Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2020, 10:00   #8566
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

The Hassan - Heggadde National Highway: Travelers' Torture

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-shiradi_news.jpg

Published today in one of the popular local vernacular daily from this region. This one is referring to the stretch after Hassan till the concrete section.

Excerpts:
  • The stretch of Hassan-Sakaleshpur-Heggadde hasn’t witnessed deterioration to this extent ever before

• Stretch between Hassan-Palya is OK while the section beyond this is deplorable

• There have been many protests demanding completion of work by various organizations but to no avail making traveling on this stretch hell

• Many accidents were reported, few 2 wheeler riders lost their lives and many complain of backache and this has been the story since last 3 years

• The consortium that bagged contract for this project is in deep financial trouble and hasn’t been able to complete work

• Later this contract was transferred to another consortium (Rajkamal) which too failed to complete the work and what is done till now is not even 30%

• The state of affairs was brought to the notice of the center and there was a lot of media attention too, but to no avail

• Insider information reveals that both “Isolation” as well as “Rajkamal” are bankrupt and at the verge of getting blackisted

• As part of road expansion, a bridge was to be built at Sakleshpur town and is pending completion since a long time

• There will be further protests requesting to reward the project to other firm(s) and complete the pending work

Moral of the Story: Don't expect the road to get better anytime soon except may be patchwork in haste by district administration to satisfy the local population.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 18:51   #8567

I'm planning to travel (Hatchback - Swift) to Kundapura (UVA Meridian Bay Resort). I stay at Marathahalli.

1. I'm planning to do this route. Nelamangala - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Aldur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Kundapura. Is this Ok?
2. How is the road condition?
3. Any good veg restaurants between Belur and Kundapura for our lunch? I do not think, I can reach Kundapura before lunch. I'm planning to start at 6 AM.
4. Is this route called the Charmady ghat?
Old 8th December 2020, 19:38   #8568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunasok View Post
1. I'm planning to do this route. Nelamangala - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Aldur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Kundapura. Is this Ok?
2. How is the road condition?
Is OK. But this route will be a lot of twists and turns right after Gendehalli (If done via Belur-Gendehalli - Aldur) or after Chikmagalur (If done via Belur - Chikmagalur - Aldur) all the way till you descend Agumbe. So be mindful of this if you are not someone who likes to drive on curvy roads for a long time (almost 3-4 hours)
Quote:
3. Any good veg restaurants between Belur and Kundapura for our lunch? I do not think, I can reach Kundapura before lunch. I'm planning to start at 6 AM.
None I would recommend (for lunch) at Belur. Instead, I would suggest you reach Aldur via Chikmagalur so that Chikmagalur becomes an ideal stop for your lunch as it has many options and you won't need to take any detour for that.

Quote:
Is this route called the Charmady ghat?
It is called Agumbe Ghat.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 20:12   #8569

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Is OK. But this route will be a lot of twists and turns right after Gendehalli (If done via Belur-Gendehalli - Aldur) or after Chikmagalur (If done via Belur - Chikmagalur - Aldur) all the way till you descend Agumbe. So be mindful of this if you are not someone who likes to drive on curvy roads for a long time (almost 3-4 hours)
Thank you so much. I do not have issues with the curvy roads. But what is the alternative if not Agumbe Ghat?

Quote:
None I would recommend (for lunch) at Belur. Instead, I would suggest you reach Aldur via Chikmagalur so that Chikmagalur becomes an ideal stop for your lunch as it has many options and you won't need to take any detour for that.
Looks like a good option. This adds just 10 km to the overall journey.
Old 8th December 2020, 20:38   #8570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunasok View Post
Thank you so much. I do not have issues with the curvy roads. But what is the alternative if not Agumbe Ghat?
One of these from the quoted post below where you basically continue beyond Udupi towards Kundapura via Bhramhavara:

Quote:
If done via Charmadi, you have the following choices:
  1. Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Nitte - Belman - Padubidre - Udupi
  2. Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Venoor - Moodabidre- Mulki - Padubidre - Udupi
  3. Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Nitte - Belman - Shirva - Katpadi - Udupi
  4. Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Hiriyadka - Udupi
As of today, my personal pick would be 1 and 3. Also, your choices to reach Udupi will split first right after crossing Guruvayanakere (whether to be done via Karkala or Moodabidre) or right at Karkala (whether to do via Padubidre or Shirva).

Honestly, between 1 and 2, it is not much difference. Except the Shirva route, all of them really pass Karkala from the outside without you having to enter and exit the town with seemingly narrow roads (and then follow the buses that may have just started from Karkala).
Quote:
Looks like a good option. This adds just 10 km to the overall journey.
Yes indeed. And here are few choices to break for lunch at Chikmagalur:

Little upmarket option: Hotel Aadrika

Usual Budget Restaurant: Annapurna

Another budget option: Mayura Delux

All of the above 3 are really part of the Chikmagalur town with Mayura being the closest to your route which you will continue on. But honestly, you can pick any of these since Chikmagalur doesn't really have a bypass when you are heading towards Aldur and that means you will cross a point called (Azad Park or Belur Road Circle as it is called) closely to Mayura.

An hour ahead on your route before Sringeri is Bhadra Cafe in case you need a quick coffee break too.

If you are taking Charmadi, here are few options:

Ibbani Cafe after Mudigere Handpost.

Fresh Bean Cafe at Banakal.

Here's a detailed account from my last drive to Kundapura in August though we drove again to Kuduremukha the subsequent month, it should give you some idea about the overall trip and one more option that I don't recommend for first timers called Kuduremukha:

Quote:
Trip Report | 29th August :

Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kalasa - Kuduremukha - Karkala - Padubidre - Udupi - Kundapura - Padubidre - Karkala - Naravi - Ujire - Charmadi - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore
As you can see, we took Kuduremukha for onward and Charmadi for our return.

Also note that there are no restrictions at Charmadi Ghat now and one is free to travel 24/7.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th December 2020 at 20:42.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 21:22   #8571
Team-BHP Support

My brother and cousin drove down from Bangalore-Mangalore-Udupi on Saturday via Shiradi and they returned today. They say there is no problem at all on Shiradi route anymore. It is fixed.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 21:33   #8572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My brother and cousin drove down from Bangalore-Mangalore-Udupi on Saturday via Shiradi and they returned today. They say there is no problem at all on Shiradi route anymore. It is fixed.
Yes, this is the latest update I too got that things are better due to patchwork on stretches that were really bad. Few images shared from Sunday last:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img20201206wa0036.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img20201206wa0035.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img20201206wa0033.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 21:52   #8573
Senior - BHPian

I drove via Shiradi last weekend and and is way better than before though far from SMOOTH. There was more than usual number of bullet tankers and bought down pace especially in ghat. While the most section is patched, there are few potholes here and there, need to be watchful. If you starting/ending anywhere near Puttur, take Puttur-Subrahmanya road instead of Uppinangady-Gundya. You'll love this road if you like to corner hard!
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 10:22   #8574
BHPian

Hello All,

I will be travelling to Manipal / Udupi from Bangalore this month end. Can some one suggest a good route with better surface to drive?.

I am new to those area's of Karnataka.
Old 10th December 2020, 10:51   #8575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek-Bharathy View Post
Hello All,

I will be travelling to Manipal / Udupi from Bangalore this month end. Can some one suggest a good route with better surface to drive?.

I am new to those area's of Karnataka.
Please read few posts right on this page posted not so long ago. You will get your answers. Basically, route suggestions for Udupi holds good for Manipal as well due to the fact that they are together.

If you want better surface, you can consider via Charmadi that perhaps has least sections that one can refer to bad.

Shiradi is recently patched but its just patched and hence consistency will be an issue.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th December 2020 at 10:54.
Old 10th December 2020, 10:56   #8576
Senior - BHPian

Is just the Shiradi sections patched ? I wish they do something to the roads from Hassan to Shiradi. That stretch seems to be worse than the ghats itself , these days.
Old 10th December 2020, 11:24   #8577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Is just the Shiradi sections patched ? I wish they do something to the roads from Hassan to Shiradi. That stretch seems to be worse than the ghats itself , these days.
Hassan Sakleshpur isn't patched as per one report I got from someone who drove to Kukke yesterday. But he is someone who drove after a long gap so perspectives matter.

But I know for sure that post Gundya the roads are patched and the pics posted earlier tell the same.
Old 10th December 2020, 11:42   #8578
BHPian

Hi all, could someone please tell me how is the road condition between Hassan and Mangalore via Sakaleshpur as of last week?

This question has been asked many times I know, but I'd request you to be precise.
I asked my friends who drove that road last week, some say it's good and some say it's not good. One guy said that the drive after patch work is as bad and bumpy as it was before patch work. So I couldn't draw any conclusions.

Whenever I took this route my destination was always Dharmasthala. So I took right turn just after exiting Shiraadi ghat towards Ujire. So, I am not familiar with the route towards Mangalore. So how is the road condition between the Dharmasthala turn junction and Mangalore city?

I'd really appreciate a precise and latest information. If you can post some pictures, I'd love them. Thanks in advance.
Old 10th December 2020, 12:59   #8579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Road_Rover View Post
This question has been asked many times I know, but I'd request you to be precise.
The updates that you see in last few posts is from the weekend that passed by. So this is indeed the latest if you are looking for .
Old 10th December 2020, 14:22   #8580
BHPian

Quote:
Hassan Sakleshpur isn't patched as per one report I got from someone who drove to Kukke yesterday. But he is someone who drove after a long gap so perspectives matter.

But I know for sure that post Gundya the roads are patched and the pics posted earlier tell the same.
I haven't driven Shiraadi route after the patch work. But after reading many posts from the last weekend travelers I can already feel the road. I presume it is patched but still far from being smooth. And as long as I can't give myself a convincing answer why I shouldn't take Charmadi route I will continue to use Charmadi. At least in Charmadi I get the added advantage of absence of heavy trucks (at supersonic speed ).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks