Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2021, 15:22   #8731
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

This morning I went to the Mangalore DC office along with the hope that I can get a permission on a letter stating that I need to travel due to personal reasons. Interestingly, the staff there told me that in a day they receive plenty of requests like mine and have stopped entertaining the same. The e-pass has been discontinued. Almost all the staff members we consulted were confident that we can travel (even out of relaxation time) provided we have a valid reason, in our case we have a hospital recent discharge summary and an email from my daughter's school. These two documents along with a Bangalore address proof should suffice, lest we been stopped by the cops en route. I will update this thread on my journey post reaching Bangalore tomorrow.
alstonlobo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 18:07   #8732
BHPian

Left Mangalore at 9am and reached Bangalore at 4pm. The only place where cops were checking was after sakaleshpur. That's the only barricade. Initially they did not let us pass. But then we gave our reasons and he had to let us go since many cars were piling up. There were many barricades in the way but no cops. The shiradi ghat was empty and it was a breeze to drive throughout the journey. The roads from Hassan to Kunigal were at some places converted to one ways due to lawn maintainence on the dividers. Bangalore City was brimming with vehicles and cops don't care checking. We were worried about Bangalore cops but they were all busy on their phones.
alstonlobo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 19:20   #8733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Left Mangalore at 9am and reached Bangalore at 4pm. The only place where cops were checking was after sakaleshpur. That's the only barricade. Initially they did not let us pass. But then we gave our reasons and he had to let us go since many cars were piling up. There were many barricades in the way but no cops. The shiradi ghat was empty and it was a breeze to drive throughout the journey. The roads from Hassan to Kunigal were at some places converted to one ways due to lawn maintainence on the dividers. Bangalore City was brimming with vehicles and cops don't care checking. We were worried about Bangalore cops but they were all busy on their phones.
Thanks for sharing. The reason cops stopped you was because it's post 10AM.
A relative of mine travelled from Bangalore to Shimoga day before yesterday. He left at 3AM and reached by 7AM. No checks anywhere.

Also there were news reports of people rushing into Bangalore from rural areas a few days back.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 16:33   #8734
BHPian

Can somebody from Mangaluru please tell me where in Mangaluru I can get to see the big ships from a distance (of a few hundred meters)? This kid lives next door is my best friend and my lockdown buddy . We developed close friendship as he studies from home and I work from home and get to spend a lot of time together.

Apparently he is the biggest fan of Airplanes and Ships and I have told him we will go watch the ships and planes after the Pandemic .
Old 9th June 2021, 17:14   #8735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Road_Rover View Post
Can somebody from Mangaluru please tell me where in Mangaluru I can get to see the big ships from a distance
Till someone from Mangalore chips in, am going to guess and say Panambur Beach. It's right next to the new Mangalore port so ships should be visible entering and leaving.
Old 10th June 2021, 11:46   #8736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Road_Rover View Post
Can somebody from Mangaluru please tell me where in Mangaluru I can get to see the big ships from a distance (of a few hundred meters)? This kid lives next door is my best friend and my lockdown buddy . We developed close friendship as he studies from home and I work from home and get to spend a lot of time together.

Apparently he is the biggest fan of Airplanes and Ships and I have told him we will go watch the ships and planes after the Pandemic .
If you are looking for smaller one's then t has to be Panambur. From beach you can't see it closeby, if you can get inside port, you get a good view.
Bunder(old port) is where you can see small-medium sized fishing boats from a closer range.
Old 13th June 2021, 12:56   #8737
BHPian

Does anyone know if inter-district travel within Karnataka is allowed from tomorrow? Several news articles have mentioned that it would be allowed but I didn't see any mention of it in the official government circular.
Old 13th June 2021, 13:07   #8738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
Does anyone know if inter-district travel within Karnataka is allowed from tomorrow? Several news articles have mentioned that it would be allowed but I didn't see any mention of it in the official government circular.
Till 21, officially Hasana and DK disticts are under lockdown. Yet I have heard from many people that they have been travelling through these districts in the early hours of the morning. Its all your luck and risk.
Old 17th June 2021, 15:58   #8739
BHPian

I drove to Bangalore today. Started from M'lore at 6:15 AM and reached BG road at 1:15.
No cops or any checking being done. Multiple barricades are setup though.

Roads leading to Sakleshpur have multiple craters. Sedans must navigate carefully due to the rain and bad road conditions.
Old 17th June 2021, 16:28   #8740
Distinguished - BHPian

Cops are stopping vehicles coming from Mangalore side at Udupi border. I saw people going to a counter, it could be screening or taking down the details of travellers. I didn't have to go through it as the cops let me pass after I told am a doctor. This happened at 2 30 pm today. I was driving to Manipal from Mangalore. No checking on highways when I went towards Mangalore though in the morning.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 17th June 2021 at 16:29.
Old 19th June 2021, 12:00   #8741
BHPian

I drove from Bangalore to Udupi and back this week. Through CharmaDi ghats. Started at 6 AM and reached at XX AM (pretty fast). Nobody bothered stopping anywhere. Peaceful journey.
Dhruvataare has outdoor seating and also giving masala dose in paper plates as parcel, enjoyed that on the way.

From Ibbani cafe till Malnad cafe there are some rough roads, go slow, but apart from that roads are pretty smooth. Can cruise at good speeds.

I must say, CharmaDi is bliss in rainy season! There are like 25 waterfalls, with open sunroof car is filled with clouds, heaven on earth stuff! Need to experience to feel it. I was laughing all through the ghats, couldn't control it

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_7544.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_7546.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_7549.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_7551.jpg

Last edited by shrinath_m2 : 19th June 2021 at 12:04.
shrinath_m2 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 09:49   #8742
BHPian

Although we made it to Bangalore last week, now plans are on for traveling back to Mangalore.
Aiming for a Saturday but skeptical about the so called weekend curfew. Not sure about the situation with cops on the way, however this article strengthens my apprehensions.

https://www.daijiworld.com/news/news...?newsID=845208
Old 21st June 2021, 13:58   #8743
BHPian

Quote:
Although we made it to Bangalore last week, now plans are on for traveling back to Mangalore.
Aiming for a Saturday but skeptical about the so called weekend curfew.
I know someone who traveled from Bangalore to Udupi last Saturday between 6 AM to 12 PM. They were not stopped anywhere and it was a smooth drive all through.

I feel the police is more strict about Night curfew.
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 14:00   #8744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
I know someone who traveled from Bangalore to Udupi last Saturday between 6 AM to 12 PM. They were not stopped anywhere and it was a smooth drive all through.

I feel the police is more strict about Night curfew.

But my travel is on a Saturday which falls under the weekend curfew, so there is no relaxation time or any of the sorts, which leaves us without any room for escape.
Old 21st June 2021, 14:36   #8745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But my travel is on a Saturday which falls under the weekend curfew, so there is no relaxation time or any of the sorts, which leaves us without any room for escape.
There is lack of clarity. While rule says weekend curfew, you ca still go out to get groceries. Folks are not strict this time around, if they find travel genuine they will let you go. Folks travelling to temple are being sent back at Gundya.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks