Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2018, 17:34   #7846
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

So utterly confused here. I have a meeting on 28th Sept at 1.30 PM in Mangalore MG Road, so which is the fastest drivable route for a sedan and how early would I need to start?

Google shows Shiradi Ghat as open and fastest, is it advisable in the daytime?
Old 24th September 2018, 17:41   #7847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
So utterly confused here. I have a meeting on 28th Sept at 1.30 PM in Mangalore MG Road, so which is the fastest drivable route for a sedan and how early would I need to start?

Google shows Shiradi Ghat as open and fastest, is it advisable in the daytime?
In its present condition I don't see any reason why Shiradi can't be the right choice for Mangalore. Many of BHPians have taken it and few of my friends as well.

During the day, it's is definitely advised. Please stick to Shiradi if its Mangalore.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 22:16   #7848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In its present condition I don't see any reason why Shiradi can't be the right choice for Mangalore.
Until at least the proposed tunnel is dug, done and dusted with, Shiradi will remain the arterial passageway.

The current Government seems to be serious about implementing the project.

Quote:
Union government has proposed a combination of bridges and tunnels over 23-kms from Dakshina Kannada to Sakleshpur in Hassan via the Shiradi ghat... The Rs 10,000 crore project to be funded by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) to link Mangaluru with Bengaluru, aims to cut both travel time between the two cities and fuel consumption
Source

Quote:
The 22km tunnel project from Maranahalli to Gundya, first mooted in 2007 during minister H D Revanna’s earlier stint as the PWD minister, is likely to take shape now at a cost of Rs 12,000 crore.
Source

Interestingly, the same project was proposed at a cost of ₹3,000 crores in 2015!

Quote:
As the project costs over Rs 3,000 crore, the Centre is likely ask the Karnataka government to share the burden
Source
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 11:46   #7849

Hi All - I am planning to do Bangalore->Kukke Subrahmanya->Dharmastala->Bangalore this coming weekend with my family. Will leave early (Around 5am) on saturday and will start early (Around 11AM) on sunday for return drive.

Car: Ciaz.

I am looking for information on road conditions via Shiradi Ghat. Request you to please share the same.Any critical pointers in terms of road conditions will be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Old 25th September 2018, 15:43   #7850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 118pramod View Post
I am planning to do Bangalore->Kukke Subrahmanya->Dharmastala->Bangalore this coming weekend with my family. Will leave early (Around 5am) on saturday and will start early (Around 11AM) on sunday for return drive.
I'm also planning to visit Kukke and Dharmasthala from Bengaluru this Saturday with family. Mom insists that we extend our trip to Sringeri and Horanadu and come back on Monday. I haven't decided on it yet as I'm not aware of the road conditions.

Going by the recent posts on this thread, Shiradi ghat - although not in the best condition, is still the route to consider. Whenever we did BLR -> Kukke -> Dharmasthala -> BLR before, I have always taken Shiradi onwards and Charmadi to return. But thinking of sticking to Shiradi this time, if we are coming back from Dharmasthala.

Would love to meet and say hi to a fellow bhpian. If you find a grey Honda City with LTD sticker on the right side of rear bumper, with lazy speeds even on open highway, thats me

Last edited by ampere : 26th September 2018 at 15:23. Reason: Compacted quoted post
LazyGunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 16:45   #7851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
I'm also planning to visit Kukke and Dharmasthala from Bengaluru this Saturday with family. Mom insists that we extend our trip to Sringeri and Horanadu and come back on Monday. I haven't decided on it yet as I'm not aware of the road conditions.
Hi - Did this in mid August and I believe road conditions would be same. You can see my above quoted post for details. Have a safe and happy drive. Do please post your experiences.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th September 2018 at 17:53.
Old 26th September 2018, 02:20   #7852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 118pramod View Post
Car: Ciaz.

I am looking for information on road conditions via Shiradi Ghat. Request you to please share the same.Any critical pointers in terms of road conditions will be helpful.
Quote:
Going by the recent posts on this thread, Shiradi ghat - although not in the best condition, is still the route to consider. Whenever we did BLR -> Kukke -> Dharmasthala -> BLR before, I have always taken Shiradi onwards and Charmadi to return. But thinking of sticking to Shiradi this time, if we are coming back from Dharmasthala.
Shiradi is still the fastest option to Dharmasthala, Kukke or Mangalore. The roads are manageable even in a sedan. Did 2 back to back weekend trips to Mangalore in a Honda City 2017 model. There are a couple of rough sections between Hassan and the start of the concrete ghat section. One after passing Hassan and the second after passing Sakleshpur town.

Charmadi is at its worst condition as informed by my brother who took this route recently coupled with regular traffic blockages. Shiradi is currently a bliss with no heavy vehicles.
Old 26th September 2018, 10:42   #7853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
Hi - Did this in mid August and I believe road conditions would be same. You can see my above quoted post for details. Have a safe and happy drive. Do please post your experiences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post

Charmadi is at its worst condition as informed by my brother who took this route recently coupled with regular traffic blockages. Shiradi is currently a bliss with no heavy vehicles.
Thanks guys! This is the plan:

Saturday : BLR -> Kukke -> Sowthadka -> Dharmasthala
Sunday : Dharmasthala -> Kollur -> Sringeri
Monday : Sringeri -> Horanadu -> BLR

Only ghats I'll be travelling through are Shiradi and Agumbe. Decided to do Kollur on 2nd day to avoid Charmadi/Kudremukha stretch and to avoid driving 500+ on 3rd day.

Another thing I heard from a friend who visited Kukke last weekend - heavy vehicle drivers aren't happy that Shiradi is closed for them and are planning to stage a protest. From the news reports of last month, I gathered that the roads were damaged too much and there'll be no heavy vehicles allowed at least for another one or two months - till everything is repaired.

Let us see, I will post an update once I'm back.
Old 26th September 2018, 14:46   #7854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Would love to meet and say hi to a fellow bhpian. If you find a grey Honda City with LTD sticker on the right side of rear bumper, with lazy speeds even on open highway, thats me
I am also on the same route till Mangalore this Friday & Saturday, I am driving a very hard to miss Black Linea (rare commodity like a tiger) with "Save Tiger" sticker at the back

Last edited by motomaverick : 26th September 2018 at 14:47.
Old 26th September 2018, 20:07   #7855
BHPian

Quote:
Monday : Sringeri -> Horanadu -> BLR

Only ghats I'll be travelling through are Shiradi and Agumbe.
How do you intend to avoid charmadi on your horanadu > b'lore run?
Old 26th September 2018, 20:20   #7856
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
If he's doing Sringeri Horanadu BLR why is Charmadi coming into picture there? He will straightaway hit Kottigehara. Or am I missing something here?
Old 26th September 2018, 20:33   #7857
BHPian

Quote:
From Kalasa, one can either take Balehonnur - Aldur - Chikmagalur - Belur - Bangalore. This is currently patchy and semi-broken in some places. Overall, progress will be slower.

Or Kalasa - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Belur - Bangalore. This is in top notch condition.

I rode to Kudremukha last weekend. Took the former on the onward and the latter on the return.
Added_flavor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 21:02   #7858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I am also on the same route till Mangalore this Friday & Saturday, I am driving a very hard to miss Black Linea (rare commodity like a tiger) with "Save Tiger" sticker at the back
Planning to leave Mangalore around 5.30am on the 28th to Hassan via Shiradi (en route to Mysuru). Will be driving a white Abarth Punto with... well, a large scorpion on the roof. Let's see if the two "endangered" cars meet
Old 26th September 2018, 23:35   #7859
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If he's doing Sringeri Horanadu BLR why is Charmadi coming into picture there? He will straightaway hit Kottigehara. Or am I missing something here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Or Kalasa - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Belur - Bangalore. This is in top notch condition.
Yup, Kalasa -> Kottigehara -> Mudigere -> Belur -> BLR is the road I plan to take. Have done it before and I feel roads are really good.
Old 27th September 2018, 00:10   #7860
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, Kalasa -> Kottigehara -> Mudigere -> Belur -> BLR is the road I plan to take. Have done it before and I feel roads are really good.
My bad! I assume kottigehara to be a synonym for charmadi.

We should name this route as 'kudremukh' ghat.

Most Viewed