Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2018, 13:55   #7651
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Specifically about belur <--> hassan stretch :

1) How is the road surface ? Last time I drove in the dusk, I found the potholes mind-numbing, especially after the beautiful mudigere to belur stretch on one side and the 4L section on the other side

2) What about the suddenly appearing central dividers, do they now have reflectors stuck on them ?

3) how about unmarked humps ?
The Road surface is nothing to worry about currently. It's very good without any exception.

The central dividers are still there. I noticed at least 3-4 of them which appear without any notice / reflectors. Quite dangerous if there is a truck / bus ahead of you. But these appear mostly on curves where we shouldn't be overtaking anyway.

Unmarked humps are there and should be easier to detect if there is a safe distance from the vehicle ahead. I was taking this road after sunset and not being aware of the road conditions, I settled behind a nicely driven Vitara, using it as a guide for overtaking.

Kottigehara to Hassan via Belur took me about 2hrs even with these conditions.

Last edited by Sangre : 8th June 2018 at 14:03. Reason: Added info on road humps
Sangre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 07:20   #7652
BHPian

Shiradi is expected to open by first week of July.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1528595412010.jpg  

Thilak29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 23:10   #7653
Senior - BHPian

Local channels are saying that the Charmadi Ghat has been temporarily closed due to a landslide and there is a huge pile up of vehicles for more than four hours. Unconfirmed reports say that the jam has extended for a couple of kilometers. Traffic to Mangaluru is being routed through Kalasa - S K Border - Kuduremukha - Karkala from Kottigehara.
dailydriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 11:08   #7654
BHPian

Seems Charmadi is in mess and should be strictly avoided. Trains via Sakaleshpur is diverted via Kerala and TN and impending trains are canceled.
It's best to avoid travel as it is raining heavily in this part of the world.
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 11:52   #7655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Shiradi is expected to open by first week of July.
A report says, work is 95% completed and is pending to be done for 3 bridges. The contractor mentioned that 2 full dry days would be enough for them complete all the work, however mentioned that road should be open to public only by first week of July. Now that Charmadi is also closed, one should take Arakalgud route or Mysore road(if travelling during odd time).

Last edited by PrideRed : 12th June 2018 at 11:57.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 20:52   #7656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Traffic to Mangaluru is being routed through Kalasa - S K Border - Kuduremukha - Karkala from Kottigehara.
The situation seems to be resolved now but the authorities have decided to ban vehicular movement for the next two days, until the debris are fully cleared. Till then the route to Mangaluru-Dharmasthala is through SK Border. Travellers from South Canara to Bengaluru are being told to take the Madikeri-Mysuru route. The severity of the rains has reduced today, but who are we to hazard a guess on what might or might not happen tomorrow!

Stuck in the jam throughout yesterday night and for the better part of today, people were seen struggling to meet even their basic necessities. A few good samaritans - an acquaintance of mine included - took turns providing the stranded passengers with drinking water, biscuits, eatables and not the least of all, moral support.

With hundreds of vehicles of various shapes and sizes parked on the road, the administration on both the reaches of the ghat apparently found it extremely difficult to reach earth moving equipments to the affected areas.

The Banakal police, under whose jurisdiction the initial few kilometres of the that roads after Kottigehara fall, are clearly ill-equipped to handle the huge influx of vehicles. They are civil cops and are not trained in the art of regulating traffic. May be its time a small proper traffic chowki comes up in the area.
dailydriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 09:04   #7657
BHPian

Planning to travel to Udupi on Friday morning, in a Fusion with two kids in tow.

While (the route taken by the Airavats) Kunigal-Channarayapattana-Kushalanagar-Madikeri-Puttur-Mangalore-Udupi route seems the most obvious, it seems long.

I know Charmadi is out of the question now.

What about SK Border, Kudremukha route?

Google also suggests the Hiriyur - Hosadurga route via Agumbe. Would that even make sense?
Old 13th June 2018, 09:12   #7658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Planning to travel to Udupi on Friday morning, in a Fusion with two kids in tow.

While (the route taken by the Airavats) Kunigal-Channarayapattana-Kushalanagar-Madikeri-Puttur-Mangalore-Udupi route seems the most obvious, it seems long.

I know Charmadi is out of the question now.

Google also suggests the Hiriyur - Hosadurga route via Agumbe. Would that even make sense?
Another option is Bangalore Mysore Madikeri Sulia Mangalore Route. It's been some time since I driven this route.
Old 13th June 2018, 10:22   #7659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If travelling to Udupi, you should try Agumbe route. I heard roads are in good shape though narrow. Arakalgud route is beneficial for people travelling upto Mangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Another option is Bangalore Mysore Madikeri Sulia Mangalore Route. It's been some time since I driven this route.
That is time consuming if you are travelling during peak hours. Arakalgud route is almost same distance and shaves off about 45min of travel time. Only problem, there are no eateries post Channrayapatna.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 10:40   #7660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Arakalgud route is beneficial for people travelling upto Mangalore.

That is time consuming if you are travelling during peak hours. Arakalgud route is almost same distance and shaves off about 45min of travel time. Only problem, there are no eateries post Channrayapatna.
I am travelling to Mangalore on Friday. I am a little confused between the various routes. What is exactly the Arakalgud route.

Where do we go from Arakalgud? Is it Arakalgud-Madikeri-Puttur-Mangalore?
Or you take the Kudremukh route
Old 13th June 2018, 10:43   #7661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
I am travelling to Mangalore on Friday. I am a little confused between the various routes. What is exactly the Arakalgud route.

Where do we go from Arakalgud? Is it Arakalgud-Madikeri-Puttur-Mangalore?
Or you take the Kudremukh route
I am travelling every week to Puttur and take Arakalgud route. For travelling upto Mangalore this is the best route currently. Route is Bangalore-Channrayapatna-Holenarsipura-Arakalgud-Kushalnagara-Madikeri-Sullia-Puttur-Mangalore.

You can take Mysore route if starting early in the morning or late in the night, else it consumes a lot of time.

Last edited by PrideRed : 13th June 2018 at 10:44.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 11:41   #7662
BHPian

Quote:

To Udupi, the Agumbe route (via Hiriyur-Hosadurga) is, according to me, the best option right now.

I took it two weeks back thanks to the suggestions here. You can read mine and unk9ja's posts here . Though longer, I don't think it will take more time comparatively.
Sangre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 13:57   #7663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
To Udupi, the Agumbe route (via Hiriyur-Hosadurga) is, according to me, the best option right now.
+1 to Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Agumbe - Udupi. Drove this a couple of months ago and was such a peaceful drive. Given the rains and landslides around charmadi, jayapura etc, I think Agumbe might makes more sense.

Do check my post here for more detailed updates. Plus pit stop options are available on this route, might be needed as you are travelling with kids:

6L till hiriyur hence quiet a few options
Hiriyur - Ajjampur - Tarikere - can stop here for a restroom break. Clean restroom https://goo.gl/maps/L4ngpVdS5qx
Also can visit Amritheswara temple @ amrithapura - beautiful hoysala temple https://goo.gl/maps/EycJz1EnUBC2

Not a lot of options in Tirthahalli - Agumbe stretch but just after Agumbe, you could stop at Seethanadi
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 14:35   #7664
BHPian

If the destination is Udupi or towards north, I prefer to take the Hassan-Belur-Chikkmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Hariharapura-Begar-Agumbe route as an alternate to Shiradi.

I am not sure about the current status after recent rains, but when I took this route during last week of May, roads were pretty good throughout. Chikkmagalur-Agumbe section is twisty but the traffic is sparse and very scenic too.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 15:43   #7665
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like all major ghats in KA have had some or the other issues over the last few days due to the heavy rains. God save all the folks travelling to Mysore/Mangalore this weekend as both Madikeri & Agumbe routes will be choc a block with traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img20180613wa0029.jpg  

procrj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks