Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2018, 08:34   #7621
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Hi Guys,
I was planning a road trip tomorrow from Goa to Mangalore.I wanted to know the best route,how long it would take from Mapusa to Hampankatta Mangalore.I am planning to start by 5 am.Please inform possible places to stop for tea,sightseeing.Any special precautions to be taken with the traffic /rto on the karnataka side.Travelling with family in our Corolla
Old 25th May 2018, 10:09   #7622
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Just completed a trip from Bangalore to Mangalore. Started at 2:00 AM driving solo. I was happy seeing all the buses from Mangalore passing by which meant Charmadi was good to go. But things did not go according to plan.

First a tree fall near Hoysala Village Resort, Hassan meant 20 mins delay. Next tree fall again on Charmadi causing km long queues and another 45 mins lost

I guess Charmadi is risky now with heavy rains in the region. I guess it is advisable to take the Madikeri route to Mangalore until Shiradi opens. One of the truck drivers was also telling me that they are letting vehicles pass by Shiradi by charging a sum of 1000/- per vehicle. Not sure if it is true.

Regards
Rahulb22
Old 25th May 2018, 12:37   #7623
BHPian

Hello all, have to travel to sringeri, hornadu and then to karkala tommorow, need suggestion as which would be the better option 1. Travel to hornadu 1st and then to sringeri and then return to karkala or 2. Travel to sringeri 1st and then to hornadu and then karkala? Planning to leave by 5-6am tomorrow from Bangalore.
Old 25th May 2018, 13:01   #7624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
I was planning a road trip tomorrow from Goa to Mangalore. I wanted to know the best route,
One and only erstwhile NH17 all the way through Madgaon - Karwar - Ankola - Kumta - Honnavara - Bhatkal - Kundapura - Udupi - Mangalore

Quote:
how long it would take from Mapusa to Hampankatta Mangalore.
Budget 9-10 Hours with breaks.

Quote:
I am planning to start by 5 am.Please inform possible places to stop for tea,sightseeing.
The most suitable stop with a 5am start would be Kamat Upachar at Ankola, Bang on the highway. Also attached to this are Cafe Coffee Day and IOCL. This will be around 3-3.5 Hours from Mapusa so makes an ideal stop for breakfast.

Then at Kundapura Town, you can probably plan a late lunch at Shetty's Lunch home that also has Air-conditioned dining.

Additionally, there is a Cafe Coffee Day before Kundapur (and after Maravanthe) which can be a good point to break, when with family.

Sightseeing :

Apart from the drive alone which will be a sight seeing by itself, you will pass temple towns of Gokarna and Mudureshwara but to visit them you will need time. However, you will pass Maravanthe for which you wont need any detour and stop by and take some clicks.

Quote:
Any special precautions to be taken with the traffic /rto on the karnataka side.Travelling with family in our Corolla
No special precautions except 'Drive Safe'. Ensure to carry all valid documents related to the car as well as Emission Test Certificate, a valid one. There is 4 lane work in progress more on Karnataka side of the highway. So expect frequent diversions and wront side traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri Vathsa View Post
Hello all, have to travel to sringeri, hornadu and then to karkala tommorow, need suggestion as which would be the better option 1. Travel to hornadu 1st and then to sringeri and then return to karkala or 2. Travel to sringeri 1st and then to hornadu and then karkala? Planning to leave by 5-6am tomorrow from Bangalore.
Option makes more sense.

Sringeri - Horanadu - Kalasa - Samse - Kuduremukha - Bajagoli - Karkala.

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th May 2018 at 13:09.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 09:39   #7625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Drove to Udupi and back during the long weekend and here is the detailed update on route and road conditions.

Bangalore - Hiriyur: Beautiful 6L roads

Hiriyur - Hosaduraga:

Hosadurga - Ajjampur - Tarikere

Tarikere - Shivamogga

Shivamogga - Mandagadde

Mandagadde - Thirthahalli

Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Udupi

Total drive time both ways was about 7 hrs 15 min and it took just about 4 hours to reach Shimoga via Hiriyur - Tarikere route.
Took this route yesterday to Udupi with a little twist. At Hiriyur, it is not advisable to take the service road at first indication. You will join the NH again after a km. Look out for the Hosadurga deviation signboard and then take to the service road.

The traffic on the SH is maddening and so I took the Bhadra dam/ bypass road. This is a single lane carriageway with less traffic. But I missed the turn to Maduba and ended up at Koppa instead. However the roads are good to excellent on this stretch.

I managed to drive the 439 kms door to door with a fuel stop at Essar bunk near Bhadra dam and a tummy fuel stop at Thirthahalli in 7hr. 12 minutes flat. This is exactly a hour extra than what I take before Shiradi was closed.

Tomorrow is my return leg and I am contemplating a drive through Kudremukha and Sakleshpura. I will update the same here soon.
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 19:49   #7626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
The traffic on the SH is maddening and so I took the Bhadra dam/ bypass road.
Totally true. Even the stretch from where Hosadurga road joins Bhadravati road to Lakkavalli deviation it's unbearable. I have always found the record number of jaywalkers in Tarikere town. I never dare to drive past 25kmph in the town stretch.
ThilakNex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 08:18   #7627
Senior - BHPian

Road condition update, Udupi to Bengaluru.

Route taken: Udupi - Manipal - Karkala - Kudremukha - Kalasa - Kottigehara - Belur - Hassan - Nelamangala - Bengaluru.

Udupi to Karkala stretch has been patched up and is good to drive. It rained heavily day before and there were uprooted trees on the road. Locals had cleared half of the road to enable the movement of vehicles.

Karkala to Kudremukha, butter smooth roads throughout. The forest cover is lush now and every drive here puts up a big smile on my face.

Kudremukha to Kottigehara, good roads with occasional potholes around the small towns. The roads are narrow at some places and caution needs to be exercised here. Cattle and dogs on road aplenty here.

Took a break at Kottigehara at Fresh Bean Cafe. Loved the food and tea here.

Kottigehara to Hassan, was surprisingly devoid of traffic but rained cats and dogs. Plenty of speed breakers between Belur and Hassan have been converted to table top like. But becomes camel hump as you approach Hassan.

Hassan to Nelamangala, the road between Hassan and second toll is really bad. There is a gentle rocking motion on this stretch which really robs the driving pleasure. There was an interceptor at the CR Patna bypass. The second half is smooth now with all the asphalting work completed.

Nelamangala to Bengaluru has a couple of bottleneck. One near the exit to the NICE road and other where the elevated road starts. ORR was also free today.

Time taken was 8 hours with a break of one hour for breakfast and 2 fuel stops. Recommend the BP bunk at the Tiger circle in Manipal and the IOC in front of Bhanu theater in Hassan.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1527647120931.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1527647140581.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1527647163646.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1527647176906.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1527647195612.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1527647206590.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1527647223878.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1527647237996.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1527647263738.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1527647276203.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1527647277905.jpg  

unk9ja is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 10:05   #7628
BHPian

Guys, Shiradi ghat will open only after July 1st week. There is still about a kilometer of concrete work to be completed and 2 major bridge works to be done.
_chikku is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 10:12   #7629
BHPian

Planning to drive to Udupi this Friday, by leaving Bangalore at around 5PM from Bommanahalli. Given that I will not reach Udupi before 1AM, which ghat route do you folks suggest?

Will be crossing one of the ghats around 12AM in an EcoSport, hence not too worried about the road quality, which going by the reports here are all manageable in any car.

My concern is the foggy / rainy conditions prevalent in Malnad areas right now and the visibility at night. Also possibilities of roadblocks due to fallen trees and stuff.

I'm tilting towards the Shimoga - Agumbe - Hebri - Manipal route traversed by unk9ja (28th May) and procrj earlier.

But I think Agumbe - Hebri is more densely forested and narrower than the other two options that is Kottigehara - Charmadi / Kottigehara - Kalasa - Kudremukha. Hence the confusion.

Also, will need help with a dinner stop suggestion.
Old 30th May 2018, 17:21   #7630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
Planning to drive to Udupi this Friday, by leaving Bangalore at around 5PM from Bommanahalli. Given that I will not reach Udupi before 1AM, which ghat route do you folks suggest?

My concern is the foggy / rainy conditions prevalent in Malnad areas right now and the visibility at night. Also possibilities of roadblocks due to fallen trees and stuff.

I'm tilting towards the Shimoga - Agumbe - Hebri - Manipal route traversed by unk9ja (28th May) and procrj earlier.

But I think Agumbe - Hebri is more densely forested and narrower than the other two options that is Kottigehara - Charmadi / Kottigehara - Kalasa - Kudremukha. Hence the confusion.

Also, will need help with a dinner stop suggestion.

Well, for a start, you can tick off the Kudremukha from your list as it is not open in the night.

Charmadi is seeing lot of traffic and also treefalls. My parents who went to Udupi on 28th were delayed by 3 hours due to tree fall in Charmadi area. If you are leaving Bommanahalli by 1700hrs, you can have an early dinner stop at Hassan post which there are very few options. You can refresh yourselves at Kottigenara before you hit the Charmadi. You will encounter the first vehicles on their way up here but can beat others safely.

The other option through Agumbe is also fine. There are few vehicles plying here and the ghat is in good shape. The ghat gets over before you think and the narrow section is at a couple of places. The only area where I foresee traffic is the Tarikere - Shivamogga stretch. Dinner options are aplenty on the NH4 and then in Shivamogga. Don't bank on other options after Shivamogga and in between Hiriyur and Shivamogga.

I feel Charmadi is still the fastest way to get there. Try to start an hour early then planned and you should be fine all through.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 14:02   #7631
BHPian

Quote:
Well, for a start, you can tick off the Kudremukha from your list as it is not open in the night.
Ofcourse, . Will consider this route while returning. Do you know the cut-off times for closing & opening the gate through Kudremukha ?
Quote:
Charmadi is seeing lot of traffic and also treefalls. My parents who went to Udupi on 28th were delayed by 3 hours due to tree fall in Charmadi area.
Charmadi has bore the brunt during the absence of Shiradi. I've taken it atleast 3 times since Shiradi was closed. All during day time though.

Quote:
The other option through Agumbe is also fine. There are few vehicles plying here and the ghat is in good shape... Tarikere - Shivamogga stretch. Dinner options ... in Shivamogga. Don't bank on other options after Shivamogga and in between Hiriyur and Shivamogga.
Thanks for the practical suggestion. I'm actually leaving my office near Kadubeesanahalli by 4 PM and picking up my wife from her workplace at Bommanahalli. Then will take the NICE Road till Yeshwanthpura. Like you suggested, dinner at Shivamogga is the best option, unless hunger forces us otherwise .

Will post an update on how it goes.

Last edited by Sangre : 31st May 2018 at 14:05. Reason: Asking about the timings thr'u K'mukha
Old 31st May 2018, 17:38   #7632
BHPian

Folks, Travelling from Bankal to Udupi shortwhile before noon. Would like to take 1. A scenic route 2. Cover any popular temple visit on the way.
Based on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/91125-art-travelling-between-bangalore-mangalore-udupi-509.html#post4407244 post above from @unk9ja on 28th May I am inclining to take the following route

Banakal - Kottigehara - Kalasa - Hornadu temple - Kalasa - Kudremukha - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ba...13.3408807!3e0

Please suggest if this is a good route to take with a family and kid or if there are other options ?

Last edited by ssateesh : 31st May 2018 at 17:51.
Old 31st May 2018, 17:42   #7633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
Ofcourse, . Will consider this route while returning. Do you know the cut-off times for closing & opening the gate through Kudremukha ?

The entry starts at 0600hrs and the last entry is at 1700hrs. So effectively you can come out latest by 1830 at the Kudremukha side. The Hanumana Gundi waterfalls is closed to public now, else you could have utilised an hour more buying a ticket here.
Old 31st May 2018, 17:59   #7634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
Folks, Travelling from Bankal to Udupi shortwhile before noon. Would like to take 1. A scenic route 2. Cover any popular temple visit on the way.

Banakal - Kottigehara - Kalasa - Hornadu temple - Kalasa - Kudremukha - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ba...13.3408807!3e0

Please suggest if this is a good route to take with a family and kid or if there are other options ?

This is indeed a good scenic route but narrow and twisty till Kalasa. Look out for odd buses breathing down at you on curves as some of them can accommodate one vehicle. The twisty section may make the child and rear bench passengers nauseous as I have experienced before. If you can move into the Kudremukha by 1630, you can do this easily.

In addition to above, you can visit the Jain temple, Gomateshwara statue and Sri Venkataramana temple in Karkala.

Mods: Sorry for the back to back posts as I replied the earlier one after seeing the PM. Please merge.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 18:10   #7635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The entry starts at 0600hrs and the last entry is at 1700hrs. So effectively you can come out latest by 1830 at the Kudremukha side.
I just checked about this restriction with my classmate from Samse. He in turn called his folks and called back to inform that there is no restriction on Entry from both the sides.

There was a proposal for this but locals refused since this is the only connecting road between Chikmagalur and South Canara/Udupi from Kalasa and almost a lifeline.

I remember when another BHPian drove to Kuduremukha last year too, I called this chap to check on the restrictions because he was leaving Bangalore at 8PM and that would mean he would be at Samse around 2AM and my friend confirmed that there was no restriction.

Since you travelled recently I called him to check on this and he took time and called me back now inform that it's all clear.

Last edited by paragsachania : 31st May 2018 at 18:12.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks