Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2017, 10:23   #7396
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukamath View Post
Hi friends,

Traveling next weekend from Bangalore to BC Rd /Bantwal to Mangalore and back. Traveling with elderly and need some advice on which ghat section to use.

Is 75 via Shiradi still the best option given the present road conditions (How much of the tarmac is bad - haven't travelled on it in a while) or should I use 75 till Hassan and then to 73, Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady -Bantwal - Mangalore? My local bus booking chap was also indicating that they may close Shiradi anytime soon for road fixing works. Any pointers would be very helpful for route planning.

Thanks!
I took Shiradi route while travelling to Puttur on 17th and could see that patch work has been completed till Maranahalli. It was a peaceful drive with no potholes or broken section till concrete stretch.

However thinks get worse post the end of concrete roads. I was driving my Figo with 4 souls on board and some potholes required some extra attention. Overall it took 30mins to cross this battered stretch till Gundya. Post that it was a smooth drive and I still vouch for this route as it is still the fastest route according to me.

With only 2 weeks left for earlier announced dates of closure of this route to take up the concrete work, I expect the hoardings to be put up at the entrance anytime soon.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 19th December 2017 at 10:25.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 15:46   #7397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You can also take Bangalore-Nelamangala-CR Patna-Holenarasipura-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri-Sampaje-Sullia-Mangalore
Till Hassan, I understand that the roads are 4 laned. How about the road conditions post Hassan via Shiradi Ghats. I am contemplating whether going via Mysore, Madikeri is better or via Hassan .
Old 19th December 2017, 16:27   #7398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Till Hassan, I understand that the roads are 4 laned. How about the road conditions post Hassan via Shiradi Ghats. I am contemplating whether going via Mysore, Madikeri is better or via Hassan .
Hassan Sakleshpura stretch is being widened and this has resulted in few bad patches at places. Trafficc is terrible with very few overtaking oppurtunities on this stretch. Sakleshpura to the start of the concrete stretch has been patched up. The concrete stretch is excellent. After this the road deteriorates. It is not so bad, but you need to proceed with caution. If you feel you cannot traverse the terrain, wait and use the other side of the road. You will lose around 20-25 minutes from a normal drive but still this is the fastest route.

If not the above, you can take the Hanbal, Jannapura, Mudigere, Kottigehara, Charmadi and further. Here only few hairpins are in bad shape and is more manageable than the Shiradi.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 16:50   #7399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
If not the above, you can take the Hanbal, Jannapura, Mudigere, Kottigehara, Charmadi and further. Here only few hairpins are in bad shape and is more manageable than the Shiradi.
After deciding to take plunge by starting on a noon of an extended weekend 2 years back, we were pretty fast till Hassan and after that it was literally crawling all the way to Sakaleshpur only because we had many cars who would not overtake a tanker and just follow that and the same folks would not allow you to overtake them.

This ensured Hassan Sakaleshpur took me and another friend 75 Mins.

Exactly here we decided to turn towards Hanbal at Anemahal and what a wonderful decision it was. In fact, this was the time when even Sakaleshour Hanbal was bad but zero traffic ensured a peaceful drive.

Needless to say, Charmadi had very less traffic, none from Bangalore and it was another lovely run to Kudla there after till BC road.

I will any day choose bad roads over traffic prone roads and still relish that and yes, Charmadi (road) in its present state is heaven compared to Shiradi.

Quote:
Or if I go via Hassan are there options to avoid Shiradi Ghats ??
Suresh, it is no brainer that if you are driving till Hassan, Charmadi is the most sensible route to take for Mangalore than any other. This is as simple as that.

Your route shall be :

Bangalore - Nelamangala - Kunigal - CR Patna - Hassan - Sakaleshpura - Anemahal - Hanbal - Jannapura - Mudigere Handpost - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - BC Road - Mangalore

As an alternate to the same route above, you can as well do:

Bangalore - Nelamangala - Kunigal - CR Patna - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere Handpost - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - BC Road - Mangalore

Route conditions are easily good with both. While the first one will have expansion work between Hassan - Sakaleshpur which will still have lot of traffic, the one via Belur - Mudigere will be marginally better because you wont have to cross Sakaleshpur town which is more time consuming than crossing Belur town. Plus, major traffic diverts from Belur circle for Chikmagalur.

Another advantage over taking the Madikeri route is that your slowest (narrowest) section is only Kottigehara to Charmadi village after which less traffic will ensure the pace is well maintained.

Next to this, the other slow section will be betwen Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere (almost 6-8 kms) and usual typical KL type traffic on a 2 lane road.

Charmadi Ghat itself remains good except hair pin curves where roads are only a bit rough and marginally bad. But that is all. There will be 11 Hair pins to tackle and if you are used to it, a very good alternate to Shiradi any day.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th December 2017 at 17:06. Reason: Back to back posts merged
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 09:23   #7400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
I took Shiradi route while travelling to Puttur on 17th and could see that patch work has been completed till Maranahalli. It was a peaceful drive with no potholes or broken section till concrete stretch.

However thinks get worse post the end of concrete roads. I was driving my Figo with 4 souls on board and some potholes required some extra attention. Overall it took 30mins to cross this battered stretch till Gundya. Post that it was a smooth drive and I still vouch for this route as it is still the fastest route according to me.

With only 2 weeks left for earlier announced dates of closure of this route to take up the concrete work, I expect the hoardings to be put up at the entrance anytime soon.
I will be taking the Charmadi route as against the Shiradi route. Is there news about Shiradi ghats being closed for repair work by this year end ?
Old 20th December 2017, 09:25   #7401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will be taking the Charmadi route as against the Shiradi route. Is there news about Shiradi ghats being closed for repair work by this year end ?
For now no such confirmed news with dates. It's always been that way till now. Many articles keep mentioning the closure till a final confirmation comes from the proper agency.
Old 20th December 2017, 09:29   #7402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
For now no such confirmed news with dates. It's always been that way till now. Many articles keep mentioning the closure till a final confirmation comes from the proper agency.
Thanks Parag. I will stick to the below route suggested by you

Bangalore - Nelamangala - Kunigal - CR Patna - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere Handpost - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - BC Road - Mangalore

Based on yours and others feedback, looks like it is better to avoid Shiradi Ghats. Need your inputs on good places to break for Breakfast and Lunch enroute to Mangalore
I intend to leave Bangalore by 6 30 AM and hopefully should reach Mangalore before 4 PM
Old 20th December 2017, 09:56   #7403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Based on yours and others feedback, looks like it is better to avoid Shiradi Ghats. Need your inputs on good places to break for Breakfast and Lunch enroute to Mangalore
With 0630AM, these are the options that you can stop for Breakfast:
As a good break-point, say around 11:30 ish, you can stop by at Freshbean Cafe for some good coffee and bio break. This one is one of the most cleanest places on this route. Also attached to this is a reliable IOCL station where you can refill and they accept cards too.

Since you will be starting at 0630, with a stop for breakfast at any of the above options, you should ideally be crossing Belur around 10:00AM and then around 11:30AM you will be just nearing Kottigehara. With this, you can plan your lunch only after finishing the ghats in the next 1 hour at Ujire or Belthangady town.

Following will be strictly OKish options here:Also, I don't think you will reach Mangalore at 4PM with a 0630AM Start even if you take Charmadi. Remember that Charmadi is not a route that will take more time against Shiradi even on a normal day when Shiradi is in good shape. It is a matter of only 10-15 minutes. So, with a Breakfast and lunch breaks, you should ideally be looking at anything between 6.5-7.5 Hours for this and nothing more.

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th December 2017 at 10:01.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 10:49   #7404
BHPian

There is one more, kicchana halli mane, opposite to Swati delicacy. Would be more convenient if traveling towards Hasan.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20171119_213014_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by _chikku : 20th December 2017 at 11:17.
_chikku is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 11:14   #7405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
There is one more, kicchana halli name, opposite to Swati delicacy. Would be more convenient if traveling towards Hasan.
My folks tried this and the food is strictly average.

But I really loved the ambience here, typical Halli Mane .

In fact, good crowd here 2 weeks ago when I drop to Hasan and I must try this once.
Old 20th December 2017, 14:04   #7406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Thank you DragonHawk. This helps. If it is motorable then should be ok.
Old 20th December 2017, 14:18   #7407
BHPian

Hi All,

We will be driving by Alto 800 tomorrow morning Bangalore to kundapur. Can you please suggest which is the best route in terms of road condition?

Google maps suggests NH75 till Hassan, then SH57 to Chikmagalur, Then SH27/65.

Shared route
to Kundapura via NH75.

8 hr 6 min (415*km)
8 hr 14 min in current traffic

6. Turn right onto the ramp to NH75
7. Merge onto NH75
8. Turn right to stay on NH75
9. Take the exit toward NH75
10. Turn left to stay on NH75
11. Turn right toward Bangalore - Mangalore Rd
12. Turn right onto Bangalore - Mangalore Rd
13. Turn left
14. Turn right toward Belur Rd
15. Turn left onto Belur Rd
16. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto NH73
17. Slight left onto SH 57
18. Continue straight
19. Turn left toward NH173
20. Turn left onto NH173
21. Turn right onto Chikkamagaluru - Balehonnur Rd/Chikkamagaluru-Sringeri Rd
22. Slight right to stay on Chikkamagaluru - Balehonnur Rd/Chikkamagaluru-Sringeri Rd
23. Continue straight past Sri Venkateshwara Stores Jayapura Subbanna onto Jayapura - Koppa Rd
24. Turn left
25. Turn left
26. Turn left onto NH169
27. Continue straight past Acc Cement Dealer onto SH 65
28. Turn right onto Kundapur - Agumbe Hwy
29. Slight left
30. Slight right
31. Turn right onto NH66
32. Continue straight onto Kundapura Main Rd
33. Arrive at location: Kundapura

Suggestions please!

Last edited by revhappy : 20th December 2017 at 14:27.
Old 20th December 2017, 14:27   #7408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Google maps suggests NH75 till Hassan, then SH57 to Chikmagalur, Then SH27/65.
This is via Chikmagalur Balehonnur Agumbe Ghats. Mind you, this will be one never ending road soon after Chikmagalur town with twists and turns all the way till you almost reach Kundapura.

Instead, I would suggest to take Shiradi even in its present state or Charmadi (refer few posts above) which will have considerable wider roads except for the main ghats to tackle.

Altered route:

Via Shiradi

Via Charmadi
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 15:28   #7409
BHPian

We have gone before in 2013 once via the agumbe ghat route and we really enjoyed it. I guess we will do it again tomorrow.

I found my old post in this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3112262

Last edited by revhappy : 20th December 2017 at 15:30.
Old 20th December 2017, 15:35   #7410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
We have gone before in 2013 once via the agumbe ghat route and we really enjoyed it. I guess we will do it again tomorrow.
Then time to enjoy it again. By the way you posted your query, it was missing the main term (Agumbe) and that made me guess you perhaps were not aware of that because you mentioned just Chikmagalur.

Enjoy your drive. The Agumbe ghats are relaid and in the best of their shape as of now.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed