Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2008, 17:52   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Hey Deadguy25, what route are you finally taking? Sudden work has come up for which I will be travelling to Manipal early tomorrow morning (18th), maybe we'll see each other on the way. I'll be driving my Optra as usual.
As of now the route I'm thinking of taking is as suggested by Sushrutha ie.

Bangalore - Hassan- Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehar-Kalasa-Kudremukha-Karkala-Udupi or maybe the second suggested route ie.

Bangalore - Hassan- Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi-Ujire-Guruvayankere-Karkala-Udupi
Guys if any of you read this before I start, pls tell me which has better roads and would I possibly meet any T-Bhpians in and around manipal.

Cheers.
Hari.
Hi Hari,
take the 2nd route. The 1st one has bad stretches between Kottighera and Kalasa. I was in Kudremukh over the weekend and returned by Shiradi ghats. Take SH37 from Guruvayenkere to join NH13 to karkala (I came by this road and is mostly great surface)

Cheers,
Old 17th July 2008, 18:09   #77
Team-BHP Support

There is one road people should avoid like plague, trust me, I have driven this route 4 times since last one week. It's pure Hell. It is the stretch between B.C Road - Mangalore - Suratkal, and if you are coming at night, you will be blind like a bat with a damaged radar.

If you are coming in Shiradi, please avoid B.C road to Suratkal stretch at any cost, unless that is your destination. You can take following detours.

1) After shiradi ghat, take the turn towards Dharmastala, and then Ujire-Belthangadi-G.Kere-Karkala-Manipal-Udupi.
2) Turn towards Belthangadi at Uppinangadi, it will reach G.Kere and after that same route as above.
3) At B.C.Road turn towards Bajpe, then Katil-Kinnigolli-Mulki-Udupi.
Old 17th July 2008, 19:02   #78
BHPian

I think you can turn from B.C Road towards karkala and then join udupi.
Not sure though.
Samurai could you confirm on this.
Old 17th July 2008, 19:18   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There is one road people should avoid like plague, trust me, I have driven this route 4 times since last one week. It's pure Hell. It is the stretch between B.C Road - Mangalore - Suratkal, and if you are coming at night, you will be blind like a bat with a damaged radar.

If you are coming in Shiradi, please avoid B.C road to Suratkal stretch at any cost, unless that is your destination. You can take following detours.

1) After shiradi ghat, take the turn towards Dharmastala, and then Ujire-Belthangadi-G.Kere-Karkala-Manipal-Udupi.
2) Turn towards Belthangadi at Uppinangadi, it will reach G.Kere and after that same route as above.
3) At B.C.Road turn towards Bajpe, then Katil-Kinnigolli-Mulki-Udupi.
But when u r speaking of travelling to Kundapur, why wreck ur car travelling on equally idioitic surface between Udupi and Kundapur on NH17?
U can as well take Sringeri-Agumbe route (SH27 and SH1)
Old 17th July 2008, 19:30   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomingbhat View Post
I think you can turn from B.C Road towards karkala and then join udupi.
Yeah, that one goes through moodabidri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
But when u r speaking of travelling to Kundapur, why wreck ur car travelling on equally idioitic surface between Udupi and Kundapur on NH17?
Oh, there is no comaparison. Currently, the road is bad only between Saligrama and Santekatte, and it is 10 times better than the Mangalore-Suratkal mess.

People coming to Kundapur should not take Agumbe, you are better of taking Shivmoga-Hosanagara-Kollur which is via balebare ghat I think.
Old 17th July 2008, 23:26   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
A colleague of mine went to MLR yday via Volvo. I was shocked that he mentioned today that Shiradi was gone again and that the bus took it at 20 kmph. That road was smoothly relaid when I'd been there in May.
theMAG, please believe him completely. I drove back on Shiradi ghats last Sunday -> all the asphalted section between concreted widened bends are gone, some look like they have never been laid itself :-( Took 70-75 minutes to cover 20+km with all the traffic I faced at 4:30PM ... My recommendation to head in that direction from BLR - bypass Shiradi using Hassan -> Belur -> Mudighere -> Kottighera -> Belthangadi-> ...
Old 18th July 2008, 09:22   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I have personally experienced it..total mess

Plz avoid BC Road -Suratkal stretch

I pity the poor souls who live in BCRoad -Mangalore( It was my home once upon a time)
Old 21st July 2008, 11:21   #83
Senior - BHPian

Any new updates on the road conditions ?

Any one tried roads other than the regular shiradi(mentioned above). if yes please recommend which is better

I really want to avoid BC Road-Mangalore-Suratkal stretch and shiradi ghat is nothing great either

so one option is to take NH48 till dharmastal and then turn towards belthangadi and reach udupi

or take diversion in hasan towards belur and then take roads as suggested above

Any one with latest update please post( i took NH48 last on 14th july) I felt the roads were ok except for the traffic between BC Road-mangalore-suratkal..total mess and timewaste
Old 21st July 2008, 11:30   #84
BHPian

Best route to Surathkal?

Hi People,

I am looking at a Bengalooru-Surathkal drive this weekend. From the above posts, it looks like going through Mangalore to Surathkal is not a good idea. Can anyone tell me how I can reach Surathkal through the Hassan-Belur route?

Thanks,
NMA
Old 21st July 2008, 13:23   #85
BHPian

Hi team,

I took the Hassan-Sakleshpur-Dharmasthala-Ujjire-Karkala route to Udupi.

The ghat section, which I think is called Charmadi (the one after Sakelshpur) is in pretty bad shape. The authorities are replacing tar roads (which are almost non-existent at certain places) with concrete roads. It was raining kinda bad and traffic was pretty high. It was almost midnight when I reached the ghat section as I left Bangalore around 5pm.

I missed the turning to Dharmasthala, realised it after almost 10 Kms, so took a U-turn and came tearing up the ghat section and then found the deviation to Dharmasthala. Once we get into the Dharmasthala road, it is good but one has to be extremely careful at all the junctions. I took a left at the first junction instead of turning right and went ahead for 10-15 kms, stopped on a bridge which was half constructed. Had I gone a little furhter i would have nose dived 5 feet ! Again took a U-turn (got the car moving with a little difficulty as it started sinking in the sand) and found the correct way. The road is good all the way till Udupi.

Will pen a detailed write-up during the week.

Have a safe trip and thank you all very much,
deadguy25
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2008, 13:51   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Hi People,

I am looking at a Bengalooru-Surathkal drive this weekend. From the above posts, it looks like going through Mangalore to Surathkal is not a good idea. Can anyone tell me how I can reach Surathkal through the Hassan-Belur route?

Thanks,
NMA
The best possible route for you would be
BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-MUDIGERE-KOTTIGEHAR-KALASA-KUDREMUKHA-
BAJAGOLI-KARKALA-MULKI-SURATHKAL
Old 21st July 2008, 15:37   #87
BANNED

Yesterday returned back from Karkala to Bangalore via Shiradi ghat.Started 4Pm and reached 12.30 midnight.Bad news is that only concrete road is there and all tar road damaged fully.What a bad road construction.Government should ban such contractors for minimum 10 years from bidding.
I believe same old Shiradi story going to repeat this year also.
Old 21st July 2008, 16:17   #88
Senior - BHPian

Returned last evening from Theerthahalli.
Left for Manipal on 18th morning from bangalore. Took the following route:

Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmady-Ujire-Belthangady-Karkala-Manipal
Total distance approx 440kms

Good roads between Bangalore-Hassan.
Excellent between Hassan-Belur
Good between Belur-Mudigere
Good scenic drive with hardly any traffice between Mudigere-Ujire via the chamady ghats.
Ujire-Karkala is good
Good between Karkala-Manipal.

Travelogues with pics are due.
Cheers.
Hari.
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:56   #89
Senior - BHPian

Waiting for detailed travelogues

I felt shiradi(NH48) is much safer compared to charmadi(winding narrow roads?) may be i am wrong

So how do you people rate the charmadi ghat(it terms of curves, avg speed, steep angles etc.) i am sure the road quality is horrible in shiradi. so please explain other aspects

From my exp with shiradi, though the road is bad, the broad road made it much safer to negotiate the turns, also i felt number of curves were less and it was not that steep too

Last edited by rajshenoy : 22nd July 2008 at 12:57.
Old 22nd July 2008, 13:39   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So how do you people rate the charmadi ghat(it terms of curves, avg speed, steep angles etc.) i am sure the road quality is horrible in shiradi. so please explain other aspects
Charmadi ghat is narrower no doubt, but the lack of oncoming traffic makes it far more easier to drive through. even at Charmadi, some curves are in bad shape and the gradients are not too steep. In my drive through this stretch I don't remember having to move down to lower gears at all.

Most Viewed