Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2019, 10:50   #8041
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
Thanks a lot Parag. So with a 4am start, you have any suggestion of good veg hotel we get to stop say between 8-8.30 am time. Hassan should be over that time I believe.

Rgrds
Prsn
Hassan will be too early because you will take 2.5 hours at max to reach here from Bangalore at that time but still you can try Hotel Raama if you are running a bit late.

After this, anywhere before or at Sakaleshpur makes sense and here are your options:

The Ossoor

Surabhis Veg Restaurant

Surabhi's NX
Old 14th March 2019, 16:46   #8042
Senior - BHPian

Off late, my 0500hrs start has landed me at HVR Veg in Hassan. A quaint small place in a bylane with parking being a bit of issue during peak hours. Mouth watering Dosas or masala idly with the vada served on a plantain leaf has been my favorite combo here. There are 2 tables to sit and small counter to stand and eat at this place, but the food always brings a huge smile to my face and satisfaction to my stomach.

Google plus code here: 2465+P9

Gmaps location here: https://goo.gl/maps/gHtxa9CPuhH2

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20181021_081328_hdr.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 18:44   #8043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Off late, my 0500hrs start has landed me at HVR Veg in Hassan.
Looks Good!

Do we have to get into town to reach this place OR is it accessible off Bypass?
Old 14th March 2019, 19:17   #8044
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Do we have to get into town to reach this place OR is it accessible off Bypass?
Quite inside this one is and makes sense only if you specifically want to get in and eat here (few of us do!).

You can either reach here by getting off bypass at Mysore Road Intersection or take the Hassan Ring Road and reach this from the other side. But as I said, you do this only if you are one of those who wouldn't mind the detour into the town to relish this.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 22:39   #8045
Senior - BHPian

Ossoor location is nice but never liked the food quality or the service.
I felt Surabhi is good in all the departments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Hassan will be too early because you will take 2.5 hours at max to reach here from Bangalore at that time but still you can try Hotel Raama if you are running a bit late.

After this, anywhere before or at Sakaleshpur makes sense and here are your options:

The Ossoor

Surabhis Veg Restaurant

Surabhi's NX

Last edited by lohithrao : 20th March 2019 at 22:40.
Old 21st March 2019, 04:32   #8046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Had been to Surabhi on my recent trip and ordered for the safest idly vada sambar. The idly, vada and sambar tasted below average. I was there at around 8 and was expecting everything to be fresh, but it did not taste fresh.

Not sure if it was only me as i have been a regular at Mayura (Bellur cross) for quite some time now. This time i had to skip Mayura as I was passing this rather too early.
fast_elegance is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 07:15   #8047
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Had been to Surabhi on my recent trip and ordered for the safest idly vada sambar. The idly, vada and sambar tasted below average. I was there at around 8 and was expecting everything to be fresh, but it did not taste fresh.
I stick to Mythri when I need eat around Sakleshpura.

BTW, my info is now outdated. I haven't driven this route in 14 months. I still travel between Bangalore-Udupi two times a month. Since it has become very difficult to obtain 2-week temp parking at my Bangalore apartment, I have pretty much stopped driving up and down.
Old 21st March 2019, 09:29   #8048
BHPian

In the recent past, have always stopped at 'Shiva Sagar'(Just before Kunigal) for breakfast, en-route to M'lore. I always have 'tatte idly' and in the mornings it will be served with piping hot sambar. Chutney is also spicier, and to my liking.

Most of the times, will reach M'lore for lunch. Certain times, have stopped at Adithya@Uppinangady for some refreshments. This is a decent place and recommended. If NOT, further ahead stop at Laxmi@Kalladka for meals. Its low on ambience, but food is good.
JMaruru is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 09:42   #8049
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ossoor location is nice but never liked the food quality or the service.
I have used this place strictly for Bio breaks, especially when family is around and had Coffee which tasted good for the region it belongs to.

While one may get plenty of places for breakfast enroute, getting places with proper restrooms is a challenge.

Quote:
Not sure if it was only me as i have been a regular at Mayura (Bellur cross) for quite some time now. This time i had to skip Mayura as I was passing this rather too early.
Mayura is always nostalgic because this was the first (branch of the same one that exists inside Bus Stand Complex) good restaurant on this entire route and was well established. We were here for breakfast in December when 2 dads took their kids out to various locations in Malenadu. We ordered Idly Vada (Sambar dipped as we like it that way). It tasted the same as before and Vadas were bigger compared to usual standards. It still gets the same crowd that it used to before with a lot of KA18, KA13 and KA46 cars parked inside the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
In the recent past, have always stopped at 'Shiva Sagar'(Just before Kunigal) for breakfast, en-route to M'lore. I always have 'tatte idly' and in the mornings it will be served with piping hot sambar. Chutney is also spicier, and to my liking.
This is the same place which was earlier known as Siddalingeshwara Cafe. A place inside Kunigal town next to the Police Station that became famous for serving the best in town thatte ildies shifted based to the outskirts soon after bypass opened but the owner partnered with someone else and things didn't go well and he moved back to town again and we still visit him followed by the next break at CCD for obvious reasons .

I had referred this restaurant few years before on this post. On clicking the URL you will see its the same Shiva Sagar you are referring too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is the same canteen that earliest existed inside Kunigal town next to the Police Station & Opposite to Govt. School.

On Popular demand and the fact that the bypass became operational, he moved it to this location: <Sree Siddalingeshwara Cafe>

A very generic statement due to a lot of reasons:
Now we don't visit him but prefer thatte idlies of the original owner who serves them with the curry and chutney instead of Sambar.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st March 2019 at 09:44.
Old 21st March 2019, 09:53   #8050
BHPian

Quote:
Never order idli Vadas in the hotels in and around Sakleshpura. For some reason taste is below par compared to other places. Many people who travel regularly would agree on this I think.
Old 21st March 2019, 09:56   #8051
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Never order idli Vadas in the hotels in and around Sakleshpura. For some reason taste is below par compared to other places. Many people who travel regularly would agree on this I think.
At Surabhi my usual pick has always been Akki Rotti. They have been consistent with this. Also their Goli Bajjis are good too.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 11:18   #8052
Senior - BHPian

Maybe I have been lucky , In last 6months have visited this place twice and I felt the food quality was decent, also I like the tea here.
However, most restaurants don't maintain quality, and its possible that the quality of food vary often.

I only order Idli/Vada/Dosa/Akki Roti and I am referring to Surabhi Nx

Quote:

Old 22nd March 2019, 05:59   #8053
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe I have been lucky ,

I only order Idli/Vada/Dosa/Akki Roti and I am referring to Surabhi Nx
I was referring to the Surabhi that is present inside the town opposite Manjarabad club.

Never visited Surabhi Nx and probably should try here next time around.
Old 22nd March 2019, 12:57   #8054
BHPian

One can plan to have good thatte idlis and vadas at Shark Food Court. They also serve dosas. The place is immediately after Solur (before Kunigal) and on to your left while travelling towards Hassan.
Old 22nd March 2019, 21:52   #8055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
All - Is bisle ghat open currently all the way post last year's floods ? I have a full day to return from Subaramanya to bangalore and planning to take this route. Haven't travelled on this road since 2011.
For anyone needing this info : took bisle ghat road from subramanya to Hassan. Takes about 30 mins more as compared with the highway thru Gundya. 3 kms of stretch ending 5 kms before the bisle ghat view point is kuchcha/broken but no craters etc. Similarly 1 km of a stretch around Patla is kuchcha/broken and nothing serious. Otherwise, most of the ghat stretches are concretised and pretty good.

I could have taken the shanivarasanthe - arakalgud - CR patna route from vanagur but had to make a mandatory visit to Sakaleshpur so took the vanagur - byakaravalli route.

Seems the road has become more commodity - with a number Blr vehicles plying. No thrills that one used to associate this road with in say 2009-2010
airguitar is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed