Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2021, 14:32   #8641
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Hello folks,
I have to visit Kapu near Udupi in 2 weeks time. This will be my first drive beyond Ujire in the Charmadi route (from Bangalore side). Is the following route beyond Ujire ok?
Ujire-Belthangady-Guruvayankere-Bajagoli-Karkala-Belman-Shirva-Kumbargudde-Kapu

Any recent update on road conditions?

Thanks in advance.
The road is all good. From Karkala you may as well not divert anywhere and head straight to Padubidri and then join the Mangalore-Udupi NH and reach your destination as well. Will be taking same time albeit some extra distance but wider roads.

If it is Kapu beach you or around you are headed to, consider the one in bold.

You can refer my post on the options here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If done via Charmadi, you have the following choices:
  1. Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Nitte - Belman - Padubidre - Udupi
  2. Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Venoor - Moodabidre- Mulki - Padubidre - Udupi
  3. Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Nitte - Belman - Shirva - Katpadi - Udupi
  4. Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Hiriyadka - Udupi
As of today, my personal pick would be 1 and 3. Also, your choices to reach Udupi will split first right after crossing Guruvayanakere (whether to be done via Karkala or Moodabidre) or right at Karkala (whether to do via Padubidre or Shirva).

Honestly, between 1 and 2, it is not much difference. Except the Shirva route, all of them really pass Karkala from the outside without you having to enter and exit the town with seemingly narrow roads (and then follow the buses that may have just started from Karkala).

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th February 2021 at 14:36.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 14:34   #8642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Hello folks,
I have to visit Kapu near Udupi in 2 weeks time. This will be my first drive beyond Ujire in the Charmadi route (from Bangalore side). Is the following route beyond Ujire ok?
Ujire-Belthangady-Guruvayankere-Bajagoli-Karkala-Belman-Shirva-Kumbargudde-Kapu

Any recent update on road conditions?

Thanks in advance.
Better option would be to go straight till Padubidri and then take the NH66, instead of diversion at Belman towards Shirva. Though bit longer, you will get good wide roads all the way.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 15:23   #8643
Team-BHP Support

Tomorrow highways may be disrupted due to farmer protests. Should be safe if you leave very early.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 14:12   #8644
BHPian

Friends, planning to travel from Manipal to Bangalore via the Agumbe route. A few questions...

1. google maps suggests via Hariharapura to Jayapura. are the roads ok? or via Sringeri is the better bet?

2. direct route from Aldur to Belur is fine or should we go via Chikmagalur?

3. pls suggest some clean eateries, preferably veg along the way

thanks!
Old 6th February 2021, 15:23   #8645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
Friends, planning to travel from Manipal to Bangalore via the Agumbe route. A few questions...

1. google maps suggests via Hariharapura to Jayapura. are the roads ok? or via Sringeri is the better bet?

thanks!
1.Route is OK if intending to reach via Agumbe

2.Take via Chikmagalur. It is easier to navigate, takes almost similar time

3. Chikmagalur will have few (if you want to dine here) Including Planters' Court with no detour. Then you have Bhadra Cafe few hours ahead. At Sringeri you have Sharada Comforts.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 18:45   #8646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post

thanks!
1. I took that route via Hariharapura couple of years back. In some parts it's narrow and mostly deserted. Nowadays I prefer Sringeri.
2. Refer previous page for my post 8632. My suggestion is avoid it and take the Chikmagalur route.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 18:58   #8647
BHPian

Quote:
1.Route is OK if intending to reach via Agumbe

2.Take via Chikmagalur. It is easier to navigate, takes almost similar time

3. Chikmagalur will have few (if you want to dine here) Including Planters' Court with no detour. Then you have Bhadra Cafe few hours ahead. At Sringeri you have Sharada Comforts.
Thanks! I had travelled to Bangalore 2 years back and while going, I had taken the Hiriyadka-Karkala-Ujre-Charmadi route and while returning chikmaglu-Sringeri-Agumbe route. I felt the return journey was faster (less traffic) and more comfortable.

OK, so will go through Sringeriand Chikmagalur. Thanks!!
Old 6th February 2021, 19:01   #8648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
1. I took that route via Hariharapura couple of years back. In some parts it's narrow and mostly deserted. Nowadays I prefer Sringeri.
2. Refer previous page for my post 8632. My suggestion is avoid it and take the Chikmagalur route.
Thanks! Will surely take Sringeri and Chikmaglur routes. The difference is 8 km extra and 12 mins extra (as per Google)
Old 6th February 2021, 19:06   #8649
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
3. Chikmagalur will have few (if you want to dine here) Including Planters' Court with no detour.
Are they still having that Chinese bar/restaurant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My biggest grouse was Planter's court. I used to drop in for lunch whenever I passed by over a decade. Yesterday I found them converted into a Chinese bar/restaurant. Since we were hungry and no mood to change restaurant, we settled for it. Food was fresh and good, but very expensive and took a long time to deliver. Just single orders of Veg fried rice + Hunan Chicken Gravy + Veg semi-gravy cost us ₹950. They were also playing nice 60s pop music, but loudly. I need to find a new pitstop in CKM for future trips.
Old 6th February 2021, 19:16   #8650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are they still having that Chinese bar/restaurant?
That's perhaps the worst place to be. Once an iconic restaurant to a sad bootlegger's den today.

There is a restaurant outside next to it called "Drive-In" which is a good option for a break if one does not have to take any detour.

However, if you are OK for a very short detour, plenty of places around the Bus stand on IG road and at the end of MG Road too.

Talking about Belur, sadly, most OK places in Belur have shut shops as I learnt recently including Vishu Regency now. The KSTDC Mayura is better but the crowd here is a gamble.

Also, Planters Club Belur, which is on Chickmagalur Road and less than 5 minutes from Belur circle allows dining for non members (latest info). So this is worth a try too. A clean place with good food too.

Then, there was Surabhi right on Chickmagalur road after Belur circle, which is now purchased by KSTDC who intend to convert this into a Govt Property. This is a very ideal location but only for those heading beyond Chikmagalur (Sringeri etc) as a break point. Hopefully it should open soon.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 12:08   #8651
Senior - BHPian

I need to travel to Mangalore from Bangalore. What is the suggested route? I am thinking about taking Belur > Charmady route

Shirady ghat is not recommended it seems, mainly because of Hassan > Sakleshpura in terrible condition. Thanks
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 13:40   #8652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I need to travel to Mangalore from Bangalore. What is the suggested route? I am thinking about taking Belur > Charmady route

Shirady ghat is not recommended it seems, mainly because of Hassan > Sakleshpura in terrible condition. Thanks
Hassan-Sakaleshpur is not bad as you think, I did this stretch last week, I have seen this stretch in a much worse state than the present. Except for some WIP section with broken roads, any car can handle this without any issues.

Ofcourse, if you are looking for a good scenic route with less traffic then you can take Charmadi but Mangalore via Shiradi is still the fastest route.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 12th February 2021 at 13:44.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 23:37   #8653
cnu
BHPian

Friends, what is the current best route from Bangalore to Manipal ? Would like to explore an alternative route in return. Which one should it be? Driving in ghats is not a problem, just that the road should be decent enough and pothole free. Thanks.
Old 15th February 2021, 00:20   #8654
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
Friends, what is the current best route from Bangalore to Manipal ?
Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Hiriyadka - Udupi

That is the best possible route right now. GV Kere to Naravi is has some rough stretch though, but there is no alternative unless you want to take a longer route via Moodabidre after GV Kere.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 06:03   #8655
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
Would like to explore an alternative route in return. Which one should it be? Driving in ghats is not a problem, just that the road should be decent enough and pothole free. Thanks.
Quote:
Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Hiriyadka - Udupi

For the alternate route how about Agumbe?

Udupi-Someshwar-Agumbe-Bangalore.

Agumbe-BLR can be either the longer straighter route via Thirthalli-Shimoga or the twisties via Balehonnur/Chikkamagulur/Hassan
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed