Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 14:13   #7156
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Yes, both the tolls at Hejamadi and Sastan are operational. Even if you have a KA51 vehicle, you will be exempted from paying the toll if you are able to show a copy of ID/Address proof of a local address(Anywhere in Udupi district). Worked that way for me this time around where I was driving my Bangalore registered Ecosport but got an exemption after showing my father's Aadhar copy
Old 11th April 2017, 14:48   #7157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, the Hejamady toll is operational. It is free for KA20 vehicles, so I don't have to pay. But Suratkal toll is not going away, it is free for KA19 vehicles. So both tolls are operational together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Yes, both the tolls at Hejamadi and Sastan are operational.
I was speaking about Suratkal and Hejamady toll being operational together. They are apart by less than 20 kms and they are flouting the rule of 60kms between two toll plazas. The earlier talk was, Suratkal toll would be disbanded once the Hejamady toll is open.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 15:22   #7158
BHPian

Looks like the highway robbery menace has started again.

Quote:
Two days ago, five men assaulted a lorry driver and fled with Rs 17,000 in cash and a mobile near Shiradi Ghat stretch of the Mangaluru-Benglauru national highway. Raghavendra of Arsikere, a truck driver, was bringing a load of cement bags from Gundlupet to Udupi. He stopped the truck by the roadside around 10pm. Even as he was getting into the truck, five members came in a vehicle, blocked his way and dragged him out, smothered him and slashed his chest with a knife before fleeing with cash and mobile phones.
Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/58138165.cms
Old 12th April 2017, 16:11   #7159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I was speaking about Suratkal and Hejamady toll being operational together. They are apart by less than 20 kms and they are flouting the rule of 60kms between two toll plazas. The earlier talk was, Suratkal toll would be disbanded once the Hejamady toll is open.
Surely a scam. They hiked by 5 rs too. Also BC road to mangalore 25rs for merely 20kms
Old 12th April 2017, 16:18   #7160
BHPian

Folks, I will be plying to Udupi this Friday morning. Route is mostly decided since I'm planning to stop over at Tumkur to briefly visit my Aunt. From there, it is the Tiptur -Arsikere-Bhadravati-Agumbe option that is open. My query is on the rest stops along this route. Clean rest rooms, ample parking are mainly what I'm looking for. Good food will be a bonus !

I remember a couple of restaurants near KB Cross when I'd done this route a couple of years back. They were pretty good too. I'd anyway prefer to stop somewhere after Arsikere since that is a good two hours drive away from Tumkur.
Please pour in with your suggestions on the options along this route.

For the return on Sunday, I'm planning to stick to Shiradi / Charmadi depending on the time of the day (dark / daytime respectively)
Old 12th April 2017, 16:23   #7161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
They were pretty good too. I'd anyway prefer to stop somewhere after Arsikere since that is a good two hours drive away from Tumkur.
You have Cafe Coffee Day right after Arasikere. I have included the location.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 16:36   #7162
BHPian

Quote:
My query is on the rest stops along this route. Clean rest rooms, ample parking are mainly what I'm looking for. Good food will be a bonus !

I remember a couple of restaurants near KB Cross when I'd done this route a couple of years back. They were pretty good too. I'd anyway prefer to stop somewhere after Arsikere since that is a good two hours drive away from Tumkur.
Standard of restroom is required then only option is Cafe coffee day 5km after Arsikere.

Quote:
Please pour in with your suggestions on the options along this route.

For the return on Sunday, I'm planning to stick to Shiradi / Charmadi depending on the time of the day (dark / daytime respectively)
Since you have not told what time you will start from Tumkur, I don't if you need lunch suggestion. If lunch is necessary good place to take Shimoga town. Before Shimoga I have not found single hotel worth visit.

After Shimoga also there are sparse hotel meeting hygienic requirement along with decent restroom.

This is my usual route to Kundapur, however I prefer to take via Channrayaptna to Arsikere road as it increases breakfast options, but you can't take that. If lunch is required, I always travel Shimoga, visit Meenakshi Bhavan for lunch.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 17:19   #7163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You have Cafe Coffee Day right after Arasikere. I have included the location.
Coffee Day should be good enough for a quick stop. Will be driving with coffee lovers on-board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Since you have not told what time you will start from Tumkur, I don't if you need lunch suggestion. If lunch is necessary good place to take Shimoga town. Before Shimoga I have not found single hotel worth visit.
........ Meenakshi Bhavan for lunch.
The plan is to start from Tumkur by 8-8.30 AM. Hopefully with a spot of breakfast at Aunt's place So that actually leaves space for lunch at anywhere close to Shimoga. Thanks for bringing it up and the suggestion.

Both the suggestions are going straight to my bookmarks!

I'm hoping the towns should give ample opportunity to stop for tender coconuts whenever required ?
Old 15th April 2017, 19:34   #7164
BHPian

Drove from Belgaum to Hassan--Belur--Chikkamagaluru--Vastare--Alduru--Balehonnur in the last 4 days. Belgaum--Hassan drive was a day prior. Started from Hassan at 12.45pm and reached Balehonnur by 4.45 pm including an hours break for having lunch. ( We had packed food from home and had it by sitting under the shade of trees in the hills and what a lovely experience it was ). On the return, started from Rambhapuri mutt, Balehonnur by 6pm and reached Hassan at 9pm including a 20 mins break at Badra stop coffee shop.

1. Hassan -- Belur - wide 2 lane road, a mix of patchy and very good sections, nothing to complain here. However, looks like there has been no maintenance of this road. Got annoyed with endless unnecessary speedbreakers on this stretch.

2. Belur--Chikkamagaluru - same as above

3. Chikkamagaluru--Balehonnur - good to very good 2 lane roads all the way, the ghat section particularly was superb ( comparable to Chorla,Amboli ghat roads but not a steep one ) The weather instantly changed after crossing over CKM that we turned off AC and rolled down windows. Cloudy weather with nice cool breeze and lush greenery all around. Simply loved the Chikkamagaluru district. This was the road that went straight upto Sringeri and Agumbe. Would love to explore this route again, next time around.

Spotted plenty of cars carrying fake team bhp stickers on this route, hardly two or three were original ones. That apart, was glad to see a lot of well maintained Mahindra jeeps with KA 18 regn.Those cute little coffee shops by roadside adjacent to coffee estates looked lovely. My ride was VW Polo 1.2 petrol Comfortline and the drive in 3rd gear in the hills was amazing.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 07:07   #7165
BHPian

I took Shiradi yesterday. Ghat is in good shape. Watch out for two things - potholes just before concrete stretch begins and steep fall at couple of shoulder line section (dangerously close) due to ongoing water lifting project.
Stretch until Hassan is undergoing fresh coat at few places so expect short diversions. It's disheartening to see piles of chopped trees on both sides of road until Sakaleshpur. An estimated 80,000 plus trees were destroyed for this widening project. No wonder it's less rain And burning sun all these days.

Last edited by Samurai : 16th April 2017 at 08:34. Reason: disheartening, not heartening.
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 20:38   #7166
BHPian

Hi Folks,
Planning a weekend trip to Mangalore/Udupi coast, a place not visited despite being in Bangalore for a while now. Thinking of a seaside resort but open to ideas. Also, can only leave Friday early evening and not before that and need to be back by Sunday night, so need route recommendations as not sure if the ghats are open/safe after dark.

Will be with the missus so need some rest & refreshment options enroute. Will be great to have some pocket friendly accommodation recommendations in the destinations suggested.
Old 17th April 2017, 20:47   #7167
BHPian

Re: Shiradi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hi Folks,
Planning a weekend trip to Mangalore/Udupi coast, a place not visited despite being in Bangalore for a while now. Thinking of a seaside resort but open to ideas. Also, can only leave Friday early evening and not before that and need to be back by Sunday night, so need route recommendations as not sure if the ghats are open/safe after dark.

Will be with the missus so need some rest & refreshment options enroute. Will be great to have some pocket friendly accommodation recommendations in the destinations suggested.
Well, there is 'Summer Sands' in Ullal and there is a resort also near Malpe coast.

Route should be via 'Shiradi Ghat' and yes, it is safe to drive after dark(barring few recent past incidents). Try NOT to stop in the ghats.

If you are NOT bent on staying close to beach, there is 'Ginger' on the outskirts of M'lore and 'Suraj International' which is close to beach, near Suratkal.

For refreshments, you have plenty of options on the highway. You just have to go back few pages on this thread.
Old 17th April 2017, 21:50   #7168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Well, there is 'Summer Sands' in Ullal and there is a resort also near Malpe coast.

Route should be via 'Shiradi Ghat' and yes, it is safe to drive after dark(barring few recent past incidents). Try NOT to stop in the ghats.

If you are NOT bent on staying close to beach, there is 'Ginger' on the outskirts of M'lore and 'Suraj International' which is close to beach, near Suratkal.
Thank you. I suppose there are several beaches on the Mangalore coast, are they all in close proximity? If not which is recommended if one is looking for some peace and quiet.
Old 17th April 2017, 22:45   #7169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Thank you. I suppose there are several beaches on the Mangalore coast, are they all in close proximity? If not which is recommended if one is looking for some peace and quiet.
As you are traveling on a weekend, the beaches around the city would be crowded. Suratkal beach near M'lore would be one option. If you are looking for peace and quiet would say 'Kaup' beach is good, which is closer to Udupi. If you can drive little ahead of Udupi, there is 'Bengre' beach which is kinda isolated and definitely fits your requirement. It is kinda of 'river meets sea' location what with green waters.

Take your pick!
Old 24th April 2017, 20:17   #7170
Senior - BHPian

Completed a day trip to Kukke Subramanya and back. Left home from CV Raman Nagar at 6:00AM. The road conditions till Sakaleshpur are quite good barring the tree cutting that is happening post Hassan. Heart wrenching to see so many trees being cut for the sake of road widening. Post Sakaleshpur, the roads are good with a few patches of rough tarmac. Otherwise it was a smooth drive to and fro. With a stop for breakfast at Mayura, temple darshan, lunch at Vijay comforts and a snack break at Swathi Delicacy for almost 1.5 hours so the kids could play and we could also avoid the traffic in Bangalore, we were back home by 9:30PM. Ghats are holding up well and no issues till Gundya cross at least.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 24th April 2017 at 20:29.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed