Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2017, 00:16   #7351
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

PM scheduled to visit Dharmasthala on Sunday 29th. Please take this into consideration while travelling on that route.

The prime minister will have darshana of Lord Manjunatha at Sri Kshetra Dharmasthala at 11am and later he will attend a programme organized by the Shri Kshethra Dharmasthala Rural Development Project (SKDRDP) at Ratnavarma Heggade Stadium in Ujire at 12 noon. (from ToI dated Oct 24)

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/61279121.cms
Wagoner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 15:05   #7352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoner View Post
PM scheduled to visit Dharmasthala on Sunday 29th. Please take this into consideration while travelling on that route.

The prime minister will have darshana of Lord Manjunatha at Sri Kshetra Dharmasthala at 11am and later he will attend a programme organized by the Shri Kshethra Dharmasthala Rural Development Project (SKDRDP) at Ratnavarma Heggade Stadium in Ujire at 12 noon. (from ToI dated Oct 24)

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/61279121.cms
Damn. I am leaving tomorrow for Udupi and was planning to take Charmadi. This route is completely ruled out considering that I have an infant with me and I might have to stop and go at regular intervals. I believe Mysore Madikere Mangalore Udupi seems to be the best, but longer option. Is there any other better route. Now, what are my breakfast options considering I start 4.30AM in the morning from Bangalore. I want to go past Mysore and break later. Kushal Nagar?
Old 29th October 2017, 00:29   #7353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Damn. I am leaving tomorrow for Udupi and was planning to take Charmadi.
Go via Belur, CKM,Aldur,Balehonnur, Sringeri & Agumbe.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 05:03   #7354
BHPian

Just returned from Mangalore. Took the Charmadi route again. Though there are some rough patches and broken sections in the ghat, i have started liking this route as it is stressfree. Took 7.5 hours with 30 min break door to door.
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 11:42   #7355
BHPian

Two weeks ago, I have been to Kukke and Dharmasthala from Bangalore. We started on 15th Sep at 8:00 AM from BG road, Bangalore, and took the Shiradi Ghat to reach Kukke. The concretized section is very well done (much better that concrete sections on NICE road), but the last 10 odd Km before Gundya are not concretized and are in bad shape. I was driving an S-Cross, and had no issues with potholes, but I had to go very slow. The scenary around also was so good, that If the road was any better, I would have driven faster and missed the nature.

We reached Kukke by 2 PM, and finishing the Darshan that evening, we visited Dharmastala next day, and came back to Kukke for a night stay (we Planned this way).

On 17 Sept, on the way back to Bangalore, I decided to try to Charmadi route, just for knowing how good or bad it is in comparison with Shiradi route, on the whole, it was around 100 KM more, and the road from Road has some bad sections, especially when the incline starts.

I felt, the charmadi road was narrower, and also less traffic, mountain springs on the roadside every once in a while, makes it even more better.

We started at Kukke at 9:30 AM and driving via Dharmasthala (without stopping again at the temple) reached Bangalore at 7: 30 PM.

If the GC of your vehicle is not a problem, then Shiradi is not that bad, especially the down-hill side of the road, we have equally bad sections of road right here in Bangalore.
vidyasagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 10:24   #7356
Senior - BHPian

I visited Dharmasthala yesterday, took Shiradi Ghat while going in the morning and returned back home late evening via Charmadi Ghat. The roads are in horrible condition except for a small stretch on Shiradi Ghat. It took me 2 hours to reach the temple from Sakleshpura. While returning back home I came via Charmadi Ghat, found the road conditions to be better except that at all hairpin curves there are big craters. The road repair work is in progress, so drive cautiously around the curves. I took two hours to reach Belur from Dharmasthala despite traffic and some rough patches. I never felt short of torque on my WR-V while driving on Charmadi Ghat.
Old 13th November 2017, 15:27   #7357

Hello People,

Anyone traveled on the Anemahal --> Hanbal route recently to reach Charmadi from Sakleshpur? Need to travel to Udupi this Friday(early morning) and want to avoid Shiradi.

Travelling with an infant and need to reach Udupi as soon as possible.
Old 13th November 2017, 23:23   #7358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srihari154 View Post
Hello People,

Need to travel to Udupi this Friday(early morning) and want to avoid Shiradi.

Travelling with an infant and need to reach Udupi as soon as possible.
The only problem on this route are the narrow roads, it is somewhat better than Shiradi Ghat.
Old 14th November 2017, 14:41   #7359
BHPian

Looks like Shiradi upgrade will happen only in 2018.

Please refer this news article from Deccan Herald: Link
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 22:20   #7360
BHPian

Hello All,

I am planning to drive from Bengaluru to Brahmavara in the first week of Dec along with my family. We plan to cover Kukke Subramanya temple during outward journey and Sringeri while coming back. Can you please share me the routes to take both the ways.

Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 23:35   #7361
Senior - BHPian

Hi Praveen, it is better to reach Subramanya via Shiradi ghat. It is possible to manage the bad stretches on your i20. For the onward journey, you can opt for either Dharmasthala-Belthangadi-Karkala-Brahmavara or Mangalore-Udupi-Brahmavara routes.

Last edited by deehunk : 15th November 2017 at 23:37.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 08:33   #7362
Senior - BHPian

Folks

My tentative plan is to travel to Mangalore (Hoige Bail, Ashok Nagar) next week . Which is the best road route I need to take. Also any good hotels to stay near the venue.
Can you suggest where I can stop for breakfast / lunch while driving to Mangalore and back.
Old 16th November 2017, 09:27   #7363
BHPian

Just returned from a trip to mangalore and kukke couple of days back. The roads from sakleshpur to gundya and little further are in pretty bad shape. Roads are in much worser condition around 10 kms from gundya but nothing that cannot be managed with some careful driving. I hear that they plan to close the roads in the next coming months to redo the road and also hear some tunneling work is set to begin.
Rotorhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 15:10   #7364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

My tentative plan is to travel to Mangalore (Hoige Bail, Ashok Nagar) next week . Which is the best road route I need to take. Also any good hotels to stay near the venue.
Can you suggest where I can stop for breakfast / lunch while driving to Mangalore and back.
Hi Suresh,

Near Ashok Nagar , I can think of three hotels to stay (varying levels of service & pricing) :

1. Kavitha Residency - https://goo.gl/maps/95qhGT5hpjz : A budget hotel & probably the closest to Ashok Nagar . Has a small parking place , though there is adequate space to park on the road near the hotel.

2. Ginger Hotel - https://goo.gl/maps/8QkuHcXWDeG2 : Probably a couple of minutes more travel time compared to Kavitha Residency & costlier as well.

3. Hotel BMS - https://goo.gl/maps/jeFNNB4bnRL2 : Fairly new property ( opened around 18 months back). Very good A/c veg restaurant on premises with adequate parking and is on NH 66. 15 minutes drive to Ashok Nagar.

P.S : I haven't stayed in any of these places , but know these places as they are close to my parents' place.

For the route, Bangalore -> Hassan -> Belur -> Mudigere -> Kottigehara ->Charamadi Ghat-> Belthangadi -> BC Road ->Mangalore is better compared to the route via Shiradi Ghat which isn't in the greatest condition .Charmadi route though is longer by roughly 30 kms compared to the shortest route via Shiradi Ghat. You can check some of recent posts on this thread for more latest info on the conditions.

Breakfast options : Plenty of them until Hassan once you cross Nelamangala and there are boards all the way until Hassan with advertisements everywhere. A2B is popular and you will find it just after Chennarayapatna bye pass,

Cheers
Suhas
suhasark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 15:39   #7365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasark View Post
For the route, Bangalore -> Hassan -> Belur -> Mudigere -> Kottigehara ->Charamadi Ghat-> Belthangadi -> BC Road ->Mangalore is better compared to the route via Shiradi Ghat which isn't in the greatest condition .Charmadi route though is longer by roughly 30 kms compared to the shortest route via Shiradi Ghat. You can check some of recent posts on this thread for more latest info on the conditions.

Breakfast options : Plenty of them until Hassan once you cross Nelamangala and there are boards all the way until Hassan with advertisements everywhere. A2B is popular and you will find it just after Chennarayapatna bye pass,

Cheers
Suhas
Thanks Mate. One more query. How do you compare the route you suggested as against the Mysore-Madikeri-Sullia route. I am contemplatin taking the Madikeri route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks