Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2020, 10:10   #8461
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Road_Rover View Post

I am quite surprised to see that there is no Shell fuel station in and around Mangaluru city .
I doubt if any car has that tank range to manage to and fro !!

There used to be at least 1 Shell pump near Urwa (Mangala stadium) but they shut shop when they could no longer offer the fuel at the PSU prices.

I used to be a shell loyalist(Bangalore) and realised that there is hardly any difference between shell fuel and PSU COCO pumps.

Perhaps the local Tbhpians can recommend you the well known pump known for quality and you should be able to top up from there.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 10:20   #8462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
The XUV and the Etios D comes to my mind and they can very well do it due to their range of 900/1000 km.

Even the recent drive that we had in the Ciaz, we refilled after Kunigal after warning light for low fuel came on and the final tripmeter reading was 947 km at home.

Plain Bangalore to Mangalore and back is mere 700+ km and you gain a lot as you descend the ghats during onward and that is balanced out when you return till Hassan.

Having said that, there are many COCOs and good PSU options en route and within Mangalore city and I am also not a Shell aficionado. I refill at known good stations, preferably COCOs.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th September 2020 at 10:23.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 10:21   #8463
BHPian

Quote:
Oops! Yes I see 'em now @fast_elegance.

When I tried to spot a shell station in Shell website "station locator" on Friday it didn't show any in Mangaluru. Surprisingly (should I say magically? ) now it shows only one i.e in Bejai. However it still doesn't show Adyar Kannur one.

Google shows both of 'em though!

I guess Shell station locator needs a real time update?!!

Thank you.
Apart from Shell, you can also try MRPL HiQ retail outlets in Mangalore. Whenever I visit this part of Mangalore, I have been regular with MRPL retail outlet in Panambur since 2018 when they opened this new outlet. Although MRPL has 3 outlets in Mangalore, I can certainly vouch for Panambur one for quality and quantity.
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 10:23   #8464
BHPian

Quote:
Oops! Yes I see 'em now @fast_elegance.

When I tried to spot a shell station in Shell website "station locator" on Friday it didn't show any in Mangaluru. Surprisingly (should I say magically? ) now it shows only one i.e in Bejai. However it still doesn't show Adyar Kannur one.
Just back from Mangalore yesterday, I can confirm that the Bejai Outlet is open. There is one more coming up in Urwa, but looks like it will take some more time to open

Cheers
Rahulb22
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 10:40   #8465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The XUV and the Etios D comes to my mind and they can very well do it due to their range of 900/1000 km.
My bad, my mind always goes till Udupi and hence add 800-900 kms per trip. You are right

Have done few trips to puttur/uppinandadi and same day returns in same tank of diesel in my Ertiga (almost back until yashwantpur)

Last edited by rajshenoy : 8th September 2020 at 10:44.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 10:41   #8466
BHPian

Quote:
Like Parag bhai mentioned, it certainly depends on the car one is driving. During weekend, I did Puttur-Bangalore to and fro which included some 50 odd kms of city errands with full tank of diesel in my ecosport. Total distance covered standed at 740 and I am yet to refill my car but it should have around 15 ltrs left in the tank.

I noticed a new BPCL COCO outlet right next to A2B near Channarayapatna, I remember seeing the construction going on and wasn`t aware it is a COCO. Anyways it is good to see this outlet as we had less options of reliable pumps while enroute to Mangalore.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 8th September 2020 at 10:43.
DragonHawk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 11:36   #8467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Longer plus if you take the Shringeri route via Chikmagalur and Balehonnur, you are on twisty roads soon after Chikmagalur all the way till you actually descend from Agumbe and here is where motion sickness will be experienced at maximum. If taking Agumbe, better bet would be via Shivamogga do avoid less of the curvy sections.
I'm driving to Udupi this weekend and planing to take the Agumbe route for a change (I'm driving alone and hence motion sickness is not a worry ). I'll be driving from Hassan side. I have never driven to Udupi through Agumbe and want to confirm if this is the correct route to reach Udupi: Hassan - Belur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Perdur - Manipal - Udupi. Also is there any good eatery between Belur - Agumbe for breakfast?

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 8th September 2020 at 11:41.
Old 8th September 2020, 11:48   #8468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Hassan - Belur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Perdur - Manipal - Udupi.
The route is correct although you can still do Belur Chikmagalur Aldur for better roads. The direct route from Belur to Aldur is short but not the conventional routes that anyone else than locals take.

Extra 10 minutes for 2 common points on both routes:
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-belur_aldur.jpg
But yes, unlike Belur option, if you take Chikmagalur route, you will have traffic on Chikmagalur-Mudigere road till the Aldur turn off and that progress can be slow. Chikmagalur gives more options to break too.

Quote:
Also is there any good eatery between Belur - Agumbe for breakfast?
Sharada Comforts at Sringeri

Bhadra Coffee Shop, Belehonnur

Plenty of options in Chikmagalur town that I prefer not to list them down.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th September 2020 at 11:54.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 12:33   #8469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
I did Puttur-Bangalore to and fro
Good to know info.. How is road condition between Hasana - Sakleshpura ? Did they start patching ? Local news papers said it will start soon.
Old 8th September 2020, 12:50   #8470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Good to know info.. How is road condition between Hasana - Sakleshpura ? Did they start patching ? Local news papers said it will start soon.
I didn`t see any work happening nor I could see any materials put on the road for patch work to commence.

Hassan-Sakaleshpur stretch is bad but manageable by any car. Occasional huge potholes make driving jittery at night. I felt Gundya - BC Road stretch is worse than Hassan-Maranahalli.
DragonHawk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 06:29   #8471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Also is there any good eatery between Belur - Agumbe for breakfast?
Quote:
If it rains on the route, nothing beats the location at Bhadra coffee stop! Amazing place to laze around, and have a strong coffee!
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 15:28   #8472
Senior - BHPian

After a weeks delay(due to work commitments), i travelled to Udupi today. Due to the continuous rains, was told to stick to Shiradi for the better infrastructure support.

Not ideal driving conditions this morning as it was continuously raining from hasan all the way until Udupi. No complaints as the route is still decent option(i did on a sedan). We started from white field around 5AM and reached Udupi for lunch around 1:30PM with 2-3 short breaks.

Route Update:

* Hasan - Sakleshpur - Road is rough but is manageable(i did not encounter bad pot-holes even in the waterlogged condition) but took around 45 mins to cover this distance with medium traffic(LPG tankers and container trucks are active !!)
* Shiradi-Gundya - few rough patches till the U-turn to Dharmastala. Shiradi concrete stretch is excellent and traffic was sparse too.
* Dharmastala-Naravi-karkala-udupi - Good roads with little local traffic and lush greenery all around.

I guess the peaceful drive can be attributed to lack of typical tourist crowd (rash TT/innova). Also i encountered very few KSRTC busses(non AC only)

I decided to avoid the Nelyadi to BC road traffic/bad roads and i guess it was a good decision.

Restaurant update:
Noticed fair amount of crowd in front of Dhruvatare, Mayura and Oosur(sakleshpur). Few other eateries were also open though the usual crowd was missing in other places. I guess it is better to stick to these hygienic options considering the situation.

We had decided to carry our own breakfast and chai and took a small de-tour near Markonahalli dam for an early breakfast. For those who have not been here, it can double up as a good picnic site(for breakfast by the canals).

Last edited by rajshenoy : 11th September 2020 at 15:29.
rajshenoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 06:08   #8473
Senior - BHPian

Did a Bangalore - Udupi run through Agumbe yesterday and the drive was absolutely fantastic. The route I took: Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Chikkamagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Udupi.

The roads were fantastic. The only small patches of bad roads were inside the Chikkamagalur town and just before entering Manipal. There was hardly any traffic anywhere. Observed few small landslides between Balehonnur - Sringeri. Agumbe ghat is in pristine condition. Just encountered couple of Agumbe Sarige buses in the opposite direction but otherwise there was absolutely no traffic in the ghat.

Started from Bangalore at 4 AM and reached Udupi at 12:30 PM with a half hour break at Sringeri.

Quote:
I decided to avoid the Nelyadi to BC road traffic/bad roads and i guess it was a good decision.
It was indeed a good decision by you. I had to drive to Sullia from Udupi last evening and it was a nightmare experience. Udupi - Panambur was great but started encountering frequent water logging with deep potholes between Panambur - Mangalore. It then took a whopping 1.5 hours to drive from Mangalore to Mani. Mangalore - BC road had frequent barricades which created mini traffic jams. BC road to Mani was pathetic and I heard it’s the same between Mani - Nelyadi too. Even truckers were avoiding a lots of monster potholes in this stretch. It was almost like driving on a paddy field. Its best to avoid Mangalore - Gundya stretch. The heavy rains since last week have made the matters only worse.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 13th September 2020 at 06:22.
guyfrmblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 11:10   #8474

Hi

I am from chennai.

My son had got admitted in Manipal Academy of higher education, Manipal. in this context , we ( myself, wife, son and daughter ) had planned to visit manipal, drop my son in manipal, stay over there for 2 days and then return back to chennai.

Total Duration of travel : 6 days
Mode of travel : Self driven Car

kindly let me know whether should I opt for Tamil Nadu Goverment's E-Pass for us to return back to chennai from manipal.

Also let me know if any quarantine rule will be applied to us in both Karnataka as well as in Tamilnadu?
Old 17th September 2020, 15:50   #8475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viju_bubli View Post
Hi

I am from chennai.

My son had got admitted in Manipal Academy of higher education, Manipal. in this context , we ( myself, wife, son and daughter ) had planned to visit manipal, drop my son in manipal, stay over there for 2 days and then return back to chennai.

Total Duration of travel : 6 days
Mode of travel : Self driven Car

kindly let me know whether should I opt for Tamil Nadu Goverment's E-Pass for us to return back to chennai from manipal.

Also let me know if any quarantine rule will be applied to us in both Karnataka as well as in Tamilnadu?
Not sure about TN-karnataka border part but along the Bangalore-Mangalore highway i did not see any check posts as such. Also there are no quarantine rules applicable in the state. However take precautions and be safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks