Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2021, 19:33   #8866
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Can't understand why everyone congregates at Dhruvtare restaurant for breakfast when there are several similar restaurants along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What a coincidence... Yesterday for the first time I stopped at Dhruvtare to find out what the hoopla was all about. The meals was tasteless, I didn't think someone could screw up rasam and sambar so near to Bangalore. I should have stuck with Mayura.
The only reason I see is the location. Swati Delicacy is on opposite side and you need a good kilometer and half to come back or drive on wrong side whereas Dhruvathare offers the same ambience on the go. I had been there once and I found the food very bland. Only exception was the bonda soup that saved that day.

I always prefer Swati Delicacy, Mayura at Bellur cross and HVR in Hassan for food. They have never disappointed me.

Another good option is Ullas Refreshments in Melkar if you are at that place in time for breakfast or lunch.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 19:40   #8867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What a coincidence... Yesterday for the first time I stopped at Dhruvtare to find out what the hoopla was all about. The meals was tasteless, I didn't think someone could screw up rasam and sambar so near to Bangalore. I should have stuck with Mayura.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Yesterday, on our way back from M'lore via Charmady, stopped over at 'Swati Delicacy' and it was mighty crowded. Had to wait for 15+ mins amidst people jumping the queue for the tables. But food made it worth, the wait and effort.
Agree with you both on Mayura and Swati. I drove up and down Puttur last week and ended up at Mayura for breakfast while going down and Dinner at Swati while returning. Both have been good and everyone in family and friends have same opinion. I actually went to Swati delicacy after long time and was happy. They are really crowd pullers.

Also, I noticed one annoying thing on the concrete section of the ghats. Some bends had layer of tar over concrete, dont know why it was done, is giving up now and soon it will become really irritating to drive over it. Hope it will be re-patched or removed completely.
Old 30th August 2021, 08:31   #8868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
The only reason I see is the location.
There's another place barely a km further from Dhruvthare, on the same side of the road, seems new and seemed equally clean with good bathrooms. On Saturday morning at least, that place had a lot of tables free while Dhruvtahre was packed with people parking on the highway too. Don't know the name of this new restaurant, didn't notice, but we stopped there for breakfast. And as far as food goes, am probably the wrong person to ask since it doesn't make too much difference to me when travelling. I prefer convenience and less crowd over taste. So I can't say whether the food was better or worse. But for those who would like to avoid the crowd, there are a few more options now.

Came to Mangalore from Udupi yesterday. Since it was a Sunday, the curfew was on, shops were shut in Mangalore and cops were around but no one seemed to be stopping traffic, there were enough people driving around.

Last edited by am1m : 30th August 2021 at 08:36.
Old 30th August 2021, 08:50   #8869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
There's another place barely a km further from Dhruvthare, on the same side of the road, seems new and seemed equally clean with good bathrooms.
That should be Vyshali. Did it have a couple of elephant statues at the entrance? It opened its doors maybe a fortnight ago. I also saw very few vehicles here from my past three outings on this road. The Non veg/ Veg option might put off a few people on this stretch.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 08:57   #8870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did it have a couple of elephant statues at the entrance?
Yes, that's the one, I saw an elephant statue and a couple of others too. Didn't realize it was that new, guess it will get crowded too once people come to know it's there.

Last edited by am1m : 30th August 2021 at 08:59.
Old 30th August 2021, 19:10   #8871
BHPian

Quote:
Within Belur it is quite OK and good after you exit Belur.
=====
After Karkala, you can take Karkala - Palli - Moodubelle - Dendoorkatte - Kukkikatte - Udupi. This road seems to be in better shape, shorter and faster. Hope this helps.
I'm not sure about the roads the other roads or routes but the road from Moodubelle -Udupi is under work and one will have to be very careful when driving through this road. The road down from Manipal - Parkala - Athradi is also in bad shape. Take it easy guys !
Old 30th August 2021, 20:39   #8872
BHPian

So owing to recent rains and ongoing monsoon... would this be the quickest/most comfortable/least pothole ridden route to take the charmadi ghat to Blr ?

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1.jpg
Old 31st August 2021, 15:15   #8873
BHPian

I traveled last week from Bangalore to Brahmavar through Agumbe. Followed google for the most part except that I traveled through Sringeri. The roads were good throughout and traffic sparse. Only one stretch of road was bad for a few kilometers, around Gendehalli I think. This stretch will not be encountered if one travels to Aldur via Chikmagalur, though it is manageable.
Old 31st August 2021, 19:19   #8874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
So owing to recent rains and ongoing monsoon... would this be the quickest/most comfortable/least pothole ridden route to take the charmadi ghat to Blr ?

Attachment 2200204
This road is good as per my last drive, but usually I prefer Padubidri route - wider routes through Belman - Nitte - Karkala.

PS - There's a tandoori chai before Bajegoli post office, it's good. If it isn't your "cup of tea", you can try tandoori horlicks too :P
shrinath_m2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 21:11   #8875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
This road is good as per my last drive, but usually I prefer Padubidri route - wider routes through Belman - Nitte - Karkala.

PS - There's a tandoori chai before Bajegoli post office, it's good. If it isn't your "cup of tea", you can try tandoori horlicks too :P

There are soo many routes to Karkala. Let me try the route you suggested. Anyways I never liked the work in progress route from Manipal-karkala.
But this seems to be 22kms more already (As per maps i mean)

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-3.jpg
Old 31st August 2021, 21:42   #8876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
There are soo many routes to Karkala. Let me try the route you suggested. Anyways I never liked the work in progress route from Manipal-karkala.
But this seems to be 22kms more already (As per maps i mean)

Attachment 2200623

Yup. It is a little long. But you spend most of those extra kms on NH66 or on the wider SH.
Other roads are mostly narrow and much more twisty-er.
So those extra kms will go faster and smoother. I drive a little spirited anyway, so I know I like fast highways.

Anyway, try once, if not comfortable, you can go in twisty inroads next time 🙂
shrinath_m2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 22:40   #8877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only reason I see is the location. Swati Delicacy is on opposite side and you need a good kilometer and half to come back or drive on wrong side whereas Dhruvathare offers the same ambience on the go. I had been there once and I found the food very bland. Only exception was the bonda soup that saved that day.

I always prefer Swati Delicacy, Mayura at Bellur cross and HVR in Hassan for food. They have never disappointed me.

Another good option is Ullas Refreshments in Melkar if you are at that place in time for breakfast or lunch.
Dhruvathare have managed to establish themself as an upmarket place. They have better restrooms, more upmarket ambience and price is on the higher side. Food though is average and nothing great.

Swathi is good but most of the time is crowded.

Halli mane caters to specific taste buds. Food is oily and on spicier side. Hygiene is just ok.

Mayura is good and oldest but menu is limited. During my last visit for dinner they just had few items.

Paakashale and Anagha grand are the most underrated ones. Fresh food, clean restrooms, reasonably priced and food taste hits the right notes with my taste buds.

In Sakleshpur, I find hotel Srinivas the best among all. Food is tastier, cheap price and restroom though old school are cleaner. Only problem is parking especially during day time.

HVR is the one inside city? I have heard good reviews but never been able to make it.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 02:51   #8878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
I too have heard good reviews, but always found it closed when I drive on that side.

There is Hotel Bhuvaneshwari opposite to that place which serves some excellent food. Do try the pulao between 0700-1100 at this place.
Old 2nd September 2021, 07:52   #8879
BHPian

Drove from Mangalore to Bangalore yesterday (01 Sep 2021).

Route: Shiradi - Hassan
Car: Jetta TDI
Travel time: Started at 8:00am, reached Nelamangala at 2:00pm. Includes about 40 minutes of breaks.

Road condition:
Mangalore to Gundya - Generally good. Occasional shallow potholes. Traffic was moderately heavy in the early sections, up to Uppinangady.
Gundya to Shakleshpur - The concrete section is good. Last few kilometres slow you down as there is ongoing road work.
Shakleshpur to Hassan - many stretches of rough, broken, unfinished gravelly surface. Driveable in any car, but need to take it slow. Did not scrape bottom anywhere despite car being fully loaded. Several lane diversions too.
Hassan to Nelamangala - Fastest section. Traffic density will determine rate of progress especially in the two-lane sections just after Hassan. Few short diversions into service roads for ongoing road repairs. watch out for ridiculous speed breakers at these diversions. Thankfully these were few.

Refreshment break: We stopped at Ossoor just after
Shakleshpur. Washrooms are clean. Was not crowded. There are tables outside on the verandha, so felt safer. But don't expect much choice - you can have either rice rotis (akki roti) or dosas.
cogWheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 14:48   #8880
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Planning to visit Kukke Subramanya from Bangalore.
Which route is better

1. BLR-> Nelamangala-> Channarayapattna -> HoleNarasipura->Arkalagudu -> Sanivarasanthe -> Bisle Ghat -> Subramanya

2. BLR-> Nelamangala-> Hassan--> Sakleshpura -> Gundya -> Subramanya

3. BLR--> MYS-> Medikeri --> Kayara --> Subramanya

4. BLR--> MYS-> Medikeri --> Sulya --> Sonangeri -> Subramanya

Car: Jetta TDI

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks