Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2021, 09:03   #8851
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Anyone know if Shiradi is open post 6PM for cars? As per latest news ghat is open for all vehicles from 6AM-6PM.
Old 27th August 2021, 14:04   #8852
BHPian

Hi all - I am planning to visit Sakleshpur from Chennai next month. Google maps shows Bangalore -> Hassan -> Sakleshpur as the shortest and quickest route. Any update on road conditons?
Thanks in advance
Old 27th August 2021, 14:20   #8853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
Bangalore -> Hassan -> Sakleshpur
This is the most used but Hassan - Sakleshpur not in great shape. If you can try Hassan - Belur - Mudigere if that is closer to your end destination.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 14:30   #8854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
This is the most used but Hassan - Sakleshpur not in great shape. If you can try Hassan - Belur - Mudigere if that is closer to your end destination.
Thank you so much. Visiting Belur/Halebeedu is on the cards but on the way back.
However given that Hassan -> Sakleshpur is not in great shape I would take Hassan -> Belur ->Sakleshpur for both ways
Old 27th August 2021, 15:49   #8855
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all - I am planning to visit Sakleshpur from Chennai next month. Google maps shows Bangalore -> Hassan -> Sakleshpur as the shortest and quickest route. Any update on road conditons?
If Sakleshpur is your final destination, then Bangalore -> Hassan -> Sakleshpur should be fine. The road between Hassan and Sakleshpur is being widened and not in great shape.
Meph1st0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 19:37   #8856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However given that Hassan -> Sakleshpur is not in great shape I would take Hassan -> Belur ->Sakleshpur for both ways
Depends on vehicle you are driving. I drove Sakleshpur - Hassan last Sunday and did not face much trouble with my TUV3OO, same was the case for my friend driving his XUV5OO. If you are driving a vehicle with larger wheel size, I believe you will be able to navigate bad patches easily.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 19:44   #8857
BHPian

Thanks airbus and Meph1st0

My final destination is just outside Sakleshpur and I drive a small hatchback. So I would prefer better roads even if the distance is slightly longer. Cheers
Old 27th August 2021, 20:48   #8858
BHPian

I did Bangalore to Mangalore two days ago via Hassan, Sakleshpur and Shirady. The Hassan to Sakleshpur stretch is bad in patches, but manageable if you drive slowly on the non concrete stretches. I drove on my Hyundai Verna. If you are not in a great hurry and are willing to bear with a lot of dust, you can take this route.
Old 27th August 2021, 23:04   #8859
Team-BHP Support

I drove today, so I have even latest update.

Most of the Hassan-Sakleshpur stretch is now upgraded to concrete, if not 4-lane. The in-between sections are some times gravel and sometimes the old tar road. Generally, it is ok. There is no real torture if you are slowly after Hassan.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 23:25   #8860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I drove today, so I have even latest update.

Most of the Hassan-Sakleshpur stretch is now upgraded to concrete, if not 4-lane. The in-between sections are some times gravel and sometimes the old tar road. Generally, it is ok. There is no real torture if you are slowly after Hassan.
Thanks for the latest update!
Curious to know if there’s any road work going on at Hassan - Sakleshpur stretch?
How is it post Sakleshpur.

Thanks,
Arvind
Old 27th August 2021, 23:31   #8861
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Thanks for the latest update!
Curious to know if there’s any road work going on at Hassan - Sakleshpur stretch?
How is it post Sakleshpur.
The landslide damage has been some what fixed, now all heavy vehicles are allowed.

They have also fixed rest of the road to some extent. I didn't come across any painful section like before the landslide.

The concrete 4-lane construction between hassan-Sakleshpur is work in progress. Every time I see more concrete sections I can drive on.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 09:43   #8862
Senior - BHPian

Did a Bangalore Udupi Bangalore run on Wednesday and Thursday through Charmadi. Was a blissful drive with hardly any vehicles on Charmadi. Covered the 403 kms in 9 hours both ways with three stops.
For a change, took Karkala town and Hassan ring road on return and found both to be quicker than the bypass routes. The Hassan ring road is dotted with lots of speed breakers though and can be painful in slow moving traffic.

Last edited by unk9ja : 28th August 2021 at 09:44.
Old 28th August 2021, 18:46   #8863
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore-Udupi today through Shiradi. Bangalore-Hassan great road. Can't understand why everyone congregates at Dhruvtare restaurant for breakfast when there are several similar restaurants along the way and a couple barely a km further. Hassan-Sakleshpur and till the concrete ghat section painful. Road not terrible, but several sections under construction, narrow, widening, etc. Very manageable even in a small car, but slow going. Shiradi ghat concrete section in good shape. Ghat to Mangalore usual traffic and narrow in sections but good road. Mangalore-Udupi good NH-66 as usual. Supposed to be a weekend curfew or post-afternoon curfew or something in these districts, but everything was open and people everywhere.

Last edited by am1m : 28th August 2021 at 18:49.
Old 28th August 2021, 19:05   #8864
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Can't understand why everyone congregates at Dhruvtare restaurant for breakfast when there are several similar restaurants along the way and a couple barely a km further.
What a coincidence... Yesterday for the first time I stopped at Dhruvtare to find out what the hoopla was all about. The meals was tasteless, I didn't think someone could screw up rasam and sambar so near to Bangalore. I should have stuck with Mayura.

Looks like we both are in Udupi at the same time. If you are free we can meet.

The notional weekend curfew exists only in Hassan and DK, but not in Udupi.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 17:07   #8865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Can't understand why everyone congregates at Dhruvtare restaurant for breakfast when there are several similar restaurants along the way and a couple barely a km further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What a coincidence... Yesterday for the first time I stopped at Dhruvtare to find out what the hoopla was all about. The meals was tasteless, I didn't think someone could screw up rasam and sambar so near to Bangalore. I should have stuck with Mayura.
Yesterday, on our way back from M'lore via Charmady, stopped over at 'Swati Delicacy' and it was mighty crowded. Had to wait for 15+ mins amidst people jumping the queue for the tables. But food made it worth, the wait and effort.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed