Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2019, 09:48   #8311
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Situation is back to normal and mobile internet was restored back yesterday.
Fastag works well in this route.
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 15:11   #8312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
Look forward to your report.

I'm planning a BLR-MLR drive soon.

Which route were you planning on taking? (Shirdi ?.... Charmadi?)

Also : any feedback on the status of the FasTag roll out would be great. (Am hearing reports of "double billing" for a single pass, and the associated fun and games. Any facts there?)

The family function that I was supposed to attend on Sunday was cancelled and therefore cancelled my plans of travelling.

I was supposed to take the Shiradi route considering that it is all patched up and motorable though it is rough in some sections.

FasTag has worked most of the times during my previous travel in this route.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th December 2019 at 19:46. Reason: Quoted text edited
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 12:09   #8313
BHPian

Sudden need to travel to Mangalore, this coming Saturday has arisen (28th Dec). I have never been to Mangalore before. Please advise me which route to take from Banashankari, and what time to start, where to stop for food etc. This is a complete black-box to me. Car is Honda City (low GC). 2 Adults only. Thanks in advance.
Old 24th December 2019, 13:29   #8314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Sudden need to travel to Mangalore, this coming Saturday has arisen (28th Dec). I have never been to Mangalore before. Please advise me which route to take from Banashankari, and what time to start, where to stop for food etc. This is a complete black-box to me. Car is Honda City (low GC). 2 Adults only. Thanks in advance.
Take Nice road and hit Hassan road and then Shiradi. Start As early as possible, you will be able to avoid Hassan-Mangalore local traffic. For breakfast there are plenty of options until Hassan. Kamat, Dhruvataare, Anagha Grand, A2B are good ones. Post Sakleshpur, there aren't many options for Food, Uppinangadi and BC road have some okay'ish places.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 13:50   #8315
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sudden need to travel to Mangalore, this coming Saturday has arisen (28th Dec). I have never been to Mangalore before. Please advise me which route to take from Banashankari, and what time
Start early say 5:30am or so, take the NICE Road, exit at Tumkur road and turn off to left after Nelamangala towards Hassan (look for Mangalore signage).
Breakfast - in addition to places mentioned by @PrideRed, you also have Swathi Delicacy near Yediyur and Mayura at Bellur cross. These are the places that you can reach in 1-1.5 hours from start.

Last edited by NPV : 24th December 2019 at 13:51.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 16:58   #8316
BHPian

Quote:
Did BLR MLR via Shiradi today.
Fully loaded Baleno Auto Petrol.
- 4:20am at Nelamangala
- FasTag lanes were empty .. breezed through all tolls.
- roads till Hassan are great .
- Hassan to BC road is uneven. (filled potholes are now small bumps) but ok.
- at Ossur for breakfast. Good food.
- reached my destination 12 km from BC road by 10:45am.
- After Shiradi average speed to be kept low. A few bad potholes.
- Tempted to try Charmadi on the way back.
CLIX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 22:22   #8317
BHPian

Hi All,

It is that time of the year to make the road trip to Kundapura. We are travelling, tomorrow morning around 7am, in an Alto 800, from Bangalore to Kundapura. My car doesn't have fasttag. I live in Singapore and just came for vacation and applied for the fasttag but hasn't arrived yet. I guess long wait at the toll gates :(.

Can you guys please suggest the best route? Should I just follow the route prompted by Google maps? >> Hasan - Belur- balehonnur-hariharapura-agumbe-halady-Kundapura?

Thanks in advance!
Old 25th December 2019, 22:22   #8318
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
- Tempted to try Charmadi on the way back.
This Sunday we took Charmadi on the way to Dharmasthala from Bangalore. Not a great experience. Roads are not what it used to be few months back. You have to slow down very few KMs. I would suggest you to stick via shirdi.

On the way back from Udupi, we took via Bramavara, Hebri, Agumbe, Sringeri, jayapura, chikkamagalur and Hassan. Fantastic Roads all the way, except between Adalur and joining of chikkamagalur- Mangalore highway, around 5-6kms

Last edited by Samurai : 26th December 2019 at 10:23. Reason: shirdi is too far, changing it to Shiradi. ;-)
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 10:08   #8319
BHPian

Planning a trip to Hornadu the coming Sunday. Wanted to check on couple of things:
1. Is Mudigere - Kottigehara still the best route to get there? Any info on the best road, in terms of road conditions, would help
2. Are there are decent stay options in Horanadu? Planning to get there and check for temple acco. If not available, I need a backup

Thanks in advance
Old 26th December 2019, 10:20   #8320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Hi All,

It is that time of the year to make the road trip to Kundapura. We are travelling, tomorrow morning around 7am, in an Alto 800, from Bangalore to Kundapura. My car doesn't have fasttag. I live in Singapore and just came for vacation and applied for the fasttag but hasn't arrived yet. I guess long wait at the toll gates :(.

Can you guys please suggest the best route? Should I just follow the route prompted by Google maps? >> Hasan - Belur- balehonnur-hariharapura-agumbe-halady-Kundapura?

Thanks in advance!
If not having fasttag and travelling on a weekend, trying Mysore road may be worth it. I heard of really long queue for cash payment.
Old 26th December 2019, 10:28   #8321
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureshS View Post
1. Is Mudigere - Kottigehara still the best route to get there? Any info on the best road, in terms of road conditions, would help
If you're doing Bangalore-Hornadu directly, the route is fine till Mudigere, don't know how it is beyond i.e Banakal-Kelagur-Kalasa-Hornadu (Or even Banakal-Magundi-Balehole-Kalasa which is a longer detour and may not be necessary).

*During my trip last month when I drove back from Sringeri to Bangalore, I inadvertently ended up taking Aldur-Mudigere-Belur instead of the direct route to Belur and found that roads inside Mudigere town (about 10Km or so) is pathetic. However, with a Bangalore-Hornadu direct route, you'd bypass that section since you don't have to get into Mudigere.
Old 26th December 2019, 11:12   #8322
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
If not having fasttag and travelling on a weekend, trying Mysore road may be worth it. I heard of really long queue for cash payment.
Yes it is very very long queue for cash payment at toll collection. Whereas FASTag lines are almost drive through. With FASTag, at all most all tolls we were able to clear in less than a minute, except one where it took nearly 4-5 minutes both the way. At the same time, we saw nearly 100+ vehicles in cash line, mostly single line.
Old 26th December 2019, 16:59   #8323
BHPian

Reached Kundapura 30 mins back. Roads were okay, but I lost my way a bit near Sringeri, we took the Balehonnur Kalasa road by mistake and lost around 30 km due to it. Other than that it was okay. We started at 7.30. Due to solar eclipse, the weather was awesome and foggy until noon. Most restaurants were closed due to eclipse.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th December 2019 at 17:52. Reason: Mention of high speed driving
revhappy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th December 2019, 21:10   #8324
Senior - BHPian

Charmadi is still closed for heavy vehicles; however the Chikkamagaluru district administration has permitted KSRTC to operate mini buses in the route. Interestingly, the speed limit for cars and buses is just 20kmph.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20191226_205903.jpg

Friends who went to Dharmasthala via Charmadi a few days back were of the opinion that even with the reduced width, cars can easily travel through the ghat.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 23:47   #8325
BHPian

Hello ,
I am planning to travel to Manipal from Bangalore this weekend . Google map suggests to take the Agumbe route via Belur--> Sringeri -->Agumbe-->Manipal.
Should I take this route or BLR--> Hasan-->Siradi--> Mangalore--> Manipal route ?

Last edited by ansumaan : 27th December 2019 at 23:48.

Most Viewed