Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2018, 00:32   #7861
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
My bad! I assume kottigehara to be a synonym for charmadi.
Kottigehara is in fact the first town we get when we come out of Charmadi while driving from Dharmasthala/Ujire towards Mudigere. I always make a point to enjoy a plate of Neerdose and a cup of coffee by stopping here after covering Charmadi.

A deviation to left from Kottigehara will lead to kalasa and further to Horanadu. Another deviation to left from Kalasa will go to Kuduremukha - A route which I took on my first solo Enfield ride couple of years back where my only objective was to cover Shiradi, Charmadi, Kuduremukha and Agumbe ghats over 3 days and man what a ride it was!!

Basically two different ways to reach Horanadu from Dharmasthala:

1. Dharmasthala - Ujire - Belthangady - Bajegoli - Kuduremukha - Kalasa - Horanadu
2. Dharmasthala - Ujire - Charmadi - Kottigehara - Kalasa - Horanadu
LazyGunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 22:33   #7862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Planning to leave Mangalore around 5.30am on the 28th to Hassan via Shiradi (en route to Mysuru). Will be driving a white Abarth Punto with... well, a large scorpion on the roof. Let's see if the two "endangered" cars meet
First time on this route so not sure which place I will reach at what time but my car number is 7837 so in case we do see eachother 😀
Old 28th September 2018, 13:34   #7863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Planning to leave Mangalore around 5.30am on the 28th to Hassan via Shiradi (en route to Mysuru). Will be driving a white Abarth Punto with... well, a large scorpion on the roof. Let's see if the two "endangered" cars meet
I think they met just after Ossoor Hotel in Sakleshwar. Was yours a white Abarth?

Route Update:

Just took the Shiradi ghats road to Mangalore, no issues at all. 4 lane work going on at a lot of places so need to be a little careful but no issues with road surface. Reached Mangalore in 6 hrs driving time.

Last edited by motomaverick : 28th September 2018 at 13:36.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 14:31   #7864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I think they met just after Ossoor Hotel in Sakleshwar. Was yours a white Abarth?
Yes! Spotted the Tiger just off Sakleshpur! Next time you come to Mangalore we should actually meet.

Concur with your road condition assessment. Just want to add that the land slips work on Shiradi ghats is all on the left while driving from Sakleshpur to Gundiya. So those descending the ghats need to be extra cautious especially at nights. Traffic was very sparse.

Last edited by cogWheel : 28th September 2018 at 14:33.
Old 28th September 2018, 16:23   #7865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThilakNex View Post
For those who would like to know the road condition of the route Bangalore > Chikmagalur > Jayapura > Hariharapura > Agumbe > Udupi/Mangalore/Kundapura can watch the below vlog.
Agumbe ghat road vlog will be uploaded soon.
Ok, Here is the continued part. This video should give you the fair idea of Agumbe ghat road's present condition. I see no point in not trying this. Please note this was shot on 12 Sep 2018.

ThilakNex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 21:18   #7866
Senior - BHPian

Is sampaje ghat open to traffic?
Madikeri Sullya Jalsoor stretch.
Old 29th September 2018, 13:20   #7867
BHPian

Planning a two day trip to Udupi from Bangalore.
Will start on a Saturday and return on Sunday.

Which is the best route to take on a weekend ?
Choice is between Shiradi and Agumbe for me but unable to decide which would be better.
Will be having kids and elders on board so priority is to take a route with lesser travel time, food options and minimal ghat stretch driving.
Also, if Shiradi is the best option, please advice on the route to be taken after Sakleshpur towards Udupi
Old 30th September 2018, 08:39   #7868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
Planning a two day trip to Udupi from Bangalore.
Will start on a Saturday and return on Sunday.

Which is the best route to take on a weekend ?
Shiradi is still your best choice. Just look out for odd potholes in between Hassan and Sakleshpura
Choice is between Shiradi and Agumbe for me but unable to decide which would be better.
As mentioned, Shiradi is safest bet.
Will be having kids and elders on board so priority is to take a route with lesser travel time, food options and minimal ghat stretch driving.
The Shiradi is now a breeze to drive with sweeping corners which does not feel like a ghat. Lots of food options on the route right from Nelamangala to Udupi. Swati delicacy, Mayura, Dhruvathare are some before Hassan. Raama in Hassan, Surabhi, oosoor in Sakleshpura, Aditya in Uppinangadi, Laxmi Nivas in Kalladka are some good ones.
Also, if Shiradi is the best option, please advice on the route to be taken after Sakleshpur towards Udupi
It is no nonsense route with route boards accompanying all the way. Look out for the freshly laid culverts on the Gundya Mangalore stretch. You have to take a few in low gears. Take the Nantoor bypass and right turn at the circle will ensure you on the Udupi highway. Bad roads (Top layer of asphalt has given away, so the ride is bumpy) till Surathkal toll, thereafter excellent till you hit Udupi.

Answers against your queries.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th September 2018 at 10:33. Reason: edited
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 15:29   #7869
BANNED

As per local news, buses are allowed to pass via shiradi ghat from OCT 3 ,some good news finally.
https://www.prajavani.net/stories/st...rt-577674.html
Old 1st October 2018, 21:48   #7870
Senior - BHPian

Charmadi Ghat road is occasionally blocked due to vehicle breakdowns and accidents. With its jurisdiction extending to two different districts and police station limits, commuters often find it difficult to move ahead - up or down the ghat.

In light of this, authorities have pressed into service a free crane called Parashuram, capable of clearing even heavy vehicles off the road. If you are ever stranded there, do contact 7899117852 / 9449706061 and avail the service free of cost.

Source: Prajavani, Mangaluru edition, Dt: 01/10/2018.

Last edited by dailydriver : 1st October 2018 at 22:18.
Old 4th October 2018, 20:21   #7871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
Thanks guys! This is the plan:

Saturday : BLR -> Kukke -> Sowthadka -> Dharmasthala
Sunday : Dharmasthala -> Kollur -> Sringeri
Monday : Sringeri -> Horanadu -> BLR
Let us see, I will post an update once I'm back.
Had to cancel the drive due to a medical emergency to a family member. Looking forward to do the trip in November when Kannada Rajyothsava offers another potential long weekend
Old 6th October 2018, 12:21   #7872
mvp
BHPian

We have planned to drive to Udupi and Kukke Subramanya as per schedule below:

7th Oct morning start : Bangalore to Udupi
8th Oct afternoon start: Udupi to Kukke Subramanya
9th Oct afternoon start: Kukke Subramanya to Bangalore

Considering the monsoon conditions expected during this period, please advise if we could continue with the plan or postopone the trip to a later date.

Thanks,
Old 6th October 2018, 22:34   #7873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp View Post
Considering the monsoon conditions expected during this period, please advise

I was in the same predicament yesterday after seeing all those news items about impending heavy rainfall in the coastal and Malnad regions.

Nevertheless, decided to make the trip from Bangalore to Udupi today. Started at 5 am and drove to Udupi in 7 hours.

Didn't encounter rainfall anywhere along the way. It was bright, sunny and sweltering hot in Mangalore and Udupi, though the Google forecast said that there's a thunderstorm happening.
perty is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 16:37   #7874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
I was in the same predicament yesterday after seeing all those news items about impending heavy rainfall in the coastal and Malnad regions.

Nevertheless, decided to make the trip from Bangalore to Udupi today. Started at 5 am and drove to Udupi in 7 hours.

Didn't encounter rainfall anywhere along the way. It was bright, sunny and sweltering hot in Mangalore and Udupi, though the Google forecast said that there's a thunderstorm happening.
Hi Team,

I am planning a trip to Dharmastala & Kukke with my family on my City Zx on 17th Oct. I am an early bird so plans to start early morning time say 5am. We have to return to bangalore by 20th evening.

The plan is to visit Kukke first and head towards DSL. I read lot of threads regarding the route queries, however still looking for latest updates as recent road conditions are very volatile and thanks to inconsistent rains.

I have the following queries, nevertheless would have answered umpteen times, but considering the current road condition please advice :

1. Is it best to visit Kukke first and then DSL so that distance traveled is optimum and with good road taken. (GC of city is low :(
2. If yes - what is the best route from Bangalore.
3. Which all are the nearby temples that can combine so that we would not drive more than an hour between each temple.
4. We also plans to visit mangalore along with this - so can we visit these 2 temples and make our halt at Mangalore by not late than 7pm.

Plan A
Visit Kukke, DSL and any other nearby temples in day 1 and 2. Day 2 Drive back to Sakleshpur/Chikmaglur and stay in resort. (2 night stay)
Day 3 start back to bnglr.

Plan B :
Visit Kukke, DSL and head to Mangalore for halt. Day 2 and 3 cover Mookambika, Udipi and mangalore beaches. Day 4 morning start to bnglr.

Please suggest with your best options if you have tried similar travel plans.

Thanks
Prsn

Last edited by prsnck : 7th October 2018 at 16:39.
Old 8th October 2018, 10:29   #7875
BHPian

I have planned a trip with family (2 Kids and Wife) starting tomorrow as follows. The plan is start at 7 AM in the morning -

9th - Bangalore to Udupi via Hassan, Chikamagalur, Balehonnur and Sringeri. I will be visiting the Sringeri Temple and proceeding towards Udupi. We will be staying at Udupi
10th - Local Udupi Visits
11th - Kollur Temple - Maravanthe and return to Udupi
12th - Murudeshwara and Jog Falls. We will be staying near Jog Falls
13th - Visit places close to Jog Falls
14th - Return to Bangalore from Jog Falls via Soraba, Ranebennur, Davanagere, Tumkur and Bangalore.

I am visiting the Western Ghat after a long time and have no idea about the road conditions. Any suggestion regarding the road conditions and things to be aware off is welcome

I will be driving Duster and will avoid night drive as mush as possible.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks