Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2021, 15:54   #8956
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I am returning to Bangalore from near kundapura this Sunday, starting early morning. Hows the stretch between Agumbe - Sringeri - Belur? I did charmady while coming last week and want to try agumbe next.
Old 15th October 2021, 16:04   #8957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
I am returning to Bangalore from near kundapura this Sunday, starting early morning. Hows the stretch between Agumbe - Sringeri - Belur? I did charmady while coming last week and want to try agumbe next.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post5156845

Please check this post from Parag. Thanks

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 15th October 2021 at 16:06.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 16:20   #8958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Agumbe stretch is good except for the hairpins where the roads have gone bad, but is it easily manageable. Agumbe to Sringeri is a beautiful stretch, the roads are narrow but its a lovely stretch, you will enjoy.

Sringeri to Aldur was good last year, I don't see any problems there. There is a route which connects to Belur from Aldur (Aldur - Gullanpete - Malahalli - Gendehalli - Belur), this is a better choice than going to Chikmagalur.
chethan.ram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 00:41   #8959
BHPian

Hi!

Planning a trip to Mangalore and then a visit to Kollur from there.

1. Is Shiradi ghat manageable at 7 am types wrt traffic?
2. Has the road between Sakleshpur and Hassan improved?
3. How negotiable is the return journey from Kollur to Mangalore post 6 pm?
4. What's the best road from Kollur to Bangalore if that's an option.

Thanks much in advance.

Naga Sid
Old 16th October 2021, 02:13   #8960
BHPian

Hi - Travelling to Kundapura from Bangalore via Belur. Taking Charmadi ghat since we wanted to enjoy the scenic views. After Guruvayanakere, can anyone suggest which would be the easier / comfortable to drive route among these three below?

1. Bajagoli - Karkala - Brahmavara - Kundapura
2. Bajagoli - Karkala - Nitte - Belman - Padubidre - Udupi - Kunadapura
3. Venur - Mudabidre - Hejamadi - Padubidre - Udupi - Kundapura

Preference would be not so winding route, broader and comfortable to drive without bad patches, even though if it takes a bit more time to reach and longer in distance. Thanks!
Old 16th October 2021, 07:35   #8961
Team-BHP Support

There is no escaping bad stretch between GV kere and Bajagoli. You may want to try Moodubidre route, but not much data is available about that route since rarely anyone takes it.

Everything is winding route, no escaping that too.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 08:05   #8962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
Hi - Travelling to Kundapura from Bangalore via Belur. Taking Charmadi ghat since we wanted to enjoy the scenic views. After Guruvayanakere, can anyone suggest which would be the easier / comfortable to drive route among these three below?

Preference would be not so winding route, broader and comfortable to drive without bad patches, even though if it takes a bit more time to reach and longer in distance. Thanks!
I did option 1 last week and just followed gmaps directions. Though I was apprehensive about taking interior roads from karkala to brahmavara, they turned out to be fine and empty. First time I've avoided the NH to this extent and it's definitely pleasant.
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 08:42   #8963
BHPian

Quote:

If Belur is not mandatory, you can actually take Bangalore - Channarayapatna - Arsikere - Tarikere - Lakkavalli - Thirthahalli - Hulikal Ghat - Kundapura.

If not, option 2 that you have mentioned is the safe bet. Roads are fantastic throughout and you don’t have to worry about it.

If you are passing by Nitte around lunch time, you can have Daal Kichidi in Hotel Ratna Forever, they make it really nice.
chethan.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 11:17   #8964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
If Belur is not mandatory, you can actually take Bangalore - Channarayapatna - Arsikere - Tarikere - Lakkavalli - Thirthahalli - Hulikal Ghat - Kundapura.

If not, option 2 that you have mentioned is the safe bet. Roads are fantastic throughout and you don’t have to worry about it.

If you are passing by Nitte around lunch time, you can have Daal Kichidi in Hotel Ratna Forever, they make it really nice.
Thanks, Chethan. I was also more inclined towards Option 2 as I remember that is broader and good tarmac. Wanted someone to validate that. Have done option 1 many times in the past while travelling between Sringeri and Dharmastala.
Belur is mandatory as we are having a overnight stay there. Thanks for your suggestion on Hotel Ratna, will consider in case if we reach there around lunch time. Will be leaving Belur by morning around 9:30. Surely will be multiple stops on Charmadi. Please suggest if there is a decent pure veg breakfast options in morning. Also suggest some other lunch options near Belthangady / Ujire.
Thanks again!
Old 16th October 2021, 11:53   #8965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I returned from Goa on Thursday and took a longer detour via Kundapura Udupi Charmadi to reach Bangalore.

If you are looking at wider route, consider Karkala Nitte Bellman Padubidre but that's the only widest section you will get on this entire route barring Mudigere to Banakal which is now fully widened.

Apart from that most sections including Charmadi or sections between Guruvayanakere to Karkala are not that wide but still very easily manageable.

As Samurai says, small sections between Guruvayanakere and Bajagoli are pothole ridden but to be very honest, they are not a concern at all as the stretches are limited of short lengths.

For Breakfast you may consider Ibbani Cafe after Mudigere Handpost on the way to Kottihegehara.

Then there is another called Nisarga Grand soon after Kottihegehara.

You will be taking exactly an hour to do Kottihegehara to Ujire with peaceful pace and hence for lunch you can ideally consider Padubidre itself because anything before this will be early.

However, at Belthangady and Ujire there are few options that I had listed here in case you want to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Try these options:
  • Halli Mane - You will get this before Ujire gets busier and before you close in on the town area. However, remember that this place serves both Veg and Non-Veg
  • Panchami Jain - This will be on Ujire Dharmasthala Road, a deviation from the regular Ujire-Belthangady road but the detour is going to be less than 1 km
  • Belthangady has a better choice called Durga Grand and I would prefer this over the other two
PS: On Thursday, we stopped briefly at Durga Grand for tea and bio break. It is right inside the not so busy Bus Stand complex but has an AC Hall and well maintained rest rooms.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th October 2021 at 11:58.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 15:04   #8966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If you are looking at wider route, consider Karkala Nitte Bellman Padubidre but that's the only widest section you will get on this entire route barring Mudigere to Banakal which is now fully widened…

You will be taking exactly an hour to do Kottihegehara to Ujire with peaceful pace and hence for lunch you can ideally consider Padubidre itself because anything before this will be early.
Thanks Parag. Good to know you did Charmadi recently. Hope you had a good time in Goa.
That was a wealth of info in your response. Thanks again for that. I might probably try Belman-Padubidre route as you suggested. As you are saying, Moodabidre route is not wider, I will knock off that for now.

In case if I reach Padubidre by lunch time, Can you suggest a good lunch place there?
Old 16th October 2021, 15:22   #8967
BHPian

Quote:

In case if I reach Padubidre by lunch time, Can you suggest a good lunch place there?
If you reach Padubidre by lunch time, I would say you push another 30kms to reach Udupi. You have multiple options in Udupi. If you are looking at Veg options, there is a new place called Manipal Inn, which has a veg restaurant called Udupi Rasoi which is very good. They have a non-veg restaurant as well. You will find this on the highway and there won't be any detour. Other options for veg in Udupi are Diana, Madhuvan (Manipal), Ocean Pearl, etc.
chethan.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 16:20   #8968
BHPian

I traveled to Udupi on 9th and returned yesterday.
Onward journey was through Charmadi route. Route opted was - Bangalore -> Hassan -> Belur -> Charmadi -> Belthangady -> Karkala -> Hiriyadka -> Brahmavar.
The roads are very good throughout especially the ghat with sparse traffic. The weather in Charmadi was fantastic even at 10 in the morning.The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc_2549.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc_2536.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc_2541.jpg
During the return journey, we decided to drive through Shiradi as my son threw up during the Charmadi drive. The route from Udupi is good all the way to Shiradi including the ghats but the horror started afterward. From Shiradi to Sakleshpur town, roads are in very bad shape. Then from Sakleshpur to Hassan, roads are not in good condition due to the road widening. To make matters worse it was raining throughout and it was dark (mistake from my side).
Meph1st0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 17:10   #8969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
If you reach Padubidre by lunch time, I would say you push another 30kms to reach Udupi. You have multiple options in Udupi. If you are looking at Veg options, there is a new place called Manipal Inn, which has a veg restaurant called Udupi Rasoi which is very good. They have a non-veg restaurant as well. You will find this on the highway and there won't be any detour. Other options for veg in Udupi are Diana, Madhuvan (Manipal), Ocean Pearl, etc.
Hi Chethan - Thanks! Udupi and restaurants there I am quite familiar. Padubidre I just wanted to explore since Parag mentioned about it. And looking for Pure Veg places.
Old 16th October 2021, 23:17   #8970
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Chethan - Thanks! Udupi and restaurants there I am quite familiar. Padubidre I just wanted to explore since Parag mentioned about it. And looking for Pure Veg places.
The restaurant 'Vijaya Bhavan' at the junction where the karkala road meets the highway is a good option for vegetarian fare in Padubidri.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks