:
[*]With a 0200 PM start, a short break for mandatory neer dose at Kottigehara for 20 minutes
What is the name of this place? I see this in most of your trip reports. I would love to try out some neer dose in my next trip.
Old 8th November 2016, 10:12   #6952
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
What is the name of this place? I see this in most of your trip reports. I would love to try out some neer dose in my next trip.
The name of the Place is "Kottigehara" and a promiment junction where one decides to either head towards Kalasa-Horanadu (Right) or to Dharmasthala (Straight).

Right at this place, you have plenty of petty hotels (at least 15), all serving Neer Dosa and Hot Bajjis.

A month back I had it one place and last week I had it at another, and both tasted same

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img20161004wa0041.jpg
Old 8th November 2016, 11:09   #6953
BHPian

Quote:
The name of the Place is "Kottigehara" and a promiment junction

A month back I had it one place and last week I had it at another, and both tasted same
Thanks Parag. I was thinking you were having it at a specific hotel in Kottigehara. I have been taking this route for the past few trips to m'lore but never found anything appealing to stop over for a break at this junction. I will now definitely stop over for neer dose in my next trip.
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 11:14   #6954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been taking this route for the past few trips to m'lore but never found anything appealing to stop over for a break at this junction. I will now definitely stop over for neer dose in my next trip.
True that! None of these places will be anywhere close to appealing at all but then I have grown up eating neer dosas here ever since we used to take the Charmadi option to reach Mangalore from Belur, mostly by KaSRTC Bus.

Take a plunge this time, they won't be any great but simple stuff with plain chutney and what I noticed this time at the hotel I stopped was they served it with Saagu while I have always preferred the Brinjal curry.
Old 8th November 2016, 12:52   #6955
BHPian

Quote:
Take a plunge this time, they won't be any great but simple stuff with plain chutney and what I noticed this time at the hotel I stopped was they served it with Saagu while I have always preferred the Brinjal curry.
Definitely. Thank you so much. I also prefer it with the traditional coconut-jaggery mix .
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 13:03   #6956
BHPian

Quote:
Please don't leave the place without trying 'bonda sherbet' which is prepared using tender coconut water with chat masala and lime juice. Kottigehara is famous for this drink.

Last edited by kptraveller : 8th November 2016 at 13:05.
kptraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 17:29   #6957
BHPian

Heads up Friends.. Toll tax across all NH suspended till November 11 Midnight.
Old 12th November 2016, 14:26   #6958
BHPian

I will be driving to Puttur on Tuesday. Is anyone aware of any petrol stations accepting American Express cards between Hassan and Bangalore?
Old 12th November 2016, 14:34   #6959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
I will be driving to Puttur on Tuesday. Is anyone aware of any petrol stations accepting American Express cards between Hassan and Bangalore?
Earlier all HP Stations accepted Amex wherever cards were accepted.

Not sure as of today. If you want,"try" your luck at HPCL station that you get soon after the Bellur cross toll on the left side attached to CCD.

https://goo.gl/maps/a1pMqLMoEfB2

They accept cards but I am not sure if they accept Amex but since it's HPCL, they may.

Honestly, I am less hopeful.

The other HPCL is on the opposite side soon after you get down from Kunigal Bypass. That's new (been a while now) but you may first check here.

https://goo.gl/maps/Syunou7Xe1D2
Old 12th November 2016, 16:02   #6960
APV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Heads up Friends.. Toll tax across all NH suspended till November 11 Midnight.
Toll suspension extended till Nov 14th Midnight

Source:
http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...night-4370609/

Most Viewed