Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2021, 15:15   #8986
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I think you must select only AC Chair car or Executive Chair Car to be able to book a seat in Vistadome coach.
It is the Executive Chair Car that you need to book. Costs upwards of 1350 per person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Kids will love it for sure, here are some snaps
My dad and cousin took the same train a little over a month ago from Mangalore to Bangalore after looking forward to it. But they came out unimpressed. Here are a few reasons (could be specific to their journey):

1. From Mangalore these bogies are in the front of the train (just after the engine). So instead of the panoramic view from the cafeteria lounge, you can see the back of the engine.

2. AC did not function for almost half of the journey

3. From Mangalore, the train starts just before noon. With the Sun straight overhead, it beams down the "Panoramic Sunroof" but there is no option to block it with curtains or anything. Combined with point # 2 above, not a good place to be in.

4. The latches on one of the washrooms was broken and couldn't be locked.

5. When one pair of seats rotates, the adjacent one cannot (this is just a crib).

6. The route through the ghats is freshly cut (hardly a few years old), so for a lot of time, all you can see is just bare rock face. (This is dad's perception, but he feels the views you get on the road routes is better).

7. Train arrived an hour late (again specific case).

Overall he was unimpressed and not worth the hype.

But I guess the Bangalore - Mangalore direction route could be better perceived because of time of start and weather conditions in Bangalore as opposed to the hot - humid coastal weather.
Glifford is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 15:32   #8987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post

But I guess the Bangalore - Mangalore direction route could be better perceived because of time of start and weather conditions in Bangalore as opposed to the hot - humid coastal weather.
Yes, you should try the Bangalore Mangalore 7 am option to enjoy best of the views and weather. We didn't find issue with AC, washroom etc. Washroom that was clean at start was stinking halfway and it is no fault of the railway after providing best in class washrooms with water and all other facilities.

Turning of the seat can be a challenge if the neighbors doesn't cooperate, but we were lucky to be a group of 6.

We got lucky on the timing as well, Mangalore arrival was 10 mts earlier than the announced time

Trip may feel lengthy and boring if you are not in a group.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 19:20   #8988
Distinguished - BHPian

A new Cafe Coffee day is now operational on the Ujire to Dharmasthala route. The good thing is that this is just 1 km from Ujire circle. So anyone wanting clean rest rooms and don't mind a very small deviation, this is your CCD while heading to Mangalore/Udupi strategically located after that much needed descent from Charmadi Ghat.

Cafe Coffee Day, Ujire - Dharmasthala Road: Location

Name:  c6821d8b6fe746f6bcfcc6ee7c20208f.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  119.3 KB

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd October 2021 at 19:22.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 20:15   #8989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
A new Cafe Coffee day is now operational on the Ujire to Dharmasthala route.
Thanks for sharing, good info to have as I am driving to Mangalore tomorrow morning and taking the Charmadi route.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 17:08   #8990
BHPian

Hi Folks,
Is Bangalore Sakleshpur Mangalore Udupi Road drivable presently? Or have to opt for charmadi? Having time constraints hence shorter duration trip preferred..
TIA
Old 25th October 2021, 20:00   #8991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navinkamath4657 View Post
Hi Folks,
Is Bangalore Sakleshpur Mangalore Udupi Road drivable presently? Or have to opt for charmadi? Having time constraints hence shorter duration trip preferred..
TIA
The Hassan <> Sakleshpur stretch is NO good. I would prefer Charmady for safe and faster travel.
JMaruru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 20:04   #8992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,
TIA
About 20 kms stretch near Sakleshpur is quite bad. Drivable, but pot hole ridden.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 22:56   #8993
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,
TIA
It’s better to avoid Shiradi as that one stretch is horrible. Charmadi is very peaceful and also, if your destination is Udupi, you don’t even have to touch Mangalore. My guess is, Charmadi will be faster as well.
chethan.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 11:55   #8994
BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to drive to Udupi this weekend with family. Any good restaurants recommendation before Hassan, preferably on the left side of the road with decent rest rooms? I used to go to A2B, but nowadays, their food quality is pathetic.

TIA
Old 26th October 2021, 12:06   #8995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Hi All,

I am planning to drive to Udupi this weekend with family. Any good restaurants recommendation before Hassan, preferably on the left side of the road with decent rest rooms? I used to go to A2B, but nowadays, their food quality is pathetic.

TIA
There is an Empire (with a separate Vegetarian Area), just before Hassan (before the Toll Gate).
There is also a Vaishali en-route, just after Yediyur.

Both of them are on the Left side.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 12:12   #8996
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

TIA
The famous ones for breakfast on this Highway are Swathi Delicacy, Mayura Bellur Cross, Dhruvataare and Pakashala. If you are okay to enter the Hassan city, you should try out Thuppa Set Dose at Gajanana Refreshments. Its not a fancy place, but you will love the Thuppa Set Dose there. Please do not expect any washrooms here. You can actually stop at Empire just before Hassan for a restroom break and also have a coffee or tea there. Then you are all set for Dose at Gajanana Refreshments.
chethan.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 12:23   #8997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,
TIA
Recently (2 days ago) friends did Bangalore Mangalore via Shridi ghat. Hassan - Sakleshpur part was terrible as per them. Would recommend Charmadi over this.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 12:25   #8998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

TIA
Try "Anagha Grand Veg Restaurant" which is just after Channarayapattana, good food
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 12:43   #8999
Team-BHP Support

How is Hoysala Food Park on Belur road? I see quite some crowd, but not sure about the food quality. So I never stop there.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 12:51   #9000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How is Hoysala Food Park on Belur road? I see quite some crowd, but not sure about the food quality. So I never stop there.
I had stopped there once for coffee. This was sometime last year, wasn’t impressive. I would avoid. You can stop for a coffee break to see how it is. It’s not something to depend on.
chethan.ram is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks