Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2019, 22:22   #8056
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Today, I did a solo round trip from Bangalore to Dharmasthala after almost 8 years. What intended to be a relaxed drive turned into a race from Sakleshpura, a man in his early 30's travelling with his family got after me in his Figo. So it took me 4.5 hours to reach Dharmasthala, I had a peaceful darshan at the temple and returned back via Charmadi to home. Some road work is in progress at 2-3 places on Charmadi route, otherwise the roads are good till Belur.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 19:28   #8057
BHPian

Hi,

I'm planning for a road-trip beginning Thu, 28-Mar to cover the following places:

Bangalore-Udupi-Anegudde-Kollur-Kateel-Bangalore.

Looking to do this over 4 days i.e beginning Thu and returning Bangalore on Sunday.

Seeking help with below -

1. Is this itinerary doable in 4 days?
2. Routes?
3. Road conditions?
4. Stay options? Me, my wife and 2.5 year old daughter are travelling.
5. Food options for pure Veg family?

Please help.

TIA,
Prashanth
Old 26th March 2019, 07:21   #8058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
Hi,

I'm planning for a road-trip beginning Thu, 28-Mar to cover the following places:

Bangalore-Udupi-Anegudde-Kollur-Kateel-Bangalore.

Looking to do this over 4 days i.e beginning Thu and returning Bangalore on Sunday.

Seeking help with below -

1. Is this itinerary doable in 4 days?
2. Routes?
3. Road conditions?
4. Stay options? Me, my wife and 2.5 year old daughter are travelling.
5. Food options for pure Veg family?

Please help.

TIA,
Prashanth
Yes, it is doable in less than your scheduled time.
Bangalore, Hassan, Shiradi, BC road, Kateel through Polali, Udupi.
Udupi, Anegudde, Kollur
Kollur, Hulikal ghat, Nagara, Hosanagara, Ripponpete, Ayanur, Channagiri, Chitradurga, Tumakuru, Bangalore OR
Kollur, Kundapura, Agumbe, Thirthahalli, Maduba, Bhadra bypass, Lakkavalli, Hosadurga, Hiriyur, Tumakuru, Bangalore
Road conditions are good to excellent in the above mentioned route.

Stay in Udupi: Kediyoor hotel
Not sure in Kollur

Food options:
Bangalore to Udupi
Swati delicacy, Dhruvathare, Mayura, Surabhi anf Oosoor in Sakleshpura, Aditya in Uppinangadi, Laxmi nivas in Kalladka
In Udupi, you have MTR, Saffron, New Shanthi Sagar near Corporation Bank, Sagar rathna in Ocean pearl. There is one more Shanthi Sagar in front of bus stand, please avoid that.
On the way to Kundapura, you get Latha hotel in Kota. Excellent local cuisine like menthya dose, buns, goli baje are available. Landmark is Halavu makkala thayi temple which is bang in front of this hotel.
Not sure of food options in and around Kollur.

While coming back, there are lot of options on the NH and bigger towns.

Hope that helps.
unk9ja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 09:39   #8059
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Has anyone traveled from Bangalore to Mangalore via Madikeri -> Sampaje -> Puttur route recently? Just wanted to get an idea of the current road conditions.

Regards
Rahulb22
Old 27th March 2019, 12:46   #8060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Off late, my 0500hrs start has landed me at HVR Veg in Hassan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Looks Good!
Do we have to get into town to reach this place OR is it accessible off Bypass?
Off the travel topic - these folks have a branch/unit in Sheshadripuram, Bangalore as well. Landmark: Opp to Chaitanya Techno School.

null is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 12:56   #8061
BHPian

For stay at Kollur: Mahalaxmi Residency: just next to temple.

Sakleshpur - Surabhi any day over Ossoor of late. I'm an Ossoor fan- I always stop there but the drop in quality and service is very apparent.

To avoid crowd on Hassan road, I stop at Anagha for breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Yes, it is doable in less than your scheduled time.
Bangalore, Hassan, Shiradi, BC road, Kateel through Polali, Udupi.
Udupi, Anegudde, Kollur
Kollur, Hulikal ghat, Nagara, Hosanagara, Ripponpete, Ayanur, Channagiri, Chitradurga, Tumakuru, Bangalore OR
Kollur, Kundapura, Agumbe, Thirthahalli, Maduba, Bhadra bypass, Lakkavalli, Hosadurga, Hiriyur, Tumakuru, Bangalore
Road conditions are good to excellent in the above mentioned route.

Stay in Udupi: Kediyoor hotel
Not sure in Kollur

Food options:
Bangalore to Udupi
Swati delicacy, Dhruvathare, Mayura, Surabhi anf Oosoor in Sakleshpura, Aditya in Uppinangadi, Laxmi nivas in Kalladka
In Udupi, you have MTR, Saffron, New Shanthi Sagar near Corporation Bank, Sagar rathna in Ocean pearl. There is one more Shanthi Sagar in front of bus stand, please avoid that.
On the way to Kundapura, you get Latha hotel in Kota. Excellent local cuisine like menthya dose, buns, goli baje are available. Landmark is Halavu makkala thayi temple which is bang in front of this hotel.
Not sure of food options in and around Kollur.

While coming back, there are lot of options on the NH and bigger towns.

Hope that helps.
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:04   #8062
Distinguished - BHPian

Election checking enroute:

Had driven to Sakaleshpur - Belur - Chikmagalur and back last Sunday with family to attend personal events and apart from the very fact that roads remain as they were since last update, please factor in adequate time in your journey for election check-points.

Between Nelamangala and Sakleshpur, there are at least 2. Between Hassan and Belur there is one. Between Chikmagalur and Belur there is one.

I could notice super long queues at each of these check-points when I passed early morning and was expecting the same when I returned late in the night.

Every car was checked, irrespective of whether you were driving with family or solo or a group of friends. My usual practice of switching off headlights, turning on cabin lights and rolling down the window didn't earn me a free passage like last election and the guards still asked me to get down and open the boot of my car and allowed me to leave with a "Thank you Sir" acknowledgement. We are 2 Gents, 2 Ladies and 3 Kids but this didn't make any difference.

I guess the checking this election season is stricter (at least from my own experience of driving on these roads). So plan your travel accordingly as during return we may have wasted 20+ minutes in all 3 checkpoints that we passed with last one near Kunigal taking at least 10 minutes with many Bangalore bound cars returning home on a Sunday night.

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd April 2019 at 11:05.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:30   #8063
Senior - BHPian

Planning to drive to Chikmagalur with family and friends (Xylo and Ertiga) on 18th April at 10.00 am after casting our votes. Hope there will be no problems en-route on voting day !
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 22:25   #8064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Planning to drive to Chikmagalur with family and friends (Xylo and Ertiga) on 18th April at 10.00 am after casting our votes. Hope there will be no problems en-route on voting day !
I was itching to type this from almost a fortnight but had refrained for fear of becoming a fear monger! Now that you have popped the question, let me place the gun on your shoulder and fire .

There have been preparations among the local youth for some sort of voting vigilantism. They plan to station themselves near the town entrances and popular eateries to check whether the incoming out of towners have shirked their democratic duty and come holidaying! Although it is not a legally tenable exercise, having seen them do much more/worse, I can imagine the trouble they might end up causing.

Since you are anyway leaving after casting your vote, it will be safe in Chikkamagaluru. But can't say the same of the path you will be treading. For, you will be passing through three major and hotly-bitterly contested Lok Sabha constituencies.

Please take care.

PS: I neither support nor endorse the aforementioned plan of action. But as a responsible citizen, I do believe everyone should fulfill their constitutional responsibilities.
dailydriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 10:09   #8065
Distinguished - BHPian

A LOT of options have come up on this road, especially the stretch from Nelamnagala to Hassan. Thought it was best to consolidate the list and have handy to refer when queries regarding ideal locations to break for food is asked. Couple of them like Dhruvataare, Shree Rathnam, Anagha, Taj have come up in the last 6-8 months and definitely offer a a better experience when compared to typical Bus-stand hotels that once mushroomed this section.

(Click on any of the names in the list to get the Google-maps location)
Towards Mangalore:
  1. Udupi Garden
  2. Sambrama Hotel
  3. Annapoorneshwari Veg Restaurant
  4. Shark Food Court
  5. Radhakrishna Udupi
  6. Shiva Sagar - Average Rest Rooms
  7. New Anand Bhavan - Average Food & Rest Rooms, lots of buses stop here
  8. Taj Restaurant
  9. Kamat Upachar
  10. Kichchana Halli Mane
  11. Hotel Dhruvatare
  12. Shree Rathnam
  13. Hotel Mayura
  14. Hotel Anagha
  15. A2B
  16. Café 75
  17. Vidhata Restaurant - 3 Popular Dhabas here have now converted to proper restaurants next to each other

Inside Hassan:
  1. Mallige Residency
  2. Aishwarya Veg
  3. Sri Krishna
  4. Suvarna Regency
  5. Hotel Raama - Closest to Bypass
  6. Mayura International- Closest to Bypass

Hassan - Sakaleshpur - BC Road:
  1. The Ossoor
  2. Surabhi's Veg
  3. Mythri Restaurant
  4. Surabhi's NX
  5. Navarathna Pure Veg

Between Hassan - Bangalore:
  1. Suruchi Restaurant
  2. Sri Krishna Bhavan
  3. Kamat Upachar
  4. Murali Miltry Hotel
  5. Malgudi - Average Food and Rest rooms
  6. Mayura
  7. Adiga's Grand Veg
  8. Swati Delicacy - It is better to stop here than Mayura or Adiga's. Easy access from opposite side too
  9. Empire

Cafe Coffee Days:
  1. @ Bellur Cross - Towards Hassan
  2. @ Udyapura - Towards Bangalore
  3. @Jaladagere between Bellur Cross and Kunigal - Towards Bangalore

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th April 2019 at 10:11.
paragsachania is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 09:03   #8066
BHPian

Thanks to this thread, I had a peaceful drive last weekend through Shiradi ghat route. And what a scenic route it was!

Fly in the ointment is Fastag, which can be renamed as slowtag around Mangalore, people walk around with hand held scanner and they are usually sleeping or playing games on mobile somewhere. Someone needs to yell at them to move their backside.

Election checking is full blown and like mentioned earlier in this thread they don't spare anyone. I had a wife and a toddler, and I don't look anywhere close to a party worker. Still they didn't spare my suitcase. Appreciate that they are checking thoroughly.

The ghat section has concrete roads, hoot to drive in a good cornering car; I was laughing wild in diesel polo.

The restaurants list helped a lot. I stopped in Swati Delicacy twice, liked good food and coffee. My bar for any South Indian hotel is how good can he make idli and how crisp the vadas are. Passed both ways.
There's polar bear next to it too, in case you are craving for desserts. Good parking space. Clean restrooms.
Stopped at Ossoor, for lunch while coming back, waiter was rude, ignorant and didn't know the difference between normal coffee and special coffee! Being in Sakleshpur, I cannot forgive him for this!
I ended up drinking IBC coffee, which was heavenly though. Lunch was average.

Took around 7 hours between Udupi and Bangalore both ways including ~45 mins breaks.
shrinath_m2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 11:25   #8067
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
There's polar bear next to it too, in case you are craving for desserts. Good parking space. Clean restrooms.
Polar Bear earlier used to close as early as 22:00. Now it stays open beyond 23:00 as well. We often head that side for a post dinner drive and savour some desserts here.

This single location has multiple choices but Swati remains the leader of this gang here, LOL!

Similarly, the A2B complex too has many restaurants including Miltry Hotels and Andhra Restaurants but as a brand, its A2B that takes the cake and easy to mention for a traveller.

Again, in the list (no 17) too had 3 Dhabas next to each other, family friendly and existed since more than 2 decades and now trying to catch-up with the rest of them around here, each of them have converted their Dhabas into proper restaurants.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 11:33   #8068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
There seems to be one more that's gaining popularity next to Ossoor.
Imperial Heritage. Recent reviews show that Ossoor is loosing slowly to this one.
shrinath_m2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 11:47   #8069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
There seems to be one more that's gaining popularity next to Ossoor.
Imperial Heritage. Recent reviews show that Ossoor is loosing slowly to this one.
Couple of new ones are going to come up in few months, around Ballupet and before Sakleshpur too.

Ossoor also has a property that they picked between Belur and Chikkamagaluru near the village or Kanayakanahalli and their board remains since nearly 8 months now with no signs of opening.
Old 18th April 2019, 12:34   #8070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
[*]Shiva Sagar - Average Rest Rooms
The restaurant 'Shiva Sagar' is closed. On 9th, on my way to M'lore the shutters were down. On my way back to B'lore on 16th, I stopped to check out and could speak to a person, who said it is undergoing renovation. Not sure, whether the earlier owners have taken a exit.

Any other decent 'Tatte Idly' options around this place? This was ideal on my way to M'lore for Breakfast options and on return for Light Lunch.

Most Viewed