Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2018, 11:03   #7711
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
On a weekday you can actually do Mysore - Madikeri - Sampaje - Sullya - BC Road - Mangalore.
Thanks for the suggestion. Went via Mysore->Madikeri->Sullya and the roads were good in most places. The total drive time was around 6hrs from the NICE road exit.
Had a great monsoon drive with slight to heavy rains in the ghats.

Last edited by ampere : 8th July 2018 at 15:27. Reason: Compacted quoted post
F2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 22:59   #7712
BHPian

I'm planning to visit Kukke this weekend. Thinking of taking CR Patna - HN Pura - Arakalagudu - Sullia route.
I had been to Kushalanagara about 7 months back, had taken Arakalagudu-Ramanthapura route and the road was good-great all the way till Ramanathapura.

I'm thinking of trying Shanivarasanthe - Somwarpete - Madikeri route as I remember reading rave reviews of the road last year (but haven't read any recent reviews). Is that route still recommended or do I need to take Ramanathapura route?

Charmadi would have been my pick if it was not for the closure of Shiradi (BTW, suprised that no one has taught Google about Shiradi closure till now!). Also, any scenic route with less traffic for the return?

Last edited by theredliner : 29th June 2018 at 23:07.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 08:32   #7713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Please avoid Agumbe Ghat, due to landslide/collapse it is closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
News says light vehicles are allowed, unsure how true is this.
Closed between 6pm and 6am as repairs are underway.

Road collapse in Agumbe is a very rare occurrence - I have not heard of it happening before. Then I noticed the red and blue cables and realised what the culprit was. Could also be that the recent road laying works disturbed the soil underneath making it unstable. Also notice the lack of trees in that particular place?
Old 30th June 2018, 09:26   #7714
BHPian

Travelled through charmadi ghats yesterday, 75 percent of the roads are in good condition, towards the corners the road condition is bad and at around afternoon time it was foggy, avoid night driving because of heavy fog in this area
Sri Vathsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 21:13   #7715
Senior - BHPian

Looks like another fortnight to open the Shiradi. While Charmadi gets ready for closure.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1530373343919.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1530373403996.jpg  

unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 22:32   #7716
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Looks like another fortnight to open the Shiradi.
As the newspaper clipping shows, why are they opening it without completing the shoulder and without a guardrail ? concrete will make it more slippery than tarmac when it rains, and it rains heavily in this stretch.
Old 1st July 2018, 08:18   #7717
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
As the newspaper clipping shows, why are they opening it without completing the shoulder and without a guardrail ? concrete will make it more slippery than tarmac when it rains, and it rains heavily in this stretch.
This is what they did when they opened the stretch that was first concretized the section from Donigal and there were already minor accidents reported then too. In fact during this instance I and a friend drove just one day before official inauguration and were shocked to notice the undone shoulders too. I remember posting some pictures right on this thread.

Undone shoulders,especially when the slab is that high is very dangerous not only when it rains but when driving under darkness and while facing glare from the oncoming traffic!
Old 1st July 2018, 23:16   #7718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I'm thinking of trying Shanivarasanthe - Somwarpete - Madikeri route as I remember reading rave reviews of the road last year (but haven't read any recent reviews). Is that route still recommended or do I need to take Ramanathapura route?

Did this route yesterday and is good all the way. However not recommended for driving in the night or when it is raining heavily. Lot of tree cover and blind curves.
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 13:25   #7719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Did this route yesterday and is good all the way. However not recommended for driving in the night or when it is raining heavily. Lot of tree cover and blind curves.
Thanks to your post, I took the route during the return journey and thoroughly enjoyed driving back due to the beautiful weather and minimal traffic. The Kushalanagara route that I took during the onward journey is so insipid in comparison.

Last edited by theredliner : 5th July 2018 at 13:26.
Old 5th July 2018, 15:12   #7720
BHPian

We also took the Madikeri somwarpet Shanivarsanthe Arkalgud, HN pura route and joined the NH at CR Patna on our return from Kukke 2 weeks ago.. Fabulous roads.. Lots of humps between Arkalgud and CR Patna.
Old 7th July 2018, 11:32   #7721
BHPian

Hi All,
On Monday I wanted to travel to Mangalore from Whitefield. Since Shiradi is still closed, and there were some news about Charmadi closure(for repair), what would be the fastest route to reach Mangalore?
Any help is appreciated.
Old 7th July 2018, 13:10   #7722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Hi All,
On Monday I wanted to travel to Mangalore from Whitefield. Since Shiradi is still closed, and there were some news about Charmadi closure(for repair), what would be the fastest route to reach Mangalore?
Any help is appreciated.
I guess holenarasipur-kushal nagar-madikeri will be faster for Mangalore side. I haven't been on this route since few months though
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 14:50   #7723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Hi All,
Since Shiradi is still closed, and there were some news about Charmadi closure(for repair), what would be the fastest route to reach Mangalore?
With Charmadi area, in general the entire coastal region, receiving heavy rains, Madikeri is your best/fastest option.

I drove Mlore-Ujire-Charmadi-Kottigehara-Hassan-Blore last Sunday. With rains pouring down, it was a very slow drive until Kottigehara, with frequent stops in between to let opposite traffic through.

With numerous waterfalls having come to life, a big nuisance was all the tourist vehicles (reg numbers no brainer) insanely parked for people to take a dip.
Got stuck again at Kottigehara for 15 mins due to vehicles parked all over for tea breaks.
In hindsight, I regret not having chosen Madikeri route that day.
Shubbi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 18:30   #7724
BHPian

I'm planning to visit Kukke in next couple of weeks. I believe the usual route is to go through Shiradi ghat after Sakleshpur. How is the condition of this route since it is raining heavily these days? Is there any other alternate route that can be considered?
Old 8th July 2018, 20:03   #7725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
I'm planning to visit Kukke in next couple of weeks. I believe the usual route is to go through Shiradi ghat after Sakleshpur. How is the condition of this route since it is raining heavily these days? Is there any other alternate route that can be considered?
Shiradi is closed since January and we are all eagerly waiting for it's reopening. You could go via madikeri route for now.

Do check for any updates on the shiradi opening by then
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed