Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2019, 12:45   #8236
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

As per kannada daily, Agumbe is open for heavy vehicles now.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-15715556835098837536229363071594.jpg  

_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 17:21   #8237
BHPian

Last weekend when i returned via Sakaleshpur saw the dreadful situation of roads until Hassan from Puttur. It appears situation got even worse now and twitter campaigns are on to gather some attention.

Also , there is a report of 8 hour long jam near this town. God save commuters.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 21:18   #8238
BHPian

Presently stuck in huge pile up of vehicles around donigal. A truck carrying timber has broken down in one of the turns before the concrete stretch starts. The road condition is horrible. I can see even SUV's struggling to move through the demon sized craters created here. Incessant rain is making situation worse. Please go through alternate routes and travel only if necessary
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20191020_210648.jpg  

avaneesh. is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 09:34   #8239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaneesh. View Post
Presently stuck in huge pile up of vehicles around donigal.
Newspapers reported 8 Hour long jam on the Friday night:

Traffic Hit For 8 Hours On Mangaluru - Bengaluru Highway

Reason quoted:
Quote:
Five lorries and two tankers got stuck in the potholes, affecting the vehicular traffic for around eight hours on the route from 2 am on Friday to 11 am on Saturday.
So forget SUVs, even trucks are finding it difficult to pass this section.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st October 2019 at 09:35.
Old 21st October 2019, 10:35   #8240
BHPian

Guys,

Hope this is the right thread to post this query-

We have planned a family trip to Sakleshpur from Bangalore on the Deepavali weekend. We have booked MOOKANANA resort for a couple of days of relaxation at the resort itself. It is completely a family group of 12 with parents and kids included.

Is this the right time to visit Sakleshpur? How is the weather expected to be?

What about the route from Bangalore to Sakleshpur? Which is the best route?

Those earlier posts about the massive jams and broken roads. Are they on the way?

We are in two SUVs and one hatch.
Old 21st October 2019, 12:00   #8241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
We have booked MOOKANANA resort for a couple of days of relaxation at the resort itself. It is completely a family group of 12 with parents and kids included.
We were there at the same resort for an office outing last Saturday and Sunday. We were 6 cars while 3 of us including myself took the CR Patna - Holenarasipura - Arkalgud - Shanivarsanthe - Koodurasthe, the other 3 cars went ahead via Sakleshpur.

I took the same route while returning as well mainly because of the current state of Sakleshpur - Hassan although you still have a choice of reaching here via Hassan - Alur but that will still make you drive on the Hassan - Sakaleshpur stretch.

Instead, I would say take the one via Holenarasipura. The roads are 90% good with occasional potholes and beyond anything, the drive itself will be peaceful soon after you exit at Channarayapatna.

More on the resort : One of our team mates booked this resort and we ended up having a bad time here. They have a huge dining area and a buffet system and right after we checked in, we saw many groups of people settling in and around the dining area with their liquor (Resort doesn't stock) and making a mess.

During dinner, we saw so many of them settled near the pool and few even inside the pool in whatever attire you could think of, all this well beyond 11PM. Also, the dining area was occupied majorly by the party animals and it is exactly then we felt this place is so unfit for families and kids!! It may be a coincidence that this happened on that fateful weekend but please take note.

The pool is badly maintained and for kids there is hardly anything to do unless you carry some material for outdoor games. The rooms are quite OK and average. Food too is average and inconsistent although not totally bad at all.

Bisile View Point is around 30 minutes drive and there is also a waterfalls closer to this place, easily accessible from the resort.

The Resort and the cottages:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20191012_141706.jpg

At Bisile view point:
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20191012_170815.jpg

At Mookannana falls:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-waterfalls.jpg

Sorry to be OT, but will I recommend this resort to anyone going with their family (Kids included)? - A definite no. After returning, I filtered the ratings with the lowest and most of those who stayed here echoed my thoughts.

I wish ours was a one time experience and you have a pleasant one to share.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st October 2019 at 12:10.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 12:11   #8242
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Bisile View Point is around 30 minutes drive and there is also a waterfalls closer to this place, easily accessible from the resort.
This part caught my attention since Bisle Ghat (at least upto the view point) has always been on my to do list but never materialised
Is Bisle ghat motorable in a normal/low GC hatchback/sedan now and what is the best route ? Would it be possible to enter from Shanivarasanthe side and exit via Kukke or just upto the view point and return ?
Old 21st October 2019, 12:17   #8243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This part caught my attention since Bisle Ghat (at least upto the view point) has always been on my to do list but never materialised
Is Bisle ghat motorable in a normal/low GC hatchback/sedan now and what is the best route ? Would it be possible to enter from Shanivarasanthe side and exit via Kukke or just upto the view point and return ?
I didn't go beyond the view point as we returned back to the resort that evening. The from Koodurasthe till the view point, except 300 meter stretch that has no tarmac, rest was all good. Any car can reach the view point.

However, Hemant Anand had driven here few weeks/months before.I recollect ProcRJ as well.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st October 2019 at 12:25.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 13:39   #8244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Hope this is the right thread to post this query-

We have planned a family trip to Sakleshpur from Bangalore on the Deepavali weekend. We have booked MOOKANANA resort for a couple of days of relaxation at the resort itself. It is completely a family group of 12 with parents and kids included.

Is this the right time to visit Sakleshpur? How is the weather expected to be?

What about the route from Bangalore to Sakleshpur? Which is the best route?

Those earlier posts about the massive jams and broken roads. Are they on the way?

We are in two SUVs and one hatch.
Yes this is a good time to visit, rains are decreasing and temperatures are kind a cool. The resort appears to be close to Bisile, you can take Blore, CRPatna, Shanivarsanthe route as suggested by Parag. The road from CR Patna to Bisile has plenty of road humps and few bad patches. Roads near holenarsipura is as bad as Hassan-Sakleshpura. There will be minimal traffic though. Also do notice there are no food options post CR Patna. Timewise both road(BLR-Hassan-Sakleshpur) takes similar time. If possible start as early as say 4-5AM, you will avoid most of the traffic/jams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I did Bisile about 2-3 weeks back. The ghat is in good shape(Concrete road), except for 3-4KM where there is no road. In this section, UV's will not have any problem, however low GC sedan might have to be careful, but easily doable with little more attention. They are prepping this section to lay concrete. The road is narrow and in many places just 1 car can go. There are quite a few places which are scenic and rains make this place lot more beautiful.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20190922_161045.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20190922_170113.jpg

Quote:
I didn't go beyond the view point as we returned back to the resort that evening. The from Koodurasthe till the view point, except 300 meter stretch that has no tarmac, rest was all good. Any car can reach the view point.

However, Hemant Anand had driven here few weeks/months before.I recollect ProcRJ as well.
Were you on highway yesterday or the week before? There was horrible traffic yesterday.

Last edited by PrideRed : 21st October 2019 at 13:41.
PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 13:45   #8245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Were you on highway yesterday or the week before? There was horrible traffic yesterday.
A week before I was. The weekend that went, I was shuttling inside Bangalore .

Regarding the road conditions, I felt what makes CR Patna - HN Pura - Shanivarsanthe better despite of those potholes is that the drive is stressfree due to minimal traffic. Secondly, one need not do CR Patna Bypass or Hassan Bypass and also avoid the toll at Shantigrama (Not for the monetary benefit but in general).

In fact, for this drive, I picked up 3 colleagues from Royal Meenakshi Mall and then via NICE I took at exit at Magadi road. This was because when we started from here it was already 0600 and I didn't want to drive along with the usual traffic. via Magadi would mean I get to avoid the NBTL Toll soon after NICE exit on Tumkur Road as well as the Devihalli/Lanco toll later on.

I took the Magadi - Gudemaranahalli route to touch Hassan highway and liked the fact that this one helps you save time because you need not even enter and exit Magadi town and turn right just at the beginning of Magadi.

Magadi to Gudemaranahalli is in excellent shape with of course, speedbreakers!!
Old 21st October 2019, 14:01   #8246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A week before I was. The weekend that went, I was shuttling inside Bangalore .

Regarding the road conditions, I felt what makes CR Patna - HN Pura - Shanivarsanthe better despite of those potholes is that the drive is stressfree due to minimal traffic. Secondly, one need not do CR Patna Bypass or Hassan Bypass and also avoid the toll at Shantigrama (Not for the monetary benefit but in general).

In fact, for this drive, I picked up 3 colleagues from Royal Meenakshi Mall and then via NICE I took at exit at Magadi road. This was because when we started from here it was already 0600 and I didn't want to drive along with the usual traffic. via Magadi would mean I get to avoid the NBTL Toll soon after NICE exit on Tumkur Road as well as the Devihalli/Lanco toll later on.
Agree, If you are late CRPatna-Shanivarsanthe route is better. Even Subrahmanya-Puttur is in excellent condition, if you are heading in that direction. I typically start at 4, would be in Sakleshpur by the time towns/villages wake up! I would say if you can hit first toll on highway by 530-6, take Shiradi, if later take CR Patna- Arakalgud route.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:46   #8247
BHPian

Am heading to Udupi from BLR over the Deepavali holidays. My onward is planned via Chikmagalur (have a social stop in CKM) Agumbe Udupi. I need to visit a cousin in MLR on my return to BLR.

Am planning to take the charmadi since drive is during daytime. But, keeping in mind the holiday traffic, Charmadi may be slow considering the narrow lanes due to the landslides. Have heard some news that passage in the ghats is very slow now.

What alternate routes do i have to return from MLR to BLR ? apart from Shiradi.

1. via Mani-Puttur-Sampage-Arkalgud-CR patna
2. via Kudremukh

Any other reccos ?
Old 23rd October 2019, 14:24   #8248
BHPian

Took Shiradi route on 16th Oct and I would say its best avoided. I always hesitated to take any other route apart from Shiradi since I felt it was the fastest even with pot holes and traffic. However i was wrong this time.

From hassan till start of ghat (concrete road) and once you get down (after concrete section) till Outskirts or Mangalore is just undrivable. You can never save time on this route anymore. Took 8 hours just to reach Mangalore.

Traffic was way too much even during the weekday and early mornings (I left at 4:30am) - May be because heavy vehicles are not allowed through Charmadi.

Took Charmadi while returning on 21st Oct and it was a peaceful drive. Brahmavar-Hebbal (ring road traffic) took 7.5 hours. HCV were not allowed on ghat making it almost deserted road with couple of cars here and there.
Old 23rd October 2019, 14:38   #8249
BHPian

Quote:
We were there at the same resort for an office outing last Saturday and Sunday. We were 6 cars while 3 of us including myself took the CR Patna - Holenarasipura - Arkalgud - Shanivarsanthe - Koodurasthe, the other 3 cars went ahead via Sakleshpur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Yes this is a good time to visit, rains are decreasing and temperatures are kind a cool. The resort appears to be close to Bisile, you can take Blore, CRPatna, Shanivarsanthe route as suggested by Parag. The road from CR Patna to Bisile has plenty of road humps and few bad patches. Roads near holenarsipura is as bad as Hassan-Sakleshpura. There will be minimal traffic though. Also do notice there are no food options post CR Patna. Timewise both road(BLR-Hassan-Sakleshpur) takes similar time. If possible start as early as say 4-5AM, you will avoid most of the traffic/jams.
Thanks Parag and PrideRed for your quick responses.

Just seeing news on TV and reading online about plenty of flooding around?

Will that affect commute to Sakleshpur in any way? As far as I understood, rain is battering North Karnataka only. Is that right?
Old 23rd October 2019, 14:46   #8250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parag and PrideRed for your quick responses.

Just seeing news on TV and reading online about plenty of flooding around?

Will that affect commute to Sakleshpur in any way? As far as I understood, rain is battering North Karnataka only. Is that right?
There isn't much rain in Sakleshpur/DK area . However any rain now will batter the already bad section and you will have to be watchful. That said there should not be any road closure.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks