Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2021, 20:45   #8821

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Is the Shiradi ghat open after 7pm? We are travelling from Bangalore to Mangalore on Saturday, so which is the best route to be taken if traveling at night?
Old 5th August 2021, 21:28   #8822
Senior - BHPian

Drove from udupi to bangalore via agumbe ckm today. There were no checkposts along the way and everything felt normal.

I guess everyone is busy with change in state leadership and awaiting further instructions.
Old 5th August 2021, 23:57   #8823
BHPian

Planning to drive on Sunday morning towards Mangalore from Bangalore. Via Madikeri is the route we have in mind but planning to take Bisle ghat since maps shows the distance shorter than via Madikeri. What's do you guys recommend? We will be going in 2 cars, Bolero and Figo.
Old 7th August 2021, 11:34   #8824
BHPian

Mangalore is under weekend lockdown starting today. It may be worthwhile to check what the rules are before you start your journey. If this is a leisure trip, you may want to instead go via Chikmagalur to Udupi. You would bypass DK this way.
Old 7th August 2021, 14:17   #8825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
Mangalore is under weekend lockdown starting today. It may be worthwhile to check what the rules are before you start your journey. If this is a leisure trip, you may want to instead go via Chikmagalur to Udupi. You would bypass DK this way.
My residence is in Mangalore City so it's important to reach Mangalore. I thought Chikmagalur requires negative PCR report to enter.
Old 11th August 2021, 16:12   #8826
SGK
BHPian

Drove to Mangalore from Bangalore on 7-Aug and took Shiradi Ghat road, roads till Hasan is amazing as usual and from Hasan to Sakleshpur roads are damaged due to rains and lots of places road work is going on. From Sakleshpur they have diverted the traffic via small ghat section till Maranahalli which was very scenic, but narrow and deserted road. Also, there was no direction board in most of places where you need to take an exit to connect to the main road and with patchy GPS network, we were struggling to find the correct road. Luckily, few locals directed us towards the correct direction. Drivers who are not frequent in this road, please take note of this diversion and also mind the size of the road.
We started around 5:15 AM and reached Mangalore at 1:00 PM with very minimal breaks.
SGK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 11:07   #8827
BHPian

Did Mangalore - Bangalore via Charmadi (11 Aug 2021)
Very scenic! Roads were very good in the ghats. Moderate traffic. Smooth drive without any jams - (around 9 AM)
Only one big cause for major delay - You end up stopping at every turn to soak in the amazing sights and click a few pics.

JCB excavator / earth movers were standing by at some 3 places. [Assuming this is some precautionary presence to reach any landslide location ASAP]

Police was checking "papers" with motorists at multiple locations. We were never stopped. And no notice or talk of any Covid test / report anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pxl_20210809_063605880.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pxl_20210809_064503401.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pxl_20210809_0645437762.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pxl_20210811_030042598.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pxl_20210811_031139202.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pxl_20210811_0312242382.jpg  

CLIX is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 11:35   #8828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGK View Post
Drove to Mangalore from Bangalore on 7-Aug and took Shiradi Ghat road
Was there any delay entering Mangalore since it was a weekend and the weekend lockdown was announced?

Anyone have any idea what the rules are about travelling during the weekend lockdown? Is it allowed or is the weekend lockdown absolute? Have to go to Mangalore next month, but will be a pain to take a day off just to travel, would rather do it on a weekend. Other option is to fly I guess, since flights are still allowed on weekends.

Last edited by am1m : 12th August 2021 at 11:36.
Old 12th August 2021, 13:19   #8829
SGK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Was there any delay entering Mangalore since it was a weekend and the weekend lockdown was announced?
I have travelled during the lockdown and didn't find any issue, in fact no one stopped us on the entire route (Probably might be due to the first day of lockdown).
I think you are allowed to travel between 5 AM to 2 PM as local essential shops are open during this window.

PS: My stay was in Surathkal next to the highway and was not required to enter into the city.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th August 2021 at 06:58. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
SGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 22:03   #8830

Guys, We Took the Charmadi Route Today. Udupi To Blore.

Started from Udupi at 4:15AM, reached Charmadi at 6:00AM. Absolutely Chaotic scene, Chock-a-block traffic end to end, We initially had to wait at the check post for about 20mins as the cops were releasing the traffic in batches. Very difficult to overtake due to the constant serpentine queue of trucks.

I very frequently travel through Charmadi and had seen this kind of traffic 5 years back when Shiradi was closed for repairs. Never expected Traffic in Charmadi to be this bad. Seems like everything apart from Bullet tankers, the Private Run Buses and Rajahamsa(KSRTC) were allowed.

This may also be due to fact that 6:00AM is the allowed Entry time. I did not see such chaos last week(Aug 5th), when I took Charmadi at around 11:00 in the morning towards Udupi.

I have all of this recorded on my dashcam and will very soon convert it to a time-lapse and upload it to youtube.

Looking at all of this, I feel Agumbe is the best bet currently as Shiradi is already bearing the brunt of the rain gods.
Old 13th August 2021, 23:10   #8831
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srihari154 View Post
Never expected Traffic in Charmadi to be this bad. Seems like everything apart from Bullet tankers, the Private Run Buses and Rajahamsa(KSRTC) were allowed.
That is why most of us are sticking to Shiradi/Bisle, where heavy vehicles are not allowed.
Old 14th August 2021, 10:30   #8832
Senior - BHPian

My parents along with my nephew took Shiradi day before to reach Bengaluru from Udupi. The traffic after Mani seems to be sparse on a weekday according to them.

There is a detour from Marebahalli police station which takes you through some excellent country sides to join Mudigere road which in turn gets you to Sakleshpura. This will be a 30 odd kms detour.

This seems to be a sensible option looking at the mad rush on Charmadi, if the bad stretches between Hassan and Sakleshpura be left out. The work on this stretch seem to be progressing at a steady pace now.

They took 9 hours to reach Gottigere from Udupi with a breakfast and lunch stop enroute.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th August 2021 at 11:24. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 14th August 2021, 12:35   #8833
Senior - BHPian

We are planning (actually contemplating due to evolving situation) for a trip to Kundapura from 19 to 22 August. Google map is showing Agumbe route. Looking at some previous posts, it seems Agumbe route should be fine.

My wife and I are fully vaccinated and we have two kids. Looks like at this point of time Udupi is not under restriction, apart from night curfew. Any Covid related protocol we need to keep in mind while travelling from Bengaluru to Kundapura? If weekend curfew is imposed, we can extend the trip by a day or two.
Old 14th August 2021, 12:45   #8834
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
We are planning (actually contemplating due to evolving situation) for a trip to Kundapura from 19 to 22 August.
Right now there is no restriction. But the rules for 15th onwards is not yet declared. It is all fluid right now. Even I am awaiting to hear about new restrictions before planning my next drive.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 10:00   #8835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srihari154 View Post
.....constant serpentine queue of trucks.

..... This may also be due to fact that 6:00AM is the allowed Entry time. I did not see such chaos last week(Aug 5th), when I took Charmadi at around 11:00 in the morning towards Udupi.
Just what I heard too. Early AM when the gates to Charmadi are opened it takes some time for the overnight pile up to clear. Mainly trucks. Best time these days seems to be after 10am, to enter the ghats.

Most Viewed