Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2017, 19:15   #7111
Senior - BHPian

This is the company which took 6months to complete 13kms stretch and did a shabby job, one incompetent firm. L&T is a good news but loads of trees will be sacrificed for this project :(

That said, having got used to driving on 4lane roads, driving on the good old highways seems to be challenge now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Update :

The work between Hassan and Maranahalli (48 km at a cost of Rs 573 crore) has been given to Isolux Corsan, while the work between Addahole and BC Road (65 km at a cost of Rs 822 crore) would be taken up by L&T.

In the first phase, 13 km-stretch of concrete road has been constructed on the Shiradi Ghat stretch. The second phase was entrusted to GVR Infrastructure Pvt Ltd, Chennai. But, as the company failed to begin work even after 13 months of taking up the work, the contract was terminated. The company has moved the high court questioning the government’s decision.

Source : http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...start-may.html
Dubeyji, Now that the majority of 4laning work is complete between Mangalore to Kundapura. going via Mangalore is easiest but watch out for those barricades

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
All,

Given the present road conditions in the Western Ghats, which would be the best route for a Bangalore-Kundapura drive?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by aah78 : 10th February 2017 at 19:33. Reason: Posts merged. Use MULTI-QUOTE/QUOTE+ when responding to multiple posts please. Thanks!
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 10:54   #7112
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Now that the majority of 4laning work is complete between Mangalore to Kundapura. going via Mangalore is easiest but watch out for those barricades
Thanks Lohith. I ended up taking the route via Chikmagalur-Sringeri-Agumbe and no regrets - what awesome roads all the way with almost zilch traffic. Highly recommended if one is not under a time crunch.
Old 11th February 2017, 11:12   #7113
Team-BHP Support

Hejamadi toll collection started on Feb 9th, and there were couple problems:

1) Toll road work is not complete. After driving through padubidri section every time, I feel commuters must be paid.
2) They had promised that local KA-20 cars are exempt. This promise was broken from the very first day.
3) The Suratkal toll booth was supposed to shutdown once Hejamadi toll collection starts. However, both are collecting tolls now.

Obviously, this has led to massive protests. Protesters have proposed Udupi Bandh on Monday.

https://www.mangalorean.com/section-...adi-toll-area/
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 16:55   #7114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
1) Toll road work is not complete. After driving through padubidri section every time, I feel commuters must be paid.
Any idea why Padubidri section is being ignored ? M'lore to Udupi is a pleasure to drive otherwise.
Old 13th February 2017, 20:22   #7115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatananda.k View Post
Any idea why Padubidri section is being ignored ? M'lore to Udupi is a pleasure to drive otherwise.
Litigation!

As it is a prime business area, NOT many are willing to forego their land for government prices. Some of them have gone to court and got a stay.

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/newsD...?newsID=437669
Old 15th February 2017, 12:16   #7116
BANNED

Just returned from Udupi yesterday via charmadi Ghat.Some road widening work and concrete work going on near ghat entry.Rest of the road is good.
Be careful near Belur entry point.Very big drainage manholes and that too some are 1ft hight.Road repair work is going on.I don't understand why these much big ones.Its very dangerous during night drive.
Old 17th February 2017, 10:58   #7117
BHPian

Folks, what is the state of Shiradi Ghat. What is the current best route to Dharmasthala, Kukke from Bangalore (Driving with elders)
Old 17th February 2017, 11:26   #7118
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Neel, I did a one-day return trip to Dharmasthala last Sunday, the roads are good all the way up to Sakleshapura. As rajshenoy and lohit have mentioned in the earlier posts, there are at least 5 bad patches on the ghat roads with potholes which can test the cars with Low GC a bit. If you are a first timer you can first reach DS via Charmadi ghat and then go to KS and return back to Bangalore via Charmadi ghat. Charmadi ghat road is in good condition up to DS.

Last edited by deehunk : 17th February 2017 at 11:31.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 11:59   #7119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Hi, Neel, I did a one-day return trip to Dharmasthala last Sunday, the roads are good all the way up to Sakleshapura. As rajshenoy and lohit have mentioned in the earlier posts, there are at least 5 bad patches on the ghat roads with potholes which can test the cars with Low GC a bit. If you are a first timer you can first reach DS via Charmadi ghat and then go to KS and return back to Bangalore via Charmadi ghat. Charmadi ghat road is in good condition up to DS.
Thanks, i have driven Shiradi in good and bad conditions. am planning to drive to Kukke first and then to Dharmasthala from there. Shiradi is the only option then. Will be driving during the day - one of the cars is a Honda City with 4 people. Hoping it will be fine.
Neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 17:19   #7120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
Thanks, i have driven Shiradi in good and bad conditions. am planning to drive to Kukke first and then to Dharmasthala from there. Shiradi is the only option then. Will be driving during the day - one of the cars is a Honda City with 4 people. Hoping it will be fine.
I drove to Mangalore last weekend. It is around 10 kms that is in bad shape , I think it can be easily tackled with some patient driving even with low GC sedans.
gadadhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 11:26   #7121
BHPian

Yes, it is indeed a bad stretch totaling about 10 km in certain sections between Sakleshpur and Gundya.
The roads to and fro to Kukke from NH 75 are in great shape.
Many food outlets have come up on NH 75 in the last year between Kunigal and Hassan.
Neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 10:10   #7122
BHPian

Hello Folks,

I did Bangalore to Moodbidri last evening. Started at 4:15 PM from BSK and reached Moodbidri by 10:30 PM. I took the Shiradi route. Road details as follows:
Bangalore to Hassan: Butter smooth as usual
Hassan to Sakleshpur: Generally good with lot of trees cut along the way. The road gets a bit patchy closer to Sakleshpur town. However, the road in Sakleshpur town all the way upto the concrete section is newly laid and in great shape.
Sakleshpur to Gundya: The concrete section is holding up very well and the road markings and reflectors are ready and really help during a night drive. After the concrete stretch until Gundya (about 15 kms), the road is in pretty bad shape. You would have to negotiate few sections with great care especially if you have a sedan/hatch.
Gundya to BC Road: Very good roads. Nothing to worry.
BC Road to Moodbidri: Road is in good shape. A bit narrow though.

Overall, I still feel the Shiradi is still the best route if you are travelling towards Mangalore.
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 10:22   #7123
BHPian

Short update on the return trip.
I started on Saturday 25th Feb at 7:30 AM from Moodbidri back to Bangalore. I took the Venoor -> Dharmastala -> Shiradi route just to avoid trouble around BC Road since it was DK Bandh.
Drive was smooth and road from Moodbidri all the way to the NH is 95% good. Stopped for lunch at Hotel Mayur just before Kunigal.
The food was quite decent and restrooms are clean.
Reached home at 2:00 PM.

Cheers
Rahulb22
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 15:46   #7124
BHPian

Hi guys. I am planning to drive down to Tirupati on the 13th of March. The plan is to start around 3.00 pm from Mangalore and take a halt either at Hassan or somewhere further ahead depending on the availability of a good hotel. Then start early morning from there and continue towards Tirupati. Need advice as to which road to take after nelamangala to join the Tirupati road. Also any good hotel to spend the night between Hassan and Kunigal. Thanks in advance
Old 28th February 2017, 15:53   #7125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nityaya View Post
Hi guys. I am planning to drive down to Tirupati on the 13th of March. The plan is to start around 3.00 pm from Mangalore and take a halt either at Hassan or somewhere further ahead depending on the availability of a good hotel. Then start early morning from there and continue towards Tirupati. Need advice as to which road to take after nelamangala to join the Tirupati road. Also any good hotel to spend the night between Hassan and Kunigal. Thanks in advance
You can halt for the night at Hotel Mayura at Bellur Cross, decent rooms and good food

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks