Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2020, 11:28   #8446
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Planning to drive down to Udupi either this weekend or next and was browsing last couple of pages.

Is charmadi really worth taking or i will be better off taking Shiradi-dharmastala-karkala-udupi (On a sedan)

I will anyway avoid BC Road and Mangalore traffic. Main concern with charmadi is my kid is bit sensitive to body roll.

Other option for me to drive via Agumbe if it is better(i find it bit longer than shiradi)
Old 31st August 2020, 12:00   #8447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Is charmadi really worth taking or i will be better off taking Shiradi-dharmastala-karkala-udupi (On a sedan)
If you have driven via Charmadi before and know the demography of the roads here, which I presume you do, then in its current state, you very well can manage in a sedan since I drove on last Saturday and returned via Charmadi in a Ciaz with 3 healthy adults. Not even once I had to be careful that the car would scrap its underbelly or the lower lip. The road remains in good condition with very small sections where landslides (from last year) have washed the roads away and hence when it comes to the width of the road there will be 50% tarmac and rest 50% will be gravel and soil but overall the cumulative stretch with such sections won't exceed even 300 meters.

Quote:
I will anyway avoid BC Road and Mangalore traffic. Main concern with charmadi is my kid is bit sensitive to body roll.
In that case, Shiradi will have an advantage because I and my daughter both suffer from severe motion sickness when driven. But remember that even with Shiradi in its present state, especially the sections before and after concrete, frequent slowing down and swinging lanes to negotiate those potholes will result in motion sickness (talking from my experience).

Quote:
Other option for me to drive via Agumbe if it is better(i find it bit longer than shiradi)
Longer plus if you take the Shringeri route via Chikmagalur and Balehonnur, you are on twisty roads soon after Chikmagalur all the way till you actually descend from Agumbe and here is where motion sickness will be experienced at maximum. If taking Agumbe, better bet would be via Shivamogga do avoid less of the curvy sections.

Last edited by paragsachania : 31st August 2020 at 12:02.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 12:39   #8448
BHPian

I have a few questions ahead of my trans-Charmadi drive on September 14th.

Where exactly are the check posts on either side of Charmadi? If I reach check post by 1900 hrs, I will be allowed to cross the check post. But within what time I should exit the other check post? Are there any restrictions on that?

At what time must I start from Yenepoya Medical college campus, Mangaluru in order to safely reach the check post before 1900?

Kindly reply.

Thanks in advance.
Old 31st August 2020, 13:07   #8449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Road_Rover View Post
Where exactly are the check posts on either side of Charmadi?
When driving from Mangalore there are 2 check posts:

1. ENTRY CHECK POST before Charmadi village - Location

2. EXIT CHECK POST At Kottigehara - Location

Distance between the checkposts : 25 Kms,
Time taken to drive : 45 Minutes

Quote:
If I reach check post by 1900 hrs, I will be allowed to cross the check post. But within what time I should exit the other check post? Are there any restrictions on that?
Ensure that you cross the ENTRY check post before 1900 hours. There is no time limit defined to cross the EXIT check post. But after 1900 hours, your ENTRY itself can very much be denied. So be careful with that.

Quote:
At what time must I start from Yenepoya Medical college campus, Mangaluru in order to safely reach the check post before 1900?
Budget at least 2.5 hours which will give you a buffer of around 30 minutes to reach the checkpost. This means, to be there at the check post at 1845, you need to start from Yenopaya campus at 1615 to be on the safer side.

When I drove 2 days back and returned via Charmadi, I could notice at least 5 cars, all Bangalore registered that were parked along the Kottigehara checkpost and were not let towards Mangalore/Ujire only because it was way beyond 1900 hours.

Last edited by paragsachania : 31st August 2020 at 13:09.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 13:13   #8450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In that case, Shiradi will have an advantage because I and my daughter both suffer from severe motion sickness when driven. But remember that even with Shiradi in its present state, especially the sections before and after concrete, frequent slowing down and swinging lanes to negotiate those potholes will result in motion sickness (talking from my experience).
Confusion is with the potholes in shiradi route(before and after concrete) v/s the twists in Charmadi

Personally i prefer Charmadi, Agumbe, Shiradi in that order and this changes when there are back-seat passengers.

I travel during day time so on a non rainy day it is easy to manage potholes.
Old 31st August 2020, 13:16   #8451
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Personally i prefer Charmadi, Agumbe, Shiradi in that order and this changes when there are back-seat passengers.
If I was driving with my daughter, I will close my eyes and pick Charmadi given her motion sickness episodes. Also, Charmadi for those who do regularly is never a problem because you already know the surprises - Narrow roads, Hairpin curves etc.

But as of today, the real icing on the cake along with the good condition of roads in Charmadi is that trucks and buses are banned and that means the progress in the ghat section will be tremendously fast and you really dont need to wait for an opportunity to overtake a large vehicle or unnecessarily follow it for long distances at crawling speeds!

Additionally, my daughter is now 5.5 ft and in ghats I make her sit on the co-passenger seat in front and belted so she gets the full view of the roads ahead and this has helped her get rid of this motion sickness issue permanently now!

Last edited by paragsachania : 31st August 2020 at 13:17.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 10:17   #8452
Distinguished - BHPian

Trip Report | 29th August :

Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kalasa - Kuduremukha - Karkala - Padubidre - Udupi - Kundapura - Padubidre - Karkala - Naravi - Ujire - Charmadi - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore

We did a day trip to Kundapura last Saturday and returned late night driving through the above route in a Ciaz. Rather than generic updates on every section, I would like to provide updates that matter to most of the road users, especially on road conditions on these ghats after monsoons.

Belur to Karkala via KUDUREMUKHA

• Belur - Mudigere: Remains perfectly OK

• Mudigere - Kottigehara: Remains good, be careful with speeds as the repaired culverts now complement as speedbreakers quite often

• Kottigehara - Kalasa: Good, with very small sections that are patchy and nothing to worry about this

• Kalasa - Samse - Kuduremukha - SK Border: Combination of mostly good and very occasional patchy sections but overall perfectly driveable in any car

• SK Border - Bajagoli - Karkala: Extremely good, reashpalted, well marked

• Karkala - Nitte - Padubidre: Wonderfully maintained, frequent rumblers and barricades to slow you down

• Padubidre - Udupi - Bhramhavara - Kundapura: Usual 4 lane, well maintained, barricaded major intersections

• Kundapur Bypass: Still work in progress and undone, especially the overbridge while entering Kundapur from Udupi side

Karkala to Belur via CHARMADI:

• Karkala - Naravi - Guruvayanakere: Many sections on this stretch have got a fresh layer of tarmac. However, there are also very small sections that are patchy, especially around Naravi but overall, no cause for worry

• Ujire - Charmadi - Kottigehara: Overall route conditions are favourable and roads remain good. There have been few landslides last year and hence roads at these sections have partially vanished. Authorities have built concrete barriers and widened such sections

Some eye candies for the roadies:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20200829_060035.jpg

Since we started at 0400 from Bangalore, we stopped at Belur for Breakfast:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20200829_073349.jpg

The next stop was the usual one at Kottigehara for some Neer Dose:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20200829_083210.jpg

Kelagur Tea Estates galore after Balur:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-b84dd686bb1a4ad896814a1f30848302.jpg

For the railfans - Govt Higher Primary School, Samse:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-435a577c6ca84b898196eddeb6c9a175.jpg

Quick pit-stop at the hanging bridge:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-0091669c9f714feb97664df09169f877.jpg

An almost ghost town of Kuduremukha:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-31b229521aee4b809c4e3576d375c684.jpg

Mandatory pit stop here:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-0cec7e3050e1424683abdbe54eb4632d.jpg

Got wheels? Just drive - Our ride for this drive:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20200829_112855.jpg

Pristine and green western ghat range before SK Border:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-d467585f35264c92b01dad43d86571d7.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-5c0b64b4fc4e46fe871e807c0c148295.jpg

The very well maintained Bajagoli - Karkala stretch:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20200829_121534.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20200829_121904.jpg

The eternal Kundapura bypass, that is longing for completion since years:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20200829_135317.jpg

Some important points for travellers:

CHARMADI:
  • Charmadi is open for all vehicles except HCVs and Buses between 0700 and 1900
  • You will not be allowed to enter Chramadi from either sides after 1900
  • There is no time limit to exit Charmadi once you enter from either of the side
  • Charmadi was extremely foggy at 1945 to 2015 with visibility as less as 20 meters - Caution advised if you are not used to narrow roads, hairpin curves and poor visibility conditions
  • Better to drive via Charmadi under broad daylight

KUDUREMUKHA:
  • Remains open 24 X 7
  • Entry Pass System at the Checkpost is still in place - Stop at Samse checkpost or SK Border Checkpost to pick this pass from the forest officials at no cost by proving vehicle number, contact number, number of passengers and destination details
  • Depending on the direction of travel, drop the pass/permit in a dropbox provided at checkpost while exiting (contactless)
  • Limited time to cross the Ghat once you enter but the time given is more than adequate. Small little pit stops enroute for photo sessions or breaks won't cause delays
  • Police checking at Kuduremukha Circle : Remain belted, including co-passengers, ensure to have all documents in place starting with a valid Emission test certificate
  • Be ready to shell out 100 INR in the name of "Police Flag Day Stamp" once your documents are checked and they all are in order - We paid 100

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st September 2020 at 10:46.
paragsachania is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 08:57   #8453
BHPian

Charmadi is open for all light vehicles and KSRTC Buses, 24 hours now.
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 09:33   #8454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Charmadi is open for all light vehicles and KSRTC Buses, 24 hours now.
The only change is that it is open 24 hours. However, when it comes to KSRTC, it will still be Mini buses only.

Since I drove 3 days before, I recollect how there are many sections where a regular sized buses may not be able to maneuver due to its length. Thanks to landslides from last year (not the latest).

Quote:
From September 1 onward, light vehicles and KSRTC mini buses have been allowed to operate on the ghat road on all 24 hours of the day.
And this still means, very less services through Mini buses and no regular trucks. Less traffic and fast progress!

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd September 2020 at 09:55.
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:31   #8455
BHPian

As per the District administration Chikkamagaluru, Charmadi is open for Light Motor Vehicles 24 hours a day since Tuesday, 01/09/2020.

Name:  Charmadi.png
Views: 1314
Size:  50.8 KB
The_Road_Rover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 16:52   #8456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Trip Report | 29th August :

Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kalasa - Kuduremukha - Karkala - Padubidre - Udupi - Kundapura - Padubidre - Karkala - Naravi - Ujire - Charmadi - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore
we definitely need such periodic trip summary in order to plan ours

[quote=paragsachania;4876844]

Mandatory pit stop here:

Attachment 2050131

Can you tell me the location here ? Have only driven couple of times in kuduremukh stretch

Now that we might carry our own food, scenic route can always double up as picnic spot.
Old 2nd September 2020, 18:50   #8457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you tell me the location here ? Have only driven couple of times in kuduremukh stretch
When driving towards Karkala Udupi, it's soon after crossing Kuduremukha town at this location.
Old 7th September 2020, 16:15   #8458
BHPian

I hope you don't find this puzzle boring . Sorry if you do.

I am quite surprised to see that there is no Shell fuel station in and around Mangaluru city .
My next trip to Mangaluru starts from Tumakuru (where there is a shell station). But I am afraid I will need to refuel my car once before coming back here. So I will have to fuel in some other fuel station then?

Any strategic fueling options you can think of for me to fuel only in Shells during my trip?

As I need to pick up another person I will have to detour to go via Huliyar (i.e Tumakuru -> Huliyar -> Mangaluru) which is 666 kms round trip. And I am driving 200 more kilometres in and around Mangaluru city thus making round trip of 866 kms.

My best guess is my car can run 790 kms with full tank. So I will fall short for remaining 76 kms (which takes another 4 litres).

Thanks in advance for your solution!
Old 7th September 2020, 17:16   #8459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Road_Rover View Post

I am quite surprised to see that there is no Shell fuel station in and around Mangaluru city .

There are a couple of Shell fuel stations. One in Museum road Bejai and the other one on the highway near Adyar Kannur. You can google for locations. Both of these seem to be operational.
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 08:56   #8460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
There are a couple of Shell fuel stations. One in Museum road Bejai and the other one on the highway near Adyar Kannur. You can google for locations. Both of these seem to be operational.
Oops! Yes I see 'em now @fast_elegance.

When I tried to spot a shell station in Shell website "station locator" on Friday it didn't show any in Mangaluru. Surprisingly (should I say magically? ) now it shows only one i.e in Bejai. However it still doesn't show Adyar Kannur one.

Google shows both of 'em though!

I guess Shell station locator needs a real time update?!!

Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks