Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2019, 09:23   #8146
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Latest update from my cousin who travelled from Bangalore to Mangalore via Shiradi yesterday, 11th August, Sunday.

Shiradi was open for traffic with actually minimal traffic and no waterlogging encountered anywhere. However, they encountered heavy rains on the Gundya-Uppinangadi stretch.

Cheers

Rahulb22
Old 12th August 2019, 10:43   #8147
BHPian

Quick check here. I need to travel to Kundapur on Wednesday. Planning to leave Bangalore by around 2pm. I did see here that Agumbe ghats are open. Any idea on Hulikal ghats?(ie via thirthahalli, Mulubagilu,hulikal,siddapura, ampar). Which is a better option?
Old 12th August 2019, 13:58   #8148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Quick check here. I need to travel to Kundapur on Wednesday. Planning to leave Bangalore by around 2pm. I did see here that Agumbe ghats are open. Any idea on Hulikal ghats?(ie via thirthahalli, Mulubagilu,hulikal,siddapura, ampar). Which is a better option?
Starting at 2 means you will be near the ghat roads by nightfall, whichever route you take. If it has stopped raining there should not be any problem. In case of rain and fast winds, there might be tree falls which will take around 2 hours to clear. So be prepared for that. It's recommended to travel in the day unless it's absolutely necessary.
_chikku is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 18:36   #8149
BHPian

Is it possible to reach Kalasa by any route?
I want to go by Duster/Innova to carry food supplies to some friends at Kalasa.
Old 12th August 2019, 19:59   #8150
BHPian

https://twitter.com/DCDK9/status/116...219838471?s=20

Shiradi is now open
Old 12th August 2019, 21:23   #8151
Senior - BHPian

After a days break it has started to rain again in Mangalore, avoid traveling at night.
Old 13th August 2019, 09:35   #8152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Just reached MLR from BLR. Took the below route
CR Patna - Holenarsipura - Arkalgud - Shanivarasanthe - Somwarpete - Madikeri - Sullia - Puttur - MLR.
Had to take a deviation at Holenarsipura and Arkalgud as the roads were flooded. The deviations were short but were very tricky as it was narrow and slushy. Rest of the route was fine but encountered medium to heavy rains throughout.
Some of the sections between Shanivarasanthe - Sampaje looked like they were just cleared of landslides and tree falls.
Took about 10 hours to cover the distance.

Did a similar route last Saturday - CR Patna - Holenarsipura - Arkalgud - Kodlipet - Magalu - destination near Buggadahalli village. Two deviations at Holenarsipura and Arkalgud like you said - we were willing to drive through and risk it but were not allowed. Deviated through bund roads that were slushy and narrow. Rains were easing off when we returned yesterday via Balupet but I heard that Shiradi ghat was open but that was yesterday. Today might be different.
Old 13th August 2019, 15:39   #8153
BHPian

Took Shiradi Ghat to get back to Hassan today. All the mudslides have been cleared and the ghat is open for public. Rains have subsided now in Malnad region so there are fewer chances landslide. Waterlogged Sakleshpur town has returned back to normalcy. So the ghat is safe as of now.
avaneesh. is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 11:43   #8154
Senior - BHPian

Charmadi Ghat road might take months to open - https://www.daijiworld.com/news/news...OI7cc0N2YRQKms
Old 15th August 2019, 17:44   #8155
BHPian

Today I drove from Bangalore to Kundapura. Rain Gods seem to have taken a break as I did not encounter them expect for some drizzle in between.
Took Hassan - CKM - Sringeri - Agumbe route. Road conditions are still good except for some random potholes compared to my previous drive in the last week of May. More importantly it is clear of any obstructions caused by recent rain. I was expecting heavy traffic due to holiday and long weekend. To my surprise it was very sparse.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 11:37   #8156
BHPian

I had been to Kalasa and back on 14th August, from Bangalore with relief materials.
Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Magundi-Kalasa route was just good enough. Most of the landslide affected sections have tree trunks, precariously settled on the road side. Some parts were very skushy.

I guess if the torrential rains continue, this route will see more landslides. Kalasa-Kelagur-Kottigehara route was not open. Avoid these roads unless there is an urgent need to go. Definitely, not a good idea going after Chikmagalur for holidaying.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 04:11   #8157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Today I drove from Bangalore to Kundapura. Rain Gods seem to have taken a break as I did not encounter them expect for some drizzle in between.
Took Hassan - CKM - Sringeri - Agumbe route. Road conditions are still good except for some random potholes compared to my previous drive in the last week of May. More importantly it is clear of any obstructions caused by recent rain. I was expecting heavy traffic due to holiday and long weekend. To my surprise it was very sparse.

I drove from Kadapa to Kollur temple today via Bangalore. As it was late night,I took Mangalore route but the road condition is pretty bad. I plan to use the above route while returning back.
rahulskumar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 08:20   #8158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
I drove from Kadapa to Kollur temple today via Bangalore. As it was late night,I took Mangalore route but the road condition is pretty bad. I plan to use the above route while returning back.
You mean you took Shiradi ghat route?
Which exact section is bad?
Old 17th August 2019, 08:33   #8159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
You mean you took Shiradi ghat route?
Which exact section is bad?

Yes,I came along Shiradi ghats. I cannot exactly tell which section but I can provide a range. 100 kms before reaching Mangalore (except last 20 kms ) is bad. It was full of potholes. Moreover plenty of heavy vehicles use high beam along with additional auxilary lights making it difficult to drive

Last edited by rahulskumar : 17th August 2019 at 08:34.
rahulskumar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 17:04   #8160
BHPian

Today I returned from Kundapur and took the same Agumbe - Sringeri - CKM - Hassan route. Did not encounter any rain whatsoever throughout. Initial plan was to take Shiradi since I was starting very early at 4AM. But after seeing the above post by rahulskumar, I took the risk of taking Agumbe so early in the morning. In my earlier post when I took Shiradi in the month of May I had expressed by reluctance to go by that route. It was not good that time itself and recent rains must have made the really bad.
@rahulskumar, please be careful if you are planning to return by Agumbe - CKM route. First, it is narrow(1.5 lane) for most part of it. Second, roads are very twisty and winding throughout. Third, there are no decent options for food or bio breaks. If you are comfortable with these then only take this route. Otherwise stick to Shiradi.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks